• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

If a miracle happens & we do end up with a few more characters in Smash 4's NX Platform port, who would you realistically expect them to be? My guesses, in the (probably unlikely) scenario that we get more, would be...
  • Ice Climbers: I'd actually argue that we would be likely to get them either way if they were as far along in the Wii U version as Sakurai implied.
  • The Mystery Rhythm Heaven Rep (likely the Chorus Kids): We know thanks to data-mining that a Rhythm Heaven rep was planned & was worked on to some capacity. And Sal Romano's leak from super-early in Smash 4's planning stages does seem to indicate that said rep was the Chorus Kids. Depending on how far along the RH rep was in development, this would be a great time to put the finishing touches on the rep & release them (though I'd bet that the rep would take more time than, say, the Ice Climbers to finish).
  • Inkling: One of the glaring omissions from the initial wave of DLC, especially given the success of Splatoon & the fan demand behind the Inklings. The Inklings are more of a when than an if. And if (again) a miracle happens & we get more, this would be the time to add the Inklings (especially if Smash 5 is around 5 or so years out).
  • Wolf: Another glaring omission from the initial wave of DLC, more so since we got both Roy & Lucas during the Wii U/3DS run of DLC. Given that he's a Brawl veteran, his transition from a development standpoint should be around on-par with Lucas (though they may want to touch up Wolf's animations in Smash 4 if he got in, since they were a bit jerky in Brawl).
As for realistic stuff pertaining to the Smash 4 port, I do believe that if we don't get an announcement for at least Cloud's Amiibo in the near future, it's safe to assume that the Final 3 DLC Characters will have their Amiibos released alongside Smash 4's NX Platform port.

I think the Iinklings are unlikely, unless the development of the Smash port is much more extensive than expected. The painting mechanics likely would make them rather complex compared to other characters.

Neoxon

I gotta think Ice Climbers would be in it. Didn't Sakurai say he made Ice Climbers for the Wii U version?
Sakurai said that the Ice Climbers were working on the Wii U version. He never said that they were finished or near finished, & that's the thing that throws the likelihood of the Ice Climbers getting in the NX Platform port of Smash 4 into question.

Well I've been on "team E3 2016" for NX reveal since the conclusion of last year's E3 so I'm double downing and sticking with Nintendo not showing anything significant until E3. I wouldn't mind being wrong, because like I said I don't know if I can handle 2 more months of rumors haha.
Fair enough, but it wouldn't exactly allow Nintendo enough time to hype up the device(s). Not to mention that it would result in a bloated Digital Event/Press Conference/Whatever-Nintendo-Decides-To-Do trying to cram technical stuff about the device(s) & the games into one event. And again, there's the chance that Sony or Microsoft may completely steal Nintendo's thunder before Nintendo presents.

I think the Iinklings are unlikely, unless the development of the Smash port is much more extensive than expected. The painting mechanics likely would make them rather complex compared to other characters.
This is part of the reason why I think the Inklings were left out of the initial run of DLC. And if this is a simple port job, I doubt that Bandai Namco would even bother.

MK_768

Sakurai said that the Ice Climbers were working on the Wii U version. He never said that they were finished or near finished, & that's the thing that throws the likelihood of the Ice Climbers getting in the NX Platform port of Smash 4 into question.

Meh. I'd still expect Ice Climbers to be in there lol.

Nanashrew

Banned
What else would they have at launch? Theres no way there gonna drop a lineup full of first party titles, if anything the fact that this machine is easy to develop and port for makes me optimistic. Hopefully we see third party games being released on PC, PS4(K), XB1 and also the NX.

Just ditch the fucking Wii name. The Wii was weird and the Wii U was even weirder, hell the Nintendo Revolution was a better name for the Wii. Basically just return to the Nintendo Entertainment System or the Super Nintendo.

The Wii name used to be good though. It also had an excellent slogan in all of its commercials with "Wii would like to play." They made it work in hundreds of ways and the marketing was excellent, not to mention the entire concept was easy to understand too.

But yeah, I do believe they will be ditching that. Wii brand has become too toxic, and Nintendo seems to be rebranding and moving away from focusing on console name brands but just putting everything under one name brand. Stores are just showing banners with just Nintendo rather than Wii U or 3DS. NoA YT thumbnails also are starting have a red and white Nintendo logo regardless of system instead of a blue Wii U logo or a red 3DS logo.

Nairume

Banned
I get the feeling that SquareEnix is at least probably willing to keep the possibility of FF7r (and probably KH3 tbh) open.

15 would be a late port no matter what, but I imagine it'd probably also be something they'd consider if it were an easy enough port to shore up their overall numbers.

-Horizon-

Nanashrew

Banned
To be fair, discs would actually be relevant news given the cartridge rumors.

And it's odd that no sources want to talk about the format used. I can understand not talking specifics for just about every part of the system, but won't even say it has an optical disc drive? Seems like a standard console feature that wouldn't be a secret and wouldn't get anyone in trouble.

Malus

The Wii name used to be good though. It also had an excellent slogan in all of its commercials with "Wii would like to play." They made it work in hundreds of ways and the marketing was excellent, not to mention the entire concept was easy to understand too.

"The NX would like to flex."

MuscleMarch-Title.jpg

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If a miracle happens & we do end up with a few more characters in Smash 4's NX Platform port, who would you realistically expect them to be? My guesses, in the (probably unlikely) scenario that we get more, would be...
  • Ice Climbers: I'd actually argue that we would be likely to get them either way if they were as far along in the Wii U version as Sakurai implied.
  • The Mystery Rhythm Heaven Rep (likely the Chorus Kids): We know thanks to data-mining that a Rhythm Heaven rep was planned & was worked on to some capacity. And Sal Romano's leak from super-early in Smash 4's planning stages does seem to indicate that said rep was the Chorus Kids. Depending on how far along the RH rep was in development, this would be a great time to put the finishing touches on the rep & release them (though I'd bet that the rep would take more time than, say, the Ice Climbers to finish).
  • Inkling: One of the glaring omissions from the initial wave of DLC, especially given the success of Splatoon & the fan demand behind the Inklings. The Inklings are more of a when than an if. And if (again) a miracle happens & we get more, this would be the time to add the Inklings (especially if Smash 5 is around 5 or so years out).
  • Wolf: Another glaring omission from the initial wave of DLC, more so since we got both Roy & Lucas during the Wii U/3DS run of DLC. Given that he's a Brawl veteran, his transition from a development standpoint should be around on-par with Lucas (though they may want to touch up Wolf's animations in Smash 4 if he got in, since they were a bit jerky in Brawl).
As for realistic stuff pertaining to the Smash 4 port, I do believe that if we don't get an announcement for at least Cloud's Amiibo in the near future, it's safe to assume that the Final 3 DLC Characters will have their Amiibos released alongside Smash 4's NX Platform port.

I always imagine that we are going to get Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin Amiibo this summer. Like July-ish.

If they actually add new characters in Smash NX, then I could see them releasing those new characters' Amiibo along with Smash NX for people to pick it up together. Just like Smash Bros for Wii U and 12 Amiibo.

Neoxon

I always imagine that we are going to get Cloud, Bayonetta and Corrin Amiibo this summer. Like July-ish.

If they actually add new characters in Smash NX, then I could see them releasing those new characters' Amiibo along with Smash NX for people to pick it up together. Just like Smash Bros for Wii U and 12 Amiibo.
If we're going by the 9-month gap that the post-Mewtwo DLC characters went by, we would theoretically expect Cloud to drop in August while Bayonetta & Corrin get their Amiibos in September. But if we don't hear about at least Cloud soon, it'd be safe to assume that their Amiibos are being saved for the NX Platform port.

And again, I don't think we'll get any characters (beyond maybe the Ice Climbers, if we're lucky). That post was just me humoring the idea for the sake of speculation.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If we're going by the 9-month gap that the post-Mewtwo DLC characters went by, we would theoretically expect Cloud to drop in August while Bayonetta & Corrin get their Amiibos in September. But if we don't hear about at least Cloud soon, it'd be safe to assume that their Amiibos are being saved for the NX Platform port.

And again, I don't think we'll get any characters (beyond maybe the Ice Climbers, if we're lucky). That post was just me humoring the idea for the sake of speculation.

You don't really need to repeat latter one because you already mentioned that in your post. :p

It's all speculations. To be frank, I'm not expecting any new contents in first place but I'm hoping for the best and I just enjoy smash discussions.

KingBroly

Banned

They tend to announce new amiibo 2-3 months in advance, and when newer amiibo are just about to come out. This time the Kirby ones are coming out COINCIDENTALLY (not) around the time E3 occurs :O On top of that, they tend to come out 2-3 months after said release date announcement. But this one's special.

Fess

Don't think a console Zelda has ever been 60fps, doubt Zelda U will aim for it.
All prior Zelda games on console until Ocarina of Time were 60fps.

But I still doubt that Zelda U/NX will be 60fps, and why would it be? Look at the ravings about the graphics in Quantum Break, The Order, Rise of The Tomb Raider, Uncharted 4, Gears of War 4, Driveclub etc, people stopped caring about the framerate being above 30fps on console long ago.

Kaisos

I'll be really upset if there's another gamepad equivalent. With the Wii U, if your gamepad breaks, you can't get into settings at all. Also, games will just become useless like Splatoon and Lego City Undercover.

If they were even considering Splatoon and Mario Maker at all (the currently-released first-party games that make the most use of the Gamepad on the system) as well as Zelda U (which I don't doubt will also use the Gamepad in some significant way) being apparently 100% confirmed, and how generally untapped the idea of a controller with a screen still feels, I'd think that the NX would definitely have some equivalent of a Gamepad. I'd also think that it would be significantly better.

Wasn't Ocarina like 20fps? That's some drop, not that anyone cared about that then.

Fess

Wasn't Ocarina like 20fps? That's some drop, not that anyone cared about that then.
Yup. And 17fps in Europe. Unplayable imo, played it til the end for the first time on the 3DS remake, which was gloooorious in comparison even though it was still just 30fps.

Menitta

If they were even considering Splatoon and Mario Maker at all (the currently-released first-party games that make the most use of the Gamepad on the system) as well as Zelda U (which I don't doubt will also use the Gamepad in some significant way) being apparently 100% confirmed, and how generally untapped the idea of a controller with a screen still feels, I'd think that the NX would definitely have some equivalent of a Gamepad. I'd also think that it would be significantly better.

I'm just hoping it's not required to make the system go. My Wii U broke (the wifi module) last month and trying to back up my external hard drive before sending it in for repair was a freaking nightmare.

The NX HAS to have an exclusive character. Its just a damn good selling point.

Hell, if there is no Smash 5 anytime soon, I welcome more stages and characters.

Even being able to have a non-compromised 8 player smash would benefit greatly on NX

Edit: Daily "give me my ice climbers / ice climbers amiibo" post

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

But I still doubt that Zelda U/NX will be 60fps, and why would it be? Look at the ravings about the graphics in Quantum Break, The Order, Rise of The Tomb Raider, Uncharted 4, Gears of War 4, Driveclub etc, people stopped caring about the framerate being above 30fps on console long ago.

Well, Nintendo seems to value 60 fps for most of their action-y titles, so it is a little odd for them. Aren't Mario (minus Sunshine, I think), Mario Kart, Splatoon, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and other series all 60 fps? For whatever reason, they target 30 fps in Zelda, despite it being closer to Mario than Animal Crossing in terms of reflexes needed. (However, I will admit that Zelda really is a slower game than most of their titles.)

I do expect Zelda U/NX to be 30 fps. If we're lucky, I'm hoping it's 720/30 on Wii U and 1080/30 on NX.

Well, Nintendo seems to value 60 fps for most of their action-y titles, so it is a little odd for them. Aren't Mario (minus Sunshine, I think), Mario Kart, Splatoon, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and other series all 60 fps? For whatever reason, they target 30 fps in Zelda, despite it being closer to Mario than Animal Crossing in terms of reflexes needed. (However, I will admit that Zelda really is a slower game than most of their titles.)

I do expect Zelda U/NX to be 30 fps. If we're lucky, I'm hoping it's 720/30 on Wii U and 1080/30 on NX.
Nintendo will have to pick.. either keep the Wii U version as baseline and up the resolution and make it 60 or go all out with effects and stuff and make it 30. I will take the 30. 60 if they can do both

tr1p1ex

I'm just hoping it's not required to make the system go. My Wii U broke (the wifi module) last month and trying to back up my external hard drive before sending it in for repair was a freaking nightmare.

I've had my Wii U repaired 3x for the same problem. Last time though I only had to send in my GAmepad to get it fixed. I think the GAmepad has some reliability problems.

The fact you can't easily get another Gamepad like you can a typical game controller is very annoying.

E-phonk

Banned
And it's odd that no sources want to talk about the format used. I can understand not talking specifics for just about every part of the system, but won't even say it has an optical disc drive?.

Dev kits often don't have drives. They are linked to your pc and you build/upload your code to the devkit. So it's perfectly possible to work on an NX project without knowing the format.

To give you an idea, here is one of the wiiU devkits:
http://vgleaks.com/wii-u-devkit-cat-dev-v3/

swatahafa

Banned
I wonder how Nintendo's going to break out of their current demographic. The Wii U limited them to Nintendo fans only, basically everyone else ignored them this generation.

What they really need is FIFA/Madden, CoD and GTA. Those are the mass market titles which sells a lot of Ps4s. Even if they manage to reach out with their brands via the smartphone market, I still believe their own games can only take them around 10 million in sales, like the Wii U.

The Wii was a fluke and so many millions of people only bought because it was the next cool thing. You can also look at sales data and see that as soon as Kinect was released, Wii sales dropped because then this auidience moved on to the next cool thing.

If Nintendo can't get FIFA, CoD and GTA and have versions which match those of PlayStation, then they'll be just as lost the upcoming generation as they were this generation.

I strongly believe this.

Menitta

I've had my Wii U repaired 3x for the same problem. Last time though I only had to send in my GAmepad to get it fixed. I think the GAmepad has some reliability problems.

The fact you can't easily get another Gamepad like you can a typical game controller is very annoying.

I had to send it in twice, but mine was the opposite. The first time, I sent in just the gamepad. A week later, it breaks again. Then I sent in both the gamepad and the console. Now it works. A console can have a controller like the gamepad, but it needs the ability to use a regular controller to use the basic functions of the console like access settings. Not having that almost puts a timer on the lifespan of the console when they stop doing repairs.

The NX HAS to have an exclusive character. Its just a damn good selling point.

Hell, if there is no Smash 5 anytime soon, I welcome more stages and characters.

Even being able to have a non-compromised 8 player smash would benefit greatly on NX

Edit: Daily "give me my ice climbers / ice climbers amiibo" post

Man, the 3DS has so many good stages....like...I really REALLY like that Pacman stage on the 3DS, I cry every-time I fight on the Wii U Pacland level....

Sky Chief

I wonder how Nintendo's going to break out of their current demographic. The Wii U limited them to Nintendo fans only, basically everyone else ignored them this generation.

What they really need is FIFA/Madden, CoD and GTA. Those are the mass market titles which sells a lot of Ps4s. Even if they manage to reach out with their brands via the smartphone market, I still believe their own games can only take them around 10 million in sales, like the Wii U.

The Wii was a fluke and so many millions of people only bought because it was the next cool thing. You can also look at sales data and see that as soon as Kinect was released, Wii sales dropped because then this auidience moved on to the next cool thing.

If Nintendo can't get FIFA, CoD and GTA and have versions which match those of PlayStation, then they'll be just as lost the upcoming generation as they were this generation.

I strongly believe this.

They're not getting COD and FIFA again. If you don't remember they had those franchises on Wii U and that didn't help Nintendo or the publishers. No way that Nintendo is ever getting third party games like that again regardless of what they do.

MK_768

They're not getting COD and FIFA again. If you don't remember they had those franchises on Wii U and that didn't help Nintendo or the publishers. No way that Nintendo is ever getting third party games like that again regardless of what they do.

Lol.

Nanashrew

Banned

Fifa 15 is on 3DS though. As for 16, there is no version for any handheld. Stuff could change if their handheld is more powerful to support new version.

Now, their home console side? Who knows.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Wait. Those ate exactly the (only) games that would be easy ports for a powerful enough console. Those publishers put those games.on everything as a "mission". I dirmly believe that Nintendo needs a miracle to get decent third party support but those games are at least very possible around the launch period, at least with one episode

swatahafa

Banned

They didn't sell because the Wii U versions were crap ports. They need to have EA and Activision put as many resources into them as they do into Xbox and Ps versions.

Because seriously, Nintendo can't be left without these games, millions and millions of people will ignore their new console if they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom