• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

Do you really think any brand new, original NX games would be announced or known about at all yet? The ports we are hearing about are purely speculation and rumor. Trust me, there will be new games.

Hell, we don't even know that much about what's coming in fall 2016 for ANYTHING. For what do we have sure dates beyond August? FFXV and Gears 4? What else do we know about? COD, 2k17 (how likely is Take-Two to support Nintendo at all?), the 2016 Battlefield game, Mafia III, Persona 5? I'm just talking console stuff that could possibly get NX versions.

I just think April is way too early to be criticizing NX's potential launch lineup. Save that for E3 at the earliest.

Blues1990

Do you really think any brand new, original NX games would be announced or known about at all yet? The ports we are hearing about are purely speculation and rumor. Trust me, there will be new games.

Hell, we don't even know that much about what's coming in fall 2016 for ANYTHING. For what do we have sure dates beyond August? FFXV and Gears 4? What else do we know about? COD, 2k17 (how likely is Take-Two to support Nintendo at all?), the 2016 Battlefield game, Mafia III, Persona 5? I'm just talking console stuff that could possibly get NX versions.

I just think April is way too early to be criticizing NX's potential launch lineup. Save that for E3 at the earliest.

There is also info about the next installment in the Dragon Quest series coming to the NX, which was accidentally slipped by Square-Enix itself. That game alone is worth a purchase for me.

ChaosXVI

I'm talking like, 2D like Fusion or Prime-style.

I'm absolutely convinced that NX will get a big Metroid game, whether it's at launch or not is the question. I really, really hope it's what Retro is working on for NX launch window, but I'm not going to piss and moan if it's not.

I just think the NX could use some first party "WOW" factor going into the console reveal, and a new graphically intense game from Retro would suffice. I remember when I picked up Prime for the first time and was completely blown away since I went into it blind.

Playing through he Prime trilogy at the moment, started Corruption in the last few days.

Fuck me they're good games.

I've been playing through the 2d Metroid games and I'll echo your sentiments...Fuck me they're good.

We really needed a new 2d Metroid and 2d Mega Man game on 3DS. Maybe on NX HH.

I really hope Final Fantasy 7 Remake comes to the NX. I will never buy a Playstation, but I would love to play that game on a Nintendo console.

Prediction time:

I bet ubisoft opens their E3 conference with watch dogs 2 on NX, second screen hacker gimmicks galore.

It would have been a great reveal, had the June issue of game Informer not had WD2 as its cover story, but alas.

ZOONAMI

Prediction time:

I bet ubisoft opens their E3 conference with watch dogs 2 on NX, second screen hacker gimmicks galore.

It would have been a great reveal, had the June issue of game Informer not had WD2 as its cover story, but alas.

Hoping there isn't a second screen on NX, or just that the gamepad is compatible. Bundled screen controller will just drive up the cost or take away from more important hardware.

To me a bundled screen controller will just demonstrate nintendo learned very little from the wii u.

xHiryu

Damn if the NX gets some third party support than they'll fix one of their biggest issues. Imagine on launch you get games like Witcher 3, The Division, GTA 5 and etc. Add those alongside the Smash 4 NX remaster, Zelda and etc.

This E3 is gonna be interesting at the very least seeing as how we have both MS and Sony planning some sort of beefed up current gen console and a new console reveal by Nintendo. Hopefully we get some new surprise announcements when it comes to dead IPs (looking at you Metroid).

Honestly the NX seems like an internet gamer's dream lol

Nanashrew

Banned
Hoping there isn't a second screen on NX, or just that the gamepad is compatible. Bundled screen controller will just drive up the cost or take away from more important hardware.

To me a bundled screen controller will just demonstrate nintendo learned very little from the wii u.

I feel that Nintendo is also to blame for this in that they cornered themselves to have to require some kind of second screen just like we'll always need a Wii remote for many Wii games.

For what it's worth, Nintendo were already doing something similar in Japan in the 80s;

Interesting find. If they thought it practical enough for back then, there's definitely ways it could be even more practical today given technological advances and easier/cheaper access to certain materials.

The only problem in the equation would be how it can effectively cut out retailers and maybe places like Gamestop, tho there would still be physical copies around that could effectively be traded in and resold.

I'd love a sequel too! They could seriously go into far places like space and spherical planets and gravity from Mario Galaxy.
Yeah, that game feels like it could have endless amounts of levels and it's so much fun. I love the look, the style and the presentation of Captain Todd.

Honestly, if Nintendo could clinch a simultaneous release of Square-Enix games, I would see no reason to buy any other console. For me, Square-Enix are console gaming, I go wherever the final fantasy's do. If I could have all of those, with all of the fire emblems, pokemons, zeldas? No question. They better get KH 3 though as well.

-Horizon-

Honestly, if Nintendo could clinch a simultaneous release of Square-Enix games, I would see no reason to buy any other console. For me, Square-Enix are console gaming, I go wherever the final fantasy's do. If I could have all of those, with all of the fire emblems, pokemons, zeldas? No question. They better get KH 3 though as well.

The thing is, FFXV is out september and NX is probably later in the year. So FFVII remake is the only other final fantasy game they may get. And even then, Sony most likely has it as a timed exclusive because of the whole "first on ps4" bit. So KH3. Only other game that may be there at the same time as the other consoles. Maybe.

Snakeyes

Interesting find. If they thought it practical enough for back then, there's definitely ways it could be even more practical today given technological advances and easier/cheaper access to certain materials.

The only problem in the equation would be how it can effectively cut out retailers and maybe places like Gamestop, tho there would still be physical copies around that could effectively be traded in and resold.

Well, here's basically how it worked;

Disk Writers were available in many toy shops, department stores, and even some convenience stores across Japan until their dismantling in 1993. In most cases, the consumer didn’t actually use these “vending machines.” Instead, you would give your disk to the clerk behind the counter who would operate the machine and give you your disk with a new game written onto it.

Disks and games were available several ways in Disk System land. First, you could buy a blank three-inch disk for 2000 yen and have the game of your choice written onto it for an extra 500 yen. You could use the same disk again and again, writing in different games each time. A game-swap cost only 500 yen, compared for the 5000 yen prices for cartridge-based games of the time.

Even after cart technology surpassed the disks, the Disk System remained popular merely for this price factor. Another way was to buy a disk with the game you wanted already written, complete with manual, for anywhere from 2600 to 3500 yen. These were referred to as “brand new” disks. These disks came in clear hard-plastic cases, and were sold with a manual in another, softer plastic case with a sticker sealing the case shut. If the seal was undamaged, then the disk was considered never used.

From http://www.famicomdisksystem.com/

So they could keep retailers as part of the process by putting kiosks in stores.

Damn if the NX gets some third party support than they'll fix one of their biggest issues. Imagine on launch you get games like Witcher 3, The Division, GTA 5 and etc. Add those alongside the Smash 4 NX remaster, Zelda and etc.

Hmm full priced ports of old third party games people have already played on other systems and remasters of old games. Sounds like the Wii U.

Meesh

This E3 is gonna be interesting at the very least seeing as how we have both MS and Sony planning some sort of beefed up current gen console and a new console reveal by Nintendo. Hopefully we get some new surprise announcements when it comes to dead IPs (looking at you Metroid).

Honestly the NX seems like an internet gamer's dream lol
Yeppers, almost too good to be true, there's bound to be a meltdown along the way :/. But I hear yeah, Nintendo golden years returneth?

edit: Actually, what if the logo and red banner was on the bottom? Below the image? The more I imagine it, the more I think that would actually be pretty awesome...

double edit: here's my terrible paint mock-up.
13000304_10156037504163647_5549156701907528067_n.jpg

The reason they're on the top is because some places have magazine style racks that would obscure brand bars on the bottom

Pyrokai

Yeppers, almost too good to be true, there's bound to be a meltdown along the way :/. But I hear yeah, Nintendo golden years returneth?

Would love it to be true, but how can it be true? Nintendo launching mid-cycle is giving me an aneurism! I just can't figure out if they will be behind in 2-3 years when XBO2 and PS5 launch, or if they have some grand scheme to stay relevant and within parity.

ChaosXVI

The thing is, FFXV is out september and NX is probably later in the year. So FFVII remake is the only other final fantasy game they may get. And even then, Sony most likely has it as a timed exclusive because of the whole "first on ps4" bit. So KH3. Only other game that may be there at the same time as the other consoles. Maybe.

It's not unprecedented for a console to release earlier in the Fall than November...but even then, FFXV isn't out until September 30, only about 7 weeks from the Friday before Black Friday, which is the absolute latest they would launch the system. So at most there would be 7 weeks between the game coming out for other platforms, so it's not quite as bad as with Wii U games being ports nearly a year old.

Personally I think Nintendo will launch earlier than typical, maybe in October. But it's not really based on anything other than want.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hmm full priced ports of old third party games people have already played on other systems and remasters of old games. Sounds like the Wii U.

Hey, I'm here to tell you about The Last of Us Remastered and GTAV for Next-Gen, both of which were announced and release A YEAR after their old-gen counterparts.

For full price.

Ahab

Banned

Are you forgetting that the first two years of the PS4/Xbones life were filled with remasters up the ass?

Hey, I'm here to tell you about The Last of Us Remastered and GTAV for Next-Gen, both of which were announced and release A YEAR after their old-gen counterparts.

For full price.

Last of Us Remastered was $50 and included the DLC. GTA V got additional content and wasn't just a graphics update. However my original point was if they charge $60 for Witcher 3 on NX, then it's similar to charging $60 for Batman Arhkam City on Wii U. Unless you're a Nintendo only gamer, there's no reason to buy it and it's not a significant marketing bullet point for many people if they are debating whether or not to buy the system.

Caramello

For full price.

To be fair the Wii U ports weren't much better than the original games. PS4 and XB1 ports are noticeably better.

Meesh

Would love it to be true, but how can it be true? Nintendo launching mid-cycle is giving me an aneurism! I just can't figure out if they will be behind in 2-3 years when XBO2 and PS5 launch, or if they have some grand scheme to stay relevant and within parity.
They're in a precarious position with no clear solutions that's for sure... I'm just gonna pretend PS4.5 and XB1.5 prolong this gen to the point where we roughly average out when next gen rolls around. Nintendo hopefully uses some kind of hardware incremental/optional upgrades along the way for them to remain current as some have eluded. Probably doesn't make too much sense... But that's where I sit. If the rumours and speculation are true I'm just happy they've got the balls to disrupt the console cycle this gen, makes me think they're either crazy-genious or just plain crazy and I'm more curious than ever wondering what they've got planned...

KingBroly

Banned
reread my comment

Remember that Nintendo tried to reboot Chibi-Robo as a platformer so it could reach more people. And they said if it failed, that'd be the last of Chibi-Robo. Well, think about it this way. If Fed Force does well, they're not going to make more Metroid games. They're going to make more Fed Force games. And if it doesn't do well, well...they're already not doing anything with it. Fed Force is just trying to animate a corpse at this point.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Remember that Nintendo tried to reboot Chibi-Robo as a platformer so it could reach more people. And they said if it failed, that'd be the last of Chibi-Robo. Well, think about it this way. If Fed Force does well, they're not going to make more Metroid games. They're going to make more Fed Force games. And if it doesn't do well, well...they're already not doing anything with it. Fed Force is just trying to animate a corpse at this point.

I'm bookmarking this.

They won't stop making Metroid because of one bad game and a spin-off.

Menitta

I'll be really upset if there's another gamepad equivalent. With the Wii U, if your gamepad breaks, you can't get into settings at all. Also, games will just become useless like Splatoon and Lego City Undercover.

ozfunghi

Remove everything other than Zelda, add Metroid Prime 4. Done.

Ragging on Pikmin... how do you keep a straight face. You just lost all credibility.

That picture. Aside from Zelda and Pikmin 4, the list boils down to ports of Wii U games or late PS4 ports. I doubt that will even end up being what the release schedule looks like, but some of y'all seem easy to please. There's nothing impressive about that in my opinion.

Not a big fan of Beyond Good & Evil i see.

Pikmin 4, Zelda, new Metroid, 3D Mario, Beyond Good and Evil 2, FZero...boom. Sick line up. Still don't understand why Nintendo refuse to touch F-Zero.

A big fan of Beyond Good & Evil i see.

Sorry, this isn't happening in this dimension.

Nanashrew

Banned
Heck, the numbered FF sequels are the only things Square hasn't published that's FF related on a Nintendo system in quite awhile. They've gotten just about everything else from Square though. Square's western studio output is another story though.

Same situation for Atlus these days. The last Atlus developed title for Playstation that wasn't Persona was Catherine. Every new original IP they've developed has been on Nintendo systems alongside the SMT series.

Well, here's basically how it worked;

From http://www.famicomdisksystem.com/

So they could keep retailers as part of the process by putting kiosks in stores.

Damn that's pretty impressive for an early '80s machine, gotta give 'em credit for that. Sounds like it worked pretty well too, but I can understand why it went away once cartridges took over.

But today? It could definitely be applicable. Just mail in a digital receipt for the digital purchase to a Gamestop, Best Buy etc., then they can press it to a physical copy for a small fee. Maybe they could order the manuals and packaging by bulk and I guess offering the digital copy for purchase through those chains could ensure that they don't over-order on physical materials, so tie it to a pre-order bonus for a physical copy of digital games. The retail chains could even offer their own bonuses on top of that.

That's just one way to do it anyway, but physical preservation of game software is still going to be required going forward, and at least a method like this doesn't piss off brick-and-mortar retailers and cut them out of the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom