• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say MP3 was sunk by Nintendo's lack of marketing. Totally sabotaged and sent to die when it could have easily been the best selling game in the entire series.
That too. Prime 1 was given the red carpet treatment during the barren GC days and it continues to be the franchise's best selling game.

Meanwhile Prime 3 was released when Nintendo was smack dab in the middle of riding the casual wave not even a year after the Wii launched to mainstream success. They were too busy winning over moms and grandpas with Wii Sports and Wii Play that sold tens of millions to give any attention to Prime 3 which they believed fans and reviews would push themselves. And push they did. 1.8 million sold with no marketing is a big number.

MK_768

No that's cool, we see eye-to-eye on this then. I don't consider 3D World a "3D" Mario like Galaxy, Sunshine or 64 either, but it's closest to Galaxy in terms of blueprint.

Doesn't disbar 3D World from being a good Mario game, it just isn't much like 64. Or Sunshine for that matter.

Oh okay haha. Yeah I agree. I mean I was with loads of people who hated 3D World when it was announced. So letdown ya know lol. Then they showed off that 2nd trailer in like August or September and it turned a new leaf for me. I played it and had more fun with it than Galaxy 2.

I remember seeing this ad run on TV rather often: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kdAaGczvws

I still can't believe they actually advertised it in the same format as Wii Sports and Wii Play. Geez.

Compare to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewcljvJQAQA

That probably explains where the target audience went. They weren't being targeted.

Face it. The MP franchise just isn't that big. IT doesn't resonate with that many consumers.

No one's saying it needs to be Halo big.

But a Prime game on Wii had potential to at least match the Prime game on GameCube. I seriously wonder what the Trilogy would have sold had they not released it on such a limited basis.

MK_768

the dumbest mistake Nintendo can make is not launch it with a excellent AAA title and forget about ports. a mix of Zelda/Mario or F-zero is instant system seller.

You have no clue how to run a business then. Also a bit ignorant on the gaming industry and how it works.

ozfunghi

Since when did vague rumors = news? And don't think you're hearing new reports of this rumor. You're just hearing people repeating the same rumor.

The same rumor... about the CPU being more powerful than the ones in XBO/PS4. Or the same sources?

When the guy who accurately leaked the GCN and Wii CPU says his sources told him this, i see little reason to doubt what he's saying.

So yeah... the 10k thing are new reports because his source was notLCeek.

I feel like if Nintendo did Metroid Prime 4 today it would sell better than MP1. With today's media and people begging for a new Metroid game I think Nintendo could pull it off. They need to be like Sony and advertise it very very well. Show it's a hardcore title and show the graphics off.

ReyVGM

If Zelda U is indeed coming out the same day as the NX I'd be willing to bet you anything that Nintendo won't also release a 3D Mario on the same date. A 2D one yes but a new AAA 3D one the same day as a new Zelda? When pigs fly, I'm telling you.

Zelda NX for launch. Super Mario Galaxy/Universe/3D in december.

I also think they won't announce the price at E3, they will wait for the reactions and then announce a price.

Malus

For me the distinction is Mario64/Sunshine as the more exploration, mission based style while Galaxy/3DWorld are linear obstacle courses (as platformers should be imo, M64 is too adventure-y)

Some people think of Mario64 and Galaxy as "proper" 3D Mario games, probably because of the camera perspective making it feel like a true 3D game so they lump those together even though the level design aims for a completely different game feel in each game. Plus they're more epic in tone and presentation compared to 3D Land/World, so I can see what people mean by all these things even if I disagree. The reason why I worded it like that is because I think fans are ready for Galaxy 3 / Mario 64-2 rather than another 3D World, but I think it makes more sense with the latter 'style'

I still think people hoping for open world Mario are going to be disappointed. EPD Tokyo has never made a game like that, and their last game was this of all things:

2558115-wiiu_captaintoad_scrn01_e3.jpg

Galaxy is as "open" as I'm expecting them to go, and I'm perfectly okay with that. The tone/presentation part you mentioned is probably a big part of people's dissatisfaction with Land and World. Making it more epic like Galaxy is all they need to do to add that wow factor.

I feel like if Nintendo did Metroid Prime 4 today it would sell better than MP1. With today's media and people begging for a new Metroid game I think Nintendo could pull it off. They need to be like Sony and advertise it very very well. Show it's a hardcore title and show the graphics off.
They should put a Metroid 4 trailer in with the new Alien movie. I'd imagine there's a decent amount of potential crossover with the two audiences (such as myself ;).

I still think people hoping for open world Mario are going to be disappointed. EPD Tokyo has never made a game like that, and their last game was this of all things:

Galaxy is as "open" as I'm expecting them to go, and I'm perfectly okay with that. The tone/presentation part you mentioned is probably a big part of people's dissatisfaction with Land and World. Making it more epic like Galaxy is all they need to do to add that wow factor.
Yeah, no open world Mario ever please.

tr1p1ex

No one's saying it needs to be Halo big.

But a Prime game on Wii had potential to at least match the Prime game on GameCube. I seriously wonder what the Trilogy would have sold had they not released it on such a limited basis.

No one said anything about Halo. And too many think Metroid Prime is a much bigger selling franchise than it actually is. It's a very minor Nintendo franchise.

Nintendo couldn't even sell the copies of the Trilogy they had on the shelf at the time. I remember those things being discounted heavily at BB. Then much later they started to get rare and the price went up on the open market.

GAmestop saw this, from what I read ,and got all excited and saw an opportunity and persuaded Nintendo to print more exclusively for them ....and ....crickets. Nothing happened. I think GS still sits on piles of Trilogies. They might be selling them as used. Not sure.

Metroid is ripe to return to its 2d roots though ala Super Mario Bros. Someone just posted Iwata's comments here that players find 2d Mario so much easier and would never try 3d Mario. Along those lines, Metroid is ripe for returning to 2d.

dkopman1

Neo Member
If Zelda U is indeed coming out the same day as the NX I'd be willing to bet you anything that Nintendo won't also release a 3D Mario on the same date. A 2D one yes but a new AAA 3D one the same day as a new Zelda? When pigs fly, I'm telling you.

I'm pretty sure 3D Land and Skward Sword came out a week apart in NA and 3D World and Link Between Worlds came out the same day. There is a precedent for this happening.

Also 3D Mario would be the title for Wii u owners to upgrade to the NX. I don't think a port of a game they could already play on their Wii U would be enough.

They should put a Metroid 4 trailer in with the new Alien movie. I'd imagine there's a decent amount of potential crossover with the two audiences (such as myself ;).

Exactly. And that's what Sony is great at. They're great at knowing where the market is going to be and advertise it to them. They know how to hit the right "chords" with customers.

I hope Nintendo does this. If Nintendo is planning on competing with Sony and MS (remember last time Iwata said they weren't) then they have to show their "cool" and they've got a hardcore titles like Metroid and Zelda.

ReyVGM

If you didn't get kicked out after collecting each Star/Sprite in Super Mario 64 and Sunshine, they'd already be open-world games.

I seem to remember having the option to keep playing in the stage after collecting the star in Mario 64? Maybe it was in the Japanese version or Sunshine?
I remember seeing an option to keep playing after a star.

ZombiU "failed" because Ubisoft had way to high expectations for sales, especially for a game with 70% reviews. Seems the game did "fail" much more on PS4/XOne after it got ported with much lower sales on these consoles.

The fallout from that (Ubisoft delaying Rayman when it had practically gone gold, and rescheduling it so it could be crushed by GTAV) was much worse.

If the Wii U had Rayman in February, the Wii U's fatal first-year drought wouldn't have been so severe, and the game would've sold better.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Non open mario please.
About metroid prime 3 I remember a very more hardcore spot in Europe

Still not great sales result

MK_768

Zelda NX for launch. Super Mario Galaxy/Universe/3D in december.

I also think they won't announce the price at E3, they will wait for the reactions and then announce a price.

I dont see this happening. I would expect Pikmin 4 to be the December game. Just an inkling lol. But Mario in December a month after Zelda? Eh.

I dont see this happening. I would expect Pikmin 4 to be the December game. Just an inkling lol. But Mario in December a month after Zelda? Eh.

That'd be even stranger tbh since Pikmin's adventure elements overlap a lot more with Zelda's than Mario's do.

No one said anything about Halo. And too many think Metroid Prime is a much bigger selling franchise than it actually is. It's a very minor Nintendo franchise.

Oh, yeah, for sure. It's a 3m peak franchise historically.

But there are many more much more minor games that come out of Nintendo than there are more major ones.

Nintendo couldn't even sell the copies of the Trilogy they had on the shelf at the time. I remember those things being discounted heavily at BB. Then much later they started to get rare and the price went up on the open market.

Huh, interesting. I seem to remember there being insanely low stock everywhere, kind of like what I'm seeing now with the current Nintendo Selects.

Do you recall them releasing a 3D Mario game in spring?

If so then Zelda would be November and a 3D Mario could be spring if they have it ready.

Pokemaniac

I seem to remember having the option to keep playing in the stage after collecting the star in Mario 64? Maybe it was in the Japanese version or Sunshine?
I remember seeing an option to keep playing after a star.

That appeared for particular secret stars.

3D World is great, but it wasn't ambitious...like at all. Felt more like a Galaxy 2 to Galaxy upgrade to the base of a portable 3D Mario.
Galaxy being linear provides a more hand crafted approach and is just considerably better than the other games.
3D World and Galaxy share in their linearity but the gameplay felt more limited and there wasn't as much spectacle.
I want to see Mario keep evolving, not platou with Galaxy.
If they have a better idea than Galaxy then I'd love to see it, maybe give Rosalina the starring role in Galaxy 3 (spin it off like Yoshi's island) and let Mario do his own thing.
Don't like Nintendo trying to make the 3D Mario games more like the 2D ones. Just keep making 2D and 3D Mario games.
Also, 2D Mario might sell better, but it's not the game to push systems anymore. Let's not be silly about it.
It's a game that's super accessible, but more for people that already own the system like Wii fit

tr1p1ex

The same rumor... about the CPU being more powerful than the ones in XBO/PS4. Or the same sources?

When the guy who accurately leaked the GCN and Wii CPU says his sources told him this, i see little reason to doubt what he's saying.

So yeah... the 10k thing are new reports because his source was notLCeek.

Did you cross check all that or just assume it's true. YOu're talking 10 and 15 years ago. :) It's a rumor !!!!! IT isn't news.

And I don't believe the 10k rumor is an independent source. He played up his posting of information and then ....he posted nothing new. That's a red flag for me that the source of his rumors are the same internet reports we all read the past week or so.

MK_768

That'd be even stranger tbh since Pikmin's adventure elements overlap a lot more with Zelda's than Mario's do.

I dont think so. Pikmin isn't a top tier series like Zelda and Mario. I think it's more likely to see Pikmin 4 come a month after Zelda U/NX than a 3D Mario.

Do you recall them releasing a 3D Mario game in spring?

If so then Zelda would be November and a 3D Mario could be spring if they have it ready.
No I don't lol. I mean it's possible. More probable than in December, imo. I still think they will keep it as a major holiday game for 2017...if it's being developed of course.

Ansatz

Open world is a good way of putting it. Well they did what people asked for with Zelda U so a Mario 64-2 game is within the realm of possibility but I don't think it's happening, Zelda was a case of underperforming sales wise so they felt they had to westernize it I guess. It's cool to see an internally developed 3D open world game with what Iwata called rich graphics but I hope Nintendo sticks with what they do best for other franchises. I still feel meh about it, they have Xenoblade for that type of experience.

And yeah Land/World where too happy/cutesy in tone for some, there needs to be less rabbit chasing and goofing around in goomba suits, and more of the spectacular stuff Galaxy had.

MrBigBoy

This idea came to my mind.

I have seen people speculating that AR like 3D feature the NX could have. Wouldn't a Galaxy game be perfect for that? Turning your head around to look over the planet/level you are currently on.

The NSMB games aren't ambitious either. 3D land was very ambitious for a portable game, but bringing that up to the new HD system didn't work particularly well.

I know the NSMB games aren't ambitious. What I'm saying is that 3D World is miles more ambitious than any of the other non-Galaxy Mario games Nintendo's put out in the last couple gens.

I also think 3D World was much more rich creatively than 3D Land, both in terms of content (3D Land's was all derivative, while you had some unique stuff in 3D World like World 8) and looking at how they exploited the 3D perspective and 3D geometry in that game. It wasn't unprecedented since a lot of that was already being done in the Galaxy games, but within the new framework I thought they really pushed the envelope much further.

I dont think so. Pikmin isn't a top tier series like Zelda and Mario. I think it's more likely to see Pikmin 4 come a month after Zelda U/NX than a 3D Mario.

Exactly. What I'm suggesting is that a Pikmin 4 that launches that close to Zelda has more of a chance of being eclipsed by Zelda, precisely because Pikmin is a lesser known franchise. Zelda games are big and take most players a long time to finish; with the degree to which Pikmin adopts adventure-like elements from Zelda, it needs to be dropped when the audience has the appetite for more adventure-like experiences, not while they're in the middle of their big epic game.

Malus

3D World is great, but it wasn't ambitious...like at all. Felt more like a Galaxy 2 to Galaxy upgrade to the base of a portable 3D Mario.
Galaxy being linear provides a more hand crafted approach and is just considerably better than the other games.
3D World and Galaxy share in their linearity but the gameplay felt more limited and there wasn't as much spectacle.
I want to see Mario keep evolving, not platou with Galaxy.system

Right, I wanna see something new, with it's own sense of identity.

In a way Splatoon's single player mode feels like exactly that. The diving into your own ink mechanic felt as natural and exciting as the gravity mechanic to me, and Splatoon had it's own charming presentation to match.

Back on topic...I hope 10k is able to confirm with more sources whatever he heard about the GPU. It doens't really matter now that we may know generally where the NX stands (~PS4 level), but more details wouldn't hurt.

Open world is a good way of putting it. Well they did what people asked for with Zelda U so a Mario 64-2 game is within the realm of possibility but I don't think it's happening, Zelda was a case of underperforming sales wise so they felt they had to westernize it I guess. It's cool to see an internally developed 3D open world game with what Iwata called rich graphics but I hope Nintendo sticks with what they do best for other franchises. I still feel meh about it, they have Xenoblade for that type of experience.

And yeah Land/World where too happy/cutesy in tone for some, there needs to be less rabbit chasing and goofing around in goomba suits, and more of the spectacular stuff Galaxy had.

Galaxy was nothing if not for its rabbit chasing :p

Peterc

Face it. The MP franchise just isn't that big. IT doesn't resonate with that many consumers.

It should be, it's much better as halo.
It can be if their marketing is right, the game will do the rest.
It's the best Isolated/Alien game out there.

Trago

On the subject of remasters/ports from the Wii U to NX, I welcome it.

There are lots of Nintendo fans who didn't buy a Wii U. The games that they missed out on can help sell them on the new hardware.

Worked for Sony.

3D World had the most creative worlds/levels of any 3D Mario game, imo. It was an amazing experience and I played it with 2 other people. It had a lot of memorable levels.

I would love another multiplayer 3D Mario and mix it with Super Mario 64 I should add with online. Lol

Zalman

It should be, it's much better as halo.
It can be if their marketing is right, the game will do the rest.
Indeed. Some people will completely disagree with me, but if Metroid Prime had Halo-like multiplayer and Nintendo marketed it right, it could be huge. Of course, the campaign should be nothing like Halo, but Metroid has the potential to be Nintendo's big online FPS.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Did you cross check all that or just assume it's true. YOu're talking 10 and 15 years ago. :) It's a rumor !!!!! IT isn't news.

And I don't believe the 10k rumor is an independent source. He played up his posting of information and then ....he posted nothing new. That's a red flag for me that the source of his rumors are the same internet reports we all read the past week or so.

It is a rumor. I dont know if it is true. But mods verified his sources and allowed the topic. I think this is enough to avoid shitting on 10k.

You dont believe him and that is fair, but others can believe it. And everyone can discuss it.

Nairume

Banned
But when they say 3D world is a 3D Mario game they are literally wrong. It's a mainline Mario game in 3D. It's that's simple. It's not complicated whatsoever. People are just being dense when they say that shit lol.
Consider it way, there have been six "mainline mario games in 3D." 64 and Sunshine are clearly like each other. 3D Land and 3D World are clearly like each other, as well. When it ultimately comes down to it, the Galaxy games are much closer to 3D Land/World than they are to 64/Sunshine. Even if Mario 64 laid most of the groundwork, it and Sunshine are now the outliers as what a 3D Mario is at this point.

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable (or "dense") to just go ahead and call 3D Land and World what they are when the reality is that everybody saying "no, we want 3D mario"" really just need to start saying that they want something like 64/Sunshine.

Which is fine. I would like more of that, too.

Deadstar

I still see one of two options for Mario at launch:

1) A new 3D Mario.

2) An HD remaster package of Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

If Nintendo is interested in showcasing the power of this system, 2D Mario makes zero sense.

I'd buy the system for an hd remaster of MG1 and 2. I never played them because the graphics looked too bad. I really hope they do this because I've seen screenshots of the games running on dolphin and it's night and day.

Earendil

Long loading times, empty maps, dumb ai, and restricting enemy quantities. Are things that would definitely detract from playing a video game.

Don't understand the need to downplay it all the time. If Nintendo had this mentality we would be stuck with shit hardware, and even worse games. So glad they don't see it that way.

I think the problem is that most developer don't use the extra power for making better AI, or reducing load times. They use the extra power to push more pixels and effects, because that's what sells.

cordy

Banned
I just want that open world Mario set in the Mushroom Kingdom or even Dinosaur Land, hell a new land just something dope. I love the Galaxy series but damn, we need something fresher.

MK_768

Consider it way, there have been six "mainline mario games in 3D." 64 and Sunshine are clearly like each other. 3D Land and 3D World are clearly like each other, as well. When it ultimately comes down to it, the Galaxy games are much closer to 3D Land/World than they are to 64/Sunshine. Even if Mario 64 laid most of the groundwork, it and Sunshine are now the outliers as what a 3D Mario is at this point.

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable (or "dense") to just go ahead and call 3D Land and World what they are when the reality is that everybody saying "no, we want 3D mario"" really just need to start saying that they want something like 64/Sunshine.

Which is fine. I would like more of that, too.

I may be misunderstanding you here, but um I was saying those who don't call 3D Wolrd a "3D Mario" game are dense. I agree with the last part that those people who discredit 3D World should say they just want a sunshine/64 like game.

Nairume

Banned
I may be misunderstanding you here, but um I was saying those who don't call 3D Wolrd a "3D Mario" game are dense. I agree with the last part that those people who discredit 3D World should say they just want a sunshine/64 like game.
Oh, sorry, I was doing the misreading :p

Peterc

About fps games. It's about time that consoles supporting keyboard + mouse for every fps games and maybe for others. Specially if they want to start with cross play. I'm not a fan using traditional controller for fps, even prefer wiimote aiming instead. Maybe because i played allot of fps games first on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom