• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntMurda

My point is that it could have been more popular if it wasn't mishandled, not that it is currently popular.

The first one was almost an outlier. It was an event for Nintendo fans "omg Metroid is back in 3D". We've seen since that there was a general drop off between the one time consumer and the dedicated consumer. Granted, maybe the games could have been designed differently and garnished more excitement.

I don't think Metroid needs to be as grim or as bleak as Dark Souls but that's the audience that these games need to be aimed toward, that's the audience that I think would be most receptive to a series like Prime.
I don't want Dark Souls type of Metroid games. They should be exactly as they are, but they need to be marketed more and better. The Prime series should've sold way more.

Schnozberry

Yes, why did all those soccer moms, the Wii Fit crowd, gramps and little ricky not buy Metroid Prime 3? Could it be because 4/5th of that userbase has 0 interest in games like that? Could it also be that the gamer that was in fact interested in such "core" experiences, found games looking a lot more impressive on the HD consoles?

There was a bit of series fatigue at that point as well. The Prime games were brilliant but a worn concept at that point. You touched on it as well, but there were more original concepts on other platforms targeting the same gamers.

diaspora

I don't want Dark Souls type of Metroid games. They should be exactly as they are, but they need to be marketed more and better. The Prime series should've sold way more.

Did I say anything about making Metroid like Dark Souls? No because that's fucking absurd, I said those are the gamers that they need to be advertising and marketing to.

tr1p1ex

Well, maybe you should try it. Try to feed the mods some bullshit/made up leak. See if they find out, and see what they'll do next. You can post a topic on Gamefaqs to tell us how it went.

It doesn't have to be deliberate bs to not be true or independent. Big red flag when someone sits there for 10 posts about how they are going to post some information and is getting verified and then...it's the same information as 5 days ago. Why all the drama? There's nothing specific or new. It's the same vague stuff. That's a red flag.

My take is this is not a new source of rumors. Also these latest rumors we've heard regarding ports and power are vague enough to mean anything. We still haven't heard any good dirt on the NX.

Kaisos

The easy solution I can think of would be to have a friendly helper character talking to Samus, suggesting where to go next to accomplish certain objectives and popping up a big arrow. This could be shut off for hardcore Metroid players who want to get lost.

If a helper character like that is a basic part of the design, "getting lost" is not a thing that the developer will intend to happen to begin with.

The more you signpost players, the more linear the game is going to be at a basic level. No thanks.

Face it. The MP franchise just isn't that big. IT doesn't resonate with that many consumers.

Nintendo is a platform holder, not a random 3rd party software provider. As a platform holder they need to keep all kinds of gamers and niches happy. 1-2 million people is big enough of a group to be important for a platform holder. In particular when it's core gamers, which are the foundation of every successful console - including the Wii in the beginning. Maybe as a 3rd party you can piss off most of your fanbases and do nothing but tired 2D platformers and minigames that ,,sell best". But not as a platform holder. Otherwise you'll end up with the WiiU. I.e. a terribly monotone library which was rightfully rejected by everyone on the market except the most hardcore of the core Nintendo enthusiasts. That's why Sony is smart banking on things like TLG and Bloodborne whenever the time is right, even though it's not gonna be a calladuty-level hit. On the other hand, shitting on fans of Metroid or other core series because ,,it only sold 1,5 mil" and not even providing proper equivalencies for them is dumb and shortsighted.

diaspora

If a helper character like that is a basic part of the design, "getting lost" is not a thing that the developer will intend to happen to begin with.

The more you signpost players, the more linear the game is going to be at a basic level. No thanks.

That's not necessarily true. The introduction of a babby mode allows for the base game to be that much more difficult.

edit: each game in the MP franchise has sold around the same or more than Demons Souls.

tr1p1ex

Yes, why did all those soccer moms, the Wii Fit crowd, gramps and little ricky not buy Metroid Prime 3? Could it be because 4/5th of that userbase has 0 interest in games like that? Could it also be that the gamer that was in fact interested in such "core" experiences, found games looking a lot more impressive on the HD consoles?

Well obviously gamers didn't find MP3 impressive enough to buy more than 1.8 million copies of it worldwide.

Kurt

Zelda nx?

His opinion is that i can be that no zelda or mario come to nx... <-- which is the same kind of % that uncharted 4 will be released to NX... (yes i know it's Sony dev, i think i made my point).

If he didn't played uncharted, how do he even knows that it's worth to buy a ps4 for.
It all make no sense

ozfunghi

The single-player certainly shouldn't be a repeat of Prime 1 that turned off a lot of players.

The easy solution I can think of would be to have a friendly helper character talking to Samus, suggesting where to go next to accomplish certain objectives and popping up a big arrow. This could be shut off for hardcore Metroid players who want to get lost.

Ok, thanks for applying. We'll get in touch with you, should we chose to make use of your services in the future.

Seriously though, if you want to develop for a Nintendo CoD crowd, start a new IP. But keep your mits off what makes Metroid Metroid. There's plenty of ways to make Metroid more enticing.

That's a fair point. But I still feel like the series could do a lot better if marketed better. It might not do COD success, but I imagine it could do a lot better than what MP3 sold.

It could all they have to do is AAA it up in terms of production, visuals. It doesnt have to appeal to the COD people its could be its own game/genre like it was before. If the game is good it wil gain its audience. It just cant look generic like the alien, doom, games or whatever. They can do it.

ozfunghi

It doesn't have to be deliberate bs to not be true or independent. Big red flag when someone sits there for 10 posts about how they are going to post some information and is getting verified and then...it's the same information as 5 days ago. Why all the drama? There's nothing specific or new. It's the same vague stuff. That's a red flag.

My take is this is not a new source of rumors. Also these latest rumors we've heard regarding ports and power are vague enough to mean anything. We still haven't heard any good dirt on the NX.

lol

Basically ANYTHING has been rumored at this point. It being weaker, it being a WiiU+, it being more powerful, it having a new gamepad. You obviously don't know 10k or his posting habits and are badly placed to analyse the way he brought the info. I mean, it's not like he's been a member for years but has only recently started to crappost in Nintendo topics, unlike some others you may know.

Of course Sony is worried about more powerful consoles. Most gamers from the PS360Wii gen don't even have a current gen console yet.

Sony leads simply because they had the most powerful console. If the XOne had been more powerful it had the lead. When it comes to exclusive games the PS4 is behind both XOne and Wii U, but multiplatform games are almost always better on PS4.

Sony is fully aware why the PS4 is successful thats the reason for the PS4k.
Literally tales from your ass.

tr1p1ex

Nintendo is a platform holder, not a random 3rd party software provider. As a platform holder they need to keep all kinds of gamers and niches happy. 1-2 million people is big enough of a group to be important for a platform holder. In particular when it's core gamers, which are the foundation of every successful console - including the Wii in the beginning. Maybe as a 3rd party you can piss off most of your fanbases and do nothing but phoned-in 2D platformers and minigames that ,,sell best". But not as a platform holder. Otherwise you'll end up with the WiiU. I.e. a terribly monotone library which was rightfully rejected by everyone on the market except the most hardcore of the core Nintendo enthusiasts. That's why Sony is smart banking on things like TLG and Bloodborne whenever the time is right, even though it's not gonna be a calladuty-level hit. On the other hand, shitting on fans of Metroid or other core series because ,,it only sold 1,5 mil" and not even providing proper equivalencies for them is dumb and shortsighted.

Sorry. I would like to apologize on the behalf of Nintendo for the lack of a Metroid Prime game on the Wii U.

Malus

The only Metroid Prime game I played was 3 and I didn't like it very much. The story didn't get me invested in the world, and environment traversal was tedious. I watched the ending on youtube and that shit was corny as hell. It also gives you way too much health.

Peru

The only Metroid Prime game I played was 3 and I didn't like it very much. The story didn't get me invested in the world, and environment traversal was tedious. I watched the ending on youtube and that shit was corny as hell. It also gives you way too much health.

It's very diffferent from the original MP; which is one of the best games ever AND one of the best at getting you drawn into the world through a traversal-based narrative and no dialogue.

Metroid on NES and Metroid Prime on GameCube (to a lesser extent, I'd say) were already basically Nintendo's Dark Souls equivalents: grittier games targeted at more skilled players.

diaspora

The sales argument for a lack of Metroid or Prime titles doesn't convince me when they push Souls-games tier numbers. Rather I wonder if it's because they don't have any ideas for the IP anymore.

The sales argument for a lack of Metroid or Prime titles doesn't convince me when they push Souls-games tier numbers. Rather I wonder if it's because they don't have any ideas for the IP anymore.

I think it's more because that kind of game (Metroid, not Souls) isn't one that lets their development leads be auteurs, as Other M proved.

Real talk: without looking up the answer, how many people actually know offhand who the director of Metroid Prime actually was?

About the same number of gamers found Demons Souls impressive enough. Dark Souls 1 across 3 platforms sold less than MP1 on the gamecube.

I don't think this is true.

It's also very arguable those games had less competition than SMG. You can't just use the raw sales to say "this game is better than this one, and resonates w/ consumers more" because that isn't the whole picture.

SMG released during a very different gaming landscape than either 3D Land or 3D World. So just using sales alone, I feel, isn't a good enough measure to say the market outright demands the more 2D-style Mario games over the 3D-style ones.

I think the better argument is that attach rate is meaningless for the kind of comparison that's being made.

All it tells us is that more people bought Wii for reasons other than SMG than bought 3DS for reasons other than SM3DL.

In fact, given that the business objective and core design impetus of 3D Land was to broaden the appeal of 3D Mario, the fact that it really just sold as well as other 3D Mario games means it should have been seen as a failure.

edit: Oh wait you're saying something totally different.

Nintendo saying that 3D Mario doesn't sell as well as 2D Mario makes this entire line of argument meaningless. 2D Mario sold better against stronger competition (Sonic) than 3D Mario has ever had (Crash Bandicoot? lol). Galaxy in particular had basically no competition, unless you think that Spyro game that released in 2007 mattered.

Eradicate

Boy have I got news for you.....

tumblr_miuqforNV91s5fo80o1_500.gif

tr1p1ex

IF something sells alot then they tend to find a new idea for it. They never run out of ideas for Pokemon.

If it doesn't sell then ...you either need a super new great idea or need 10 years to pass so its fresh again.

And you have to remember we're talking Nintendo. A million or 2 million seller isn't as impressive to Nintendo as it would be to some much smaller developer/publisher.

I don't empirically disagree with anything you wrote here. But I do want to point something out. There are 101 million Wii owners and 12.59 of them bought Super Mario Galaxy. There are about as many Wii U owners as there are SMG owners. Sales of 3DW represent just over 1/4 of the install base. Considering the install base, the game sold remarkably well, and relatively much better than SMG did. We also have 3DL, which sold 10.6 million copies and 3DS itself has sold 58 million. That install base is quite good as well, and significantly better than SMG's sales. As you said NSMB was the breakaway hit of Wii. So I don't think we can say in a vacuum that SMG is significantly more successfully. By one metric, the 3D series games are actually more successful. All of them are quite critically acclaimed and there's no "CinemaScore" equivalent to use to tell which series is preferred by gamers.

It's also very arguable those games had less competition than SMG. You can't just use the raw sales to say "this game is better than this one, and resonates w/ consumers more" because that isn't the whole picture.

SMG released during a very different gaming landscape than either 3D Land or 3D World. So just using sales alone, I feel, isn't a good enough measure to say the market outright demands the more 2D-style Mario games over the 3D-style ones.

Metroid on NES and Metroid Prime on GameCube (to a lesser extent, I'd say) were already basically Nintendo's Dark Souls equivalents: grittier games targeted at more skilled players.

When I was playing Bloodborne, the masterful Metroidvania-esque map exploration made me think about whether Nintendo would even still be able to produce something as masterfully crafted as BB/Souls nowadays. They've been crapping out 2D games, minigame collections and 3D titles with several cut corners forever now. I guess the closest game on WiiU feeling like a proper, modern 3D adventure for gaming enthusiasts was Bayonetta 2. And that wasn't a Nintendo game. fake edit: and maybe Xenoblade, which I didn't get after bad impressions.

diaspora

It's both. I mean if something sells alot then they tend to find a new idea for it.

If it doesn't sell then ...you either need a super new great idea or need 10 years to pass so its fresh again.

But I mean, this idea that the series doesn't sell is pretty silly or at least it should be to Nintendo. No, it doesn't do Mario or Zelda series numbers but I mean the audience is different imo. I don't know if Sony looked at Demons Souls or Bloodbourne and went meh because it didn't roll Uncharted numbers. Something like 5-6 million units of 3 games in a niche series really isn't bad.

Kaisos

Otherwise you'll end up with the WiiU. I.e. a terribly monotone library which was rightfully rejected by everyone on the market except the most hardcore of the core Nintendo enthusiasts.

Curious as to whether or not you'd be calling the library "monotone" if it had even a single Metroid game.

They never run out of ideas for Pokemon.

Some people would definitely disagree with you there, lol.

But I mean, this idea that the series doesn't sell is pretty silly or at least it should be to Nintendo.

Nintendo is a very brand-centric company.

Whether or not their brands are on a healthy trajectory is hugely important to the long-term health of the company.

It's not at all silly for Nintendo to focus on cultivating evergreen brands that don't add deadweight and risk to their portfolio.

Whether or not their brands are on a healthy trajectory is hugely important to the long-term health of the company.

It's not at all silly for Nintendo to focus on cultivating evergreen brands that don't add deadweight and risk to their portfolio.

They launch with another NSMB some shit goin down, fuck that

Before 10K posted, he said it was nothing big. Everyone else blew it out of proportion. I don't know how getting information that backs up the same stuff we heard sends up red flags especially since we have no idea if 10K got the information from the same sources as others. It's okay to be cautious of positive news but you shouldn't be shitting all over 10K.

Eradicate

Not to get off topic (though that's the name of the game now!), but I really liked the first Metroid Prime. I think the UI elements were amazing, as was how much detail the worlds had. But, they should (funnily enough) take a cue from some of the Alien games and go for some quick thrills and bursts of enemy encounters, more than what they already did. Keep it real moody.

Oh, and with all the scanning. It's awesome to get the story revealed the way they did it, but the scanning got a bit out of hand. They should have Samus, say, enter a ship, get a dying computer with an unfinished message on it trying to get sent out, and then you're left to your devices to go around and figure it out, complete the level, find the weapon, etc.

They just need to tighten and somewhat modernize the style is all. Metroid Prime had so much going for it.

That said, seeing a new 2D Metroid would be great as well, but there's no reason why they couldn't have both.

tr1p1ex

Before 10K posted, he said it was nothing big. Everyone else blew it out of proportion. I don't know how getting information that backs up the same stuff we heard sends up red flags especially since we have no idea if 10K got the information from the same sources as others. It's okay to be cautious of positive news but you shouldn't be shitting all over 10K.

Yep it's right there in Websters....

"shitting all over" : verb

means someone not believing information posted on the internets that you happen to believe.

They launch with another NSMB some shit goin down, fuck that

I agree, but that's more because NSMB is a bad long-term look for 2D Mario, the same way that Toon Link had no business being the course the Zelda series took for like 7 out of the last 10 brand-new Zelda games.

Dead weight and risk to their portfolio? These people paid for Bayonetta 2.

How much did they pay for Bayonetta 2, I wonder?

Eradicate

I agree, but that's more because NSMB is a bad long-term look for 2D Mario, the same way that Toon Link had no business being the course the Zelda series took for like 7 out of the last 10 brand-new Zelda games.

image.php

(I like all the Link styles. And Wind Waker was awesome.)

Face it. The MP franchise just isn't that big. IT doesn't resonate with that many consumers.

Just to illustrate the lunacy of your argument, let's try a few supplements here:

"Face it. The Forza franchise just isn't that big. IT doesn't resonate with that many consumers."

"Face it. Soccer just isn't that big (in America). IT doesn't resonate with that many consumers, therefore it shouldn't exist."

The first one is literally your comment but supplements it w/ a franchise I'd say is comparable to Metroid in its genre. The latter is the fuller interpretation of your kind of comment. This should highlight how flawed your logic is.

Fact is, there are plenty of other reasons a franchise, product, anything can and should exist that goes well beyond merely sales. Let sales be the determining factor, and the markets will eventually become creatively flat (which in turn will influence market health and sales).

Metroid's justified its reason for existing outside of sales. Just like many other niche games from other companies (many of them being favorites of mine). Get that sales and marketing sharp-eyed angle outta here!

This is exactly what's hurting them with non-hardcore Nintendo fans, however. They don't do enough to appeal to people outside of their entrenched demographic, a demographic that seems to be getting smaller gen-over-gen.

Stuff like Miimoto, Bayonetta 2 etc. are good starts, but they need to be doing that more often. Metroid could be a great catalyst for this.

Banned

Yep it's right there in Websters....

"shitting all over" : verb

means someone not believing information posted on the internets that you happen to believe.
It's your right to be skeptical. I'm glad you're skeptical. I said it was a rumor and nothing major. But the info you said was already known five days ago, those aren't my sources. When someone like IndieGamerChic posts the NX is more powerful than the PS4, that's one person. She wasn't one of my sources for that post. My info helped corroborate what she and others were saying so it adds some more validity to it.

And nobody was certain on the four Wii U Remasters. In fact, one of my sources admitted he had no idea about Nintendo's struggles porting Splatoon and Mario Maker over. But that's the kind of reaction you get when you use more than one source. That's why I said Splatoon and Mario Maker were 50/50 right now but smash and Zelda are confirmed. (Yes LegendOfLex, zelda is coming to NX).

The info was verified by two mods, I did my part. It's rumored information from sources that are in positions to know this info or know people who are in positions to know this info. I said it wasn't big information, the members of this forum hyped it up, not me. I set expectations low.

But I'm not here to gain fame, recognition, or your specific approval, or any approval (except from mods :p). Take it or leave it. But don't call it bullshit. I didn't just take a Reddit post and claim it as my own info. I didn't browse 4chan and post some fan fiction or April fools shit.

diaspora

Just to illustrate the lunacy of your argument, let's try a few supplements here:

"Face it. The Forza franchise just isn't that big. IT doesn't resonate with that many consumers."

"Face it. Soccer just isn't that big (in America). IT doesn't resonate with that many consumers, therefore it shouldn't exist."

The first one is literally your comment but supplements it w/ a franchise I'd say is comparable to Metroid in its genre. The latter is the fuller interpretation of your kind of comment. This should highlight how flawed your logic is.

Fact is, there are plenty of other reasons a franchise, product, anything can and should exist that goes well beyond merely sales. Let sales be the determining factor, and the markets will eventually become creatively flat (which in turn will influence market health and sales).

Metroid's justified its reason for existing outside of sales. Just like many other niche games from other companies (many of them being favorites of mine). Get that sales and marketing sharp-eyed angle outta here!

"Face it. Demon Souls just isn't that big. IT doesn't resonate with that many consumers."

Eradicate

People keep doing this, as if it's somehow impossible to like something while simultaneously recognizing that it's doing more harm than good to Nintendo.

? I literally just saw your comment and looked at your avatar and meant no context behind it.

If we want to discuss directions, though, does Zelda HAVE to change styles every game? Just because it happens/ed is reason enough? Mario doesn't really change all the time and that's OK?

LCGeek

formerly sane
And you have to remember we're talking Nintendo. A million or 2 million seller isn't as impressive to Nintendo as it would be to some much smaller developer/publisher.

Which is where them, ea, and plenty of other companies are missing solid opportunities. Then again none of them want to have good devs teams and use money wisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom