• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntMurda

Why? Nintendo makes use of all sorts of outsource studios.

But they have current active teams. These aren't generation old remasters where the teams long moved on. Plus all the network and controller design complexities really would require the original designers. Hell both might be influencing the controller design.

Remember how the Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat Wii ports were all done by the same teams. This is the exact same scenario.

Most powerfull in that generation. GC not, but almost the same as xbox(first)
No, they didn't. Read Nola-Gaffer's post again, and some others. Hell you could Google or Wiki this to know what's what.

Don't see it how it a plus for Japanese devs .
Most of them don't even use PS4 full power .
The ones that do now making PC version that more powerful than consoles any way .

Maybe it's a mental thing with them. The hardware would be capable but not so ridiculously capable where they don't feel guilty for leaving so much potential untapped. And you're right that most devs (not just Japanese but I'd argue many Western ones too) are not maxing out PS4's power currently. There's still a lot of things regarding GPGPU compute that's probably not fully optimized by them yet, and the PS4's best-looking known games so far either just recently came out (Ratchet + Clank), or are around the corner (Dreams, Detroit, UC4, Horizon, Gran Turismo Sport).

Instro

But they have current active teams. These aren't generation old remasters where the teams long moved on. Plus all the network and controller design complexities really would require the original designers. Hell both might be influencing the controller design.

Remember how the Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat Wii ports were all done by the same teams. This is the exact same scenario.
Fair points.

They would definitely be done internally. The only reason to outsource them would be if they need updated art assets - which I don't think Splatoon needs. Mario Maker definitely isn't.
Doesn't Nintendo usually outsource their ports? ...especially when a new console is coming out and they need their teams focused on the future, not rehashing previous work?

Oddduck

This has probably been mentioned before, but is it possible that Monster Games might be working on a port?

They just worked on DKC3D and Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

So, repeat of the GamePad?

Yikes! :p

No way. I think the gamepad has kept Nintendo from doing a substantial drop on wii U hardware. NX needs to be designed in a way to allow for price drops, its crazy that the ps4 and xb1 arent much higher in price than the wii U at this point.

tr1p1ex

Putting things into perspective, there aren't any leaks or credible rumors about the system specs or features. We don't even have any information about the controller.

Now with that said, we all of a sudden have "sources" that know Nintendo of Japan is porting over Splatoon and Super Mario Maker? Not only that, but they are facing development challenges in doing so?

How incredibly illogical does this sound to people? The most public information would be the system specs and controller because that stuff actually circulates throughout the world. Yet, everyone's inside sources has the usual first wave of information secluded from them in favor of knowing the activities of the most secret developer on the planet? It doesn't make sense guys. Seriously think about it.

It sounds to me this is all fanboy conjecture and speculation. Everyone is piggybacking off of the Smash and Zelda rumblings - saying "oh we heard the same thing too" - and adding Mario maker and Splatoon which are intelligent estimations but I don't think anyone leaking knows jack.

Can I get an Amen?

lol no kidding. Amen.

This has probably been mentioned before, but is it possible that Monster Games might be working on a port?

During Wii U speculation period there was a thread that contained all of the information on what each of Nintendo's developers were working on. Do we have anything similar to that now?

I realize we won't know exactly what each is working on, but listing their last project with some details on what they may be working on is always interesting. Would love to see that now.

maxcriden

I don't think we can expect that. We never got the same controller twice for each gen.
If we still get a screen on a controller, it will be allot smaller as the gamepad.

I pretty much agree. Probably smaller and maybe with freeform screen tech.

I don't know that we're aware of any current project for them. I think another port is a pretty good possibility. Could be a HH port given the spacing of their release schedule. Perhaps DKTF for HH NX.

During Wii U speculation period there was a thread that contained all of the information on what each of Nintendo's developers were working on. Do we have anything similar to that now?

I realize we won't know exactly what each is working on, but listing their last project with some details on what they may be working on is always interesting. Would love to see that now.

That same thread has been updated here and there. I don't have a link handy, sorry, on mobile so searching is difficult. 😅

tr1p1ex

No way. I think the gamepad has kept Nintendo from doing a substantial drop on wii U hardware. NX needs to be designed in a way to allow for price drops, its crazy that the ps4 and xb1 arent much higher in price than the wii U at this point.

Yep I agree.

Nintendo's Kinect.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yep I agree.

Nintendo's Kinect.

I do not understand what happened in terms of supply chain management to make it so. Are suppliers unwilling to give them sweet deals on very large shipments as they do to competitors? What can explain the GamePad high price tag today?

I do not understand what happened in terms of supply chain management to make it so. Are suppliers unwilling to give them sweet deals on very large shipments as they do to competitors? What can explain the GamePad high price tag today?

The tech behind it. You didn't find any other device, in 2012, which had the streaming tech like the Wii U had. Nearly without any lag you streamed a full game on your Gamepad or a movie. Some games even doubled the image so any lag had been seen much quicker if you would have compared gamepad and tv. So they put all their effort in the streaming tech but in the end it wasn't mindblowing enough to gather any attention.

maxcriden

Putting things into perspective, there aren't any leaks or credible rumors about the system specs or features. We don't even have any information about the controller.

Now with that said, we all of a sudden have "sources" that know Nintendo of Japan is porting over Splatoon and Super Mario Maker? Not only that, but they are facing development challenges in doing so?

How incredibly illogical does this sound to people? The most public information would be the system specs and controller because that stuff actually circulates throughout the world. Yet, everyone's inside sources has the usual first wave of information secluded from them in favor of knowing the activities of the most secret developer on the planet? It doesn't make sense guys. Seriously think about it.

It sounds to me this is all fanboy conjecture and speculation. Everyone is piggybacking off of the Smash and Zelda rumblings - saying "oh we heard the same thing too" - and adding Mario maker and Splatoon which are intelligent estimations but I don't think anyone leaking knows jack.

Can I get an Amen?

lol no kidding. Amen.

I think I missed the mod comments, what has been said? Was 10k ever officially verified?

I'm skeptical as to whether the GamePad will have a direct successor or not in terms of the next controller having a screen or not. However, I see your points for sure. Heck, I think it's actually more extreme than you said. I think XB1 and PS4 were as cheap or cheaper than Wii U this last holiday.

Pokemaniac

It's probably the custom Wi-Fi chip. The thing is actually somewhat non-standard.

Ogodei

I think they still need a controller with a screen, but it'll resemble something like the patent in size and be pretty cheapo and not meant for streaming more than a simple UI or minimap (again, to make Splatoon work).

They can't let the controller drag down the whole device from a funding standpoint again.

MK_768

Not really. Nintendo doesn't have drop the price. They know the system is dead. A price drop wouldn't get that many systems out. Maximize your profits.

FyreWulff

Don't think the GamePad has anything to do with it, inflation and price stability has kept the actual useful models of the 360 and the PS3 at 300$ as well

And the fire sales of the Wii U that failed to move units proved the price of the Wii U wasn't the issue

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ps4 gpu is 40% more powerful, and it also has the much faster ram advantage, it's a pretty big difference.

I guess I don't get this. Rumors are no third party has or even knows about a devkit for PS4K and that a devkit only exists at Sony, yet we know the power already? How does that make sense?

I guess I don't get this. Rumors are no third party has or even knows about a devkit and a that a devkit only exists at Sony, yet we know the power already? How does that make sense?
Sony is developing for the NX? This is breaking news! Lol

Just messing of course:p

I think they still need a controller with a screen, but it'll resemble something like the patent in size and be pretty cheapo and not meant for streaming more than a simple UI or minimap (again, to make Splatoon work).

They can't let the controller drag down the whole device from a funding standpoint again.

One of the other rumors for the controller basically described the entire surface as being a screen but with shaped/embedded clear physical buttons on it, that way the vision isn't obfuscated in any way. Not sure about the analog stick(s), but perhaps theoretically it wouldn't be so hard to do the same, or maybe they would be replaced by something closer to a trackball surface with haptic sense and feedback, able to measure not only degree of movement but velocity, speed, tilt etc.

Basically something like a natural fusion of Sharp's free-form screen display but not sacrificing physical buttons or visible screen estate. So all the other ideas (like context-sensitive button prompt displays in/near the buttons) would still be possible.

At least, that's my ideal evolution of the Wii U pad; cuts down on size bulk, streamlines the ergonomics in the design, expands display interactivity and functionality, and integrates current standardized controller features. Win win win win.

geordiemp

Do you think that Sony, MS and Nintendo apply the same mark up to a costed console ?

I do not know, other than Nintendo themselves keep mentioning Nintendo like profits ? What does this mean, other than they believe they can command a higher mark up and still get the volume ? Or does it refer to software ?

Cant wait to see the 3 designs taken apart to see what choices are made....

Banned
It depends on what you mean by "can't see the difference" because it's pretty tangible in many cases. The PS4 most times has a resolution and framerate advantage, sometimes a framerate advantage of 15-20fps. There have also been cases of better effects, shadows, AA etc and also none or minimal tearing, I believe that's pretty tangible in terms of differences you make out.

In the case of the NX, it's rumoured specs ramblings suggests that games will be rendered at 1080p, but if it's more powerful than PS4 we can hope to see that difference in framerate and effects, I think that would be pretty tangible too, especially if the NX vs PS4 difference is 60fps vs 30fps games.
That's essentially what I meant. The PS4 vs Xbox vs NX ports will likely be very similar.

For example:

Watch Dogs 2

XB1: 900p30 with dips into mid 20's
PS4: 1080p30 with dips to mid 20's, has more AF, more particles, better shadow resolution and longer draw distance, Better AA.
NX: 1080p30 with no dips, more particles than PS4, same AF, same AA method and draw distance, same texture resolutions and shadow resolutions as PS4.

You'll likely need digital foundry analysis of third party ports to tell major differences between NX and PS4 ports. Kind of like how sometimes you still need it for XB1 and PS4 ports.

All this spec talk and power comparisons won't mean nearly as much once we know what will set the NX console and handheld apart from other traditional consoles.

Since Nintendo is launching mid-gen they'll need more than just power comparability for porting to stay relevant for more than three years.

Pinky

Banned
All I can think about is how absolutely gorgeous a 3D Mario would look on hardware more capable than PS4. At this point, SMG3 is my dream title from Nintendo.

The_Lump

Banned
That's essentially what I meant. The PS4 vs Xbox vs NX ports will likely be very similar.

For example:

Watch Dogs 2

PS4: 1080p30 with dips to mid 20's, has more AF, more particles, better shadow resolution and longer draw distance, Better AA.
NX: 1080p30 with no dips, more particles than PS4, same AF, same AA method and draw distance, same texture resolutions and shadow resolutions as PS4.

You'll likely need digital foundry analysis of third party ports to tell major differences between NX and PS4 ports. Kind of like how sometimes you still need it for XB1 and PS4 ports.

You realise this will be taken as gospel now, right?

Banned
All this spec talk and power comparisons won't mean nearly as much once we know what will set the NX console and handheld apart from other traditional consoles.

Since Nintendo is launching mid-gen they'll need more than just power comparability for porting to stay relevant for more than three years.
The common theory is a shared library between all their NX devices and more frequent hardware iterations. Kinds of like apples model with iPhone and iPad.

You realise this will be taken as gospel now, right?
You know what? I don't care anymore. I posted some info I heard and some people shat on me for it or accused me of writing fan fiction. I tried to do people a favour by sharing some interesting info and entice discussion.

If people are going to take every post I say as a rumor or leak or fact about Nintendo, that's their problem. They were warned I was just delivering second hand info, they were rumors and I'm not an insider.

My source said noticeably better, but that's vague and no specs were given so I'm speculating like you guys. Just forget it was even me posting that info.

Not really. Nintendo doesn't have drop the price. They know the system is dead. A price drop wouldn't get that many systems out. Maximize your profits.

The wii U being within a hundred dollars of the ps4/xb1 at launch was hilarious enough. Now they're in the same ballpark because you can commonly find deals on the latter systems for $300. I wasn't referring to dropping the price at this point, obviously the system is on its way out. I'm referring to doing it at a point when it *may* have made a difference somewhere between 2013 and 2014.

Don't think the GamePad has anything to do with it, inflation and price stability has kept the actual useful models of the 360 and the PS3 at 300$ as well

And the fire sales of the Wii U that failed to move units proved the price of the Wii U wasn't the issue

I think those systems stayed relatively expensive because last gen was very costly for both Sony and MS. It was advantageous to keep the prices at a certain point and increase their value propositions ( usually by increasing the HDD size and releasing more streamlined, power-efficient models). But in 2016, why would anyone buy a $249 Ps3 with its bigger brother easily available for less than $100 more? I think the PS3, at least, is still fairly expensive to produce because of the cell, so I've heard anyway. So there's never going to be a point where we see a '$99 Ps3' ( or whatever the equal would be to that in 2016 given inflation) like we saw with Ps2. I imagine the xbox 360 is still relatively expensive because with the ps3 still at $250, there's no need to drop the price. It's priced competitively as is with its generational competitor.

What fire sales are you referring to?

Edit: Out of interest, I went on amazon to see what 360's are going for:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017KIHMQE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't know if that's standard MSRP now( and can't be bothered to look it up). I didn't see any ps3's sold directly through amazon, but the cheapest price was $259.99 for a 250gb model. Here's an article on the topic referencing the difficulty in getting the cost down:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/sony-plans-playstation-3-price-cut/

Granted, the article is about 3 years old but I imagine the dynamics barring a massive cut are still in effect given its current price?

I know we used to ask "what will be the difference between Zelda U and Zelda NX?"

We thought maybe the graphics would be similar like TP was from GameCube to Wii, but since the NX is more powerful than the PS4 it's going to be a pretty nice difference! No wonder Nintendo is waiting until the reveal of the NX to show Zelda U/NX, because all they will do is show Zelda NX and talk about how great it looks.

Hoo-doo

Banned

For example:

Watch Dogs 2

You love fuelling the fire with nonsense comparisons, don't you?

All I can think about is how absolutely gorgeous a 3D Mario would look on hardware more capable than PS4. At this point, SMG3 is my dream title from Nintendo.
Wii U would have been more than capable of a SMG3, too. Look at the juice Nintendo extracted from Wii to use on Galaxy 1 & 2. Look at 3D World. Though it isn't my fave 3D Mario, it is very pretty.

orioto

Good Art™
I know we used to ask "what will be the difference between Zelda U and Zelda NX?"

We thought maybe the graphics would be similar like TP was from GameCube to Wii, but since the NX is more powerful than the PS4 it's going to be a pretty nice difference! No wonder Nintendo is waiting until the reveal of the NX to show Zelda U/NX, because all they will do is show Zelda NX and talk about how great it looks.

But i really wonder about that. If the NX is that powerful.. Did they go full NX with the dev, draw distances, models, light, shaders... But then the WiiU version will be horrible to play.. Or did they keep WiiU as main platform and will just up the rez/fps on NX..

It's coming out 3 years later, I would hope that it would be more powerful than the PS4. Lol Then again, I'm not seeing Nintendo putting out anything rivaling UC4 or Gears of War 4 for a while though. Interesting to see how this affects Sony and MS.

It won't. Just like the Wii U didn't effect 360 or PS3 despite having "better" hardware.

antonz

Was does officially verified mean?

He brought the information to specific mods who vetted that the people who supplied said information are likely to know what they are talking about within the industry. It does not guarantee 100% accuracy but it offers some legitimcy

10K was verified. Unfortunately another mod who was not apart of the process closed the other thread without knowing he was verified

But i really wonder about that. If the NX is that powerful.. Did they go full NX with the dev, draw distances, models, light, shaders... But then the WiiU version will be horrible to play.. Or did they keep WiiU as main platform and will just up the rez/fps on NX..

I bet money it was downported... people hate when I say that though

I don't think they'll do that to Wii U owners (making it horrible to play). They'll probably up the res and fps.

I know this has nothing to do with specs but I'm crossing my fingers that we get blu-ray sized red cases to stand out from Xbox's green and PS4's blue.

I made this mock up because of Nintendo's recent embrace of the red. It makes me positive we're gonna see something like this.

hUQNKx2.jpg

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I guess I don't get this. Rumors are no third party has or even knows about a devkit for PS4K and that a devkit only exists at Sony, yet we know the power already? How does that make sense?

3rd party devs who have devkits wouldn't be talking about having devkits anyway.

Pinky

Banned
You know what? I don't care anymore. I posted some info I heard and some people shat on me for it or accused me of writing fan fiction. I tried to do people a favour by sharing some interesting info and entice discussion.

If people are going to take every post I say as a rumor or leak or fact about Nintendo, that's their problem. They were warned I was just delivering second hand info, they were rumors and I'm not an insider.

My source said noticeably better, but that's vague and no specs were given so I'm speculating like you guys. Just forget it was even me posting that info.

Ignore the skeptics, 10k. I've been following this since the previous thread that got locked. You took the appropriate steps to get permission from the mods and you made it very clear that you weren't an insider, but simply a messenger. Unfortunately, some are ignoring these facts or have failed to keep up with what has happened. Again, much appreciation for the info you've given us. All you did was pass it on.

Wii U would have been more than capable of a SMG3, too. Look at the juice Nintendo extracted from Wii to use on Galaxy 1 & 2. Look at 3D World. Though it isn't my fave 3D Mario, it is very pretty.

I totally agree and that's what makes me so giddy for a new Mario on hardware that exceeds PS4(if true, of course). I was more than impressed with SMG1&2 and SM3DW, so I can't even begin to imagine what a new 3D entry would look like on NX.

I know this has nothing to do with specs but I'm crossing my fingers that we get blu-ray sized red cases to stand out from Xbox's green and PS4's blue.

I made this mock up because of Nintendo's recent embrace of the red. It makes me positive we're gonna see something like this.

hUQNKx2.jpg

Wow! I love the Nintendo box art! Good job! Simple and straight to the point. NINTENDO, bitches!

Banned
He brought the information to specific mods who vetted that the people who supplied said information are likely to know what they are talking about within the industry. It does not guarantee 100% accuracy but it offers some legitimcy

10K was verified. Unfortunately another mod who was not apart of the process closed the other thread without knowing he was verified
Thank you for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom