• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Isn't Pikmin 4 a new first party game?

Ok yes it is. And zelda is also listed.
But as we don't know, i think that those titles aren't been developed from the start for NX. (but for the wii u). But we will see. I'm sure that they have some new thing going on (big secret which make the nx unique. That they will come with software that isn't something that can be done on the wii u.

“Honestly, no. Consumers know that effectively, as we complete one piece of hardware, we always start thinking about the next. So we’re constantly challenging ourselves. What’s new? What’s different? What’s coming down the pipe?”

“The way we approach it is when there’s a game or an approach that we can’t do on the current system, that’s when we begin in earnest to focus on the next system. So what that means is that our developers, a number of them must have certain ideas that will be enabled by the NX. We’re going to have to develop those ideas and get that software ready. And that’s going to drive the timing for when we provide more details on NX.”
https://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/...ave-certain-ideas-that-will-be-enabled-by-nx/

KageZero

There is no performance hit because it isn't 3D (two viewpoints for two eyes). It's standard rendering except the camera moves with your head.
No i know it's not 4d. I meant if it has to render the image again when you move but then it's just an angle change so it will be fine. Sometimes i write thing out before i think

Sony also footed the bill for Cloud to be in Smash too. Did you know that?
Yep. .

The FFVII talk confuses me. It's a timed exclusive on PS4, we know that much. And it's in chunks. Is the whole trilogy of games being released on PS4 first, then PC/NX as a complete collection, or will each game release first on PS4 then afterwards on other platforms?

Either way, it's pointless speculating this because it's at least a good few years away. If it is coming out for NX as well, it isn't going to be announced until the first game is close to being finished, if not on store shelves. FFXVI is far more likely.

If it comes to NX, I guess it could work like this. Another thing to consider is if the first episode of the FFVII remake comes out next year or the year after, b/c if it's the latter (and depending on how this PS4K thing pans out), then it'll be close to PS5 release, and that could de-sync scheduled release plans as they'd certainly want to optimize it for PS5 (or it could be getting optimized right now for PS4K).

Puts the XBO version in an interesting spot nonetheless b/c an NX version could out-prioritize an XBO one.

East Asia- Nintendo easily on top. Sony is doing worse than past generations console wise. The Vita is doing fine. MS is well, yeah.

That is if you only counting handhelds.
Consoles wise Sony and nintendo share Japan and PS4 seem to be doing better in other places in Asia.
Still there not much market in Japan anyway .

Banned
I think it's safe to assume that based on what I was told, the difference in power between the PS4 and NX is less than Xbox One to PS4. So if you can't see much difference between PS4 and XB1 the nx may not be much different from a game standpoint.

My takes.

Mario Maker DX would make a great stop gap launch title. Splatoon would be nice as well I guess. Hope a new 3D mario is coming though. And of course Zelda is cross gen.

Nintendo would have to try really hard to make something weaker then the PS4 / XB1.

And I HOPE Nintendo actually has games spread throughout its first year and this isnt another Nintendo console launch followed by 12 months of nothing

papo

This all sounds great if true.

I'm sure I'll be there day 1 as I am with most consoles.

I love new console time. Bring it

Peterc

Ok yes it is. And zelda is also listed.
But as we don't know, i think that those titles aren't been developed from the start for NX. (but for the wii u). But we will see. I'm sure that they have some new thing going on (big secret which make the nx unique. That they will come with software that isn't something that can be done on the wii u.

https://mynintendonews.com/2015/06/...ave-certain-ideas-that-will-be-enabled-by-nx/

Sound like we don't gonna see a new console anytime soon.

Ahab

Banned
I think it's safe to assume that based on what I was told, the difference in power between the PS4 and NX is less than Xbox One to PS4. So if you can't see much difference between PS4 and XB1 the nx may not be much different from a game standpoint.

Not surprising. When third party developers are going to have to keep parity across all the devices the difference in graphics is going to be minute. Hopefully the first part/exclusive games for the NX game take advantage of the more powerful hardware and do some good shit with it.

Malus

Well, I wasn't expecting to be able to notice the difference. The "more powerful" thing to me is just a way to confirm that Nintendo isn't releasing another Wii in terms of hardware, meaning a machine that isn't a huge jump over it's predecessor. That and if only for placebo effect reasons it'd be nice to know that the NX isn't weaker than 3 year old hardware, even if the difference isn't meaningful.

Peterc

T4 Rumors
The NX will be more powerful than the PS4. "By a noticeable amount"

This part from you sounds otherwise, not saying it isn't true.

Well then i expect games to be the same as PS4 games .
Maybe some better AA and effects but nothing that really that big .

mapet319

Banned
It's nice that these titles are hopefully getting new life on another console, but I'm more excited to find out what exactly the console is.

You said the NX is more powerful than the PS4 by a noticeable amount. I've never considered the PS4 more powerful than the X1 by a noticeable amount.

ZOONAMI

Is your source just PMs from the "verified" reddit leaker you were talking about in the other thread?

Given the tone of the mods here, that's kind of my guess.

I wouldn't believe much of anything from that "leaker." Reeks of fake.

You have a few good guesses here speculating on the gimmick! See, that's again why I'm thinking there'll be a tablet or at least compatibility with tablets/smartphones. You'd have access to a camera for doing AR and/or VR things, a second screen for games (to do Wii U/DS/3DS things they've loved playing with these last many years), access to separate software that you can take with you (again, they mentioned focusing on their NX games and their mobile software as different, yet related), additional processing power and behind-the-scenes oomph (SCD, just as one option), and the ability to do QOL and/or IOT stuff, especially with a dock (for their proprietary tablet or for, say, the latest iPhone and Galaxy).

I think they are responding to the whole "mobile will kill gaming" chatter by not viewing it as a competitor, but by bridging the gaps. Geez, the dock mentioned above could actually be a controller/DS-type shell that is compatible with smartphones and could let you do a reverse SCD thing and play your NX games around the house. I just really feel the NX is going to provide their "response" to the mobile wave and shift in how games are played, consumed, etc., at home and on the go.

Yeah I like the idea of something that's just a big controller with an SoC that wirelessly streams, something like the Sheild Portable but where the screen is optional. You could buy it bundled with a custom screen/nintendo mini tablet, or with a phone/tablet cradle for your own device, or just with a TV dongle to stream to. And having the smart device/dongle handle certain things might be possible, not sure what, layering a HUD at native resolution on top might make sense, maybe. That's my zany idea, a tablet would probably received better and cause less confusion :D

Galang

Banned
If all of those came true then that's a pretty solid list of games for NX's first year.

It's only very solid if you don't have other current gen consoles and never owned a Wii U. It's very weak in terms of exclusives, but I suppose those wouldn't be the only games in the first year either. It would be a promising start I suppose

This might be a hidden boon for devs, particularly Japanese devs, as it means they don't have to escalate the budgets for their biggest games to new levels just to tap into exponentially more powerful hardware.

Yes, but xbox has and still we see that ps4 is blowing MS away.

This is a good example of a really important match that is playing now:

2016-04-13_2057.png

Every match thats played, it's always playstation, also at the commercial breaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9RbxcA0sH8

Same with this video, mostly doesn't have allot to do about the game, but mainstream loves this.

What about MS, Nintendo, they have almost nothing.

So i really hope nintendo bring again some cool commercials again. They need to create the hype like they did on wii, but more like sony does.

Barcelona - Real Madrid had Xbox all over the place tho.

AntMurda

Putting things into perspective, there aren't any leaks or credible rumors about the system specs or features. We don't even have any information about the controller.

Now with that said, we all of a sudden have "sources" that know Nintendo of Japan is porting over Splatoon and Super Mario Maker? Not only that, but they are facing development challenges in doing so?

How incredibly illogical does this sound to people? The most public information would be the system specs and controller because that stuff actually circulates throughout the world. Yet, everyone's inside sources has the usual first wave of information secluded from them in favor of knowing the activities of the most secret developer on the planet? It doesn't make sense guys. Seriously think about it.

It sounds to me this is all fanboy conjecture and speculation. Everyone is piggybacking off of the Smash and Zelda rumblings - saying "oh we heard the same thing too" - and adding Mario maker and Splatoon which are intelligent estimations but I don't think anyone leaking knows jack.

Can I get an Amen?

Peterc

ps4 gpu is 40% more powerful, and it also has the much faster ram advantage, it's a pretty big difference.

So when comparing games from xbox1 vs ps4, you don't see allot noticeable differents.

Can we expect the same with ps4k?

I think 3rd party dev's would not take their time to create games for 4 consoles to use the benefits for it.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IirWOjgxOwk

Who cares about that extra power, I really can't see the differents... =-)

Maybe the framerate for some games could be better on ps4, but we know dev's would not again do something extra for ps4k.
The new 3ds has the same story.

This might be a hidden boon for devs, particularly Japanese devs, as it means they don't have to escalate the budgets for their biggest games to new levels just to tap into exponentially more powerful hardware.

Don't see it how it a plus for Japanese devs .
Most of them don't even use PS4 full power .
The ones that do now making PC version that more powerful than consoles any way .

I feel like I'm getting worn out with the rumors. It just feels like we're so close to a reveal, but we don't know when exactly it will be.

adroit

Now with that said, we all of a sudden have "sources" that know Nintendo of Japan is porting over Splatoon and Super Mario Maker? Not only that, but they are facing development challenges in doing so?

How incredibly illogical does this sound to people?

Can I get an Amen?
Very and yes. Amen. #TeamFacePalm

Putting things into perspective, there aren't any leaks or credible rumors about the system specs or features. We don't even have any information about the controller.

How incredibly illogical does this sound to people? The most public information would be the system specs and controller because that stuff actually circulates throughout the world. Yet, everyone's inside sources has the usual first wave of information secluded from them in favor of knowing the activities of the most secret developer on the planet? It doesn't make sense guys. Seriously think about it.

It sounds to me this is all fanboy conjecture and speculation. Everyone is piggybacking off of the Smash and Zelda rumblings - saying "oh we heard the same thing too" - and adding Mario maker and Splatoon which are intelligent estimations but I don't think anyone leaking knows jack.

Can I get an Amen?

The Mario Maker and splatoon stuff could easily be bunk, I agree, and even the sources themselves (10k and Emily) were commenting that they were unsure of them compared to the other two.

Mario Maker DOES make a lot of sense to port though. Splatoon really can go either way.

Scarfo

Banned
Ok there is this thread seen here. It was ok but nothing came out of it... until now.

Backing up, there's this Gaffer, 10k. Decent fella I presume. He was talking to other people with information on the NX which was verified by a mod. Here's his post in full:

Tl;DR
-NX is more powerful than PS4
-Splatoon and Mario Maker ports are in development (though might not get released)
-Smash and Zelda ports are also things but this isn't new information
-NDAs are tight
-Architecture is also under NDA
-Handheld isn't the main focus if there is one

This was backed up by famed insider Emily Rogers (credit to Georly for the screencap)

So yeah, whatever Nintendo has planned is going to probably be crazy for better or for worse. Still take it with a grain of salt.

I didn't want this interesting piece of information to be buried in another thread.
Mods, lock if you feel otherwise.

I can't wait! (My very 1st Neogaf comment) :)

Instro

Can I get an Amen?

Could well be western companies handling these ports. I really doubt they are being done internally anyway.

So when comparing games from xbox1 vs ps4, you don't see allot noticeable differents.

I think 3rd party dev's would not take their time to create games for 4 consoles to use the benefits for it.

For example:

Maybe the framerate for some games could be better on ps4, but we know dev's would not again do something extra for ps4k.

If PS4K leak specs real you are going to see a noticeable difference .
It has the power just to brute force stuff comapre to PS4 or NX (if NX around 2.1\2.2TFLOPS)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nes snes n64, did

NES, SNES, and N64 did what?

Edit: If you're implying they were the most powerful, nope.

The Master System was the most powerful console of the third generation.

The Neo Geo was the most powerful console of the fourth generation.

The Nintendo 64 was about the only one you could argue was the most powerful of the bunch in the fifth generation, but it was bottlenecked in so many ways it's only really the most powerful on paper.

Eradicate

I have a similar feeling about Nintendo bridging mobile and dedicated gaming platforms.

I think it comes from a few places.

1) Nintendo is all about being creative with old/cheap tech.

2) From the get go, people wished everyone had their own 2nd screen on the Wii U. 1v1 local multiplayer Madden or ZElda 4 Swords etc.

3) I bought Jackbox for the PS4 a few months ago which is a multiplayer party game whose only controller option is smartphones and it works quite well. My mind went right to Nintendo and what if the much better financed Nintendo could utilize this concept and make it work for their games.

I never heard of Jackbox! That sounds really interesting. Party games especially might be fun having different screens and all. Plus, it being a screen, you could change the buttons and things on the fly and do lots of different things! It definitely seems up Nintendo's alley since they've been doing such things (like with the GBA) for so long. Just making it more accessible would be great! The idea you can just go to someone's house and play the game with your phone/tablet so quickly is pretty neat.

Yeah I like the idea of something that's just a big controller with an SoC that wirelessly streams, something like the Sheild Portable but where the screen is optional. You could buy it bundled with a custom screen/nintendo mini tablet, or with a phone/tablet cradle for your own device, or just with a TV dongle to stream to. And having the smart device/dongle handle certain things might be possible, not sure what, layering a HUD at native resolution on top might make sense, maybe. That's my zany idea, a tablet would probably received better and cause less confusion :D

Ooooh, yes, the Nintendo mini tablet! I think the Shield comparison is a great one, and I could see them going that route as well! A HUD is definitely there, plus maybe controller layouts (maybe even changing them on the fly for custom setups with touchscreen buttons?), allowing a camera to face you for head/eye tracking, video chat with multiplayer, simply allowing a lot of swipeable/touchable space, etc.

Peterc

If PS4K leak specs real you are going to see a noticeable difference .
It has the power just to brute force stuff comapre to PS4 or NX (if NX around 2.1\2.2TFLOPS)

Yes, but why would a party 3rd party dev want to use it?
It will cost them allot more time to develop it for ps4 and ps4k (while making the ps4k looks always better as ps4).

It looks like a extra cost for 3rd party devs, think they going to keep it easy and just port it to ps4k with a bit higher res and framerate.

I believe Sony just want to bring it specially for their VR, could be wrong.

thelastword

Banned

For example:

It depends on what you mean by "can't see the difference" because it's pretty tangible in many cases. The PS4 most times has a resolution and framerate advantage, sometimes a framerate advantage of 15-20fps. There have also been cases of better effects, shadows, AA etc and also none or minimal tearing, I believe that's pretty tangible in terms of differences you make out.

In the case of the NX, it's rumoured specs ramblings suggests that games will be rendered at 1080p, but if it's more powerful than PS4 we can hope to see that difference in framerate and effects, I think that would be pretty tangible too, especially if the NX vs PS4 difference is 60fps vs 30fps games.

AntMurda

Could well be western companies handling these ports. I really doubt they are being done internally anyway.

They would definitely be done internally. The only reason to outsource them would be if they need updated art assets - which I don't think Splatoon needs. Mario Maker definitely isn't.

Peterc

It depends on what you mean by "can't see the difference" because it's pretty tangible in many cases. The PS4 most times has a resolution and framerate advantage, sometimes a framerate advantage of 15-20fps. There have also been cases of better effects, shadows, AA etc and also none or minimal tearing, I believe that's pretty tangible in terms of differences you make out.

In the case of the NX, it's rumoured specs ramblings suggests that games will be rendered at 1080p, but if it's more powerful than PS4 we can hope to see that difference in framerate and effects, I think that would be pretty tangible too, especially if the NX vs PS4 difference is 60fps vs 30fps games.

I want to agree with you, it could be the case for some games. But I don't see that in the video? Maybe there is another compare video that shows that what you're saying.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think this would be a mistake tbh. As for Pikmin 4 I think that could slide in as an early December game.

there is a possibly that Smash Port wouldn't be Launch Title but it would release within 6 months after NX's launch date. it's pretty hard to foresee what's going to happens with Smash Port. There are many potential conclusion coming out of this. I just hope that the conclusion we are getting is going to make the fans happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom