• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm in the minority in loving Super Mario 3D World, but I'd love a 3D Mario game that was a mix between Super Mario 64 and 3D World.

AzaK

He said he didn't think the Wii U was different enough. And he has said that the NX is a new concept. I expect something original unique and new first and foremost. I'm sure they will leave the door open for 3rd parties. I'm sure 3rd parties will have at least one game each at launch. But wouldn't count on more. And wouldn't count on anyone buying the NX to play western 3rd party games.

Wasn't new enough? New compared to what? The Wii, or what was currently out there (Ps3/360?)

Dam would love a 2.5~3.0 Tflops console from nintendo.
Haven't really put much stock into nintendo consoles because of the little performance
they have.

AzaK

Dam would love a 2.5~3.0 Tflops console from nintendo.
Haven't really put much stock into nintendo consoles because of the little performance
they have.

How about a 1.5TFlop console for $250 where you can plug in another 1-2TFlop if/when you can afford it?

BELIEVE!

Peterc

Wasn't new enough? New compared to what? The Wii, or what was currently out there (Ps3/360?)

A gamepad with screen was new, but didn't changed allot of how you played games, we already experience it on nds GC+gba. There is some small new experience like amiibo.

The wii did offer a whole new experience.

the most devices from nintendo offered a new experience.

Hope they can do it again, but this times again with a powerfull console.

jdstorm

Banned
It's crazy to see howmany gamesites taking nx information from neogaf.

Also found this game engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbMpqqCCrFQ
Wonder if Nx could run it

Well the guy creating it said that that demo was running on a single CPU core and was easily scaleable so there is no reason to assume that it couldn't run on any modern machine.

Edit: if anything the increased CPU power of a modern 14 or 16 nm core would increase the potential resolution.
What could cause a problem is that the video only ran at 15-20FPS. Obviously VR needs 90FPS minimum, but I'm sure they are working on that as we type this.

Yeah Nintendo could do Galaxy 3 but I would want them to do something entirely new. A new concept like Sunshine or Galaxy.
I would love to have that feeling of open world with the Hub like in 64 or Sunshine. I spent so much time just exploring, jumping on the roofs of Delphino plaza, chilling at the beach and playing with coconuts and so on.

Agreed. The planets thing was cool, but I'd rather have larger spaces to run around and explore in the next one. You're right, you could have a blast just goofing around in Delphino Plaza. Sunshine is underrated IMO.

Neoxon

I don't think that's a fair comparison. TPHD was outsourced.

A lot of signs point to a good chance, especially if Namco Bandai/Nintendo is still handling it. (the job listing for SSB5?)

I am willing to bet on a complete edition with at LEAST 1 exclusive character.
That was for Smash 4 DLC.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It'll be done in agreement with the old guard. I don't think Kimishima is in the same "quitus" position as was Iwata. It's not a movie cast guys.

Isn't some of the old guard e.g Miyamoto, taking of a back step in ters of hardware decisions. Kirishima is more of finance guy to get Nintendo back onto the path of profitability, so I expect pricing launch and a lot of the infrastructure to be influenced by him.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
A gamepad with screen was new, but didn't changed allot of how you played games, we already experience it on nds GC+gba. There is some small new experience like amiibo.

The wii did offer a whole new experience.

the most devices from nintendo offered a new experience.

Hope they can do it again, but this times again with a powerfull console.

I highly doubt that, your more likely to get a wii u power with a whole you experience or a 3DS/wii than a genuinely powerful console. All that costs money it eats into the budget and Nintendo isn't in the business of selling $599 consoles. The performance of recent Nintendo consoles wasn't a simple accident it was intentional trade off, that sometimes worked and sometimes did not.

Lol no it wouldn't remember ps2 vs gamecube, yes gamecube was more powerful but the ps2 stream rolled it, I can't believe anyone thinks sony is worried about the power of nx, Sony will have a 50 million lead by the time nx launches.

Of course Sony is worried about more powerful consoles. Most gamers from the PS360Wii gen don't even have a current gen console yet.

Sony leads simply because they had the most powerful console. If the XOne had been more powerful it had the lead. When it comes to exclusive games the PS4 is behind both XOne and Wii U, but multiplatform games are almost always better on PS4.

Sony is fully aware why the PS4 is successful thats the reason for the PS4k.

Of course Sony is worried about more powerful consoles. Most gamers from the PS360Wii gen don't even have a current gen console yet.

Sony leads simply because they had the most powerful console. If the XOne had been more powerful it had the lead. When it comes to exclusive games the PS4 is behind both XOne and Wii U, but multiplatform games are almost always better on PS4.

History has shown this to be factually untrue. In fact, if microsoft hadnt botched the xbone reveal i think the current gen sales landscape would look very different.

maxcriden

Reading through the thread I started thinking that at the very same time we're discussing these rumors, Nintendo employees must be doing some of the following at Kyoto HQ:

-Finalizing target designs for the console, controller and other peripherals.
-Deciding color schemes, logos, typography and basic marketing between several options.
-Working on technical demos, playable demos and trailers.
-Testing latest stable build of NX OS in prototypes destined to E3/press event.
-Sending memos to key third parties about deadlines for E3 demos/trailers.
-Maybe recording/editing the next Nintendo Direct and designing/sending invitations for the press.
-Recording interviews with Nintendo engineers, designers and third party members about development.
-Recording promotional videos with actors showing the new controller possibilities (and non-specific-action-figure).
-Magic.

...right now, as we speak, they're working frenetically against the clock, designing, touching, playing the NX...

it's almost here...

hype! :p

Love this post. So fun to think about. 😊

geordiemp

History has shown this to be factually untrue. In fact, if microsoft hadnt botched the xbone reveal i think the current gen sales landscape would look very different.

Historically most people were not informed about console specs and power, so your point is not valid.

I did not know if Gamecube or ps2 was more powerful, because social media and forums were not so widespread like today. Ps2 played discs, that alone was important.

Also Sony marketed the Ps4 like this

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-the-world-s-most-powerful-console-according-to/1100-6427532/

History is not always relevant when circumstances change.

If someone flips a coin you would guess heads or tails or go with what you like. If you knew the coin was weighted and shaped to favour landing on heads....then things are different. This generation is the first time allot of people understand console relative power.

Mr Swine

Banned
Agreed. The planets thing was cool, but I'd rather have larger spaces to run around and explore in the next one. You're right, you could have a blast just goofing around in Delphino Plaza. Sunshine is underrated IMO.

I would rather have a fully fledged Super Mario Bros 3 type game but in 3D. 7-9 different areas (land then), hidden stuff (warp pipes) big castles with mini bosses and Koopalings within every land.

Mario can save 1 item to use and items like Starman are extremely hard to catch and store

Historically most people were not informed about console specs and power, so your point is not valid.

I did not know if Gamecube or ps2 was more powerful, because social media and forums were not so widespread like today. Ps2 played discs, that alone was important.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-the-world-s-most-powerful-console-according-to/1100-6427532/

If someone flips a coin you would guess heads or tails or go with what you like. If you knew the coin was weighted and shaped to favour landing on heads....then things are different. This generation is the first time allot of people understand console relative power.

Well, just last generation the best selling console wasn't the most powerful. So you don't even have to go back to the PS2. At the end of the day what has now is far more important than power, and that's mindshare. That's why the PS4 still sells more even with all of the promotions and pricedrops that MS does. It's simply the go to console this generation for most people.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

You're completely ignoring the colossal fan backlash Microsoft got when they were talking about the console not being able to play used games and being always online required. They took a huge hit with the audience over that. I am convinced that played a big role in what is happening now.

geordiemp

Well, just last generation the best selling console wasn't the most powerful. So you don't even have to go back to the PS2. At the end of the day what has now is far more important than power, and that's mindshare. That's why the PS4 still sells more even with all of the promotions and pricedrops that MS does. It's simply the go to console this generation for most people.

MMM, thats a difficult one last gen, most powerful was almost a draw. And funnily enough, 360 and Ps3 were very close world wide...

360 ran most multiplat games better, especially stuff in unreal engine 3. Digital foundry had a rack of 360 winning titles, and 360 certainly gave ps3 a run for its money and established MS in the market place.

But on paper, if the cells SPE was used, Ps3 could pull the best visuals..but only Sony first party ever seemed to bother.

So even last gen I would say 360 power for multiplats helped it grow MS share over Sony considerably. Cerny was smart and learned from this, easy power for all multiplats is 1 important factor (as is online, X party chat, Social integration).

You're completely ignoring the colossal fan backlash Microsoft got when they were talking about the console not being able to play used games and being always online required. They took a huge hit with the audience over that. I am convinced that played a big role in what is happening now.

Nah, it was just one of the moans...If Xb1 had a strong CPU and say a ridiculous 970 equivalent GPU and that price sans Kinect it would of sold bucket loads, DRM or not. Thats just my opinion, we will never know.

For me, Xb1 died the day COD Ghosts ran at 720p and struggled, everyone I know who was a 360 gamer defected because of that alone (anecdotal). How COD runs on new gen consoles is a big deal to many.

OCD Guy

The ps4 being more powerful is not the reason it has sold more. Infact the most powerful console hasn't always resulted in more sales.

If we look at the some of the best selling consoles of all time, the ps2 certainly wasn't the most powerful console, neither was the Wii.

Xbox as a brand is weak in certain countries anyway, that's been the case since the inception of the Xbox.

Add to that the initial Xbox one reveal backlash, and a catalogue of errors, from the pricing, to the bundling of Kinect etc and there are similarities to the PS3 launch, bad E3, high price, weaker multi platform games etc. Microsoft have certainly played a part in helping Sony achieve the sales it has so far. The success of the ps4 isn't simply down to it being the more powerful console.

I feel it's never too late to make up lost ground, in the same way the PS3 certainly did, (although outselling the ps4 is unlikely). But I don't think there's much Microsoft could do to improve sales in regions that are traditionally "anti-Xbox".

maxcriden

I have no idea why that potshot was taken against me. I'm just a messenger, who actually did investigating, checked with multiple sources from within the industry, ranging from devs to journalists, PM'd two mods the info, was told by Nirolak it was ok to post, and I posted it as a rumor. If that makes me unverified, so be it. I'm just trying to create fun discussion with legitimate information, I'm a messenger, not an insider, and I'm not doing it for the fifteen minutes of fame. Maybe some mods hadn't seen that Nirolak was informed and assumed I was fake. It's not like I said I knew Miyamoto and had the NX spec sheet with me.

Ah, just saw this earlier post in the thread. You did some serious investigation and that's impressive and appreciated. I'm unsure if you saw my earlier post yesterday evening, (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200908644&postcount=2551), but I have no qualms about your own trustworthiness. It's the sources themselves I'm apprehensive about.

In Trev's case, AFAIK, the sources themselves were vetted. So, I had been wondering whether your sources were vetted by the mods here, i.e. a formal "verification" process, or if that did not take place and in this case this is more of a rumor per se (with unverified (by GAF mods) sources), rather than a leak as in Trev's case (with his sources being verified by mods). (Yeah, I know the title says rumor lol, I'm not meaning to be difficult here, truly.) I really just wanted to check my own understanding here as to which way I'm supposed to interpret the OP. From this post above that I missed previously, it seems it's more in the rumor camp than the leak camp, but if I'm mistaken about that and it's more proven or verified information, then I'd be glad to take it as such.

(I'll say once more my intention is by no means to be unappreciative or douchey, and my apologies if it comes off as such.)

Bert

What are you on about? Every magazine had features on console hardware. We didn't all sit around on the dark wondering what we were playing pre-1990 you know. I knew the relative powers at the time, just like I did for PS1 vs N64 and SNES vs MD and Amiga vs Atari.

E-Cat

why are we comparing the ps4 to a gen 9 platform?
It's curious that you referred to NX as a "gen 9 platform"; it hadn't occurred to me before.

When was the last time that we had such a short interval between two gens? Xbox --> Xbox 360?

Though the concept of a 'gen' seems to be dying, anyway.

Jebusman

Banned
This generation is the first time allot of people understand console relative power.

No.

Since the dawn of time there have been technical wars waged in the name of someone's console of choice.

There are also just as many people completely oblivious to any difference between them.

It's just the arguments are now a lot more public, because it's not buried deep in the bowels that is Usenet. But I don't agree they are more plentiful, unless you want to argue that due to sheer numbers of people who game now cause it to be, in which case the percentage of people who are informed/not informed are likely the same.

E-Cat

Back in the day, everyone knew it was Xbox > Gamecube > PS2 > Dreamcast

Not that it hindered PS2's success in any way.

geordiemp

What are you on about? Every magazine had features on console hardware. We didn't all sit around on the dark wondering what we were playing pre-1990 you know. I knew the relative powers at the time, just like I did for PS1 vs N64 and SNES vs MD and Amiga vs Atari.

I did not know the relative powers of those consoles at the time, and yes I was an avid gamer. Today people quote TFLOPS and numbers, its easy....back then I had no idea.

No.

Since the dawn of time there have been technical wars waged in the name of someone's console of choice.

It's just the arguments are now a lot more public, because it's not buried deep in the bowels that is Usenet. But I don't agree they are more plentiful, unless you want to argue that due to sheer numbers of people who game now cause it to be, in which case the percentage of people who are informed/not informed are likely the same.

We will just disagree, for me the defining moment was when COD Ghosts was pronounced at 720p on Xb1, and Sony marketed the Ps4 as the worlds most powerful console. I dont recall that in previous generations, ever. Maybe I did not notice, being younger and a bit nuts...

Jebusman

Banned
I did not know the relative powers of those consoles at the time, and yes I was an avid gamer. Today people quote TFLOPS and numbers, its easy....back then I had no idea.

So because you were ignorant to it, that's some definitive statement of "No one knew"?

Tons of people knew. You didn't.

I know people 10 times more dedicated to "gaming" than I ever was, who also couldn't quote specs on consoles. Being an "avid gamer" has nothing to do with it.

We will just disagree, for me the defining moment was when COD Ghosts was pronounced at 720p on Xb1, and Sony marketed the Ps4 as the worlds most powerful console. I dont recall that in previous generations, ever.

Here's the thing. For generations you couldn't really make that sort of statement, because every console was built on it's own custom shit that was in no way directly comparible to another console. This lead to games having certain styles as they all tried to play to the console's strengths. This is the first generation where both the leading consoles are effectively built on the same platform, and thus offer a more direct way to compare. Sony gets to say they're the most powerful console, because they literally can quote that their x86 processor is slightly faster than Microsoft's x86 processor, even if we don't know the specific specs.

E-Cat

It just means you were uninformed. Perhaps you started caring more about this stuff when you got older.

Also, before 'FLOPS' there were 'bits'. Though I must admit bits were more of a defining characteristic between generations. But there was definitely an understanding of a pecking order between the consoles, even if their relative strengths could not always be pinned down to a single number.

Banned
Ah, just saw this earlier post in the thread. You did some serious investigation and that's impressive and appreciated. I'm unsure if you saw my earlier post yesterday evening, (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200908644&postcount=2551), but I have no qualms about your own trustworthiness. It's the sources themselves I'm apprehensive about.

In Trev's case, AFAIK, the sources themselves were vetted. So, I had been wondering whether your sources were vetted by the mods here, i.e. a formal "verification" process, or if that did not take place and in this case this is more of a rumor per se (with unverified (by GAF mods) sources), rather than a leak as in Trev's case (with his sources being verified by mods). (Yeah, I know the title says rumor lol, I'm not meaning to be difficult here, truly.) I really just wanted to check my own understanding here as to which way I'm supposed to interpret the OP. From this post above that I missed previously, it seems it's more in the rumor camp than the leak camp, but if I'm mistaken about that and it's more proven or verified information, then I'd be glad to take it as such.

(I'll say once more my intention is by no means to be unappreciative or douchey, and my apologies if it comes off as such.)
The sources I provided were verified. I was told "the fact that nobody banned you should be proof positive that things were cool". The sources, although second hand, were verified.

Peterc

Lol, it has nothing to do with power, the games looks almost equal the same like the time megadrive/snes did.

It has everything to do with the right marketing. Sony does this allot better than MS.
ps4k is made to promote their 4k tv's and for VR, 3rd party devs don't want it.

maxcriden

The sources I provided were verified. I was told "the fact that nobody banned you should be proof positive that things were cool". The sources, although second hand, were verified.

Ah, excellent. That's awesome. All I wanted to make sure of since AFAIK that wasn't directly said until now. Thank you!

ozfunghi

lol the game was a 2-3 yr old port with a design gimmick centered on the 2nd screen controller from a lesser system by the time it got to the X1/Ps4.

yes it wasn't the greatest game in the world, but it was a pretty good launch game. Yet still did poorly.

So... "old port"is valid when a game gets ported FROM a Nintendo console? Interesting, because according to many, it isn't a valid argument when it gets ported TO a Nintendo console (let alone at full price obviously).

I do find it kind of unbelievable they will make a relatively big and power hungry box, as it would mark a huge shift in design philosophy.

How much power consumption would it take to be a PS4+ 3 years later? I doubt they can do it under 50 watt which is a lot for a Nintendo console.

Look at the revised (slim) versions of 360 and PS3 to give you an idea how much power can be reduced over +/- 3 years. It's quite a lot. And that is given the fact that the exact same hardware had to be used (Sony and MS couldn't just swap CPU's halfway through the gen), just at a smaller fabrication process. So Nintendo also has the option to use newer technology, regardless of the fabrication process.

However, i'm not sure if XBO/PS4 aren't on 28nm too. So in order to do better in that department, Nintendo would need to use 14nm and according to tech-guys here, that would only be a viable option in 2017. If they could get it done in 2016, i doubt what you are asking would be much of a problem.

Those should almost be in the OP, or at least a summary of them, they were helpful.
I suppose I could but LCGeek's post isn't anything new that hasn't been said in the OP (i.e. the NX is more powerful than the PS4) plus post itself is kind of negative. I have no idea the Thraktor said though.

I've argued the same thing before in this thread. It's credible info that further corroborates 10k's post. It should be added to the OP, which i honestly find lacking. Just don't forget to provide context to LCGeek's history, with prior CPU leaks.

Both big Thraktor posts should be linked to as well. One with an enormous list of CPU architectures and the reasoning why they are or are not fit for NX. And one with a best/worst case scenario concerning CPU, GPU and RAM, which i've linked to earlier in this thread.

MMM, thats a difficult one last gen, most powerful was almost a draw. And funnily enough, 360 and Ps3 were very close world wide...

360 ran most multiplat games better, especially stuff in unreal engine 3. Digital foundry had a rack of 360 winning titles, and 360 certainly gave ps3 a run for its money and established MS in the market place.

But on paper, if the cells SPE was used, Ps3 could pull the best visuals..but only Sony first party ever seemed to bother.

So even last gen I would say 360 power for multiplats helped it grow MS share over Sony considerably. Cerny was smart and learned from this, easy power for all multiplats is 1 important factor (as is online, X party chat, Social integration).

But the best selling console from that gen was the Wii. Which adds to the list of generations where the strongest didn't actually win that generation. I actually don't think that the strongest console has ever won a generation. Someone always comes along with a console that's more powerful.

geordiemp

For generations you couldn't really make that sort of statement, because every console was built on it's own custom shit that was in no way directly comparable to another console.

This is the first generation where both the leading consoles are effectively built on the same platform, and thus offer a more direct way to compare..

Ok, Now you are understanding my point, same architecture, Ps4 has 18 GCN, Xb1 12 GCN in their GPU's. Its so easy....Now we are agreeing lol.

But the best selling console from that gen was the Wii. Which adds to the list of generations where the strongest didn't actually win that generation. I actually don't think that the strongest console has ever won a generation. Someone always comes along with a console that's more powerful.

Yes there are other factors sure, Wii had motion controls, I was there day 1, I remember after a few months the Wii lost its dark magic Aura when I started to understand the waggle and it really was not motion control. It took a few years for Wii to die completely, then the fad died, and so did motion controls. I still fondly recall excite truck and RE4...good times.

geordiemp

So, what's your interest in the NX then?

I can tell you mine if that helps, I like console gaming, and play on the most capable console for multiplat games, dont care if its Nintendo, MS or Sony, and will eneter each MS, N or sony next console thread showing interest....But I am never playing at a desk with a mouse or mixing with that playerbase online.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Havent owned a Nintendo since the snes, Doesn't matter how powerful it is, I still dont wanna play Mario anymore or any other nintendo game.

Just curious--why did you feel like sharing this in a thread about a Nintendo system? Why even click the thread?

BY2K

Membero Americo
I can tell you mine if that helps, I like console gaming, and play on the most capable console for multiplat games, dont care if its Nintendo, MS or Sony, and will eneter each MS, N or sony next console thread showing interest....But I am never playing at a desk with a mouse or mixing with that playerbase online.

So your Number 1 criteria to buy a system is how well it runs third-party games? What about exclusives?

OCD Guy

I think for me personally Nintendo have shown that you don't necessarily need the most power to make the best games.

I had more fun playing Mario Kart 8 than any other racing game.

Don't get me wrong I do like powerful devices, and I certainly wouldn't say no to an even better looking Mario kart, but art style and direction goes a long way. I think the fact Nintendo don't generally go for photo realism goes a long way too on low powered devices.

I liken good graphics and gameplay to looks and personality. If someone is very attractive (graphics) it's great at the start, the looks keep you occupied, but personality (gameplay) is what will keep you going.

Also regardless of what some people think, I seriously doubt that Nintendos next console will be home to every multi platform game a la Xbox and PlayStation. I don't know why, and I'd love to be totally wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom