• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol every time Nintendo has a console coming out there are these rumours like this that make it sound like Nintendo is going to just release a console that competes with Sony/Microsoft and every time it isn't true.

Nanashrew

Banned
lol every time Nintendo has a console coming out there are these rumours like this that make it sound like Nintendo is going to just release a console that competes with Sony/Microsoft and every time it isn't true.

LCGeek leaked Nintendo's CPUs in the past with great accuracy and came out right every time. CPU being better than the PS4 and XBO is pretty much truth at this point.

The rest, we just don't know everything. But with parts being cheaper now It could very well be, and it will have to be because there's no room below an XBO. It's either upgrade or don't and I have a feeling they're not sticking with low end tech and they're moving away from the Wii brand with how toxic it has become.

I wonder if the pad will be more traditional i.e. lack a second screen, but for remasters exisiting GamePads will work with the console, similar to how you can connect the wii sensor bar and use wiimotes on the Wii U. If there were an updated GamePad (lighter, better battery, maybe capacitive?), it'd be an easy way to rack up peripheral sales, as anyone trading in their Wii U would be without one, and cut out the cost tied to the console package.

It might make more sense than bumping the price with a second screen, which many already seem wary of given the Wii U's track record.

Remember that Nintendo tried to reboot Chibi-Robo as a platformer so it could reach more people. And they said if it failed, that'd be the last of Chibi-Robo. Well, think about it this way. If Fed Force does well, they're not going to make more Metroid games. They're going to make more Fed Force games. And if it doesn't do well, well...they're already not doing anything with it. Fed Force is just trying to animate a corpse at this point.

You are too emotional to see this clearly. FF has no bearing on the future of the franchise. Nintendo knows the game will bomb because it's not what most fans want. This hate has just driven up the demand for a so-called real Metroid so I expect one sooner rather than later.

Regiruler

Dont know if this has already been posted, but someone on reddit compiled the rumored games in an image.

X0h7BJq.jpg

So 5 games in series I have no interest in, 3 games I have already played, 1 game I will be already able to play, and a 4th game in the series that I haven't started yet.

Can't say I'm particularly excited.

GamerJM

Banned
So twice?

It happened for the Wii as well. I remember some crazy bullshit about how Red Steel looked like a 360 game in motion back in the day.

That being said the NX rumors are believable because of the timing of the generation. It doesn't sound like the rumors are that it's really powerful.

Nanashrew

Banned
Again, the focus on the ports like that image or the 4 in the OP are so incredibly dumb and will not be representative of their launch or launch window. The complaints are getting so tiring and dumber. It's page 57 and it's still the same old or worse.

Fou-Lu

If the PS4 and NX versions of some of these games are out at the same time then I will likely get the NX version to be honest (Dragon Quest XI and FF7Remake mainly). Since it will be my main console going forward unless circumstances unforseen happen. The only games out of the games rumoured I wouldn't buy for NX are Super Mario Maker (fine with the Wii U version) and FFXV (will have for PS4). So for me at least it's an exciting lineup!

udivision

The NX is not going to be able to compete with the consoles from its gen (the PS5 and XBOX 2). There's no way that'll happen.

It'll be around the same level as the PS4/One, like the Wii U was around the same level as the PS360.

Nintendo is repeating the same "mistake" it seems, but it doesn't look like it'll hurt them as badly this time.

EDIT: Trev said FFXV NX is a thing?

Meesh

Again, the focus on the ports like that image or the 4 in the OP are so incredibly dumb and will not be representative of their launch or launch window. The complaints are getting so tiring and dumber. It's page 57 and it's still the same old or worse.
I know, it's been one of the harder NX threads to get through. I'm here for the speculation myself because I don't know enough about the tech side so I lurk a bit...

So 5 games in series I have no interest in, 3 games I have already played, 1 game I will be already able to play, and a 4th game in the series that I haven't started yet.

Can't say I'm particularly excited.

What do you even like? You sound VERY hard to please.

Honestly looks solid. Duno why the machine wouldn't be BC tho.

Sheroking

This isn't the first time this sentiment has come up, but you misremember the days before E3 2012 and E3 2006.

Nintendo had openly commented about not caring about hardware power for Wii. When fake specs were out on the internet, Matt Cassamassina dismissed them and suggested the machine was less powerful than a half measure. Early in the WUST, there was lots of speculation and hope - but very little real reason to think it was significantly more powerful than the Xbox 360/PS3.

I'm not saying any of these leaks are legitimate, but this situation is not 1:1 with Wii U, and it's especially not 1:1 with Wii.

Nanashrew

Banned
I know, it's been one of the harder NX threads to get through. I'm here for the speculation myself because I don't know enough about the tech side so I lurk a bit...

Tech side is what really interests me the most too. Thraktor always blows me away with his amazing posts, especially last thread where he pinpointed the two best CPU candidates that are cheap and what Nintendo are looking for and match with LCGeek's talk about it being better than the Jaguars in the PS4 and XBO.

bachikarn

This isn't the first time this sentiment has come up, but you misremember the days before E3 2012 and E3 2006.

Nintendo had openly commented about not caring about hardware power for Wii. When fake specs were out on the internet, Matt Cassamassina dismissed them and suggested the machine was less powerful than a half measure. Early in the WUST, there was lots of speculation and hope - but very little real reason to think it was significantly more powerful than the Xbox 360/PS3.

I'm not saying any of these leaks are legitimate, but this situation is not 1:1 with Wii U, and it's especially not 1:1 with Wii.

Yeah, very early on we had Arkham telling us that the Wii U was weak, but no one wanted to believe him because it just sounded so crazy. I don't recall anything similar for the NX, but at the same time, there seems to be a lot more secrecy around it.

I'm definitely interested in the remasters. If anything, it's the news that has given me most confidence that a new platform can build some momentum releasing mid-gen. The key, though, will be the price and quality of them. I still think there's an issue about pricing on Nintendo platforms which needs to be addressed.

The NX is not going to be able to compete with the consoles from its gen (the PS5 and XBOX 2). There's no way that'll happen.

It'll be around the same level as the PS4/One, like the Wii U was around the same level as the PS360.

Nintendo is repeating the same "mistake" it seems, but it doesn't look like it'll hurt them as badly this time.

EDIT: Trev said FFXV NX is a thing?
As mentioned previously, if Nintendo is going for a more iOS like approach like Iwata mentioned, they could just release a NX.5 or whatever.
Especially if devs move from PS4/X1 to newer versions. I think if the PS4k works they'll just stick with that for several years
What do you even like? You sound VERY hard to please.

Honestly looks solid. Duno why the machine wouldn't be BC tho.
Same reason the PS4 and X1 aren't natively. Architecture is likely very different and adding in BC would be very costly or hold back the system

MK_768

Remember that Nintendo tried to reboot Chibi-Robo as a platformer so it could reach more people. And they said if it failed, that'd be the last of Chibi-Robo. Well, think about it this way. If Fed Force does well, they're not going to make more Metroid games. They're going to make more Fed Force games. And if it doesn't do well, well...they're already not doing anything with it. Fed Force is just trying to animate a corpse at this point.

Wait. Did you compare Metroid to Chibi-Robo?

I hope SE or Nintendo reveals FFXV (assuming the rumor is real) before the launch of the game on PS4/Xbone, I might wait for the NX to come out to play it.

Sheroking

It's unlikely that NX will co-exist for any real amount of time with any true successor hardware. Sony is not going to release PS4K in 2017 only to release PS5 in ~2018. It's honestly possible Nintendo has a near 5 year window of competition with PS4, Xbox One and their revisions.

-Horizon-

Yeah, very early on we had Arkham telling us that the Wii U was weak, but no one wanted to believe him because it just sounded so crazy. I don't recall anything similar for the NX, but at the same time, there seems to be a lot more secrecy around it.
The only thing I remember hearing for the NX early on is that it's at most Xbox one strength or less. And even then I can't remember where I heard that.

ReyVGM

Heck, the numbered FF sequels are the only things Square hasn't published that's FF related on a Nintendo system in quite awhile. They've gotten just about everything else from Square though. Square's western studio output is another story though.

Flood Nintendo's twitter account with the tagline: "Bring Final Fantasy back home to Nintendo consoles".

Sheroking

The only thing I remember hearing for the NX early on is that it's at most Xbox one strength or less. And even then I can't remember where I heard that.

That was from an obviously, unbelievably fake leaked "fact sheet" in January IIRC.

Everybody who is saying anything kind of has a similar story, and no cold water has been thrown on any of it. That's not to say it's right, but... it's far from unbelievable or indicative of a recurring delusion or something.

Nanashrew

Banned
Flood Nintendo's twitter account with the tagline: "Bring Final Fantasy back home to Nintendo consoles".

lol

Nah, I'm good. It would be cool to see their numbered sequels return. It would be so strange to see the FF7 remake appear on a Nintendo system too after all that happened long ago.

-Horizon-

That was from an obviously, unbelievably fake leaked "fact sheet" in January IIRC.

Everybody who is saying anything kind of has a similar story, and no cold water has been thrown on any of it. That's not to say it's right, but... it's far from unbelievable or indicative of a recurring delusion or something.
That may have been it. It's getting hard keeping track of all this lol

Not

Banned
10k's post became a 57-page thread since yesterday? Oh man that's even better than I was expecting from his initial attempt to dampen the hype:

10k said:
Ok guys, although the sources are legit ones, let's not jump the gun and get hyped lol. It's nothing mind blowing.

NateDrake

10k's post became a 57-page thread since yesterday? Oh man that's even better than I was expecting from his initial attempt to dampen the hype:

The information could have been "Nintendo NX to play games & use discs" and we would have gotten a 40 page thread.

Dont know if this has already been posted, but someone on reddit compiled the rumored games in an image.

X0h7BJq.jpg

FFVII R and FFXV are probably bullshit.
Miyamoto never said Pikmin 4 was coming to the NX.
Beyond Good and Evil 2 is also probably bullshit.
DQ X/XI are possible.
And I thoroughly believe Zelda, Smash, Splatoon and Mario Maker are all happening.

Sheroking

FFVII R and FFXV are probably bullshit.
Miyamoto never said Pikmin 4 was coming to the NX.
Beyond Good and Evil 2 is also probably bullshit.
DQ X/XI are possible.
And I thoroughly believe Zelda, Smash, Splatoon and Mario Maker are all happening.

Well, DQ XI was already officially announced. It remains the only game to be announced by a publisher for NX.

Pikmin 4 is a safe bet as well. That game is "almost done", yet has failed to show up in any direct. It only makes sense for it to get the push

Nanashrew

Banned
That may have been it. It's getting hard keeping track of all this lol

Basically take any reddit rumor as baseless. So far what rumors we have from LCGeek, Indie Gamer Chick, Emily Rogers, NateDrake, Rosti (under NDA, I think), Trev (destroyed by ninjas and all his stuff taken down) and 10k are all saying the same things or in relation to them.

Neoxon

If a miracle happens & we do end up with a few more characters in Smash 4's NX Platform port, who would you realistically expect them to be? My guesses, in the (probably unlikely) scenario that we get more, would be...
  • Ice Climbers: I'd actually argue that we would be likely to get them either way if they were as far along in the Wii U version as Sakurai implied.
  • The Mystery Rhythm Heaven Rep (likely the Chorus Kids): We know thanks to data-mining that a Rhythm Heaven rep was planned & was worked on to some capacity. And Sal Romano's leak from super-early in Smash 4's planning stages does seem to indicate that said rep was the Chorus Kids. Depending on how far along the RH rep was in development, this would be a great time to put the finishing touches on the rep & release them (though I'd bet that the rep would take more time than, say, the Ice Climbers to finish).
  • Inkling: One of the glaring omissions from the initial wave of DLC, especially given the success of Splatoon & the fan demand behind the Inklings. The Inklings are more of a when than an if. And if (again) a miracle happens & we get more, this would be the time to add the Inklings (especially if Smash 5 is around 5 or so years out).
  • Wolf: Another glaring omission from the initial wave of DLC, more so since we got both Roy & Lucas during the Wii U/3DS run of DLC. Given that he's a Brawl veteran, his transition from a development standpoint should be around on-par with Lucas (though they may want to touch up Wolf's animations in Smash 4 if he got in, since they were a bit jerky in Brawl).
As for realistic stuff pertaining to the Smash 4 port, I do believe that if we don't get an announcement for at least Cloud's Amiibo in the near future, it's safe to assume that the Final 3 DLC Characters will have their Amiibos released alongside Smash 4's NX Platform port.

Neoxon

Guys I don't know if I can take new NX rumor leaks every few days until E3. I may go insane!
As I've stated before, Nintendo may reveal the NX device(s) ahead of time to avoid potentially getting overshadowed by Sony & Microsoft, leaving E3 to be mainly about the games. It's honestly a little too risky for Nintendo to put all of their eggs in the E3 basket.

MK_768

If a miracle happens & we do end up with a few more characters in Smash 4's NX Platform port, who would you realistically expect them to be? My guesses, in the (probably unlikely) scenario that we get more, would be...
  • Ice Climbers: I'd actually argue that we would be likely to get them either way if they were as far along in the Wii U version as Sakurai implied.
  • The Mystery Rhythm Heaven Rep (likely the Chorus Kids): We know thanks to data-mining that a Rhythm Heaven rep was planned & was worked on to some capacity. And Sal Romano's leak from super-early in Smash 4's planning stages does seem to indicate that said rep was the Chorus Kids. Depending on how far along the RH rep was in development, this would be a great time to put the finishing touches on the rep & release them (though I'd bet that the rep would take more time than, say, the Ice Climbers to finish).
  • Inkling: One of the glaring omissions from the initial wave of DLC, especially given the success of Splatoon & the fan demand behind the Inklings. The Inklings are more of a when than an if. And if (again) a miracle happens & we get more, this would be the time to add the Inklings (especially if Smash 5 is around 5 or so years out).
  • Wolf: Another glaring omission from the initial wave of DLC, more so since we got both Roy & Lucas during the Wii U/3DS run of DLC. Given that he's a Brawl veteran, his transition from a development standpoint should be around on-par with Lucas (though they may want to touch up Wolf's animations in Smash 4 if he got in, since they were a bit jerky in Brawl).
As for realistic stuff pertaining to the Smash 4 port, I do believe that if we don't get an announcement for at least Cloud's Amiibo in the near future, it's safe to assume that the Final 3 DLC Characters will have their Amiibos released alongside Smash 4's NX Platform port.

I gotta think Ice Climbers would be in it. Didn't Sakurai say he made Ice Climbers for the Wii U version?

As I've stated before, Nintendo may reveal the NX device(s) ahead of time to avoid potentially getting overshadowed by Sony & Microsoft, leaving E3 to be mainly about the games.

Well I've been on "team E3 2016" for NX reveal since the conclusion of last year's E3 so I'm double downing and sticking with Nintendo not showing anything significant until E3. I wouldn't mind being wrong, because like I said I don't know if I can handle 2 more months of rumors haha.

xHiryu

Hmm full priced ports of old third party games people have already played on other systems and remasters of old games. Sounds like the Wii U.

What else would they have at launch? Theres no way there gonna drop a lineup full of first party titles, if anything the fact that this machine is easy to develop and port for makes me optimistic. Hopefully we see third party games being released on PC, PS4(K), XB1 and also the NX simultaneously.

Just ditch the fucking Wii name. The Wii was weird and the Wii U was even weirder, hell the Nintendo Revolution was a better name for the Wii. Basically just return to the Nintendo Entertainment System or the Super Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom