• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meesh

3D Mario is my favorite series of all time. I love every single one of them (Sunshine to a lesser extent lol) and I know 3D Mario will be there. I'm buying an NX for that alone.
Mine is Zelda, yes it's gonna be on WiiU but I'm picking up NX specifically for that. Irrational, maybe, but there it is.

Also if there's an NX Monster Hunter, which hopefully happens, would be a welcome bonus.

Uncharted 4 is a defined reason to buy a PS4.

No such reasons exist for NX.

Strictly speaking you don't really know any of your favorite IPs will be there since there isn't a single announced game for the platform and almost every Nintendo IP (literally the only exception I can think of is Zelda, since 3D and 2D Mario have both been MIA at various points) has skipped at least one platform.

Uncharted might be a defined reason for you but it isn't for me.

In terms of my taste I by far prefer Mario platformers and Zelda games.

Ad0ve

Banned
Why are people being dense about Zelda and Mario on NX? It doesn't matter jackshit if they have been officially announced or not, everyone knows their coming

Azoo

Neo Member
Hasn't been announced for NX. I don't doubt it exists at this point, but it's not a reason to buy an NX until it's a reason to buy an NX.

If we're gonna play that game, then there's no reason to get excited for NX if we're not going to believe anything 10k has posted until completely proven. :v

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Super Mario 3D World 2 would be a major hype killer for me and I'm sure I'm not alone. So it matters what kind of 3D Mario we get.

2D Mario skipped N64 and GameCube.

Metroid skipped N64 and 3DS/Wii U, even after the runaway success of Prime.

F-Zero skipped DS, Wii, 3DS, and Wii U.

There are no guarantees that any particular franchise will show up until it's announced.

I know Federation Force is a spin-off, but by your argument Metroid skipped DS as well...

Super Mario 3D World 2 would be a major hype killer for me and I'm sure I'm not alone.

This is another consideration.

Just because an IP is technically there doesn't mean you know you want to buy it before you've seen it.

Again, I said "informed purchasing decision," not "hope and faith."

I know Federation Force is a spin-off, but by your argument Metroid skipped DS as well...

Ha, fair enough. I forgot about Hunters tbh.

You don't know if Uncharted 4 will release either. It could be canceled or put on indefinite hold. You just don't know.

It could be canceled or put on indefinite hold. But right now you have evidence to the contrary. You don't have that for 3D Mario.

All this talk about power and graphics might be missing a big point here-

We have it on pretty good authority that the NX CPU is a decent step ahead of PS4, and (unless I missed some more updates) we have the rumors in the OP that the GPU and RAM should be above PS4 specs, but those don't seem to be as clear cut rumors as LCGeeks CPU discussion in the last thread.

So right now we "know" that the CPU is noticeably improved over current consoles, and potentially even higher than the PS4k if they decide not to upgrade the CPU. This leads me to believe that third party devs aren't too insistent about increased CPU performance for consoles, but Nintendo wants a better CPU for other reasons.

That ties into my theory of the "gimmick" or hook for the NX, which I think will be some form of head or eye tracking, and I've seen some other Gaffers share the same thoughts. Nintendo has some patent applications about eye tracking, and the new 3ds is their newest hardware, and it includes a form of eye tracking. My thoughts on how this can work:

The controller (doesn't need a screen, but may have one) has an upwards facing wide angle camera which is designed to track the user's eyes, and the controller has gyros/magnetometers/etc. which work with the console to determine the user's position with respect to the TV. Then sensors attached to the TV (like the Wii sensor bar) detect the size and position of the TV relative to the console, such that, with the data sensed by the controller camera, the console can effectively calculate exactly where on the screen the user is looking.

This would open up a very intuitive and very unique control method for Nintendo, and from what I can tell it does not use any terribly expensive technology. The Wii U gamepad has a camera in it already, and we all know that it's price was more a function of it having a screen and the proprietary streaming tech.

But what this would require is a decent chunk of CPU power to constantly monitor and calculate the user's eye position, which could explain the NX focus on greater CPU power. Any tech people know if this type of control method is feasible?

Also first Gaf post, yay!

Is a separate CPU better solution in that case? Do we know how many cores NX's CPU will have?

Welcome!

NateDrake

2D Mario skipped N64 and GameCube.

Metroid skipped N64 and 3DS/Wii U, even after the runaway success of Prime.

F-Zero skipped DS, Wii, 3DS, and Wii U.

There are no guarantees that any particular franchise will show up until it's announced.
Runway success of Prime? Maybe on a critical level, but not when it came to sales.

MK_768

Just because an IP is technically there doesn't mean you know you want to buy it before you've seen it.

It does for me lmfao. I'm sorry but you sorta sound like you are trying to talk about how everyone should feel. For me, I "know" Mario is gonna be there so I'm getting NX anyways.

I get the argument that we shouldn't buy a console for a game that we don't know is coming. Sorta like Metroid. I have seen people say they got Wii U for Metroid but they are pissed because Wii U isn't getting a Metroid game. However, when we are talking about Zelda and Mario...you know NX is getting it. Mario Kart is a shoe-in too.

Is a separate CPU better solution in that case? Do we know how many cores NX's CPU will have?

Welcome!

Thanks!

All we know (and we really don't KNOW this, it's just rumored from credible sources) based on LCGeek's posts in the last thread is that the NX CPU is something like NX>>>>X1>>PS4>>>>>>>>>>>WiiU.

So some amount of >'s better!

No idea if a separate CPU would be better, though I'd assume they could set aside some amount of cores. I'm not really a tech guy though, so I'm sure others would know more.

Runway success of Prime? Maybe on a critical level, but not when it came to sales.

You don't think doubling the previous game's sales on a platform that sold about half as well as the one that game released on is an incredible success?

It does for me lmfao. I'm sorry but you sorta sound like you are trying to talk about how everyone should feel. For me, I "know" Mario is gonna be there so I'm getting NX anyways.

I get the argument that we shouldn't buy a console for a game that we don't know is coming. Sorta like Metroid. I have seen people say they got Wii U for Metroid but they are pissed because Wii U isn't getting a Metroid game. However, when we are talking about Zelda and Mario...you know NX is getting it. Mario Kart is a shoe-in too.

Nintendo didn't release a brand-new 2D Mario game* for almost 15 years, despite that franchise being their bread and butter.

It's been almost six years since Super Mario Galaxy 2 and we still have people saying the 3D _____ games aren't real 3D Mario games.

There are literally no guarantees that "the Mario game you want" is gonna be there. And so there is literally no way to make an informed purchasing decision with the information we currently have about NX.

Yes, I do think that's how everyone "should" make purchasing decisions.

* I'm not counting Yoshi's Island since its trajectory is not the same as 2D Mario's.

AniHawk

Because traditional generations is a dying concept. More frequent incremental hardware upgrades is the future.

The NX will compete with the PS4, PS4k, Xb1, XB1.5.

specifically, i think gen 9 is going to be defined be iterative hardware. microsoft might call the xbox 1 revision something completely different or simply launch a much more powerful platform in 2017. it could render sony as the only company doing the 'half-step' in marketing. in which case, the ps4k, new xbox, and nx would all be part of a ninth, and final, generation where iterative hardware is the defining feature among all platforms.

going forward it might be impossible to define generations again unless they all try and match one another with some other feature, be it vr or holograms or some other futuristic-sounding stuff. i'd be more comfortable slotting in 3ds, vita, ps4, xb1, and wii u into one group, and nx console, nx handheld, ps5, and new xbox into another. and if you go from the entry of the first two platforms to the first new platform, it would be five years. it's sort of similar to the dreamcast kicking things off in gen 6 a couple years before its other contemporaries (and not lasting the whole way through either).

maxcriden

Strictly speaking you don't really know any of your favorite IPs will be there since there isn't a single announced game for the platform and almost every Nintendo IP (literally the only exception I can think of is Zelda, since 3D and 2D Mario have both been MIA at various points) has skipped at least one platform.

C'mon, Lex, I enjoy your posts quite a bit but I think you're taking a bit of a silly stance here. We know NX will get a Mario game (when has 3D Mario been MIA since its inception?). We know Splatoon, SSB, Zelda, Pikmin, MK all are going to come to the system in some form or another. It seems pointless to debate to a Nintendo fan (i.e. someone who is a significant fan of more than one of their major franchises) with the position that NX might not get an entry in at least one if not several of their favorite franchises.

This too. I never understand why people point to Metroid as one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. According to this list, by my count it's #14 or so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises. As an IP it's sold less than Spyro.

By see by the end of the year, do you mean release by then? That'd be amazing but assuming you meant just unveil. I hope for at least one of those to release this year, though.
I meant see as in see a trailer/gameplay.
Nintendo revealing the NX with Zelda promised for launch and a Metroid
or whatever Retro is doing that will probably be less interesting than that
and a new Mario to release eventually could get fans pretty pumped, I feel

AdanVC

I simply cannot wait till Star Fox Zero is out. That game literally opens the "next era" of Nintendo since pretty much after it's release date, the next investors meeting will be held wich could be the real deal with Nintendo finally talking about NX for once. Plus E3 on the horizon and Nintendo usually releases a silly video announcing their plans for it and all that jazz.

Azoo

Neo Member
There's no guarantee any game you want is gonna be on this thing, guys. At all. For all we know, NX launches with Bean Can Opener Simulator with a free demo of Pikmin 4, except Pikmin 4 is now a playable cutscene starring Miyamoto moving Olimar with puppet wiring.

I don't know man, at least it's not what we were expecting. We don't know, after all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But really, I don't see what the point is to trying to tell everyone "we don't know anything, don't expect or express want for anything". What's the point when this whole thread is basically a room where we're dreaming about the possible outcome of verified rumors? I mean I get being realistic, but still. Guessing 3D Mario and new Zelda is gonna appear shouldn't be considered a big stretch.

I mean I get being realistic, but still. Guessing 3D Mario and new Zelda is gonna appear shouldn't be considered a big stretch.

Wouldn't even call it a stretch.

Personally, I want a new "AAA" new action/adventure IP from Nintendo in the vein of Zelda/Metroid... now that's a big stretch!

maxcriden

I meant see as in see a trailer/gameplay.
Nintendo revealing the NX with Zelda promised for launch and a Metroid
or whatever Retro is doing that will probably be less interesting than that
and a new Mario to release eventually could get fans pretty pumped, I feel

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I totally agree. I imagine beyond Zelda we'll likely see at least one NX exclusive FP game at launch, if it does launch at the end of this year. I figure how many of those we get this year depends on how many ports and third party games are at launch/released by the end of this year, though.

MK_768

Nintendo didn't release a brand-new 2D Mario game for almost 15 years, despite that franchise being their bread and butter.

It's been almost six years since Super Mario Galaxy 2 and we still have people saying the 3D _____ games aren't real 3D Mario games.

There are literally no guarantees that "the Mario game you want" is gonna be there. And so there is literally no way to make an informed purchasing decision with the information we currently have about NX.

Yes, I do think that's how everyone "should" make purchasing decisions.

Well first off you shouldn't speak for everyone lol. Simply cause I know Mario is gonna be on NX and that's enough. I dont care if it's 2D or 3D.

You missed my point when I said Mario will be there. So your Mario 2D argument is pointless since I didn't specify. As for 3D Mario...3D world is a 3D Mario. I never specified by saying a 3D World like game or a Galaxy like game. Now if people were to expect that...then sure they are a bit foolish. But you are foolish for thinking that we can't assume Mario is gonna be here.

C'mon, Lex, I enjoy your posts quite a bit but I think you're taking a bit of a silly stance here. We know NX will get a Mario game (when has 3D Mario been MIA since its inception?).

Nintendo made two 3D Mario games designed to bridge the gap between 2D and 3D Mario in the last five years.

Neither of them really succeeded at the mission of growing the appeal of 3D Mario.

While neither of them were Other M-style disasters, this isn't a niche franchise that mostly appeals to hardcore players; it's Nintendo's most important brand. I think there might be a serious question about whether 3D Mario sees a Metroid-like hiatus while Nintendo tries to figure out where to take the series next.

And, frankly, I see the revitalization of the 2D Mario brand being a bigger priority for Nintendo since the business opportunities are clearly bigger there, as NSMBDS and Wii proved (NSMBWii drove the best-ever quarter for game consoles in the middle of a recession). You can kind of see Super Mario Maker as a way of trying to reconnect people with that brand.

We know Splatoon, SSB, Zelda, Pikmin, MK all are going to come to the system in some form or another. It seems pointless to debate to a Nintendo fan (i.e. someone who is a significant fan of more than one of their major franchises) with the position that NX might not get an entry in at least one if not several of their favorite franchises.

It's not just about there being no solid guarantees about which games will appear.

It's about there being no solid guarantees about the form those games take being one that those Nintendo fans will actually want to buy, especially when those franchises have a history of ups and downs based on people having varying levels of acceptance for the form they're taking.

Sure, some Nintendo fans may buy stuff regardless just because of the IP. But you're not going to see me endorse that either.

Well first off you shouldn't speak for everyone lol.

That's fair, but I'm not going to say that there's enough information for anyone to make an informed purchasing decision, and I'm not going to say I think the fact that you think there's enough information is something I'd encourage, either.

Nintendo made two 3D Mario games designed to bridge the gap between 2D and 3D Mario in the last five years.

Neither of them really succeeded at the mission of growing the appeal of 3D Mario.

While neither of them were Other M-style disasters, this isn't a niche franchise that mostly appeals to hardcore players; it's Nintendo's most important brand. I think there might be a serious question about whether 3D Mario sees a Metroid-like hiatus while Nintendo tries to figure out where to take the series next.

And, frankly, I see the revitalization of the 2D Mario brand being a bigger priority for Nintendo since the business opportunities are clearly bigger there, as NSMBDS and Wii proved (NSMBWii drove the best-ever quarter for game consoles in the middle of a recession). You can kind of see Super Mario Maker as a way of trying to reconnect people with that brand.

It's not just about there being no solid guarantees about which games will appear.

It's about there being no solid guarantees about the form those games take being one that those Nintendo fans will actually want to buy.

Sure, some Nintendo fans may buy stuff regardless just because of the IP. But you're not going to see me endorse that either.

Miyamoto just did an interview saying he would like to see a Super Mario Galaxy 3. I can't believe you just said 3D Mario might go on a hiatus lol...

I was thinking, should they make deals with publishers to cut licensing fees for those that jump in early?
Right now, licensing fees are like $10+ per $60 game?
Charging just 50% or less for a big publisher like Ubi or EA to support their systems could result in bigger profits and could make the ports make more financial sense especially while the system needs to prove itself.
If they make the system cross platform play compatible with better ports than ps4 (and their new form of achievements) it could convince consumers to buy on there and publishers to feel better about investing in the platform

Depends how you define "runaway success." Metroid Prime is the best selling game in the series on what was Nintendo's worst performing console at the time and was the 6th best selling 1st party game on the Cube. And perhaps most important to this discussion, outsold Super Metroid 2:1 in overall sales, despite again being on a system with far fewer consoles than the SNES

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
To be fair, we haven't had a full overworld since 2007, enormous environments in a 3D Mario game since 2010, constant camera control since 2010, or the ability to run without a run button since 2010 either. Additionally, we haven't had a non-linear 3D Mario since 2002! Sometime after Galaxy 2 Nintendo decided to "New"-ify the series, and it only hurt it. Sure Galaxy was linear, but it was still 3D Mario and had some large areas and original concepts every time. Then 3D Land happened and it became like NSMB.

Kurt

Again, I said "informed purchasing decision," not "hope and faith."

It could be canceled or put on indefinite hold. But right now you have evidence to the contrary. You don't have that for 3D Mario.

It's like you say that you buy unchart..4 without knowing for sure that the game fits you. How do you know if you'll find the game any good? How do you know that there will be a mario game on the nx (lol)

You make no sense at all. Every nintendo console had a mario game. And yes they already confirmed this multiple times for the next gen system...

Darryl

Banned
After 3D World, a lot of Nintendo developers made comments about 3D Mario. It's being hinted at in the same ways that most Mario/Zelda games are hinted at prior to announcement. I was expecting it to come last year.

Instro

The first Prime is one of the top selling GC titles at ~3 million, and Fusion was also very successful. Blame Nintendo for squandering Metroid's potential for further growth, like they have with many of their other franchises.

Ansatz

You actually don't know this.

I agree that the possibility of 3D Mario not making launch shouldn't be ignored but Nintendo's dev cycles and history say otherwise. I think they want to repeat having a 3D Mario in NX' first holiday season (i.e. launch) as with 3D Land on 3DS.

I think the idea is that people will buy the system to play other brand-new must-have NX games, and buy Splatoon/Smash/etc. as secondary software purchases.

Exactly. It needs a few brand new system sellers at launch (Zelda, Mario, Pikmin, Nintendo Land 2) but porting Wii U's big online/community based games is the ideal way to fill out the launch library. I think alot of people still actively play those games and would like to continue gameplay on the new system. It's much more effective than having the likes of Steel Diver and Game & Wario as filler, who would pay full price for that type of game nowadays.

3D Mario is my favorite series of all time. I love every single one of them (Sunshine to a lesser extent lol) and I know 3D Mario will be there. I'm buying an NX for that alone.
We don't know shit about the NX, man. Yes, odds are in favor of us getting a Mario game on NX but I wouldn't be so quick to assure we will definitely get a new 3D Mario.

For all we know the NX might bomb hard and all we get is a 2D Mario and never got a 3D one.

Hold your horses until at least Nintendo mentions anything official about the NX other than the name "NX".

Kurt

We don't know shit about the NX, man. Yes, odds are in favor of us getting a Mario game on NX but I wouldn't be so quick to assure we will definitely get a new 3D Mario.

For all we know the NX might bomb hard and all we get is a 2D Mario and never got a 3D one.

Hold your horses until at least Nintendo mentions anything official about the NX other than the name "NX".

Ok but nintendo already said that a new 3d mario is in development for nx.

I agree that the possibility of 3D Mario not making launch shouldn't be ignored but Nintendo's dev cycles and history say otherwise. I think they want to repeat having a 3D Mario in NX' first holiday season (i.e. launch) as with 3D Land on 3DS.

Exactly. It needs a few brand new system sellers at launch (Zelda, Mario, Pikmin, Nintendo Land 2) but porting Wii U's big online/community based games is the ideal way to fill out the launch library. I think alot of people still actively play those games and would like to continue gameplay on the new system. It's much more effective than having the likes of Steel Diver and Game & Wario as filler.
Why? Since they introduced the 2D New Super Maro Bros series on DS and Wii they've consistently outsold the 3D Mario counterparts in their consoles and by wide margins.

Sales tell me it's more important to have a 2D Mario for launch than a 3D one.

Are you for real? Did you even look at you avatar?

A Zelda game at launch is a much better reason to buy an NX that Uncharted 4 I'd say, but well Uncharted has grown bigger than Zelda in the past years. I still it's better

This is completely subjective and depends on the tastes of the consumer. Zelda obviously has more nostalgia on its side but let's not kid ourselves: Uncharted has been the more relevant/influential game to the industry for a while now, and Dark Souls pretty much has become Zelda for "grown-ups" (not to dip toes into the redundancy of the "Nintendo is for kids" trope, but the trope itself does exist. Whether it's correct or not is another issue altogether although personally I don't think it's strictly true).

For myself, a Zelda game is a not enough a factor in picking up an NX. A 3D Mario would go a long way to pulling me, though, as would a 3rd-person Metroid with the quality of Super Metroid and the Prime games. A sequel to F-Zero GX would, as well.

So we know Zelda will be there Day 1, but NX needs one of those other aforementioned games in its first year to make me sit up and have faith in the 1st-party/exclusives output for the platform. It'll show me where their commitment is in terms of diversifying the library, which hopefully is closer to what came on SNES, N64 and Gamecube vs. Wii and Wii U (I'm just talking generally here; both of those systems have their great games but the 1st party on both doesn't cover the range of genres their previous exclusives did over the long-term).

Otherwise exclusives-wise it's tough to beat a combination of Dreams, SFV, UC4, Horizon, Last Guardian, Gran Turismo Sport, Detroit, R&C etc.

Miyamoto just did an interview saying he would like to see a Super Mario Galaxy 3. I can't believe you just said 3D Mario might go on a hiatus lol...

Nintendo is incredibly preoccupied with how 3D Mario isn't as accessible as 2D Mario. It's been almost 20 years of anxiety at this point, so depending on how satisfied they were with Super Mario 3D World (they seem to have been encouraged by 3D Land, but who knows?), I could see them not placing a huge priority on 3D Mario for now in an effort to recapture lapsed players (with better 2D Mario games) and grow the audience (which is something NX explicitly needs to do).

Miyamoto, 2003:

[Super Mario Sunshine] is an authentic sequel to Super Mario 64. I regret this somewhat — not because of the quality of Super Mario Sunshine, but rather because this Mario game may not attract players who are returning to gaming after some time.

[...]

One thing that has hurt the Mario games…Taking them into 3D, while it has expanded the worlds, has shrunk the user base. By going into 3D, the games have become more complicated. Before that, the Mario games were the type of thing that anybody could pick up and play very easily. By going into the 3D world, we have limited who that game is accessible to. After Super Mario 64, making a game that those 3D Mario fans can enjoy further requires shrinking the audience even more because you need to go more in depth.

The Register, 2003, interviewing Satoru Iwata (I won't bold this because the entire thing should be bolded tbh):

Iwata blamed falling games sales on overly complex titles that are too tough for newcomers and casual gamers. They’re also bad for the business, [Iwata] added – gamers can spend months playing them, and while they’re doing so, they’re not buying other titles. Those who find they can’t win get so fed up with the experience, they don’t feel inclined to buy an alternative title.

Satoru Iwata, 2010:

As we see it, one reason why a number of people who love 2D Mario do not want to play 3D Mario appears to be because they are afraid to be lost in the 3D world by not knowing the exact directions, while they feel that they can play with 2D Mario with no such issues. One of the development themes of the original Super Mario Galaxy was to create a 3D world where people may not be easily lost, and the spherical shape was adopted as the game play theme for this reason. However, when we look at the Japanese sales, I do not think that we were able to effectively tackle this challenge with the original.

Edge 2012 interview with Koichi Hayashida (original link is broken, sorry):

“We made 3D Land standing on the shoulders of every Mario game that came before it,” says Hayashida. While it was built around a brand new technology, it’s steeped in a long tradition, and strives to reach at least as broad an audience as any of the Marios before it. It sets a clear standard for the games that follow, too, presenting a novelty that doesn’t diminish accessibility.” said Hayashida.

Miyamoto, 2013

What we tried to do with Super Mario 3D Land, was try to create a Mario game that was set in a 3D world that fell somewhere between the openness of the Galaxy games and the sidescrolling of the new Super Mario Bros. games to create a 3D Mario game that a wider array of people could play. And we felt that, with Super Mario 3D Land, we managed to achieve that. So, what we wanted to do was extend that broader appealing 3D Mario game to Wii U in a way that allow more people to experience it. That’s what we chose for Super Mario 3D World this time. But we still have, obviously, the Galaxy series, and there’s a possibility that in the future we may look to explore what else we can do with the Galaxy series. For us, it was really about trying to find the right 3D Mario space in which we’re going to allow the widest audience to play.

I don't know for sure where they intend to take Mario on NX, and while I certainly hope it includes 3D Mario, I'm not going to assume that until I've seen it.

If you're a fan of both, then obviously it won't matter which one they're making. But just speaking generally, no one really knows if Nintendo's going to make the games they want to play until Nintendo makes those games.

NateDrake

Depends how you define "runaway success." Metroid Prime is the best selling game in the series on what was Nintendo's worst performing console at the time and was the 6th best selling 1st party game on the Cube. And perhaps most important to this discussion, outsold Super Metroid 2:1 in overall sales, despite again being on a system with far fewer consoles than the SNES
Had the Prime trilogy maintained those sales figures, sure. But Prime 2 did half of Prime and Prime 3 was roughly the same as Prime 2. One strong entry doesn't make the Prime series a runaway success.

Uncharted 4 is a defined reason to buy a PS4.

No such reasons exist for NX.

OK dude, guess the NX is fucked then. Never mind that the Zelda games sell pretty much in line with Uncharted, that fantasy RPG/adventures always attract a fairly large group of people and sell well in general, or that Zelda is probably a better known IP than Uncharted among gamers and non-gamers alike

Had the Prime trilogy maintained those sales figures, sure. But Prime 2 did half of Prime and Prime 3 was roughly the same as Prime 2. One strong entry doesn't make the Prime series a runaway success.

They're all comfortable million+ sellers. You act like doing worse meant they bombed

Wii U had a 2D Mario game.

Yeah, that was important.

Can you name one thing about NSMBU itself that would have made it an important game if it weren't the Mario game appearing at the launch of Wii U?

3D Mario has local multiplayer now, and they 2D-fied it so it's basically the successor to the NSMB games anyay. Unless of course they're going back to the Galaxy/Mario 64 style.

Didn't 3D Land sell comparably to NSMB 2 on 3DS, and 3D World create more buzz than NSMB U?

It's truly shocking that the passionately made games with fresh content (compare the September 3D World Direct trailer to literally all of NSMBU) and gameplay (NSMBU's gameplay hook was "you can tap on the Wii U GamePad to place blocks" and NSMB2's was "look, more coins!") and fan-service (SMB2-style Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, etc.) that's meant to convert 2D Mario fans to 3D would sell better than the obligatory 2D sequels that seem to only exist because Nintendo knows 2D Mario sells.

Ansatz

Why? Since they introduced the 2D New Super Maro Bros series on DS and Wii they've consistently outsold the 3D Mario counterparts in their consoles and by wide margins.

Sales tell me it's more important to have a 2D Mario for launch than a 3D one.

3D Mario has local multiplayer now, and they 2D-fied it so it's basically the successor to the NSMB games anyway. Unless of course they're going back to the Galaxy/Mario 64 style.

Didn't 3D Land sell comparably to NSMB 2 on 3DS, and 3D World create more buzz than NSMB U?

3D Mario has local multiplayer now, and they 2D-fied it so it's basically the successor to the NSMB games anyway. Unless of course they're going back to the Galaxy/Mario 64 style.

Galaxy and Mario 64 aren't the same "style". In fact, none of the 3D Marios (aside from Galaxy 2 for obvious reasons) are the same style as one another

I guess I should never be excited for any system ever until the game is in my hands then I can finally say "omg I'm so excited for Nintendo NX".

What makes Uncharted 4 so great then? You won't know it's great until it's actually in your hands. Then there's no reason to be excited for anything because Uncharted 3 was a big let down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom