• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

btrboyev

Who is Trev? Interestingly enough according to Kagari FF7 is partially funded by Sony and shouldn't come to other consoles. Who knows with Square tho.

If Nintendo manages to have a good KH3 trailer at reveal event or E3 I promise to buy NX.

It's not being funded by Sony. Sony may have offered at one point and probably made a $$ deal for first dibs at it, but the game is coming out on Microsofts console as well at some point.

Peru

I am hoping this rumor is complete crap. If it's true, they're making the exact same mistake they made with the Wii U.

- Push out a box midway through the console generation, whose power is roughly on par with the existing boxes.
- Price it $300+++ (accessories, let's be honest, jack the price up to 400-500)
- Have a smattering of third party games.. which are pointless because most people by that point who have any interest in console gaming already have a PS4/Xbox One, and are more than happy to continue buying games for that ecosystem

Nobody is paying that much to play only Nintendo developed/exclusive games. Nobody.

The Wii U came later vs 360 PS3 than the NX vs XBO PS4 and as such was lagging farther behind in power.

We don't know price yet - I doubt this will come packed in with an expensive tablet controller anyway.

Nintendo made a huge mistake with the Wii U at launch, I'm sure partly because they were slow to transfer to HD development but also because they wanted to let 3rd parties shine, and so they let third parties 'shine' for the launch window. The result: A mediocre Nintendo offering with a big bunch of 3rd party ports that didn't make any impact.

I'm sure, unlike some posters in this thread, Nintendo learned something from that, which is that they have to think of what they can offer independently of western 3rd parties and look at them as a bonus. So they will have better 1st party games and they will have more games in general because the console and handheld divisions are now united.

In other words 0/3 of your points seem to come true. Well it could still be 300$+ but in that case the money would go towards a less confused "deal" than the Wii U's basic pack.

I hope the inevitable Zelda NX version looks this clean

Zelda-wii-u-link-720.jpg

Luigiv

Who is Trev? Interestingly enough according to Kagari FF7 is partially funded by Sony and shouldn't come to other consoles. Who knows with Square tho.

If Nintendo manages to have a good KH3 trailer at reveal event or E3 I promise to buy NX.

A man who was assassinated by Nintendo's ninjas. In all seriousness he was the guy who leaked NoA's Wii U and 3DS marketing budgets and through them confirmed Zelda was getting ported to NX.

That said, his FFXV and FFVIIR rumour came from a completely different source to the marketing leak and even he cautioned that whilst the source had been correct in the past, they weren't 100% infallible and should be taken with a grain of salt. So right now we can consider the games to be rumour but not 100% certain.

I would link to the original post, but it looks like he took them down, along with his Nintendo leak when the ninjas got to him.

Also for what it's worth I don't think anyone at SE or Sony actually said Sony was helping to fund FFVIIR, I think that's just an assumption. Realistically, I'd expect Sony's contribution to be relatively small (maybe a marketing deal). Big enough to secure timed exclusivity but not enough to receive any ownership to the title, which is pretty much how Sony's been promoting the game in their own coy way (calling it an "exclusive debut"). So I don't think that invalidates the possibility.

Rhuidan

Neo Member
The Wii U came later vs 360 PS3 than the NX vs XBO PS4 and as such was lagging farther behind in power.

The problem with this statement is that you have the generations wrong;
Wii x ps3 x xbox 360
Wii u x xboxone x ps4
Nx x ps4.5 x Microsoft?

Nintendo is generally first of the generation by a year or so and don't care about the arms race in power.

If it is "noticeably more powerful" than current systems like the rumor says, how do you manage to translate that as "roughly on par" with current systems?
When was the last time anything Nintendo put out was noticeably more powerful than what was on the market? N64? And btw I remember WiiU rumors saying almost exactly the same thing we are speculating. Sure it was technically more powerful than PS3/x360 but that didn't matter long.

I think the poster you quoted is a bit too pessimistic but I am very skeptical of Nintendo in the console space. They are like Apple where they have a premium for there hardware and software, it's very high quality, but unlike Apple don't have the legions of 3rd party support and are behind in online functionality. I mean that image up top of all the possible games is exciting if you are a diehard Nintendo fan, but I'm already going to get FF7 on Ps4, likely first, and Dragon Quest etc...and y know, a plethora of other 3rd party support. What's the incentive to buy another machine to play 3rd party games on? In short there isn't one, so I'm looking into Nintendo for the exclusives. But do I want to halfway through the gen buy a $400 Nintendo console to play the latest Marion and Zelda and it may possible not be B/c with Wiiu and Wii? That's a tough pill.

Long story short, every gen it's always the same thing from Nintendo. They are aware of the lack of third party support and it's going to be awesome this time. And that time never comes. I get the hardcore who adore the company, they make fantastic software. But I also get the apprehension. Nintendo has a lot to prove, hard to get hyped when I've seen these things not work out for 2 gens in a row now.

I am hoping this rumor is complete crap. If it's true, they're making the exact same mistake they made with the Wii U.

- Push out a box midway through the console generation, whose power is roughly on par with the existing boxes.
- Have a smattering of third party games.. which are pointless because most people by that point who have any interest in console gaming already have a PS4/Xbox One, and are more than happy to continue buying games for that ecosystem

Nobody is paying that much to play only Nintendo developed/exclusive games. Nobody.

This is my fear as well...

All of this has happened before, and will happen again.

MK_768

When was the last time anything Nintendo put out was noticeably more powerful than what was on the market? N64? And btw I remember WiiU rumors saying almost exactly the same thing we are speculating. Sure it was technically more powerful than PS3/x360 but that didn't matter long.

True but if rumors/reports are true, Nintendo docked the Wii U's power right before release.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm quite sure Nintendo is enjoying reading this thread. And I say that because it's impossible that, right after the plethora of Spongebob-themed posts while waiting for 10k's post in the other thread, concidentially there's a Spongebob-themed Splatfest for Splatoon.
They're here, gentlemen. The ninjas are here. /s

MK_768

The ignorance is real.

correojon

Why was your first reaction to the image to check it's file format?

On topic: I'm not against a more powerful console... but I can't help but think it's not going to help them... Nintendo did awesome with the Wii not just because of it's gimmick, but because of it's price. The Wii at launch was $250 in a world of $400 to $600 consoles. This put it at the perfect price for "secondary console" territory. The Wii U's problem is that the tech was expensive at launch, and hasn't really come down at all in price. This black friday we're going to be seeing PS4's selling for practically the same price as the Wii U currently is, and the tech is just plain inferior.

If Nintendo is going to push more power... it needs to keep the price down... It should be aiming to be the PS4 owner's second system... it has to make them question "Is it worth getting the PS4K when I own a PS4 already? Or should I buy the NX for it's exclusives and higher quality (HOPEFULLY) 3rd parties and keep the old PS4 for exclusives". The best way to do that is to keep the price WELL below the PS4K.
This guy gets it.

Nintendo needs to aim for a secondary console spot, entering a head-on war with X1 and PS4 is a really tough war to win. Unlike Sony & MS studios, Nintendo doesn´t need huge power to make really impressive games, so let them fight each other in that front and seduce people with unique experiences at an affordable entry price.

Note that a secondary console could turn out to be the biggest seller of the generation, just like happened with the Wii.

LordRaptor

Nintendo is generally first of the generation by a year or so and don't care about the arms race in power.

N64 came after PS1 and was a power increase, GC came after PS2 and was a power increase, Wii came after X360 and was a 'don't care about power', WiiU came before PS4 and X1 and was a 'dont care about power'.

Its very hard to read a "generally nintendo does ____ and cares about ____" from history beyond 'the very last thing they released'.

PC, same as SFV.

I mean, I don't know shit personally but that's pretty much what she implied.

It might come to PC later. But then again, when they announced Street Fighter V, they did say immediately that it's console exclusive on PS4 in addition to a PC Version.

The problem is, their semantic is usually to call it a "console exclusive". They did that for World of Final Fantasy or for SFV. As it's coming to PC but not other consoles.

I'm no fan of Nintendo and their attitude to launching underpowered consoles but I will admit one thing, the software guys at Nintendo HQ will squeeze more out of PS4 levels of performance than any other software devs on the planet.

Of course the relatively simplistic art style of Nintendo franchises helps them enormously in disguising power shortcomings, but PS4 levels of power should give them, for the first time in a decade, the opportunity to deliver a significant step up in visual fidelity if they wanted to.

zelas

Their current fanbase, Wii U and handheld owners will. I'm not convinced they're actually committed to expanding further than that. Especially with how they're dropping the ball with Miitomo.

Donnie

So much wrong with this post man.

WiiU was released right at the end of the generation, 7 years after 360/PS3 and 1 year before PS4/XBox1.

If rumours are correct NX will be released 3 years after PS4/Xbx1, that puts it in a very different position to WiiU,, especially if its noticeably more powerful.

Also why even mention accessory prices? As if PS4 or Xbox1 don't require accessories..

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
N64 came after PS1 and was a power increase, GC came after PS2 and was a power increase, Wii came after X360 and was a 'don't care about power', WiiU came before PS4 and X1 and was a 'dont care about power'.

Its very hard to read a "generally nintendo does ____ and cares about ____" from history beyond 'the very last thing they released'.

I think the Wii U was them caring about power tho.

Just because Sony and MS went so far above last gen doesnt mean Nintendo didnt care about power with the Wii U. The specs Nintendo chose + the specs MS, Sony chose just makes thing look really lopsided with specs.

I honestly didnt expect the specs of the PS4, XBO to be what they were....I was expecting something similar to Wii U.

I think only the Wii and them not caring about power fits.

Peterc

Just because Sony and MS went so far above last gen doesnt mean Nintendo didnt care about power with the Wii U. The specs Nintendo chose + the specs MS, Sony chose just makes thing look really lopsided with specs.

I honestly didnt expect the specs of the PS4, XBO to be what they were....I was expecting something similar to Wii U.

They tought HD gaming was enough

Hilarion

I was under the impression that FFVIIR was a timed exclusive like SE did with Rise of the Tomb Raider last year. It said "Play it first on Playstation," not "console exclusive."

Regiruler

What would you be interested in if I may ask?

New IPs and series we haven't seen in a while. And sequels instead of "remasters". I want Splatoon 2, not Splatoon 1.05.

I've already bought so much crap, I don't want to get an NX at launch if the only games available are simply opportunities to rebuy that crap. Similarly, instead of struggling with porting over Splatoon, just integrate whatever new stuff was planned into the already released game, and put whatever isn't possible on Wii U on the board for the sequel.

Now ports from other systems I'm not averse to, it's just that I am not interested in Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. I do want NieR Automata and Overwatch on the system, in particular.

Their current fanbase, Wii U and handheld owners will. I'm not convinced they're actually committed to expanding further than that. Especially with how they're dropping the ball with Miitomo.
They're are company.

Everything they do is committed to increase their income / generate (more) money, therefore: you're assumption is objectively wrong.

Miitomos main goal is to generate My Nintendo accounts, but it has it's flaws nevertheless.

N64 was a power increase b/c it came out almost two years after PS1/Saturn and was a product of Moore's Law (same w/ SNES/SFC). GC was the same way. In all cases they never directly "aimed" for being the most powerful; it was simply due to circumstance and timing of release, and benefiting from natural tech gains in that time window.

What's interesting to note to disprove those who say Nintendo is about hardware power, is to point out the fact that if they were REALLY for power, the SNES, N64 and GC would've been quite more powerful than they actually ended up being, as those were not cutting-edge systems (in the grand scheme of things factoring in PC and arcade) for their day even in regards to trying to keep the price low. Otherwise they'd of been a little more powerful and a bit more expensive (and likely bring in no immediate profit from hardware sales to Nintendo).

Hell, the OG Xbox was technically more powerful than Gamecube and released at the exact same time with a more PC-like architecture, further proving the point.

Regiruler

I'm no fan of Nintendo and their attitude to launching underpowered consoles but I will admit one thing, the software guys at Nintendo HQ will squeeze more out of PS4 levels of performance than any other software devs on the planet.

Of course the relatively simplistic art style of Nintendo franchises helps them enormously in disguising power shortcomings, but PS4 levels of power should give them, for the first time in a decade, the opportunity to deliver a significant step up in visual fidelity if they wanted to.
Except the Wii to Wii U jump was as big or bigger than a theoretical jump from Wii U to PS4 (using PS3 as a rough baseline for Wii U). Also, given that all their engines are surely built for PowerPC, if the rumor of x86 was true, the jump would be greatly mitigated temporarily by having to build new architecture.

The PS4 and Xbox are universally considered a let down in specs. They were underpowered when they came out. What gave you any indication that they would be closer to what the WiiU was than what we got? I can't find anything in what you said that jives with what just about everyone was assuming (aside from maybe RAM).

thefro

This guy gets it.

Nintendo needs to aim for a secondary console spot, entering a head-on war with X1 and PS4 is a really tough war to win. Unlike Sony & MS studios, Nintendo doesn´t need huge power to make really impressive games, so let them fight each other in that front and seduce people with unique experiences at an affordable entry price.

Note that a secondary console could turn out to be the biggest seller of the generation, just like happened with the Wii.

They're going to struggle with building a sustainable ecosystem for third parties without targeting core gamers. A cheap Nintendo Ouya wouldn't have a very high attach rate for core third party games.

Keep in mind they always have their cake and eat it too with the NX if there's a cheaper machine that comes out down the road (i.e. a Vita TV version of the NX portable) to specifically sell to the people that would want to buy a $100-150 machine.

They don't have to "beat" Sony or Microsoft this gen, just carve out market share and grow a sustainable ecosystem for third parties and build from there.

MK_768

New IPs and series we haven't seen in a while. And sequels instead of "remasters". I want Splatoon 2, not Splatoon 1.05.

I've already bought so much crap, I don't want to get an NX at launch if the only games available are simply opportunities to rebuy that crap. Similarly, instead of struggling with porting over Splatoon, just integrate whatever new stuff was planned into the already released game, and put whatever isn't possible on Wii U on the board for the sequel.

Now ports from other systems I'm not averse to, it's just that I am not interested in Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. I do want NieR Automata and Overwatch on the system, in particular.

Of course you want sequels, but the ports don't mean they aren't coming. The port of Splatoon isn't keeping Splatoon 2 from being released at launch...Splatoon 2 was never gonna be a launch title imo.

Also, and I get your complaint because I dont want to rebuy the same game, but we aren't the target. We shouldn't complain about Nintendo wanting to bring in more gamers with these ports which is the point of them. Plus, they'll have launch titles for the NX and not just ports of old games.

The_Lump

Banned

Huh? Miitomo made $40k a day so far. If that's dropping the ball then I'm lost.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I just hope we get a proper Virtual Console on NX.

Seeing how VC on Wii U turned out, I wouldn't get my hopes up. But really there shouldn't have to be another VC. It should've been one VC across all platforms.

It could've really been something spectacular if that were the case. But starting over from scratch because we have a new console renders it a waste for me.

Daft Punk

Banned

You must have not seen what Naughty Dog is doing with UC4, Guerrilla Games is doing with Horizon, or what Quantic Dreams is doing with Detroit. Nintendo isn't known for actual ridiculous graphical showcases like those games will be. Where they exceed is great art design and managing to get their games to run very well. Expecting Nintendo to jump above the aforementioned studios just because the NX will have a little more power than the PS4 is crazy.

Regiruler

Of course you want sequels, but the ports don't mean they aren't coming. The port of Splatoon isn't keeping Splatoon 2 from being released at launch...Splatoon 2 was never gonna be a launch title imo.

Also, and I get your complaint because I dont want to rebuy the same game, but we aren't the target. We shouldn't complain about Nintendo wanting to bring in more gamers with these ports which is the point of them. Plus, they'll have launch titles for the NX and not just ports of old games.

I never said Splatoon 2 was going to be at launch, I'm just saying a port would be a complete waste of everyone's time.

The PS4 and Xbox are universally considered a let down in specs. .

I'm sorry, I remember the reaction to the PS4 unveiling and nowhere could you find web sites reporting it as a 'let down'.

In fact, people were positively raving about the 8GB of GDDR5 and the GPU specs, the only slight downplaying of the spec reveal was the AMD Jaguar CPU, which wasn't considered that important at the time because of the promise of shifting over more of the heavy lifting to the GPU from the CPU.

It's not really Sony's fault that the majority of developers haven't been capable of learning new ways with the available tech.

Turrican3

Expecting Nintendo to jump above the aforementioned studios just because the NX will have a little more power than the PS4 is crazy.
It's a moot point anyway considering that, unless they're suddenly changing their attitude of the last 10+ years or so, most of NX first party games will probably target 60fps so it would be even harder (I'd say almost impossible) to reach Uncharted-like graphical levels.

The Wii U came out a year before ps4/xb1 launched. Hardly a midway release. The system was a generational spike over the Wii, which was a generation behind ps3/360 to begin with. They would have to basically do a quantum leap for the Wii U to have rivaled the ps4/xb1 technically, but they chose to devote some of those resources to the gamepad tech, which ultimately didn't pay off as they hoped. By the time NX releases in the next year, it will be mid-cycle and if rumors are true, sufficiently more powerful enough to carry it until the ps5/xbox two launches. And we don't know what form those systems will take given the developments we're seeing on the console side this gen.

LordRaptor

N64 was a power increase b/c it came out almost two years after PS1/Saturn and was a product of Moore's Law (same w/ SNES/SFC). GC was the same way. In all cases they never directly "aimed" for being the most powerful; it was simply due to circumstance and timing of release, and benefiting from natural tech gains in that time window.

My point wasn't Nintendo generally are / aren't more / less powerful than the competition, it's more that there is no such thing as a "Nintendo generally are_____".
They're hard to anticipate because they don't have hard and fast rules about what they do and don't do, what tech excites them to prioritise, or where they feel putting their manufacturing budgets will pay off best for them

e: I mean, I suspect they probably will release something more powerful than the PS4 / Xb1, if only because it means even half-assed non-optimised third party support will be viable

diaspora

I'm sorry, I remember the reaction to the PS4 unveiling and nowhere could you find web sites reporting it as a 'let down'.

In fact, people were positively raving about the 8GB of GDDR5 and the GPU specs, the only slight downplaying of the spec reveal was the AMD Jaguar CPU, which wasn't considered that important at the time because of the promise of shifting over more of the heavy lifting to the GPU from the CPU.

It's not really Sony's fault that the majority of developers haven't been capable of learning new ways with the available tech.

Available console tech is dogshit. People were excited about the memory, but everything else was... not great.

You must have not seen what Naughty Dog is doing with UC4, Guerrilla Games is doing with Horizon, or what Quantic Dreams is doing with Detroit. Nintendo isn't known for actual ridiculous graphical showcases like those games will be. Where they exceed is great art design and managing to get their games to run very well. Expecting Nintendo to jump above the aforementioned studios just because the NX will have a little more power than the PS4 is crazy.

I bet you none of those guys could have come up with Mario Galaxy to the same standard with the available power of the WiiU.

Like I said, I'm no big fan of Nintendo, but it knows how to extract every last drop of performance out of weak hardware like no one else.

MK_768

I never said Splatoon 2 was going to be at launch, I'm just saying a port would be a complete waste of everyone's time.

No, I know. My point was that in the grand scheme of things the ports aren't a big deal.

And it's not a complete waste of everyone's time. It is for people like you and me who already have it. Won't be for those gamers who didn't get it on Wii U, cause they skipped Wii U, but get it for NX. That's the point of the port.

This power blabla is getting annoying, mainly due to:

- PCs are back in the game and those are the high-end-gaming machines

- Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft are probably going to prevent bleeding money on hardware again

- Visual jumps are "getting smaller" (this is also subjective of course)

- Everything getting streamlined due to high production costs (multi-platform-games)

Graphics are great, but I don't see this as the main selling point in the near future anymore.

Edit: Or maybe I'm wrong, because people are going to discuss graphics forever anyway. :p

Points above are still somewhat valid.

It's just the ultra hardcore, like neogaf, that actually care. And it's only really for epeen and console wars purposes. People that actually care about power and games generally running to their liking already own gaming grade PCs

You should probably take off the rose tinted glasses. Just ask epic or capcom or ea or Ubisoft or many others etc what they thought of having to remove Svogi from their highly touted engine, downgrade their demos, pretend that they are running on console with controller prompts or even fake UIs but are really on high end PCs or even just outright lie

maxcriden

Power is not just about graphics.
Good hardware can get you better ai, more enemies on screen, larger maps, and even improve loading.:d

I see your point, but I always wonder if I'm in the minority of majority of gamers in thinking I can barely tell a significant difference from HD gaming onward, and that gaming from PS2/GCN onward was plenty good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom