• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
Are you talking about vii or xv?
Never heard about vii from any reliable source.
Btw I gave just tried to separate your OP rumors from these opinions
Sorry. Yeah. I heard news XV coming to NX from one person only, so I don't want to confirm that.

Wouldn't it be awesome if NX launched on September 30th with FFXV?

tr1p1ex

Mass Effect didn't sell for a number of obvious reasons. The foremost being that the entire trilogy was available for $30 less on other consoles. EA Sports moved to an engine they couldn't get running on Wii U.

It was no secret that EA abandoned Wii U early on because they found it difficult to program for and underpowered.

except EA still makes Madden for the lesser powered 360/PS3 and released Madden for the Wii U in 2013.

They didn't continue because of $$$$$$.

Mass Effect was like quite a few Wii U ports : too little too late for too much.

Banned
I wouldn't doubt something like Super Mario 3D World 2. I just don't see them doing anything "crazy" like Sunshine again.

Same goes for IS and Paper Mario.But this topic is for another discussion.

OT: Can't wait to hear some potential news on the 27th.

Decent chance it will be another Galaxy if Miyamoto was genuine in saying he'd like to revisit that game.
I'd love that but I doubt it.

Nintendo builds its Mario games based off the hardware. 64 was about 3D traversal so you had big open spaced levels.

GameCube was just a more powerful n64 so they decided to do something whacky.

Galaxy was built around the Wii remote (gravity pointing with Wii remote) and it's hardware limitations (the Wii only rendering the planets Mario was on at that time, so each planet was like a small level).

If the NX is about power this time, you'll likely get a game returning to large levels again and a large hub like Super Mario 64.

I'm still okay with the New series, but they really do need to spruce it up a lot. The art style could be so much better. Also I feel they really do need a grand 3D Mario adventure at launch to really gain a lot of mind share besides just Zelda. They need to really bring it.
Nintendo has enough 2D platformers. Plus Mario maker is coming. No need for that series. Unless Nintendo likes sales of games and stuff :p

lol the game was a 2-3 yr old port with a design gimmick centered on the 2nd screen controller from a lesser system by the time it got to the X1/Ps4.

yes it wasn't the greatest game in the world, but it was a pretty good launch game. Yet still did poorly.

It's fate was sealed by Nintendo.
That's why the WiiU failed, that's why 3rd parties have started quite publicly to burn bridges with them, and that's why I don't think any of the big 3 western publishers will be back for NX launch unless Nintendos strategy changed completely from being centred exclusively around their needs towards a strategy that involves 3rd parties on equal footing.

For that they not only need a more or less future proof hardware, which is the easy part, but a complete UTurn in company strategy, and that's what I simply can't see them do or try.

But stranger things have happened

Malus

Decent chance it will be another Galaxy if Miyamoto was genuine in saying he'd like to revisit that game.

3D World 2, Galaxy 3, Sunshine 2, yada yada yada. We need a new flavor of 3D Mario to usher in the new generation. I especially don't expect Sunshine 2 anyways or something like that since EPD Tokyo's first 3D Mario game was Galaxy (though I imagine some if not a bunch of people from 64 and Sunshine are working with EPD Tokyo).

I'll settle for a 3D Jungle Beat tho.

If the NX is about power this time, you'll likely get a game returning to large levels again and a large hub like Super Mario 64.

heh

hehehehe

I don't know what else to say to that lol.

Zalman

3D World 2, Galaxy 3, Sunshine 2, yada yada yada. We need a new flavor of 3D Mario to usher in the new generation. I especially don't expect Sunshine 2 anyways or something like that since EPD Tokyo's first 3D Mario game was Galaxy (though I imagine some if not a bunch of people from 64 and Sunshine are working with EPD Tokyo).

I'll settle for a 3D Jungle Beat tho.
Personally I think Galaxy 3 is the most likely outcome (based on Miyamoto's comments), but to be honest their track record is so good I'll take anything from them.

Roo

I just hope it has a friggin ethernet port this time. I hate that I have to use that awful usb adapter on Wii U.

We were discussing this in one of the old NX threads and some random dude was like.. Why the fuck would Nintendo spend money on a port only a vocal minority cares about. Wifi is just fine.

We were like.. lol
Ethernet port would be nice. And I bet it's probably one of the cheapest parts of a console next to USB and HDMI ports.

Banned
You were doing so good for a while too...
If I knew the gimmick of NX then I'd say that would be what Mario is focused on this time.

Let's not forget it's sonics anniversary and there's supposed to be a game coming, is there not? Those sell best on Nintendo platforms so I could see that coming to NX too.

The point is lots of games should be coming to NX from Nintendo and the usual backers of their platformes for the launch window.

If people are expecting a list of 100 NX games coming, that's not happening till E3 or the reveal event.

Nanashrew

Banned
That's why the WiiU failed, that's why 3rd parties have started quite publicly to burn bridges with them, and that's why I don't think any of the big 3 western publishers will be back for NX launch unless Nintendos strategy changed completely from being centred exclusively around their needs towards a strategy that involves 3rd parties on equal footing.

For that they not only need a more or less future proof hardware, which is the easy part, but a complete UTurn in company strategy, and that's what I simply can't see them do or try.

Something I am curious about is Kimishima. He does understand the west and our sensibilities since he has lived in the US for a long time and has a family here, so I wonder if he could do something to help in relations with western 3rd parties. He was also the person to warn them about the Wii U failing because it was too similar to the previous system.

Of course, this will take a long time to fix.

Banned
Something I am curious about is Kimishima. He does understand the west and our sensibilities since he has lived in the US for a long time and has a family here, so I wonder if he could do something to help in relations with western 3rd parties. He was also the person to warn them about the Wii U failing because it was too similar to the previous system.

That's good to hear. Because as much as I loved Iwata, he was tone deaf when it came to things outside of Japan. Even the Wii U's design was heavily Japanese inspired, from size, to power draw, to the off-tv play.

MAtgS

Retro Studios
Prime - 2002
Prime 2 - 2004
Prime 3 - 2007
DKCR - 2010
DKCTF - 2014 (game was finished November 2013 but pushed to February 2014 because of 3D World release date being a week later than the scheduled TF release date)

So Retro's game will likely be November 2016-March 2017 window.

If Retro's working on a new MP, I'd be a bit weary of them releasing so soon since A) The original MP team leads left the studio, B) they haven't done 1 in a long time & would be a tad bit rusty, & C) it's a big graphics jump & they'd have to adapt to new hardware.

cordy

Banned
I've been thinking of what this new Mario will be like for the longest time and honestly I just have no idea. Personally, I wouldn't mind a Mario that's a full on open world connecting piece by piece to other worlds showing the strength of the console. It can be in the Mushroom Kingdom, it can deal with Mario and Bowser as always but making it a complete open world-like experience might be smart. I wouldn't be opposed to Mario getting upgrades but I doubt they'll do that.

I just have no idea what they can do after 64 and the Galaxy series. Maybe they'll do a Galaxy 3 which IMO would be like Universe which is a big miss considering the Wii U title, just depends what they call the system. Super Mario NEXT or something.

Personally, I want us to go back to the Mushroom Kingdon and/or Dinosaur Land areas from 1, 3 and World but that's just me. I miss those heavily.

KingBroly

Banned
That's good to hear. Because as much as I loved Iwata, he was tone deaf when it came to things outside of Japan. Even the Wii U's design was heavily Japanese inspired, from size, to power draw, to the off-tv play.

I could've told you that about Nintendo's design philosophy under him. He really hurt Nintendo's western developer reach outside of a few, select type of games.

I still believe Nintendo needs more western developers, and especially needs 1 in Europe because they have no representation over there right now.

EDIT - My 2 cents is that Retro's next game is going to use UE4

Kimishima to me seems like a pragmatic business guy. That alone might put their strategy in a completely new direction in regards to how 3rd parties are implemented.
That might not make him as likable as Iwata, but it might just be what the company needs right now. On top of that I believe we're due for years of their best original output since the N64 with splatoon showing quite clearly that people want them to branch out into new gameplay experiences and IPs.

Nintendo needs to stop catering to their old fans exclusively as that will just isolate them even further. The NX is poised to begin the hard road ot cultivating a new audience unburdened by the focus on an ever shrinking group of diehards.

Banned
Almost 3000 posts and still no real reason to think any of this is true.
Is that because the idea of Nintendo having a console more powerful than its competitors three years later is unbelievable? There's nothing mind unusual or mind blowing in the OP. And it's not the first time we've heard any of it.

Peru

I know people talk a lot about an open world Mario. But it runs counter to what the series' strengths are, the playful pure platforming challenges. Turn 3D Mario into an action adventure thing like Ratchet & Clank and I'd cry. Better to create the illusion of openness - people still sometimes talk of Galaxy as if it was a more open 3D Mario when it was very linear.

Almost 3000 posts and still no real reason to think any of this is true.

This is backed by several separate credible leakers. So.. every reason to believe it's true.

Nanashrew

Banned
Kimishima to me seems like a pragmatic business guy. That alone might put their strategy in a completely new direction in regards to how 3rd parties are implemented.
That might not make him as likable as Iwata, but it might just be what the company needs right now. On top of that I believe we're due for years of their best original output since the N64 with splatoon showing quite clearly that people want them to branch out into new gameplay experiences and IPs.

Nintendo needs to stop catering to their old fans exclusively as that will just isolate them even further. The NX is poised to begin the hard road ot cultivating a new audience unburdened by the focus on an ever shrinking group of diehards.

I completely agree with you. I don't think I have much else to add to that.

cordy

Banned
I know people talk a lot about an open world Mario. But it runs counter to what the series' strengths are, the playful pure platforming challenges. Turn 3D Mario into an action adventure thing like Ratchet & Clank and I'd cry. Better to create the illusion of openness - people still sometimes talk of Galaxy as if it was a more open 3D Mario when it was very linear.

I'm just stumped on what they could do if it's not open world and open world is like the new "thing" these days. If it's not open world what would they do? I don't think it'll be 2D, I can see it being some sort of 3D but it's a matter of what they could do that breaks boundaries. I mean we could see a mega-huge version of the Galaxy series, Galaxy 3 as Universe or something but I think that would be too samey rather than being something brand new to the platform. They have to do something that separates this compared to the previous ones.

That's one of Nintendo's strengths though, they always know how to break the mold and bring something new. I'm not worried about the next big Mario, I'm just very curious and interested in the direction they're going.

Jackano

I hope so too. That's the first thing I'm waiting from Kimishima actually. Make Nintendo a true global company, not a Kyoto-centric one. They did had more western games/studios back in 90's/early 2000s and Iwata closed them down :/

Malus

I agree with this. Plus, nothing in EPD Tokyo's history suggests to me that the next game will be open world or that they'd even be good at making that type of game. I suppose it'd be interesting to see what their take on that style would be though.

I'm just stumped on what they could do if it's not open world and open world is like the new "thing" these days. If it's not open world what would they do? I don't think it'll be 2D, I can see it being some sort of 3D but it's a matter of what they could do that breaks boundaries. I mean we could see a mega-huge version of the Galaxy series, Galaxy 3 as Universe or something but I think that would be too samey rather than being something brand new to the platform. They have to do something that separates this compared to the previous ones.

That's one of Nintendo's strengths though, they always know how to break the mold and bring something new. I'm not worried about the next big Mario, I'm just very curious and interested in the direction they're going.

Open world and "mega huge" isn't really unique for the series. They'll likely have a variety of new core gameplay ideas to spice up the formula, and hopefully a fresh and interesting style of presentation to match.

Banned

Probably 64-2 in scope.

antonz

How were the reviews for the later port?

Faired about the same. It was a Traditional style Survival Horror Game in the era of run and gun being the style of choice. Game had flaws such as far too limited melee and such but it just was never intended to be a fast paced charge in guns blazing game. Ironically its multiplayer mode was more COD style and unsurprisingly it was relatively well enjoyed by reviewers compared to the main game when it first came out. Best way to describe ZombiU is a flawed game that was from another period design wise. People who favor run and gun found it terrible. People who didn't mind a slower pace found it enjoyable

tr1p1ex

Yeah you're preaching to the choir for the most part. Nintendo wants to create the next great gaming experience and they believe hardware is a key part of that. They have no desire to create a generic box and controller. And compete directly on price and marketing. That puts them at odds with what western 3rd parties want which is for Nintendo to release a similar box as MS and Sony so they can easily port their games over.

So unless Nintendo magically changes their DNA overnight and does a 180, the dreams of support from 3rd parties are hopeless. It won't happen. Nintendo's console is a 1st party box. I knew that 100% when I bought a Wii U at launch.

Also even if the NX can run PS4/X1 games it doesn't mean you'll see proper 3rd party support. Three's a crowd. And the NX is 60 million install base in the hole already and counting. The GC didn't keep getting 3rd party support after awhile even though it had the same power and started off selling about as well as the Xbox. By the end of its lifecycle, the GC had lost all its 3rd party support with few exceptions.

MoonFrog

???

I'm pretty sure the 'Nintendo diehards' of today were there for N64-GCN and were not the lapsed customers that the Wii was seeking. I'm also pretty sure they are capable of operating 3D games, so how is Mario's "let's back away from the failed 3D experiment that alienates less experienced gamers" direction at all an appeal to 'Nintendo diehards?'

I don't mean that as shade at 3D World but that is explicitly why it is what it is.

I think you fundamentally misunderstand who Nintendo has been targeting. The Wii U largely only has Nintendo diehards not because that's who Nintendo wants, but because the Wii U failed.

R00bot

Nintendo has enough 2D platformers. Plus Mario maker is coming. No need for that series. Unless Nintendo likes sales of games and stuff :p

I feel like Nintendo will revisit 2D Mario in the future, even just to show people how goddamn bad their Mario Maker levels are, in fact, if Mario Maker does come to the NX I expect it will come with a good deal more Nintendo made levels.

I just hope it has a friggin ethernet port this time. I hate that I have to use that awful usb adapter on Wii U.

Fuck, I already thought it was ridiculous on the Wii but I didn't t know they did the same for Wii U, holy shit they're out if their minds! I don't even bother playing multiplayer over WiFi.

By the way, I think that third parties will probably just cheaply port a lot of stuff in the first year, specially for launch window, as ubisoft always does, just to test the waters and get some of those first game sales. The problem is going to be the second year, if sales are not really really good, third parties are going to abandon ship super quick.

Personally, I think this is perhaps the last chance for Nintendo to claim back the mind share they once had as the main vídeo-game company. If they fail, I think it will all be Sony vs Microsoft in terms of hardware for the foreseeable future and Nintendo will have to accept becoming a software company. I know this opinion will piss off a lot of you but it's really what I believe.

tr1p1ex

He said he didn't think the Wii U was different enough. And he has said that the NX is a new concept. I expect something original unique and new first and foremost. I'm sure they will leave the door open for 3rd parties. I'm sure 3rd parties will have at least one game each at launch. But wouldn't count on more. And wouldn't count on anyone buying the NX to play western 3rd party games.

This is such a dumb point.

They obviously tried to lure the expanded audience again and didn't just double down on Mario, Mario and Zelda.

You'd have to be wilfully ignorant to handwave the all those sequels to DS/Wii's expanded audience software, or even their in-house attempt to get some of the shooter audience on board.
Or JRPG players by funding Tokyo mirage session and Xenoblade X.
Or the characters action fans by funding W101 and Bayonetta 2 and publishing Ninja Gaiden 3 RE.

They absolutely are trying to reach out, it just didn't quite work so far.

For everyone hoping for new characters in the Smash port...

If Nintendo is only 50% on Splatoon and Mario Maker because they want them to be compatible with Wii U players then doesn't this mean they want the same for Smash?

Terrell

All prior Zelda games on console until Ocarina of Time were 60fps.

But I still doubt that Zelda U/NX will be 60fps, and why would it be? Look at the ravings about the graphics in Quantum Break, The Order, Rise of The Tomb Raider, Uncharted 4, Gears of War 4, Driveclub etc, people stopped caring about the framerate being above 30fps on console long ago.

Speak for yourself. There's a rather grand debate about it on GAF that gets regularly re-ignited.

I will never discount the good ideas Iwata brought to the table. Wii was something in the right place at the right time. A lot of what the NX is will be a part of his legacy. He understood the industry quite well.

But Iwata was not without his failings. Being slow to react was one of his more aggressive recurring faults, the other being a lack of aggressive business tactics, which is partly what killed the Wii. They just couldn't deliver when consumers wanted more than what they were getting with the Wii and a failure to capitalize on this in time was what led to the Wii U, a platform that was 2-3 years too late to make a difference.

I don't think we know enough about Kimishima to really know what he's going to do with the legacy that Iwata left for him to steer. We can certainly speculate on it, and he's said some very strongly encouraging things, but until we see momentum in one direction or the other, we can't really see him as any sort of solution to Nintendo's problems.

Nanashrew

Banned
Nintendo does overly rely on their signature IPs (for good reason) but they do need to broaden further. N64 and Gamecube eras had NST making games for the west, and not to mention they made more big exclusive deals for major brands like Star Wars.

The Wii U's software library barely broadens their scope and more caters to my needs with a ton of platformers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom