• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK_768

I'm very curious how amiibo will evolve with NX. I have no clue what they could do with it outside of actually making a game centered on them but I'm interested.

This isn't leaked info from me. It's just assuming the three year dev cycles that Nintendo AAA studios usually take. 3D Mario and Mario Kart come out every three years like clockwork.

3D Mario

Galaxy - 2007
Galaxy 2 - 2010
3D World - 2013
NX game - 2016 ?

Mario Kart
DS - 2005
Wii - 2008
7 - 2011
8 - 2014
9 - 2017?

Retro Studios
Prime - 2002
Prime 2 - 2004
Prime 3 - 2007
DKCR - 2010
DKCTF - 2014 (game was finished November 2013 but pushed to February 2014 because of 3D World release date being a week later than the scheduled TF release date)

So Retro's game will likely be November 2016-March 2017 window.
Yeah, not sure if they were making a new Mario game for Wii U and moved it, but we should at least see Mario and RETRO's new game at e3/by the end of the year.

The PS4 wasn't unveiled at E3, it had its own reveal show in February 2013.

All you need to do is pull up some articles at the time of the reveal and see the reaction, it was nothing like what is being described in this thread.

Nothing like it whatsoever.

I was referring to the reaction of the hardware specs being revealed in Feb 2013, nothing to do with E3.

Some people in here are trying to portray the unveiling as a disappointment, and how everyone was crying 'underpowered' when it wasn't, far from it.

Reaction to the hardware itself was overwhelmingly positive.

Again outside of gaming press which hype everything for clicks and the diehards that love the brand regardless there wasn't much from the hardware reveal that gave any indication this would be anything but a let down from a power perspective. I mean really. The RAM was a pleasant surprise. The rest was meh at best. Crap CPU and an pedestrian GPU. There's nothing about the PS4 and Xbox that scream high end. It might point to the forums we each go to but I very clearly remember plenty of disappointment at what they settled on with the new systems. What I believe you're remembering is that joy of getting new-ish tech after being stuck with the PS3 and 360 for way too long. Any improvement in that regard would have been greeted with enthusiasm. Combine that with the excitement from Sony fans that the PS4 was a fair bit more powerful than the Xbox and you have the scenario you are describing. Make no mistake though: the PS4 was underpowered when it was announced. It's more so now. New systems are needed.

Balb

Again outside of gaming press which hype everything for clicks and the diehards that love the brand regardless there wasn't much from the hardware reveal that gave any indication this would be anything but a let down from a power perspective. I mean really. The RAM was a pleasant surprise. The rest was meh at best. Crap CPU and an pedestrian GPU. There's nothing about the PS4 and Xbox that scream high end. It might point to the forums we each go to but I very clearly remember plenty of disappointment at what they settled on with the new systems. What I believe you're remembering is that joy of getting new-ish tech after being stuck with the PS3 and 360 for way too long. Any improvement in that regard would have been greeted with enthusiasm. Combine that with the excitement from Sony fans that the PS4 was a fair bit more powerful than the Xbox and you have the scenario you are describing. Make no mistake though: the PS4 was underpowered when it was announced. It's more so now. New systems are needed.

The PS4 reveal conference had people who had no idea what RAM was before turning 8 GB GDDR5 RAM into a meme (in a positive way).

Hermii

I remember a lot of people buying Sony PR about "supercharged PC architecture", "Removing technical limitations", "8gb gddr5", "time to triangle" and so on.

maxcriden

If they price at $349 then it has to offer more than what PS4/XB1 can do (in hardware, os features and great launch library including 3rd party games of this holiday) as PS4/XB1 will reach $299 price point if there is a hardware revision (with free games) by holiday ($249 in black friday). $100 difference is really big one and they need to show big difference to attract gamers to choose them over PS4/XB1 or (PS4.5/XB1.5 $399).

I agree. Weren't at least one of PS4/XBO available for $250 this past holiday season? Nintendo may have a tough time pricing above $300. Even that is kinda pushing the impulse buy territory their systems have traditionally done best at. GCN was $200, Wii was $250. 3DS and Wii U's high price points did not help them. It's a tough call though because NX potentially needs to be competitive (in what it offers) with other systems vying for gamers' attention, and available at an attractive price point.

Yeah, not sure if they were making a new Mario game for Wii U and moved it, but we should at least see Mario and RETRO's new game at e3/by the end of the year.

By see by the end of the year, do you mean release by then? That'd be amazing but assuming you meant just unveil. I hope for at least one of those to release this year, though.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The PS4 reveal conference had people who had no idea what RAM was before turning 8 GB GDDR5 RAM into a meme (in a positive way).
That x86 was a beast.

Malakai

Sure, they may have had not been powerful, but to make something "powerful" without lossing billions and billions of dollars would require consoles to cost $500 to $600. The mainstream gamer is not going to bite at that price point. Furthermore, the Xbox 360 and PS3 was ridiculous jump in tech historically speaking for console period.

Some people in the PS4K thread think that an hypotetical PS4K could handle native 4K gaming.
And lot of people thought PS4 could deliver a wonderful VR experience

All this talk about power and graphics might be missing a big point here-

We have it on pretty good authority that the NX CPU is a decent step ahead of PS4, and (unless I missed some more updates) we have the rumors in the OP that the GPU and RAM should be above PS4 specs, but those don't seem to be as clear cut rumors as LCGeeks CPU discussion in the last thread.

So right now we "know" that the CPU is noticeably improved over current consoles, and potentially even higher than the PS4k if they decide not to upgrade the CPU. This leads me to believe that third party devs aren't too insistent about increased CPU performance for consoles, but Nintendo wants a better CPU for other reasons.

That ties into my theory of the "gimmick" or hook for the NX, which I think will be some form of head or eye tracking, and I've seen some other Gaffers share the same thoughts. Nintendo has some patent applications about eye tracking, and the new 3ds is their newest hardware, and it includes a form of eye tracking. My thoughts on how this can work:

The controller (doesn't need a screen, but may have one) has an upwards facing wide angle camera which is designed to track the user's eyes, and the controller has gyros/magnetometers/etc. which work with the console to determine the user's position with respect to the TV. Then sensors attached to the TV (like the Wii sensor bar) detect the size and position of the TV relative to the console, such that, with the data sensed by the controller camera, the console can effectively calculate exactly where on the screen the user is looking.

This would open up a very intuitive and very unique control method for Nintendo, and from what I can tell it does not use any terribly expensive technology. The Wii U gamepad has a camera in it already, and we all know that it's price was more a function of it having a screen and the proprietary streaming tech.

But what this would require is a decent chunk of CPU power to constantly monitor and calculate the user's eye position, which could explain the NX focus on greater CPU power. Any tech people know if this type of control method is feasible?

Also first Gaf post, yay!

ozfunghi

There is a $299 sweet spot for the console this holiday. If the console really is slightly more powerful than PS4 and the software/ecosystem is there, that price point offers a solid value, even though the PS and Xbone libraries will remain larger.

Nintendo may have to take a slight loss on hardware. They've done it before (Gamecube and Wii U at least) despite common misconception. They could also shave off like $30 if they drop the optical drive.

14nm yields for larger chip remains to be seen. It would be a very surprising move for them to release a console the size of a PS4 or Xbone, which 28nm would pretty much guarantee.

About that... (third time i bring this up, nobody ever responds lol). How likely is it they are waiting to release the handheld in order to go 14nm, in order to get performance closer to the console performance while maintaining or increasing battery life?

How much longer would they need to wait in order for 14nm to be viable? Completely out of the question for holidays 2016? Or is there a reason why it might be possible for the handheld, but not the home console? As why it is available in smartphones already?

Some people in the PS4K thread think that an hypotetical PS4K could handle native 4K gaming.
And lot of people thought PS4 could deliver a wonderful VR experience

PS4K could handle native 4K gaming with the rumored specs. The games would have to basically have simplified lighting and be PS3/360+ in terms of model and world detail which would actually still look relatively nice. It could not handle PS4's typical AAA visual fidelity,

PS4 can deliver good VR experiences but the graphics are basically reduced to PS4- in terms of visual detail and lighting. PS4K would be able to handle PS4 visual fidelity in PSVR.

Ogodei

I know what you mean, but at the same time I have put in over 210 hours into NSMB (inc Luigi download). The others in my top 5, time-wise, are 150 hours in Splatoon, 110 hours in MK8, 100 hours into Nintendoland (really!), 70 hours into SM3DW.

How do you get these totals on Wii U? I remember that unlike 3DS, their playtime monitoring only goes month to month and wouldn't give me all-time totals. Of course, last time i checked was so many updates ago, anything could have changed.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I feel like Nintendo is way more likely to fail with an overpowered box than an underpowered one.

Without a doubt, pricing plays into that.
Nintendo entering the market with a box priced at 399 or higher will probably not go over well despite what many would like to believe.

How do you get these totals on Wii U? I remember that unlike 3DS, their playtime monitoring only goes month to month and wouldn't give me all-time totals. Of course, last time i checked was so many updates ago, anything could have changed.

Tap a game icon at any point while viewing that app and you'll see the number of times/hours you've played the game in total.

Regiruler

1. Because it helps the NX sell and that is good. I don't know about you but I dont want the NX to turn up dead after 3 years like Wii U.

2. Nintendo should care because they know how to run a business lol. Wii U was toxic. People didn't want to buy it after a couple years so of course they weren't going to pay for an overpriced system for Splatoon or whatever. NX is a fresh start.
1. I can't say I particularly care about salew. It's too dependant on the ignorant masses. If I had my way I would have continued the lifespan of the Wii U for another year.

2. Having these games at launch doesn't make the games better or the system better.

Regiruler

I think the idea is that people will buy the system to play other brand-new must-have NX games, and buy Splatoon/Smash/etc. as secondary software purchases.

That's fair, but I haven't heard anything about these new must-have games, hence my lack of interest.

I'm sure they exist, but we don't know enough.

georly

1. I can't say I particularly care about salew. It's too dependant on the ignorant masses. If I had my way I would have continued the lifespan of the Wii U for another year.

2. Having these games at launch doesn't make the games better or the system better.

Sales are important to nintendo, though. If they're doing poorly, their games aren't selling as well, and therefore aren't making as much money back (if any money back). The less money they make on games, the less money they can put toward future games.

That's why sales are important to me, because it correlates directly to future output from nintendo. Considering nintendo is home to nearly half of my favorite franchises, it behooves me for nintendo to do well so I see more output from them.

That's fair, but I haven't heard anything about these new must-have games, hence my lack of interest.

I'm sure they exist, but we don't know enough.

tbh, no one should be interested in buying NX yet. It hasn't been announced and we don't even really "know" anything about its library.

shanafan

I don't get that mentality. I know I didn't go into the PS4K thread to brag about how i'm not getting one. Whatever makes them feel better about themselves, I guess.

That's the sad state of internet at times. People feel it is their duty to let other people know that they do not like what they like.

tbh, no one should be interested in buying NX yet. It hasn't been announced and we don't even really "know" anything about its library.

I definitely have to disagree with this. And I'm applying this to any other console manufacturer before we knew what games they would have.

I definitely have to disagree with this. And I'm applying this to any other console manufacturer before we knew what games they would have.

It is literally impossible to make an informed decision about whether you're interested in purchasing it.

Are you disagreeing with this?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Less than two weeks now until Nintendo's FY 2015 Fiscal Year Earnings Release/News conference on April 27. And briefing the day after most likely.

We still have Friday left, but these rumors of an NX related event by the end of the month being announced mid-April appear less credible. But we'll see what happens.

Finally, I've been trying to find out the venue of Nintendo's FY 2015 Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing. The venue for Nintendo's FY 2015 Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing was known at least 12 days before the event, though the venue initially reported, Hotel New Otani Tokyo, was later changed. The now banned NDP_Mulcair shared this back then (on January 20, 2016)

nj4xnh1.png

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192748181&postcount=404

On April 7, I asked both Takashi Mochizuki (WSJ) and Dr. Serkan Toto if they had heard anything of a venue for the briefing (or news conference). Dr. Toto replied with "Not yet, I don't think it has been fixed yet.".

Nintendo's news conferences (separate from the financial results briefings) in conjunction with earnings releases are usually held at the Osaka Stock Exchange. The financial results briefings do not appear to be in a fixed location.

We are getting close to these events, so has anyone gained any further information on this matter? Public resources of Nikeei and Reuters didn't provide me any more knowledge.

Neo_Geo

Banned

The excitement should really be held at bay since it is a very likely possibility that a good bit of the library will be full priced Wii U ports that would basically be a slap in the face to anyone that bought the Wii U. Hopefully that won't be the case and some sort of bone will be thrown out to those that supported Nintendo through a rough gen.

Azoo

Neo Member
If every rumor 10k posted comes true, then I think confirming a 3D Mario and that Retro Studios project in the oven + a lot of third party support (that's not garbage ports or gimmick laden stuff like ZombiU) is all this thing will need to do great.

A beefy console with most titles shared on PS4 and X1 plus the new Zelda would sell. Big time. I can feel it in me bones.

It is literally impossible to make an informed decision about whether you're interested in purchasing it.

Are you disagreeing with this?

I'm strictly talking about games. I'm buying a PS4 for Uncharted 4. I was going to buy a PS4 when it was first announced for Uncharted 4 without even knowing what the system was all about.

I feel like if you love Sony, MS or Nintendo IP's there's nothing wrong with saying you want to buy a system because you know your favorite IP's will be there.

It would be a shame if current ps4 was more powerful than a device that's coming out almost 4 years later. Maybe the ps4k will be more powerful than the nx.

I'm strictly talking about games. I'm buying a PS4 for Uncharted 4. I was going to buy a PS4 when it was first announced for Uncharted 4 without even knowing what the system was all about.

Uncharted 4 is a defined reason to buy a PS4.

No such reasons exist for NX.

I feel like if you love Sony, MS or Nintendo IP's there's nothing wrong with saying you want to buy a system because you know your favorite IP's will be there.

Strictly speaking you don't really know any of your favorite IPs will be there since there isn't a single announced game for the platform and almost every Nintendo IP (literally the only exception I can think of is Zelda, since 3D and 2D Mario have both been MIA at various points) has skipped at least one platform.

Sure, they may have had not been powerful, but to make something "powerful" without lossing billions and billions of dollars would require consoles to cost $500 to $600. The mainstream gamer is not going to bite at that price point. Furthermore, the Xbox 360 and PS3 was ridiculous jump in tech historically speaking for console period.

Oh I know and I'm not disagreeing with what MS and Sony did to be honest. They decided to go the route they went and it's what it is. I just take issue with people that try to paint the views on the PS4 as some sort of powerhouse of a system while the reality of the situation was quite different. It's what it is though and I'm anxious to see what MS and Sony announce at E3, if anything.

Azoo

Neo Member

No such reasons exist for NX.

Zelda.

You may say "but the Wii U version will exist too!", but there are loads of people who never bothered buying a Wii U and only considered it for if/when the new Zelda came along. Much like TP with the GCN vs Wii sales, NX sales for that game are probably going to far outnumber the U sales.

Also, we don't know any other games yet. I'm sure they have stuff up their sleeve.

I wonder when we will get real, solid leaks.

All we've had so far are fluffy, non-story rumors. More powerful than a PS4? Well, duh, and that's fairly meaningless. Anything juicier (x86) is completely non-committal and couched in caveats (maybe, possibly, sorta, kinda).

The ports stuff is interesting, for sure, but I'm more interested in the hardware and what the unique "hook" is for it.

MK_768

Strictly speaking you don't really know any of your favorite IPs will be there since there isn't a single announced game for the platform and almost every Nintendo IP (literally the only exception I can think of is Zelda, since 3D and 2D Mario have both been MIA at various points) has skipped at least one platform.

Yeah but we "know" Mario and Zelda are gonna be there lol.

papo

No such reasons exist for NX..

Are you for real? Did you even look at you avatar?

A Zelda game at launch is a much better reason to buy an NX that Uncharted 4 I'd say, but well Uncharted has grown bigger than Zelda in the past years. I still it's better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom