• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're not getting COD and FIFA again. If you don't remember they had those franchises on Wii U and that didn't help Nintendo or the publishers. No way that Nintendo is ever getting third party games like that again regardless of what they do.

Didn't they keep making fifa games on PS2 until 2010 or some shit because there was still a decent market for it and it was cheap and easy to do?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Opinions are awesome haha.

Sorry catching up in the thread.

I would be happy with that list but

DQ x wont be localized
DQ xi is so far away for the west. ..
FF vii and FF xv rumors are totally made up

So...only bg&e2 and pikmin 4 would be interesting games for Wii u owners

Just like TP HD basically. We'll see if Nintendo gets less lazy with NX stuff than twilight-days Wii U stuff.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. TPHD was outsourced.

A lot of signs point to a good chance, especially if Namco Bandai/Nintendo is still handling it. (the job listing for SSB5?)

I am willing to bet on a complete edition with at LEAST 1 exclusive character.

Sheroking

"They're not getting COD or FIFA again".

Those games are the easiest to get back on your system. EA and Activision take no risk by cheaply outsourcing a port, and their reward is potentially a new avenue for profit. Any publisher that develops games like an assembly line is going to be the easiest to bring aboard, at least until/if NX proves it's not worth the meager investment.

They're not getting COD and FIFA again. If you don't remember they had those franchises on Wii U and that didn't help Nintendo or the publishers. No way that Nintendo is ever getting third party games like that again regardless of what they do.

Hilarious. Of course NX will get ports of these franchises.

The only reason Wii U got no newer games of these was simply the fact that the newer engines just did not run on Wii U.

tr1p1ex

I had to send it in twice, but mine was the opposite. The first time, I sent in just the gamepad. A week later, it breaks again. Then I sent in both the gamepad and the console. Now it works. A console can have a controller like the gamepad, but it needs the ability to use a regular controller to use the basic functions of the console like access settings. Not having that almost puts a timer on the lifespan of the console when they stop doing repairs.

I imagine they asked for the console the 2nd time just in case because the repair didn't stick. My first repair lasted a year. The 2nd lasted 2 years. And now I'm a few months into my 3rd repair.

Not sure I follow why you need a regular controller to access settings. To get saved data or something for another console?

I'd settle for just having a reliable Gamepad.

IrishNinja

goddamn, that's...the major WU titles i slept on & didnt pick up yet (smash, mario maker, splatoon). if they add mario kart, i'll officially be better off just waiting!

of course, i do need to see more on the actual hardware before saying this, lest they all be Twilight Princess ports that make me wish id've played em on original hardware instead...

I'd be more surprised if we don't get CoD this year. A new system, particularly a stronger one could sell a decent amount. Nintendo needs to step up their online features and make sure the ports are equal to their competitors in content.

Anyway, for some reason I can see us getting new content for Smash NX. I could see the dlc characters being bundled up in NX for free(or at a discount), but a few more dlc characters released, as well as the same dlc characters on 3DS and Wii U version so owners don't feel left out. No comment on characters like Ice climbers though on 3DS..

Sheroking

Hilarious. Of course NX will get Ports if these franchises.

The only reason Wii U got no newer games of these was simply the fact that the newer engines just did not run on Wii U.

Well... Wii U did get ports from Ubisoft and Activision, but never did with EA, which was unusual as EA found more success on Wii than any other third party.

EA and Nintendo had some kind of falling out that led to EA pulling support for the system between E3 2011 and E3 2012. FIFA and Madden never really had a chance to fail on Wii U for that reason - not because engines were unsupported.

It was probable that once cross-gen support died, the Wii U would also stop receiving any ports. Wii U's underperformance killed those ports before that could happen.

tr1p1ex

Hilarious. Of course NX will get Ports of these franchises.

I'm sure they will get some ports in the launch if the system is capable of running X1/Ps4 games. But those ports have to sell and make a large enough profit for them to continue.

tr1p1ex

Well... Wii U did get ports from Ubisoft and Activision, but never did with EA, which was unusual as EA found more success on Wii than any other third party.

EA and Nintendo had some kind of falling out that led to EA pulling support for the system between E3 2011 and E3 2012. FIFA and Madden never really had a chance to fail on Wii U for that reason - not because engines were unsupported.

EA brought Mass Effect, FIFA 13 and Madden 13 to the Wii U.

But those games didn't sell and the console wasn't selling either so they dropped support for the Wii U.

I don't think EA did that well on the Wii.

Banned
@10K I'm wondering about the handheld part.
A whilo ago, they told us that they sent out the devkits with one potable device:

http://gamerant.com/nintendo-nx-dev-kits-132/
(One of the many many links out there)

Did you ask the same question to them?
Meaning that they say "for now there is no handheld yet"
Nobody I have spoken too knows anything about the handheld or hasn't talked about it. Doesn't mean it's not out there. For all we know Nintendo can announce both or the gimmick is the handheld is an expensive controller you take on the go :p

They didn't do more because those games didn't sell and because the console wasn't selling either.

One of the big things that was dumb about Mass Effect was that it's a series that hinges heavily on the decisions and ramifications from previous games, and how everything that a player has done carries over from game to game, and despite the franchise being completely new to Nintendo players and the PS3 and 360 getting a complete Trilogy edition of all three games, they decided to just release the third game by itself for $60 almost a year after everyone else had played it already. Just mind-boggling.

antonz

Square will port both FF games to as many systems they can.

Pretty much need to. I mean they are aiming for 10 million FFXV sales. The last Non MMO FF barely sold like 7.3 million and in general Final Fantasy has been on the decline. Only way growth is going to happen is with more potential devices to sell on

tr1p1ex

One of the big things that was dumb about Mass Effect was that it's a series that hinges heavily on the decisions and ramifications from previous games, and how everything that a player has done carries over from game to game, and despite the franchise being completely new to Nintendo players and the PS3 and 360 getting a complete Trilogy edition of all three games, they decided to just release the third game for $60 almost a year after everyone else had played it already. Just mind-boggling.

Yep that's the story of alot of the 3rd party support on the Wii U. too little too late for too much money.

But some like Activision brought same day releases to the Wii U and still ...fail. Their audience wasn't on that console. And CoD on the Wii U was a great port. Same day release. Fully featured for the most part. Maybe missing DLC. The problem was their audience was already on the 360/PS3 and the much more powerful PS4/X1 were just around the corner. No way they were getting a Wii U for that game.

Ubisoft brought an exclusive new ip game to the Wii U for launch. IT was decent and yet it failed.

Menitta

I imagine they asked for the console the 2nd time just in case because the repair didn't stick. My first repair lasted a year. The 2nd lasted 2 years. And now I'm a few months into my 3rd repair.

Not sure I follow why you need a regular controller to access settings. To get saved data or something for another console?

I'd settle for just having a reliable Gamepad.

The only way to access settings on the Wii U is through the gamepad. When the gamepad breaks, you lose the ability to access save data, transfer data between consoles, and Internet connections. If I could use a pro controller, then the gamepad breaking is a much less severe issue.

They need to be great ports as well, because otherwise people won't care.

Even on Wii U Black Ops 2 sold enough to easily cover production costs. But the newer COD games were technically more demanding and a port was to complicated. Even PS360 only got a very bad dumbed port in last minute.

Despite rumored Nintendo/EA disagreements, EA stated that reason no newer Madden/FIFA games are on Wii U was only the fact that the newer engines did not run on Wii U.

Banned
Don't forget that Reddit list is mostly confirmed or leaked games. But EPD Tokyo is on schedule for a holiday 2016 release (3D Mario), and same with Retro Studios project. I'm hearing the NX launch is going to be great and match the first year of Wii in exclusives, but be more spread out.

Malus

Don't forget that Reddit list is mostly confirmed or leaked games. But EPD Tokyo is on schedule for a holiday 2016 release (3D Mario), and same with Retro Studios project. I'm hearing the NX launch is going to be great and match the first year of Wii in exclusives, but be more spread out.

There are some things that just can't be topped.

hqdefault.jpg

tr1p1ex

The only way to access settings on the Wii U is through the gamepad. When the gamepad breaks, you lose the ability to access save data, transfer data between consoles, and Internet connections. If I could use a pro controller, then the gamepad breaking is a much less severe issue.

Well don't you lose the ability to play games if your GAmepad goes kaput? What good is the saved data or changing internet connections etc if you can't play the games?

Peru

I like Pikmin, loyal fans like Pikmin, but it's not a killer app. I was surprised at 4 being in development to be honest.

Ubisoft brought an exclusive new ip game to the Wii U for launch. IT was decent and yet it failed.

ZombiU "failed" because Ubisoft had way to high expectations for sales, especially for a game with 70% reviews. Seems the game did "fail" much more on PS4/XOne after it got ported with much lower sales on these consoles.

One of the big things that was dumb about Mass Effect was that it's a series that hinges heavily on the decisions and ramifications from previous games, and how everything that a player has done carries over from game to game, and despite the franchise being completely new to Nintendo players and the PS3 and 360 getting a complete Trilogy edition of all three games, they decided to just release the third game by itself for $60 almost a year after everyone else had played it already. Just mind-boggling.

EA really dropped the ball on that. I lost respect for them for not having Trilogy. ugh.

I'm going to add this to the OP.

I choose not to be excited until its official. I still enjoyed the Wii U despite its underwhelming graphical performance.

I hope for a good revival for Nintendo at least.

Instro

Mentioned it earlier regarding the Wii's first year, if they can replicate that kind release schedule it would be pretty impressive.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

final fantasies are not confirmed at all.

Dont. He already said to not take all his posts as leaks or anything

tr1p1ex

Even on Wii U Black Ops 2 sold enough to easily cover production costs. But the newer COD games were technically more demanding and a port was to complicated. Even PS360 only got a very bad dumbed port in last minute.

Despite rumored Nintendo/EA disagreements, EA stated that reason no newer Madden/FIFA games are on Wii U was only the fact that the newer engines did not run on Wii U.

Nah. EA had Madden working on the Wii U. And they still make Madden for the 360/PS3. They simply didn't after Madden 13 because the console didn't sell and neither did the game.

Same thing for Activision and CoD.

Schnozberry

But those games didn't sell and the console wasn't selling either so they dropped support for the Wii U.

I don't think EA did that well on the Wii.

Mass Effect didn't sell for a number of obvious reasons. The foremost being that the entire trilogy was available for $30 less on other consoles. EA Sports moved to an engine they couldn't get running on Wii U.

It was no secret that EA abandoned Wii U early on because they found it difficult to program for and underpowered.

Banned
This isn't leaked info from me. It's just assuming the three year dev cycles that Nintendo AAA studios usually take. 3D Mario and Mario Kart come out every three years like clockwork.

3D Mario

Galaxy - 2007
Galaxy 2 - 2010
3D World - 2013
NX game - 2016 ?

Mario Kart
DS - 2005
Wii - 2008
7 - 2011
8 - 2014
9 - 2017?

Retro Studios
Prime - 2002
Prime 2 - 2004
Prime 3 - 2007
DKCR - 2010
DKCTF - 2014 (game was finished November 2013 but pushed to February 2014 because of 3D World release date being a week later than the scheduled TF release date)

So Retro's game will likely be November 2016-March 2017 window.

This isn't leaked info from me. It's just assuming the three year dev cycles that Nintendo AAA studios usually take. 3D Mario and Mario Kart come out every three years like clockwork.

3D Mario

Galaxy - 2007
Galaxy 2 - 2010
3D World - 2013
NX game - 2016 ?

Mario Kart
DS - 2005
Wii - 2008
7 - 2011
8 - 2014
9 - 2017?

Retro Studios
Prime - 2002
Prime 2 - 2004
Prime 3 - 2007
DKCR - 2010
DKCTF - 2014 (game was finished November 2013 but pushed to February 2014 because of 3D World release date being a week later than the scheduled TF release date)

So Retro's game will likely be November 2016-March 2017 window.
Oh. Sounded like you were hearing more things.

Banned
final fantasies are not confirmed at all.

Dont. He already said to not take all his posts as leaks or anything
Not officially no. Two people have told me and one legit website has posted it, that it's coming to NX and PC. But as usual, grain of salt and such.

tr1p1ex

ZombiU "failed" because Ubisoft had way to high expectations for sales, especially for a game with 70% reviews. Seems the game did "fail" much more on PS4/XOne after it got ported with much lower sales on these consoles.

lol the game was a 2-3 yr old port with a design gimmick centered on the 2nd screen controller from a lesser system by the time it got to the X1/Ps4.

yes it wasn't the greatest game in the world, but it was a pretty good launch game. Yet still did poorly.

Banned
Oh. Sounded like you were hearing more things.
I have heard more things, that wasn't one of them.

I've heard stuff on the gpu side, but it's only from one dev and want to get more then one person to confirm. I sent the info to bish cause it's very vague, and I won't post anything unless I hear more.

Yeah. It's about time for a new 3D Mario just by going from dev cycle.
Watch it be New Super Mario Bros 3. :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Not officially no. Two people have told me and one legit website has posted it, that it's coming to NX and PC. But as usual, grain of salt and such.

Are you talking about vii or xv?
Never heard about vii from any reliable source.
Btw I gave just tried to separate your OP rumors from these opinions

I wouldn't doubt something like Super Mario 3D World 2. I just don't see them doing anything "crazy" like Sunshine again.

Same goes for IS and Paper Mario.But this topic is for another discussion.

OT: Can't wait to hear some potential news on the 27th.

I wouldn't doubt something like Super Mario 3D World 2. I just don't see them doing anything "crazy" like Sunshine again.

Same goes for IS and Paper Mario.But this topic is for another discussion.

OT: Can't wait to hear some potential news on the 27th.

Decent chance it will be another Galaxy if Miyamoto was genuine in saying he'd like to revisit that game.

antonz

lol the game was a 2-3 yr old port with a design gimmick centered on the 2nd screen controller from a lesser system by the time it got to the X1/Ps4.

yes it wasn't the greatest game in the world, but it was a pretty good launch game. Yet still did poorly.

ZombiU was absolutely destroyed in Major reviews. It wasn't fast enough, it wasn't Call of Duty enough.

Nanashrew

Banned
I have heard more things, that wasn't one of them.

I've heard stuff on the gpu side, but it's only from one dev and want to get more then one person to confirm. I sent the info to bish cause it's very vague, and I won't post anything unless I hear more.

I'm still okay with the New series, but they really do need to spruce it up a lot. The art style could be so much better. Also I feel they really do need a grand 3D Mario adventure at launch to really gain a lot of mind share besides just Zelda. They need to really bring it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom