• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReyVGM

It's your right to be skeptical. I'm glad you're skeptical. I said it was a rumor and nothing major. But the info you said was already known five days ago, those aren't my sources. When someone like IndieGamerChic posts the NX is more powerful than the PS4, that's one person. She wasn't one of my sources for that post. My info helped corroborate what she and others were saying so it adds some more validity to it.

And nobody was certain on the four Wii U Remasters. In fact, one of my sources admitted he had no idea about Nintendo's struggles porting Splatoon and Mario Maker over. But that's the kind of reaction you get when you use more than one source. That's why I said Splatoon and Mario Maker were 50/50 right now but smash and Zelda are confirmed. (Yes LegendOfLex, zelda is coming to NX).

The info was verified by two mods, I did my part. It's rumored information from sources that are in positions to know this info or know people who are in positions to know this info. I said it wasn't big information, the members of this forum hyped it up, not me. I set expectations low.

But I'm not here to gain fame, recognition, or your specific approval, or any approval (except from mods :p). Take it or leave it. But don't call it bullshit. I didn't just take a Reddit post and claim it as my own info. I didn't browse 4chan and post some fan fiction or April fools shit.

Stop defending yourself and ignore those people. Every ten pages or so you've had to repeat the same explanation over and over.
It's just the Cassandra syndrome, there's nothing you can do.

? I literally just saw your comment and looked at your avatar and meant no context behind it. Not everyone in this thread is trying to attack people.

And the comment about Wii U?...I don't even own one. But again, keep in your head and think everyone is attacking you all the time. Some people just want to enjoy their time online, believe it or not.

I've seen varying flavors of people quoting the avatar and never know quite what to make of it when someone else does it, I guess!

(Yes LegendOfLex, zelda is coming to NX).

It was never my intention to sow doubt about this! Just to say that I don't think there are enough known quantities (even if/though Zelda is coming to NX, pretty much everything about it is an unknown quantity, including whether it's good or whether it will be accepted as an authentic Zelda game) to make a purchase decision yet.

Instro

The first one was almost an outlier. It was an event for Nintendo fans "omg Metroid is back in 3D". We've seen since that there was a general drop off between the one time consumer and the dedicated consumer. Granted, maybe the games could have been designed differently and garnished more excitement.

Possibly, but its not like Nintendo hasn't mismanaged their franchises before. See FE for example.

diaspora

It's your right to be skeptical. I'm glad you're skeptical. I said it was a rumor and nothing major. But the info you said was already known five days ago, those aren't my sources. When someone like IndieGamerChic posts the NX is more powerful than the PS4, that's one person. She wasn't one of my sources for that post. My info helped corroborate what she and others were saying so it adds some more validity to it.

And nobody was certain on the four Wii U Remasters. In fact, one of my sources admitted he had no idea about Nintendo's struggles porting Splatoon and Mario Maker over. But that's the kind of reaction you get when you use more than one source. That's why I said Splatoon and Mario Maker were 50/50 right now but smash and Zelda are confirmed. (Yes LegendOfLex, zelda is coming to NX).

The info was verified by two mods, I did my part. It's rumored information from sources that are in positions to know this info or know people who are in positions to know this info. I said it wasn't big information, the members of this forum hyped it up, not me. I set expectations low.

But I'm not here to gain fame, recognition, or your specific approval, or any approval (except from mods :p). Take it or leave it. But don't call it bullshit. I didn't just take a Reddit post and claim it as my own info. I didn't browse 4chan and post some fan fiction or April fools shit.

You're talking to a brick wall breh

Eradicate

I've seen varying flavors of people quoting the avatar and never know quite what to make of it when someone else does it, I guess!

Internet forums are big guessing grounds! A lot like this thread! No harm at all!

Also, I've been enjoying your points and all the conversations going on. It's healthy to have all the different opinions! I do wonder why they kept going with "Toon Link" for all the new handheld ones though, for quite a while. Maybe it just looks better on a small screen?

-Horizon-

The only Metroid Prime game I played was 3 and I didn't like it very much. The story didn't get me invested in the world, and environment traversal was tedious. I watched the ending on youtube and that shit was corny as hell. It also gives you way too much health.

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes is one of the best games of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Banned
Stop defending yourself and ignore those people. Every ten pages or so you've had to repeat the same explanation over and over.
It's just the Cassandra syndrome, there's nothing you can do.
I want to. But every page has people saying the same shit over and over. It gets annoying lol.

It was never my intention to sow doubt about this!
;) just teasing.

Internet forums are big guessing grounds! A lot like this thread! No harm at all!

Also, I've been enjoying your points and all the conversations going on. It's healthy to have all the different opinions! I do wonder why they kept going with "Toon Link" for all the new handheld ones though, for quite a while. Maybe it just looks better on a small screen?

They got lucky with an artstyle and charcter design they can scale to their content. Even ALBW link looks kind of weird in the game IMO.

Thanks. I'm glad to be part of the mess of opinions! I could probably do to talk less and listen more, though.

I wish I had the interview on hand, but this was basically the reason. They wanted a style that could be expressed well both in 3D on the console and in less detailed 2D sprites on the handhelds.

;) just teasing.

;p

(I really appreciate all you've contributed to this discussion, btw.)

this is good news

nintendo going for a "secondary console market" (if that even exists) is boring as fuck

fight with the big boys

Nintendo HAS to. Wii was something crazy, but apart from that Nintendo had straightforward gaming on a TV as their main product since the early 80s. It was never about gimmicks, but always about good games, a lot of good games.

Playstation beat them at that in the 90s, all Nintendo can try now is claim that throne again. At the worst they can get Gamecube sales again, but at least that is better than Wiiu sales.

It's your right to be skeptical. I said it was a rumor and nothing major. But the info you said was already known five days ago, those aren't my sources. When someone like IndieGamerChic posts the NX is more powerful than the PS4, that's one person. She wasn't one of my sources for that post. My info helped corroborate what she and others were saying so it adds some more validity to it.

It's much appreciated, you're very transparent about not being a source yourself and and taking everything as a rumor. At least it gives us something to talk about while we are waiting for Nintendo to spill the beans, so what's there to lose :)

Airbar

Neo Member
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes is one of the best games of all time. OF ALL TIME.

I am literally just playing through it for the first time ever and while some things show their age the game as a whole holds up really well. Having a blast with the game. And somehow I'm always reminded of SoulsBorne games lol

tr1p1ex

Just to illustrate the lunacy of your argument, let's try a few supplements here:

"Face it. The Forza franchise just isn't that big. IT doesn't resonate with that many consumers."

"Face it. Soccer just isn't that big (in America). IT doesn't resonate with that many consumers, therefore it shouldn't exist."

The first one is literally your comment but supplements it w/ a franchise I'd say is comparable to Metroid in its genre. The latter is the fuller interpretation of your kind of comment. This should highlight how flawed your logic is.

Fact is, there are plenty of other reasons a franchise, product, anything can and should exist that goes well beyond merely sales. Let sales be the determining factor, and the markets will eventually become creatively flat (which in turn will influence market health and sales).

Metroid's justified its reason for existing outside of sales. Just like many other niche games from other companies (many of them being favorites of mine). Get that sales and marketing sharp-eyed angle outta here!

lol. I posted sales numbers before that.

And we're talking about how MP has a rep as a bigger franchise than it actually is. That's the context you're missing. I agree it's a lot more of a niche title for Nintendo.

And sales numbers, like them or not, are roughly Nintendo's level of motivation to release a franchise in any given generation.

The numbers don't lie. The 11 versions of Metroid released going back to the NES add up to a grand total of 16.7 million units sold. For Nintendo those are relatively small numbers.

-Horizon-

Rather than an FPS action game, I'd rather Nintendo (or Retro) tackle first person adventure / exploration again. Still blows my mind what they managed to accomplish in the prime trilogy.

Nanashrew

Banned
A nice thing about more power is that we may finally see Mario and other Nintendo characters finally be at the level of their official renders.

A nice thing about more power is that we may finally see Mario and other Nintendo characters finally be at the level of their official renders.
46682_02_kirbys-time-run-around-unreal-engine-4.jpg

Nintendo systems will finally be able to run this.

Roo

The models from 3D World, the Olympic Games (surprisingly) and some from Tennis Ultra Smash are already top notch.

A 10K poly Mario model from the next game *drools*

Nanashrew

Banned
Rösti;200993330 said:
Aren't those ray/path traced?

I dunno, but they do keep upping the quality of their renders though. It will just be nice to see how sharp Mario and much of the Nintendo icons and characters will look on a more powerful system.

Ryoku

Rösti;200993330 said:
Aren't those ray/path traced?

Yes, probably. I think he meant that we will finally see those characters at a really detailed level with good image quality. Of course, along with nicer lighting, post processing effects, etc.

It's also of note to mention that Donkey Kong and co. were tessellated on the WIi U. Imagine on a more powerful system :p

NateDrake

All information is rumored until Nintendo or the company in question announces/confirms it. Why are people giving 10k a hard time over this thread & the information shared?

Discomurf

Here' s hoping the rumors about power are true - if so E3 is going to be something else.

Also the rumor about the name being 'Nintendo NEX' is probably false, but I have to admit it would probably be a pretty good name.

They could easily market that - something like...

(N)
Nintendo

(E)
Entertainment

(X)
Across Devices

Sounds like NES.. Its retro, its NEXt -- it could work.

tr1p1ex

I take it all with a grain of salt.

The only Metroid Prime game I played was 3 and I didn't like it very much. The story didn't get me invested in the world, and environment traversal was tedious. I watched the ending on youtube and that shit was corny as hell. It also gives you way too much health.

You picked the worst one to start with lol. If I had only played 3 I sure as hell wouldn't hold the Prime series in as high regard.

georly

Indeed, despite NSMB U being the best in the series by a not insignificant margin, sticking with the same artstyle and music feels like it hurt the titles chances.

it'll do alright. It's mario. A fresh coat of paint will make it stand out like crazy, though. That's what it needs.

Nanashrew

Banned
All information is rumored until Nintendo or the company in question announces/confirms it. Why are people giving 10k a hard time over this thread & the information shared?

Yeah, I don't understand it either. And there are plenty of other rumors that also corroborate this rumor too, including yours about the 4 ports.

There's also LCGeek's post about the CPU being better than the PS4 and XBO's. Though, that's no problem in beating while still keeping cost low now because the new stuff is cheaper now. Not to mention that they have the receipts for their accuracy and leaking Nintendo CPUs from their own threads on beyon3d that they can link to at any time like in the last thread.

Here' s hoping the rumors about power are true - if so E3 is going to be something else.

Also the rumor about the name being 'Nintendo NEX' is probably false, but I have to admit it would probably be a pretty good name.

(N)
Nintendo

(E)
Entertainment

(X)
Across Devices

Problem is they can't go with NEX because there are other things already using that name. It's a cool name though, but could cause issues.

Fess

(N)
Nintendo

(E)
Entertainment

(X)
Across Devices

First NEX and then Super NEX

Do it Nintendo! :D

Not sure if people missed my post on this:
I was thinking, should they make deals with publishers to cut licensing fees for those that jump in early?
Right now, licensing fees are like $10+ per $60 game?
Charging just 50% or less for a big publisher like Ubi or EA to support their systems could result in bigger profits and could make the ports make more financial sense especially while the system needs to prove itself.
If they make the system cross platform play compatible with better ports than ps4 (and their new form of achievements) it could convince consumers to buy on there and publishers to feel better about investing in the platform
Saw some people mentioning it on Twitter as a rumor, while I dont' think that's the case, do you guys think it would be a good idea?
Here's an article of the anatomy of a $60 video game
Mentions that around $7 goes to the platform holders as royalties. For games that sell so many units, I'd think lowering royalties could increase profitability by quite a bit.
Around $27 goes to the publisher while $7 goes to the platform holder. Make it like $32:$2 and you'd need to sell a considerably fewer copies to make the same amount.
Some calculations:
If a game sells a million units on PS4 making $27 per unit sold, if it gets a port to NX at $32 per unit sold it would only need to sell 843,750 to make the same amount.
Even if it sells half as much that's still likely worth investing in.

Yes, and that sucks, because Wind Waker is a much much better game than Twilight Princess.

That's not really relevant to what I said about the impact both games had on Nintendo the company.

Not sure if people missed my post on this:

Saw some people mentioning it on Twitter as a rumor, while I dont' think that's the case, do you guys think it would be a good idea?

I mean, the obvious flaw in the plan is that this would be fairly easy for their competitors to match or undercut.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Have you heard the story of why Wind Waker 2 was canceled and became Twilight Princess?

I have not. Is this true? Because WW is amazing and TP is garbo :( Have a link I can read (then cry)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom