• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meesh

What drew me to Zelda was Wind Waker. It was my first game and I just really liked the look. And my past experience as a kid trying out the MM kiosk and getting freaked out by the transformations did nothing to get me into the series.

EDIT: It was also my first pre-ordered game too so I did get to actually play OoT too!
Your first Zelda being WW is pretty cool, it was sort of a pivotal moment in the series imo in terms of art styles and set a precedent as to what could be achieved and enjoyed visually. For every retelling of the hero there seems to be a new(or relatively new, some similar) art direction...sure they don't have to keep switching it up, but I'm glad they do, I think it adds to the overall theme/feel of the story itself. *sigh* Zelda... Is there a better feel good adventure to get lost in? I doubt it.

Lol, MM... Yeah those transformations were a little dark, heck the whole game was. It was the characters that kept drawing me back, easily one of the most relatable antagonists in Zelda, just a gem of a game. I secretly hope the masks or the Mask Salesman or both come back for the new Zelda :)

Nah, you want the Zelda fanbases heads and how they all kept saying Wind Waker was for babies because of its cutesy art style. Fans demanded that Nintendo go back to the style and feel of OoT. That's what real fan pressure is and not whatever anyone else was saying in the other Zelda rumor thread.

Twilight Princess sold 8.85 million copies, about double Wind Waker's sales.

Sounds like the Zelda fanbase knows what's best for the series they're fans of.

I say this as someone who's quite fond of Wind Waker.

If you want to blame someone for TP feeling like an OoT remake, definitely blame Nintendo. Judging by 2D Mario, nostalgia is their only recipe for the kinds of games that people demand.

First post! :D

How would you all feel if Zelda played very differently on Wii U and NX, to the point that it might feel like you're missing out on something either way?

The only way I think they would play differently is if the NX doesn't have "standard" controls which is something I doubt. I'm probably going to get both versions so it won't affect me either way ;). Anyway, welcome to GAF.

Malus

Orgen said we definitely will get NX news before E3. Whether it's at their earnings release or at a separate event/direct is still up in the air.

edit: so you have a reference: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198876118&postcount=5861

In Orgen We Trust

I hope they reveal it like they revealed the gamecube controller adapter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6o3-gQCVgU

(And TP is awesome, but I never played OoT so it was basically my OoT I guess.)

RedSwirl

Wait people want a realistic-looking Zelda again?

When you look at the series as a whole the OOT/MM/TP style is actually the outlier. Go look at production art for the older Zelda games. WW honestly looks closer to it than OOT does. And I don't even think OOT looked realistic at the time. The lighting was kinda realistic I guess, but the character art and proportions were still very much cartoons, same goes for TP. Zelda has always been more of a storybook setting anyway. It's not Elder Scrolls or Dark Souls in terms of tone.

Plus, the cel-shaded graphics hold up better over time. WW holds up visually better than TP. Hell, Mega Man Legends holds up better visually than almost any other full 3D PS1 or N64 game.

jnWake

Games like F Zero or Pikmin are great launch titles for a Nintendo platform. Maybe they don't sell that much but they have art styles that other Nintendo franchises don't and, as such, can be nice showcases for the power of the platform.

Metroid also applies for this but it's a bigger franchise, at least in the gamers' mindshare.

Yagharek

I wasn't a Zelda fan when Wind Waker was announced so the controversy passed me by aside from seeing EGM mention the new style with a screenshot when it was demoed alongside Metroid I think.

I remember seeing an in store demo of the game about a week before it released. I think that aside from Rez, no game has ever stunned me because of its visual style. It was like a living, breathing cartoon.

Got it day one with the bonus disc because of seeing how fluid it looked. It was just so inviting, and the new Zelda seems to be doing a similar thing albeit in a different style.

Realism is good in many instances, but sometimes a unique style is just as powerful. You only need to look at the history of paintings to see that.

MuchoMalo

Banned
The only way I think they would play differently is if the NX doesn't have "standard" controls which is something I doubt. I'm probably going to get both versions so it won't affect me either way ;). Anyway, welcome to GAF.

I was thinking the opposite, where the GamePad makes a huge difference while NX has either a standard controller, a much smaller screen, or something totally different. And thanks!

ozfunghi

This is the logic to not hurt WiUU sales
They want the most of people buy the game on WiiU

Ofcourse not. From a revenue point of view, it doesn't matter. Both games are available, on their own platform. They could even charge more for the NX version if they chose to, though i doubt they will.

But the real reason they want as much people buying it on NX is because the WiiU is dead anyway and they need to build an NX userbase ASAP. When your new system launches with a brand new Zelda, you better take advantage of it.

n0razi

It would be pretty terrible if a major game console in 2017 didnt beat ps4 specs (jaguar soc and radeon 7850)... mid range smartphones will probably hit those benchmarks in 2017

ReyVGM

And this is why I'm happy it's going to be on NX.

What the...
Now you're happy? A few pages back you were all doom and gloom and didn't even believe the game was going to be on the NX.

edit: I think the idea was originally going to have been a real Wind Waker 2, not a cel-shaded Twilight Princess.

Do you guys forget there was a Wind Waker 2? It's called Phantom Hourglass and it's a direct sequel.
And how do you all know they didn't repurpose that content into Phantom Hourglass?

ozfunghi

Games like F Zero or Pikmin are great launch titles for a Nintendo platform. Maybe they don't sell that much but they have art styles that other Nintendo franchises don't and, as such, can be nice showcases for the power of the platform.

Metroid also applies for this but it's a bigger franchise, at least in the gamers' mindshare.

Also, release them as soon as possible, they can turn into sleeper hits and prove to have legs.

Banned
It would be pretty terrible if a major game console in 2017 didnt beat ps4 specs (jaguar soc and radeon 7850)... mid range smartphones will probably hit those benchmarks in 2017
Sure, if the smartphone looks like this.

Samsung-laptop.jpg

Nanashrew

Banned
Wait people want a realistic-looking Zelda again?

When you look at the series as a whole the OOT/MM/TP style is actually the outlier. Go look at production art for the older Zelda games. WW honestly looks closer to it than OOT does. And I don't even think OOT looked realistic at the time. The lighting was kinda realistic I guess, but the character art and proportions were still very much cartoons, same goes for TP. Zelda has always been more of a storybook setting anyway. It's not Elder Scrolls or Dark Souls in terms of tone.

Plus, the cel-shaded graphics hold up better over time. WW holds up visually better than TP. Hell, Mega Man Legends holds up better visually than almost any other full 3D PS1 or N64 game.

Overall market really loves realism. It doesn't help there is perception that cartoons are something only kids watch or play while live action and more realistic looking stuff are more adult.

Unique art styles can be just as powerful, if not more than some attempts at realism. The phrase, do not judge a book by its cover comes to mind. Also there are so many more styles out there besides realism too. So many. There are a ton of things yet to be explored visually.

As you said, if you want F-Zero to sell you need to make it a graphical showcase and release it besides the console. As much as I love F-Zero, thats the truth, the game is not going to sell that well if you put in the middle of the generation with a bunch of other games, futuristic racers dadly do not sell that well, no matter how good they are.
Making it a graphical showcase is what attracts people who are not lifetime fans. "Look at those fancy graphics!" "Im going to get an NX with that game becuase it looks so good." Thats what you want people to see, if after that the game then plays like a marvel (like GX but without batshit rubberbanding) and has a great online component the rest falls into place. Maybe you can get a nice little million at the end of its lifetime for a minor franchise.
And thats not only F-Zero, other Nintendo games will sell pretty well if they are graphical showcases at release. Metroid is another (alhtough it would still sell better than F-Zero if you put it at the right time and not only on release), Pikmin would be another.

Nanashrew

Banned
If Nintendo ever makes a new F-Zero again, I want them to go back to their comic book art style from the N64. With today's systems, that sort of technique should be completely possible with 3D graphics.

Nomura said no KH3 on Wii U because it lacked DX11. I remember a lot of people being a bit angry about that pointing at DX11 games being ported (they never were)
Can we assume that the NX will be using DX12? It's he latest feature set.
(DX equivalent)

Meesh

If Nintendo ever makes a new F-Zero again, I want them to go back to their comic book art style from the N64. With today's systems, that sort of technique should be completely possible with 3D graphics.
Hmm... I wonder how F-Zero would benefit from the visual style of say, Frank Miller. An edgy, gritty racer...

MuchoMalo

Banned

The hyperbole is real.

Everything seems to be pointing to a 2016 launch. At this point, every rumor would have to be false for it to be 2017. Well, that or a delay.

Are you asking for one or are you going to be giving one?

Thraktor has written two nice long posts in the other thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200627356&postcount=4434

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200252918&postcount=1968

I want to give one. More GPU-focused than CPU though, and without completely ruling out 14nmFF. I doubt that it's possible, but it would still be fun to consider what could happen. I'm sure that Nintendo would have used Polaris if Wii U could have made it another year.

Nomura said no KH3 on Wii U because it lacked DX11. I remember a lot of people being a bit angry about that pointing at DX11 games being ported (they never were)

Well, only XBox uses any form of DirectX. :p In terms of feature set, it'll be the same as current consoles since the architecture is basically the same. Most likely using some form of Vulkan.

Kouriozan

Looks like it only need to support UE4 and Square Enix will be happy to port their games.

Schnozberry

Direct X is a proprietary Microsoft API. Nobody will support it in the console space except the Xbox. The GPU in the NX will support DirectX 12 features, but it'll likely be running some variant of the Vulkan Graphics API.

ozfunghi

I want to give one. More GPU-focused than CPU though, and without completely ruling out 14nmFF. I doubt that it's possible, but it would still be fun to consider what could happen. I'm sure that Nintendo would have used Polaris if Wii U could have made it another year.

Interesting. Are you a programmer or what's your background. If you know what you're talking about, i'll be happy to read it ;)

... and Pilotwings. Because I love Pilotwings.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Interesting. Are you a programmer or what's your background. If you know what you're talking about, i'll be happy to read it ;)

Nah. I'm just a computer nerd that likes to analyze things lol. I'm looking at the rumors and analyzing what Nintendo's goals might be. Honestly, PS4k is the stranger case here. Polaris 11 doesn't really seem like it would meet their needs, so something seems off there. Could both of them be using completely custom core configs?

TP's dungeons are series GOAT. No shitty triforce hunt either.

Having just replayed iy, the game is seriously amazing. Everything from the final bug hunt (because you explore such a huge Chuck of the map while doing it) all the way to the end of temple of time is fucking amazing pacing and design.

maxcriden

It's also very arguable those games had less competition than SMG. You can't just use the raw sales to say "this game is better than this one, and resonates w/ consumers more" because that isn't the whole picture.

SMG released during a very different gaming landscape than either 3D Land or 3D World. So just using sales alone, I feel, isn't a good enough measure to say the market outright demands the more 2D-style Mario games over the 3D-style ones.

I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, haha. Sorry. To be clearer, though, what I meant is that you can look at the sales one way and see SMG as a huge success or an indication of what gamers want, or another way entirely and see 3DW that way. I probably didn't articulate that as well earlier, sorry. So I do agree completely with what you wrote. Sales alone don't tell us too much. Though on the Wii at least, which had a base with many more casual gamers in it, I think we can say NSMB was of more appeal t the base than SMG, right? Simply for that system's userbase. That alone can't tell us how a future Mario entry will do on a different Nintendo system, though, and I think this is in line with what you said. :)

MuchoMalo

Banned
I know about DX being a Xbox/PC thing. I meant the equivalent.
Remembered after posting but didn't think I needed to clarify it. Oops

Don't worry about that.

In order for Nintendo to not use a DX11-equivalent featureset, they'd need to go back several generations of GPUs. Chances are that AMD has pushed them hard to use GCN 1.2 or 1.3 (Polaris), so there are no worries there. It's also the only way to be more powerful than PS4. It'll be DX12/Mantle/Vulkan-equivalent. 99.9%

RedSwirl

By the way I think OOT and TP are the top-selling Zelda games for other reasons.

OOT was a lot of people's first Zelda game. The franchise's leap to 3D was also perceived as a huge leap forward in 3D gameplay at the time. TP was perceived as the OOT sequel people had always wanted. Not sure how much art direction played into that.

Thank you. That's not necessarily true, though-- look at the LCGeek info, that never got a thread and seems to be some of the best Intel we've gotten. ☺

Very true. I've actually never seen the posts or post itself, and instead have only heard people reference or indirectly paraphrase some of it. I think it has something to do with NX's CPU being said to be relatively more powerful than the PS4 (which feeds into 10k's post). Can anyone provide a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom