• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

georly

It is literally impossible to make an informed decision about whether you're interested in purchasing it.

Are you disagreeing with this?

I know for a fact nintendo will be putting games on it. Very high chance it gets new entries in my favorite franchises, like Zelda, Smash bros, Mario, Mario Kart.

Based on knowing, FOR SURE, nintendo will be making games on it, with a HIGH probability that some of those games will be brand new entries in my favorite franchises, I'd say it's pretty safe to be excited for a new system and already want to buy it. For me, that's all it takes.

That said, they could theoretically do something abhorrent (like murder 2 puppies for every console made) which would cause me to not want one, but considering their track record, I see it unlikely.

Galaxy and Mario 64 aren't the same "style". In fact, none of the 3D Marios (aside from Galaxy 2 for obvious reasons) are the same style as one another

You have 2 mario styles.

Style 1: Reach the end of the stage (or one of many ends).
Style 2: Find an item in the stage (which can just be 'reach end of stage' as a subset of that rule).

3D mario usually refers to style 2, which you would define as Mario 64/sunshine/Galaxy/Galaxy2.

That's all anyone means. I don't think anyone actually believes 64=sunshine=galaxy. It's easy to see their differences.

I personally prefer the 3D style (style 2) because it can be a little bit more puzzly/explory a times, more like a zelda game in ways.

MoonFrog

Well my most wanted title for NX would be a Metroid title but even if we get one, both Sakamoto and Tanabe have shown little interest in what made Metroid great, at least to me. Sakamoto has driven it towards a linear action game with a horrible portrayal of Samus. Tanabe wants to turn the franchise into a Sunday morning cartoon styled first person shooter. As such, I'll consider it a miracle if the next Metroid actually looks to be a worthy successor to SM and MP.

As to 3D Mario, Nintendo has been trying to link it to 2D Mario and has gone on record believing the 3D revolution of the N64 ultimately failed in its mission and alienated potential gamers. That said, 3D Mario and Zelda have been the prestige titles of Nintendo since the N64. They are going to try and make them both work.

Pinky

Banned
WTF is going on in here??? Now we're being told we can't get excited for NX because no games have been officially revealed??? In that case, I hope no one in here is excited for PS4K. Good God...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still see one of two options for Mario at launch:

1) A new 3D Mario.

2) An HD remaster package of Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

If Nintendo is interested in showcasing the power of this system, 2D Mario makes zero sense.

I'm just hoping for ports of a lot of Wii U games. There are a lot of gems that people have missed, and a lot of potential "complete" editions with DLC to entice buyers that didn't pick it up the first time.

That is neither here or there.

And to those arguing that Mario 3D NX is more exiting than Uncharted 4 you might want to wait for that game to be announced it exists first. At least we know uncharted 4 is real and launching soon. The NX could be a toaster oven that plays Game Boy Advance games for all we (officially) know. Stop hyping games that don't exist yet.

It comfortably outsold Mario 3D World and even Splatoon. Your point being?

Having NSMBU as a launch game probably isn't the thing that led to the Wii U's launch woes, but it probably didn't help. While it is a likeable enough, solid game, the general attitude is it wasn't very effective as a system seller.

That is neither here or there.

You asked for confirmation of what makes people think a 3D Mario game is coming, and I just provided something that, while not confirmation, at least hints that the developers behind it are working on something.

Granted I guess there's the chance they were referring to Captain Toad, in retrospect...

In any case, Mario is Mario and the 3D games are greatly acclaimed so I think it seems reasonable to assume he's coming. Things like Metroid and F-Zero are B series at best so people waiting for them every console cycle are setting themselves up. Mario is Mario.

NateDrake

OK dude, guess the NX is fucked then. Never mind that the Zelda games sell pretty much in line with Uncharted, that fantasy RPG/adventures always attract a fairly large group of people and sell well in general, or that Zelda is probably a better known IP than Uncharted among gamers and non-gamers alike

They're all comfortable million+ sellers. You act like doing worse meant they bombed

I'm not saying they bombed, I'm saying that the idea that the Prime brand was a runaway success isn't true. The games are critical successes, but sales weren't super strong. They performed well, but not AAA blockbuster levels. Seeing Prime skip the 3DS/Wii U generation wasn't a huge surprise, considering Retro's DKC Returns on Wii outsold the Prime series in its entirety.

Ah, I hadn't realized he was talking about the series and not just the 1st game

Prime on its own was a great success.

Lol the NX hasnt even been officially announced and we are writing it off for not having games worth buying it for?

"You don't know if it'll be worth buying yet" =/= "writing it off."

NX could be $400+ with mostly Wii U ports and a Wii U caliber set of multiplats at launch and a mystery pipeline for the first year for all we know.

Or it could be $300 or less with a killer first-party and third-party lineup.

We have no actual clue at this point.

Had the Prime trilogy maintained those sales figures, sure. But Prime 2 did half of Prime and Prime 3 was roughly the same as Prime 2. One strong entry doesn't make the Prime series a runaway success.

I'm talking only about Prime 1.

It's really not surprising that sequels that were generally seen as inferior would sell worse.

Wii U wasn't saved by this game.
Are you arguing the WiiU was saved by another game then? The WiiU was never saved! That's why it's getting replaced only 4 years after it launched (easily Nintendo's shortest home console lifespan yet).

Fact continues to be that no 3D Mario has outsold the NSMB game sold in the same console. Hell, NSMB Wii outsold Galaxy 1 almost three to one!

jacksrb

Glad to see the chorus of news about the CPU being strong.

I would think that Nintendo's two drivers as they make those console technology choices would be:

1 - how it will work with the NX handheld/ecosystem they are establishing
2 - how to keep the SKU cost low
3 - what third parties want

That being said, I am pleasantly surprised with the expected power. Now, tell me the price...

Also, what is the hook for this thing?

I would enjoy that news being delivered directly to me Nintendo. I am waiting.

Ansatz

Galaxy and Mario 64 aren't the same "style". In fact, none of the 3D Marios (aside from Galaxy 2 for obvious reasons) are the same style as one another

For me the distinction is Mario64/Sunshine as the more exploration, mission based style while Galaxy/3DWorld are linear obstacle courses (as platformers should be imo, M64 is too adventure-y)

Some people think of Mario64 and Galaxy as "proper" 3D Mario games, probably because of the camera perspective making it feel like a true 3D game so they lump those together even though the level design aims for a completely different game feel in each game. Plus they're more epic in tone and presentation compared to 3D Land/World, so I can see what people mean by all these things even if I disagree. The reason why I worded it like that is because I think fans are ready for Galaxy 3 / Mario 64-2 rather than another 3D World, but I think it makes more sense with the latter 'style'

Fact continues to be that no 3D Mario has outsold the NSMB game sold in the same console.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/3ds.html

SUPER MARIO 3D LAND
10.63 million pcs.

New Super Mario Bros. 2
10.04 million pcs.

But then I could have told you that was gonna happen simply because of the content-quality/passion gulf between the two games. I seem to remember my E3 reaction to NSMB2 being "are you fucking kidding me?" I personally enjoyed the game, but I knew that game was doomed to be way less impactful than past 2D Mario games.

Azoo

Neo Member
If anything, that should be a sign that Nintendo are more willing to make a really good 3D Mario game than particularly care about extremely high profit, rather than that the possibility of new 3D Marios is waning.

Of course, they're ultimately in it for the dollars, but the fact that they kept going despite NSMB games outselling 3D games in extreme amounts should show there's some kind of integrity there.

Having NSMBU as a launch game probably isn't the thing that led to the Wii U's launch woes, but it probably didn't help. While it is a likeable enough, solid game, the general attitude is it wasn't very effective as a system seller.

You asked for confirmation of what makes people think a 3D Mario game is coming, and I just provided something that, while not confirmation, at least hints that the developers behind it are working on something.

Granted I guess there's the chance they were referring to Captain Toad, in retrospect...

In any case, Mario is Mario and the 3D games are greatly acclaimed so I think it seems reasonable to assume he's coming. Things like Metroid and F-Zero are B series at best so people waiting for them every console cycle are setting themselves up. Mario is Mario.
You can continue I speculate until the cows come home but we don't even know the name of the next Nintendo console, let alone it's price, date and capabilities. Whatever that EAD team is working on is irrelevant right now until made public and should not be used as an argument in favor of anything. Thy could be working on an iOS port for all we know!

I too want a new 3D Mario. Galaxy is my favorite Mario of all time! But I won't say a new one is coming for sure on a console we don't know anything about until they announce it.

MK_768

Are you arguing the WiiU was saved by another game then? The WiiU was never saved! That's why it's getting replaced only 4 years after it launched (easily Nintendo's shortest home console lifespan yet).

Fact continues to be that no 3D Mario has outsold the NSMB game sold in the same console. Hell, NSMB Wii outsold Galaxy 1 almost three to one!

He clearly isn't saying that...

Enlil

the dumbest mistake Nintendo can make is not launch it with a excellent AAA title and forget about ports. a mix of Zelda/Mario or F-zero is instant system seller.

If anything, that should be a sign that Nintendo are more willing to make a really good 3D Mario game than particularly care about extremely high profit, rather than that the possibility of new 3D Marios is waning.

Of course, they're ultimately in it for the dollars, but the fact that they kept going despite NSMB games outselling 3D games in extreme amounts should show there's some kind of integrity there.

Oh, to be sure, it's a certified crusade for Miyamoto.

But at some point business interests gotta give, and what happened with Wii U and 3DS seems like as good a catalyst as we'll ever see for Nintendo being less pressed to churn out good 3D Mario games than 2D ones. That could mean we wait a few years for a new 3D Mario game while they correct course on 2D (and then use that 2D install base to try to evangelize 3D Mario again).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
the dumbest mistake Nintendo can make is not launch it with a excellent AAA title and forget about ports. a mix of Zelda/Mario or F-zero is instant system seller.

This has never been true. Ever.

Nintendo is incredibly preoccupied with how 3D Mario isn't as accessible as 2D Mario. It's been almost 20 years of anxiety at this point, so depending on how satisfied they were with Super Mario 3D World (they seem to have been encouraged by 3D Land, but who knows?), I could see them not placing a huge priority on 3D Mario for now in an effort to recapture lapsed players (with better 2D Mario games) and grow the audience (which is something NX explicitly needs to do).

Miyamoto, 2003:

The Register, 2003, interviewing Satoru Iwata (I won't bold this because the entire thing should be bolded tbh):

Satoru Iwata, 2010:

Edge 2012 interview with Koichi Hayashida (original link is broken, sorry):

Miyamoto, 2013

I don't know for sure where they intend to take Mario on NX, and while I certainly hope it includes 3D Mario, I'm not going to assume that until I've seen it.

If you're a fan of both, then obviously it won't matter which one they're making. But just speaking generally, no one really knows if Nintendo's going to make the games they want to play until Nintendo makes those games.

I am continuously put off by Nintendo's approach to the treatment of the 3D Mario games. The only way they will make a Mario that appeals to everyone is to dilute it of almost all challenge and quirky design. By that point is it worth it? I don't mean in regards to sales either; just from an artistic POV, is it worth it?

The idea of pursuing complexity just for the sake of it is terrible, but Nintendo seems to be underestimating how much decent measures of complexity (in the right dosages) can immensely increase the fun factor out of a gaming experience. For all the complaints of hand-holding modern AAA games get (got?), Nintendo is just as guilty in a lot of ways. There's concisely explaining systems and rules to the player, versus undermining their intelligence and enabling them into a fetal state. Curbing complexity can help curb difficulty (but this isn't completely true obviously; see many old arcade games w/ simple mechanics but absurd difficulty. I'm speaking about the ones that are fair which is by and large most of them of course, not the poorly-balanced ones that make a mockery of that design philosophy), but it can also curb the ways in which players explore and experience the game's world. It doesn't have to enable open-ended possibilities; just enough to tickle their curious fancy.

For a company that's known for creating fantastic game mechanics and systems, and at one point was known for pushing the envelope in in game design of certain genres (which inevitably would also include increasing complexity), it's always odd and indicative of odd form to see Miyamoto or Nintendo in general musing like this regarding the 3D Mario games. They can exist alongside the 2D-oriented ones easily; it doesn't have to be an either/or and they don't need to dilute both by continuously attempting to merge them together.

Well first off you shouldn't speak for everyone lol. Simply cause I know Mario is gonna be on NX and that's enough. I dont care if it's 2D or 3D.

You missed my point when I said Mario will be there. So your Mario 2D argument is pointless since I didn't specify. As for 3D Mario...3D world is a 3D Mario. I never specified by saying a 3D World like game or a Galaxy like game. Now if people were to expect that...then sure they are a bit foolish. But you are foolish for thinking that we can't assume Mario is gonna be here.

When people mention "3D Mario", they mean something along the lines of 64 and Sunshine. Something that encourages players to explore their curiosities, master the game mechanics and level layouts for quicker runtimes, and gives them a little coherent world to explore with a range of suitable acrobatic maneuvers.

Even since Sunshine all the other Marios have neglected at least one of those things, but the Galaxy games were the least offending of the crop, easily (they also happen to be my favorite Mario games, Galaxy 1 in particular. Yoshi's Island is a close 2nd).

Instro

I still see one of two options for Mario at launch:

1) A new 3D Mario.

2) An HD remaster package of Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

If Nintendo is interested in showcasing the power of this system, 2D Mario makes zero sense.

I don't think 3D Mario will be ready for launch, and it's probably not a good idea to put align it with the release of Zelda anyway. I would bet that their Mario game for launch will be a remastered Mario Maker.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/3ds.html

SUPER MARIO 3D LAND
10.63 million pcs.

New Super Mario Bros. 2
10.04 million pcs.

But then I could have told you that was gonna happen simply because of the content-quality/passion gulf between the two games. I seem to remember my E3 reaction to NSMB2 being "are you fucking kidding me?" I personally enjoyed the game, but I knew that game was doomed to be way less impactful than past 2D Mario games.
Ok I'll give you that one. But still in willing I guess NSMB2 was way way more profitable and developed in less time than 3D Land.

Also 3D Land was almost a 2D game in isometric static camera view with linear levels and a traditional world map. It was a factor as well, Mario 64 this was not.

MK_768

WTF is going on in here??? Now we're being told we can't get excited for NX because no games have been officially revealed??? In that case, I hope no one in here is excited for PS4K. Good God...

Seriously. People are being ridiculous. Worse than those who think NX will get every goddamn Nintendo series under the sun.

Like chill the fuck out with the pessimism lol. If I want to be excited for the possibility of a new 3D Mario who the hell are you to say otherwise? Get over yourselves.

tr1p1ex

I'm not saying the bombed, I'm saying that the idea that the Prime brand was a runaway success isn't true. The games are critical successes, but sales weren't super strong. They performed well, but not AAA blockbuster levels. Seeing Prime skip the 3DS/Wii U generation wasn't a huge surprise, considering Retro's DKC Returns on Wii outsold the Prime series in its entirety.

Yep it's actually a pretty weak franchise for Nintendo.

The first one sold ~2.8 million worldwide with 2 million of that in North America. 100k in Japan.

The 2nd sold 1.33 million worldwide and didn't even hit a million in America.

The 3rd MP only sold ~1.88 million even though it was on the much larger install base of the Wii.

The Trilogy only sold .62 million on the Wii.

My opinion is the first game is awesome and after that it was a serious case of been there, done that. Everything blends together in those games. The environments were so abstract.

I think all this talk about whether or not the NX is "worth buying" is kinda semantics at this point. Yeah, obviously we don't know what the product will be as a whole, but at this point most of us (I'm assuming) are excited by the prospect of new hardware and next gen versions of Nintendo games.

Whether or not the Tokyo EPD Mario team is working on a Mario game, we know they're going to come out with SOMETHING, and with that team's track record we have every reason to be excited for it.

You can continue I speculate until the cows come home but we don't even know the name of the next Nintendo console, let alone it's price, date and capabilities. Whatever that EAD team is working on is irrelevant right now until made public and should not be used as an argument in favor of anything. Thy could be working on an iOS port for all we know!

I too want a new 3D Mario. Galaxy is my favorite Mario of all time! But I won't say a new one is coming for sure on a console we don't know anything about until they announce it.

No one is saying we know for sure.

People are just using prior precedence, hints and other forms of evidence, to draw what is likely to be the most reasonable prediction based on what we know. Sure in practice it's about as provable as the "ios port" thing, but at least the idea that a 3D mario game might be coming in some form has more weight backing it up that makes it a reasonable inference.

That is all people are saying. Speculation is speculation, but it's entirely possible to create speculation that has actual, grounded reason and evidence behind it.

(Plus this IS basically a rumour/speculation thread to begin with, so it's the nature of the beast..)

MK_768

When people mention "3D Mario", they mean something along the lines of 64 and Sunshine. Something that encourages players to explore their curiosities, master the game mechanics and level layouts for quicker runtimes, and gives them a little coherent world to explore with a range of suitable acrobatic maneuvers.

Even since Sunshine all the other Marios have neglected at least one of those things, but the Galaxy games were the least offending of the crop, easily (they also happen to be my favorite Mario games, Galaxy 1 in particular. Yoshi's Island is a close 2nd).

Okay but I do know what people mean when they say 3D Mario. But when they say 3D world is a 3D Mario game they are literally wrong. It's a mainline Mario game in 3D. It's that's simple. It's not complicated whatsoever. People are just being dense when they say that shit lol.

And this comes from someone who was disappointed when 3D World was announced. I wanted another Galaxy or Sunshine-esque game. But I happily enjoyed 3D World when I got it on release day.

I think we can all agree that we all wish Nintendo would shed some light on the NX soon so we can start wishing and speculating over more solid foundations other than a code name and that Nintendo's working on something we assume it's a high powered home console.

I'm excited for Retro's game. I'm excited for Monolith Softs game. I'm excited for EADs (EPD it's called now?) games. I'm excited for the Nintendo NX.

There's nothing wrong with being excited for a new system even without knowing the "exact" games which are coming. We all know new Nintendo games are coming on a brand new piece of hardware and that's exciting for us. If it's not exciting for you then that's cool. I play 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mario Soccer. I know some of these Mario games will be there for NX and I'm going to play them.

MK_768

I don't think 3D Mario will be ready for launch, and it's probably not a good idea to put align it with the release of Zelda anyway. I would bet that their Mario game for launch will be a remastered Mario Maker.

Warning: This is pure speculation ;)

I've suggested Nintendo go the Wii route. Show off 3D Mario, if they are making it, and have it come out a year after release. Helps with the hype of the system.

P.S. This is speculation.

lol

Instro

Yep it's actually a pretty weak franchise for Nintendo.

The first one sold ~2.8 million worldwide with 2 million of that in North America. 100k in Japan.

The 2nd sold 1.33 million worldwide and didn't even hit a million in America.

The 3rd MP only sold ~1.88 million even though it was on the much larger install base of the Wii.

The Trilogy only sold .62 million on the Wii.

My opinion is the first game is awesome and after that it was a serious case of been there, done that. Everything blends together in those games. The environments were so abstract.

I would say MP3 was sunk by Nintendo's lack of marketing. Totally sabotaged and sent to die when it could have easily been the best selling game in the entire series.

I am continuously put off by Nintendo's approach to the treatment of the 3D Mario games. The only way they will make a Mario that appeals to everyone is to dilute it of almost all challenge and quirky design. By that point is it worth it? I don't mean in regards to sales either; just from an artistic POV, is it worth it?

tbqh, I think Mario's biggest problem is that Mario Kart is the only component of the brand where people aren't exasperated at the way Nintendo's been trying to manufacture a response from fans that matches their internal ambitions and agenda.

The decision to stick with the most unpopular element of the NSMB brand (the music) with the 3DS and Wii U entries (they literally recycle most of the soundtrack) while making excuses for not implementing popular elements of classic 2D Mario games (character attributes from SMB2 being the best example; remember the "dress physics" argument for NSMB Wii? clearly that mattered for 3D World!) shows that Nintendo doesn't really care about 2D Mario the way 2D Mario fans do.

Meanwhile, the decision to try to make 3D Mario more like 2D Mario despite 2D Mario fans maybe possibly just not liking 3D gameplay by design, while throwing creativity at those games that they haven't bothered giving to the 2D games, shows that Nintendo really just wants 2D Mario to go away and all those 2D Mario fans to buy the 3D games which they're much more passionate about. (Sorry, fans of the previous 3D games!)

It's a clusterfuck, and I don't see the Mario brand continuing to be healthy unless Nintendo deprioritizes their obsession with 3D Mario and starts prioritizing 2D Mario instead.

Warning: This is pure speculation ;)

I've suggested Nintendo go the Wii route. Show off 3D Mario, if they are making it, and have it come out a year after release. Helps with the hype of the system.

P.S. This is speculation.

lol
If Zelda U is indeed coming out the same day as the NX I'd be willing to bet you anything that Nintendo won't also release a 3D Mario on the same date. A 2D one yes but a new AAA 3D one the same day as a new Zelda? When pigs fly, I'm telling you.

diaspora

Since when did vague rumors = news? And don't think you're hearing new reports of this rumor. You're just hearing people repeating the same rumor.

LCGeek is credible and was the one who put it out here in the first place. He's previously leaked information on Wii and DS specs.

Okay but I do know what people mean when they say 3D Mario. But when they say 3D world is a 3D Mario game they are literally wrong. It's a mainline Mario game in 3D. It's that's simple. It's not complicated whatsoever. People are just being dense when they say that shit lol.

And this comes from someone who was disappointed when 3D World was announced. I wanted another Galaxy or Sunshine-esque game. But I happily enjoyed 3D World when I got it on release day.

No that's cool, we see eye-to-eye on this then. I don't consider 3D World a "3D" Mario like Galaxy, Sunshine or 64 either, but it's closest to Galaxy in terms of blueprint.

Doesn't disbar 3D World from being a good Mario game, it just isn't much like 64. Or Sunshine for that matter.

MK_768

If Zelda U is indeed coming out the same day as the NX I'd be willing to bet you anything that Nintendo won't also release a 3D Mario on the same date. A 2D one yes but a new AAA 3D one the same day as a new Zelda? When pigs fly, I'm telling you.

I don't think a 3D Mario would ever come out at launch alongside Zelda NX. I'm saying they should show it off at e3 this year and release it next year, 1 year after NX's release.

Of course this is on the assumption that they are making a 3D Mario.

tr1p1ex

I would say MP3 was sunk by Nintendo's lack of marketing. Totally sabotaged and sent to die when it could have easily been the best selling game in the entire series.

Face it. The MP franchise just isn't that big. IT doesn't resonate with that many consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom