• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeyes

Overly complicated for a console audience, and you only need look at the 3G Vita to see why that would never happen (what was it even useful for?) Sure 4G carries more data but you'd need a massive allowance to make any use of streaking data.
Not only that, but the latency would still be noticeable to the point where playing a game like Mario would be awkward.

Eradicate

I don't normally get hyped for hardware launches too much but fuck me I'm checking into this thread too often. The thirst is real!!!

635905005524913542592742362_giphy.gif

That vase is this thread right now.

Jackano

I see what you mean, but I'm honestly unsure if this would seem like a new enough concept to draw much appeal. It's essentially a refined version of the Wii U for people who have both devices. I think there would have to be more to it in order for it to grab people.
Agreed, and I wasn't saying it as the whole picture, but only as a part of it.
That part being, relying on the handheld for two screens gameplay / off-TV.
Other elements could be the shared library (IMO only a part of it) for example.

MrBigBoy

Another idea that I thought of: Nintendo could make and app and some sort of connection that allows a phone to be used as a screen with the controller. Kind of a long shot, but it meshes with other rumors and is the perfect way to keep the price down while ensuring that pretty much everyone will have a screen of some sort.
Microsoft tried this with Smartglass. Unfortunately, it failed.

Wolfie5

I am not going to give into rumors and be hyped for NX. Not after how the Wii U reveal happened at E3 2011 and again at E3 2012 and I somehow got hyped both times, because of the Wii U speculation threads only to be dissapointed.

I do have some thoughts on NX. I think the console will be $299 with a controller that won't cost them so much, that they can't lower the price of the console. They won't make that mistake again.
I am kind of expecting them to have some sort of AR functionality as their gimmick.
Hopefully we get some kind of reveal on what this thing is soon. Tired of waiting and the endless rumors. Some may seem credible, but won't believe anything until reveal.

I am expecting the name of NX at least will be revealed before E3, as third parties would want to announce their games coming for NX at their pressconference or even sooner. Some games do get announced before E3.

In the end, the only "big" expectation I have is that I will be able to play the new Zelda game on NX. Zelda is a system seller for me. Can't believe they haven't revealed the name of the game yet.
Everything else will be a bonus or not for me.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I'm thinking they'll look to doing this, or at least things like it (I'm still wondering if they'll do a small tablet given ideas they've thrown out in patents that I've posted before). They wouldn't need a full-on dedicated handheld, but they could provide shells or whatever that could change the vision for what handhelds are. Provide the ability to do mirroring from the NX to this (using Wii U type technology) and you have a really powerful handheld now! I almost wonder if the SCD things can work for something portable too, like their own handheld/tablet, that is constantly being moved around, especially since power can be drawn remotely!

I don't mean to replace the handheld. The handheld would still exist and could act as a screen controller on its own. This would a cheaper secondary option.

Microsoft tried this with Smartglass. Unfortunately, it failed.

Did they push it as a primary feature, though? Also, Nintendo could allow the NX controller to be used as a controller for Android and iOS, increasing the value of the controller and their mobile games.

Mr Swine

Banned
Would Nintendo really risk losing profits on a new unproven node (14nm) for the GPU if it's Polaris? Wouldn't they be just better of with something old and proven like the ones the PS4 and Xbone are using?

Or does the benefits of using a 14nm GPU outweigh any advantage an older 28nm GPU has other than cost?

Hermii

Would Nintendo really risk losing profits on a new unproven node (14nm) for the GPU if it's Polaris? Wouldn't they be just better of with something old and proven like the ones the PS4 and Xbone are using?

Or does the benefits of using a 14nm GPU outweigh any advantage an older 28nm GPU has other than cost?
My answer would be no way they wouldn't. I don't believe it at all.

MrBigBoy

Also, Nintendo could allow the NX controller to be used as a controller for Android and iOS, increasing the value of the controller and their mobile games.
I like this idea. Kids could get the Nintendo brand in the home without having the console, but their curiosity about Nintendo could be triggered.

The SCD patent seemed to mention two slightly different functions, from what I could tell:

You have the immediate processing power boost from a number of SCDs wired to your console, and then you have the cloud computing function which uses your idle SCD to add processing power to a nearby SCD wirelessly.

Based on the way the patent application is progressing (I work in patents btw) it seems like the inventors are focusing mainly on the wired SCD function, rather than the cloud processing function. This may just be because they want to get more than one patent out there for each different aspect of this particular idea, which is common enough in the patent world, or it may be because the wired processing boost idea actually works, while the cloud processing idea either does not or does not work well at this point, in which case it might be hard to utilize a patent focusing on it.

Also I don't think this patent application is getting granted anytime soon, because right now the claims are fairly broad, and the Examiner is using an old arcade machine which has external processors wired to it as Prior Art, and it seems close to me at this point. This is kinda OT though, because whether or not they get the patent they can still use this tech.

Back to the SCDs in general, from the way the patent is going, I believe they'll be using it initially (if they use it at all) as more or less an expansion pack for the console. It could also be used even at launch if Nintendo/third parties are confident about how well current game engines can scale, and from my limited experience with UE4 and Unity having 2-3 different scaled power levels for one game shouldn't be terribly difficult to implement. If Nintendo has implemented a similar scaling function in their proprietary engines, then this could lend credence to the shared library idea, as well as launching with SCDs effectively boosting the power of the console, the more SCDs you buy.

Could be neat.

Banned
He deleted the tweet after people here could not recognize that it was a rumor from just one source that he could not corrobate yet compared to the information he posted on NeoGAF which was confirmed with multiple sources.
The rumor he heard is that the gamepad does indeed have a screen and is able to connect with the console via remote from anywhere. It's not a fully functional handheld but you can take it with you and play your games from with any WiFi connection.
I have since had two other people confirm this in one way or another. The iffy part is the personal hotspot of the SCD. I may have more solid info later. If I get enough sources, I'll do what I did last time. Verify it with mods, post it as a rumor, and post it in here.

Banned
I know this has been brought up before, but would it be possible that the handheld iteration would be a system which:

- Has its own library of titles, which the console itself can also play;

- But has Remote Play functionality as well, so that you could play the console titles with a WiFi connection?

At the same time, smaller/indie titles are entirely cross compatible, this providing a shared library which doesn’t compromise the home titles?

A kind of ‘best of all words’ scenario?
This is a good way of seeing it. And highly likely.

Also, this controller would not be a direct replacement for the handheld. It would just be a nice add-on feature for the home console.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Still waiting for the most recent events of the SCD patent to see publication.

DrWong

The SCD patent seemed to mention two slightly different functions, from what I could tell:

You have the immediate processing power boost from a number of SCDs wired to your console, and then you have the cloud computing function which uses your idle SCD to add processing power to a nearby SCD wirelessly.

Based on the way the patent application is progressing (I work in patents btw) it seems like the inventors are focusing mainly on the wired SCD function, rather than the cloud processing function. This may just be because they want to get more than one patent out there for each different aspect of this particular idea, which is common enough in the patent world, or it may be because the wired processing boost idea actually works, while the cloud processing idea either does not or does not work well at this point, in which case it might be hard to utilize a patent focusing on it.

Also I don't think this patent application is getting granted anytime soon, because right now the claims are fairly broad, and the Examiner is using an old arcade machine which has external processors wired to it as Prior Art, and it seems close to me at this point. This is kinda OT though, because whether or not they get the patent they can still use this tech.

Back to the SCDs in general, from the way the patent is going, I believe they'll be using it initially (if they use it at all) as more or less an expansion pack for the console. It could also be used even at launch if Nintendo/third parties are confident about how well current game engines can scale, and from my limited experience with UE4 and Unity having 2-3 different scaled power levels for one game shouldn't be terribly difficult to implement. If Nintendo has implemented a similar scaling function in their proprietary engines, then this could lend credence to the shared library idea, as well as launching with SCDs effectively boosting the power of the console, the more SCDs you buy.

Could be neat.
It could indeed be:]
I have since had two other people confirm this in one way or another. The iffy part is the personal hotspot of the SCD. I may have more solid info later. If I get enough sources, I'll do what I did last time. Verify it with mods, post it as a rumor, and post it in here.
Please.

Meesh

Rösti;201047844 said:
Still waiting for the most recent events of the SCD patent to see publication.
I hadn't even noticed the scd thread before this one but I must say it sounds like one of the most crucial aspects of the NX, if not a hardware "revolution" moving forward. :) One of the most exciting aspects to be sure.

So, just to recap because I don't know if I understand everything:

- A SCD is basically a seperated box that can be plugged into the home console

- The SCD has it's own CPU/RAM/GPU and helps to boost the power of the system

- It can also connect to the cloud and use further power and interact in other useful ways (save data, etc.)?

- You can plug in several SCDs into the system?

georly

Also, this controller would not be a direct replacement for the handheld. It would just be a nice add-on feature for the home console.

I *really really* hope it's not the primary controller, again :/ Definitely not gamepad sized. Let's see what happens. As much as *I* personally loved the gamepad, I don't think it's the smartest idea. Make it an optional feature for those who want off-screen play. Wii U proved that only a small handful of games (mario maker, mostly) actually play BETTER with a 2nd screen being mandatory. Make it optional, drive system costs down.

If you want to play mario maker (and make stages), you should probably get the NX handheld or 'screen controller' to play it better. Heck, bundle mario maker with the optional controller.

Zoon

- It can also connect to the cloud and use further power and interact in other useful ways (save data, etc.)?

And you get rewarded (possibly with My Nintendo coins) by sharing your SCD

Oh, that would be interesting to hear! I personally think the SCDs will be primarily used as fancy new expansion packs- the cloud processing stuff seems a bit too unreliable at this stage, although the discussion of it in the patent could certainly be pointing to it used in the future.

Whoa

So what does this all mean?

Modular console? or Handheld can be connected to home console for power boost?

I dont think I am following this new news properly

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

There have been some amendments to the patent in how these devices may connect, but your points are a good summary of the idea.

Here are the two thread I have written so far about this patent:

Original: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1150086
On non-final rejection/amendments: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1168004

orioto

Good Art™
That whole patent was a big fucking mess. I just hope it's not that cause it smells bad communication and misunderstood product for mainstreams.. Really, it's bad.

The_Lump

Banned
That whole patent was a big fucking mess. I just hope it's not that cause it smells bad communication and misunderstood product for mainstreams.. Really, it's bad.

We can't possibly tell this from a patent.

All of that would be dictated by marketing.

Rösti;201048416 said:
There have been some amendments to the patent in how these devices may connect, but your points are a good summary of the idea.

Amendments to the claims are incredibly common in the course of patent prosecution (getting a patent from an application), and I've reviewed this application and the amendments seem rather minor. The claims at this stage are quite broad and I personally believe they will need be refined several more times before the patent can get granted.

Patent apps go through several rounds of rejections and amendments, it's not an indication of whether or not the invention will be used or is novel and unobvious, it's just the way patent law typically works.

Zoon

What would be easier to sell: a 500$ ps4k or a 150$ addon for the PS4?

So, detective-GAF, are these information-snippets helpful?

Nintendo N.E.R.D. job listings:

R&D software engineer on new generation consoles

(...)

Achievements include major contributions in video, media, imaging, cryptography, hardware abstraction... for the Wii U, the 3DS, and other Nintendo platforms.

(...)

As a R&D software engineer, you will work in a small team focused on high value projects.

You will:
• Work on current and future R&D projects
• Add value by inventing new features and solutions
• Keep up with the state of the art of the domains we deal with
• Produce high quality and high performance code
• Produce multi-platform or console code
• Ship and help maintain your code
• Report your progress, and share your expertise with the technical team as a whole

(...)

Required Qualifications
• Expertise in C++ programming
• Experience in implementing real-time algorithms using low-level features of the hardware
• Ability to clearly communicate technical ideas and issues in English

Experience in one or more of the following fields
• Signal processing
• Compression
• Multi-core, GPGPU, or heterogeneous computing
• Language theory and compiler technology
• Advanced rendering
• Low level optimization, reverse engineering
• Advanced math
• Game development, especially on consoles
• PhD. or exceptional expertise in some related field
http://www.nerd.nintendo.com/files/NERD_Console_Software_Engineer_2.pdf

Platform Software Developer

(...)

As a software engineer, you will work in a small team focused on high value projects. You will :
• Work on R&D projects for current and future product generations
• Design new system features, and create prototypes
• Connect with stakeholders within the group, to identify opportunities and drive adoption
• Develop, optimize, document, ship and maintain high quality and high performance code
• Integrate new modules into sophisticated embedded systems
• Keep up with the state of the art of the domains we deal with
• Report your progress, and share your expertise with the technical team as a whole

(...)

Required Qualifications
• Expertise in C++ and C programming
• Building native libraries on devices such as consoles, smartphones, tablets, TVs, set‐top boxes
• Expe rience in modifying, profiling and troubleshooting complex systems
• Ability to communicate technical ideas and issues clearly, in English

Valued Additional Skills and Experience
• Experience of system software (drivers, services) on Linux, Android, iOS, or other mobile OS...
• Implementing real‐time algorithms using low-level features of the hardware
• Programming in privileged modes e.g. task scheduling, paging, hypervision, TrustZone...
• Hands‐on knowledge of security architectures, attacks and piracy countermeasures
• Advanced knowledge of media formats, frameworks, and streaming technologies
• Serious involvement in the dynamics of a developer community (open source or proprietary) : core APIs, middleware, tools, online services, support..
http://www.nerd.nintendo.com/files/NERD_Platform_Software_Developer_2.pdf

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Amendments to the claims are incredibly common in the course of patent prosecution (getting a patent from an application), and I've reviewed this application and the amendments seem rather minor. The claims at this stage are quite broad and I personally believe they will need be refined several more times before the patent can get granted.

Patent apps go through several rounds of rejections and amendments, it's not an indication of whether or not the invention will be used or is novel and unobvious, it's just the way patent law typically works.
I know, and I believe there is a disclaimer in the original thread about this (though not as detailed).

I spoke to the inventor, Joe Bentdahl, briefly a while ago and he described this as "a dream that is almost a finished patent".

Yeah, I’m kinda feeling that’s what we should expect, and anything above that would be a surprise.

Nintendo is almost bound to down use Wi-Fi Remote Play as a bare minimum for the handheld (or full screen controller, if it’s that). Wii U showed their keen on the idea, Sony proved it’s entirely viable, and Nintendo’s handheld ethos is obviously strong (on top of the internal dev teams merging and the shared OS).

As cool as it would be for the library to be totally, 100% shared across two devices, it just seems too much of a big issue to implement without big compromises to either cost or hardware.

I honestly feel that, for all intents and purposes, NX will be essentially the Wii U ethos of thinking, taken to the next level, plugging the gaps exposed by that system’s relative failure. So:

- More power/competitive power, easier dev tools

- Remote Play with the handheld, which (as you and many other have suggested) can also act as a controller for the home version of the system

- The ability to play NX handheld titles in some way

- A stronger, and larger library of games out of the gate (bolstered by the Wii remasters you’ve mentioned)

- Stronger connectivity with mobile devices

- A slicker OS

While the handheld may be essentially:

- A more powerful Vita, with it’s own library of titles

- Access to Nintendo’s own mobile games (e.g. Miitomo) with easier dev tools for Android ports

- Connectivity to mobile devices

- Connectivity to the NX home console and WiFi enabled Remote Play (for both games and entertainment)

In short, mixing the philosophy courted with Wii U, with power and connectivity of PS4 and PS Vita.

Eradicate

I don't mean to replace the handheld. The handheld would still exist and could act as a screen controller on its own. This would a cheaper secondary option.

Did they push it as a primary feature, though? Also, Nintendo could allow the NX controller to be used as a controller for Android and iOS, increasing the value of the controller and their mobile games.

It would make for a great secondary option! But, though they dominate the handheld market, I just think they'll go about it in a new way, especially with things like SCDs, branching into the smartphone market, and that great streaming tech they built up with the Wii U to consider. There was some comment Iwata made about the systems being brothers and that NX would absorb Wii U architecture. Aside from freaking everyone out initially (again with the power arguments!), I'm inclined to think they mean the streaming thing and/or how the Gamepad is kind of like a "home handheld." Who knows where they'll go with it all though!

GAF when NX patents leak

spongebob-the-map-o.gif

LOL!!! So true!

Rösti;201048922 said:
I know, and I believe there is a disclaimer in the original thread about this (though not as detailed).

I spoke to the inventor, Joe Bentdahl, briefly a while ago and he described this as "a dream that is almost a finished patent".

I want his dream to come true!!! I saw it on Star Hill.

Also, Rösti, I've been looking trying to find out where Nintendo's investor meeting will be held. No luck yet. Also, AMD has a meeting coming up on April 21.

Mr Swine

Banned
What would be easier to sell: a 500$ ps4k or a 150$ addon for the PS4?

Wouldn't the cost of adding a new port to the NX not jack up the price for the console? Either way, it would be cool if the SCD could work on both home console and handheld lol

Rösti;201048922 said:

That's great! It looks like they had an interview with the Examiner before filing the amendments, so hopefully they came to a good agreement there. But typically there's a huge gap between what the inventor wants the patent to cover and what the patent attorney they've hired has specifically put down in the claims, so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this doesn't get granted soon, but I'll hope for the best!

But again whether or not it gets patented is largely off topic.

Does anyone think engine scaling features are advanced enough to be able to support a modular console? Say, do we think a AAA game on UE4 could be tooled to support 3-4 distinct power levels? For instance, Handheld, Console, Console + 1 SCD, Console + 2 SCDs?

If that is something that's possible, and that Nintendo has worked out with third party devs as well as their own engine programmers, I think that's a very unique hook they can offer: having a super high spec console while also offering a low power, very low cost point of entry.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Also, Rösti, I've been looking trying to find out where Nintendo's investor meeting will be held. No luck yet. Also, AMD has a meeting coming up on April 21.
Thanks for the notice. I was aware of AMD's Annual Meeting of Shareholders on May 12, but hadn't seen the listing of Q1 2016 AMD Earnings Call until now.

Yeah, the venue of Nintendo's FY 2015 Financial Results Briefing seems to be a bit difficult to find out. As I mentioned earlier, the news conference on April 27 will likely be at Osaka Stock Exchange. It's not as big as the results briefing but could provide some NX details still. It's after all an opportunity for press etc. to ask Mr. Kimishima questions.

Hmm I am really not sure about this one.
Are we talking about spending $600-800 for the highest end configuration? The idea of a second tier is enough to drive everyone crazy in the xboxOne and psk4 threads, here we're talking multiple further tiers.

I've never really liked that patent though, suggesting you get high quality AI which falls back to lower quality Ai if you lose the signal does not excite me.

Peterc

@ 10k & Rösti

It's nice to hear about the games or console power of NX.
The patent that allows the console to get more power by cloud connection would be amazing.

To play nx console games using wifi is something i wouldn't use allot.
I buy every handheld from N, but mostly play @ home and not outside.

Beside power/hybrid, we don't know what nx will offer that will provide a new way of gameplay. Do one of you heard something about it what it could be? All leakers that i've read is only posting about the power or some small changes in the controller. But not about what new gameplay we can expect.

Something like this:
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/is-this-crazy-nintendo-patent-for-nx-3d-on-any-tv.454652409/

It's a kind of weird that no leakers are talking about it, while Iwata made it clear that this is their first priority to find some way of new gameplay that wlll provide a new experience of playing games.Somethinjg special.

If I were to crack a guess:
First dude can be working on OS features, second dude would likely be working on the OS itself.

The mention of trust zone means that this is likely confirmed as an AMD apu affair, and that said apu may be x86 with the embedded arm cortex a5 chip to enact the trust zone technology mentioned in that listing. That's if this listing corroborates what it says (working on their next generation platform).

The mention of Linux is interesting in the OS sense. The mention of "hypervision" could mean talk of a hypervisor, the same way xbone compartmentalizes its OS/security layer on top of that hypervisor. The mention of iOS/android could certainly also gel with the fact that Nintendo has expanded their software horizons into mobile and that somehow plays with whatever vision they have with their console as well.

Or it could all mean nothing.

MrBigBoy

@ 10k & Rösti

The patent that allows the console to get more power by cloud connection would be amazing.

Beside power/hybrid, we don't know what nx will offer that will provide a new way of gameplay. Do one of you heard something about it what it could be? All leakers that i've read is only posting about the power or some small changes in the controller. But not about what new gameplay we can expect.

Something like this:
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/is-this-crazy-nintendo-patent-for-nx-3d-on-any-tv.454652409/

It's a kind of weird that no leakers are talking about it, while Iwata made it clear that this is their first priority to find some way of new gameplay that wlll provide a new experience of playing games.Somethinjg special.
That patent has been duscussed multiple times. We really don't know if Nintendo will use it.

bomblord1

Banned

The biggest thing I see here is they are specifically listing hardware abstraction which means the patents are not just random fluff patents that never see the light of day like Nintendo does but are actually being actively worked on.

Zoon

Wouldn't the cost of adding a new port to the NX not jack up the price for the console? Either way, it would be cool if the SCD could work on both home console and handheld lol

I'm not a tech guy but I believe something like a USB 3.1 would have enough speed to send that data if we assume that the alternative would be to use the cloud.

@ 10k & Rösti

Something like this:

I've been speculating that there will be an eye or head tracking component to the NX. This patent app and even the new 3DS are proof that Nintendo has been using eye tracking technology, and I think it's become a relatively mature and cheap technology. Hardware wise all you'd really need is a camera and positional sensors, with the bulk of the work being in the eye tracking software.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that the increase in CPU over the PS4 which LCGeek shared with us could indicate that some of the CPU is going to be reserved for non-gaming functions, especially if Sony is considering launching the PS4K without an updated CPU. It wouldn't really make sense to have a much better CPU than the competition if the whole point of power parity is to make life easier on third parties.

ozfunghi

Not if we beat you to it!
Kidding.

That's a funny name for a gpu.

The perfect codename for Nintendo to use in the future would be "weak-ass".

When leaked, people would be talking about the weak-ass CPU/GPU.

I've been speculating that there will be an eye or head tracking component to the NX. This patent app and even the new 3DS are proof that Nintendo has been using eye tracking technology, and I think it's become a relatively mature and cheap technology. Hardware wise all you'd really need is a camera and positional sensors, with the bulk of the work being in the eye tracking software.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that the increase in CPU over the PS4 which LCGeek shared with us could indicate that some of the CPU is going to be reserved for non-gaming functions, especially if Sony is considering launching the PS4K without an updated CPU. It wouldn't really make sense to have a much better CPU than the competition if the whole point of power parity is to make life easier on third parties.
Speaking of this, Nintendo NERD helped to develop this:

October 2014 - NERD teams up with hardware experts in Japan to deliver
"super-stable 3D" on the New Nintendo 3DS.

The first generation Nintendo 3DS, launched in February 2011
in Japan, was equipped with an autosstereoscopic screen,
allowing a user perfectly centered with the device to view
stereoscopic images without the use of any additional headgear,
thanks to a parallax barrier screen.

The New Nintendo 3DS, launched in October 2014 in Japan,
uses a new "super-stable 3D" screen that redefine the sense
of immersion and comfort offered by 3D displays.

Our team of software engineers created a new technology that
take full advantage of the New Nintendo 3DS system’s dynamic
parallax barrier, by tracking the user's face with the internal
camera and infrared LED to adjust the screen accordingly. To
further improve the user experience and react to faster motion,
it leverages on several technologies including machine
learning, adaptive prediction, sensor fusion, etc. In the end,
it provides 3D viewing with a significantly wider range
compared to the original 3DS.

For this thrilling project, NERD's software team developed a
close cooperation with Japanese colleagues in charge of the
hardware.
http://www.nerd.nintendo.com/

Banned
Yeah, I’m kinda feeling that’s what we should expect, and anything above that would be a surprise.

Nintendo is almost bound to down use Wi-Fi Remote Play as a bare minimum for the handheld (or full screen controller, if it’s that). Wii U showed their keen on the idea, Sony proved it’s entirely viable, and Nintendo’s handheld ethos is obviously strong (on top of the internal dev teams merging and the shared OS).

As cool as it would be for the library to be totally, 100% shared across two devices, it just seems too much of a big issue to implement without big compromises to either cost or hardware.

I honestly feel that, for all intents and purposes, NX will be essentially the Wii U ethos of thinking, taken to the next level, plugging the gaps exposed by that system’s relative failure. So:

- More power/competitive power, easier dev tools

- Remote Play with the handheld, which (as you and many other have suggested) can also act as a controller for the home version of the system

- The ability to play NX handheld titles in some way

- A stronger, and larger library of games out of the gate (bolstered by the Wii remasters you’ve mentioned)

- Stronger connectivity with mobile devices

- A slicker OS

While the handheld may be essentially:

- A more powerful Vita, with it’s own library of titles

- Access to Nintendo’s own mobile games (e.g. Miitomo) with easier dev tools for Android ports

- Connectivity to mobile devices

- Connectivity to the NX home console and WiFi enabled Remote Play (for both games and entertainment)

In short, mixing the philosophy courted with Wii U, with power and connectivity of PS4 and PS Vita.
We share the exact same ideas of what Nintendo is going for with the NX platform. Good stuff.

Hmm I am really not sure about this one.
Are we talking about spending $600-800 for the highest end configuration? The idea of a second tier is enough to drive everyone crazy in the xboxOne and psk4 threads, here we're talking multiple further tiers.

I've never really liked that patent though, suggesting you get high quality AI which falls back to lower quality Ai if you lose the signal does not excite me.

I think the main difference between this modular SCD idea and the iterative XB1.5/PS4k ideas is that there doesn't have to be more than a single base console. They can sell one base console with <XB1 power for, lets say, $250 or even $200, and then sell additional SCDs which hardwire into the base console like expansion packs for less than $100, or maybe more than $100, I really would have no idea because there isn't really a point of reference for this type of modular console.

But the point is there is still a single base console, and people who buy that wouldn't get left in the rain by the SCDs, since they can choose to upgrade by spending $100, not have to replace their old console by spending $400 or so.

The real question regarding this is how well do modern game engines scale, and could they allow a wide-ish range of power levels for a majority of the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom