• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If they can truly stream the information from the console without lag (unlike PS3 remote play) then this is what I consider to be a huge deal.

Vinci

Danish
BY2K said:
If all these are true... if...

Good Lord.

Hang onto your butts.

gundamkyoukai said:
So was the french site was right , cause they had that .
If that is true then the spec are not that great and PS4 and Xbox 360 eat Wii HD alive.

Dude, are you paying attention? Who gives a damn about the specs anymore?!

Vagabundo said:
That should be your tag quote, but I doubt these Yanks would get the reference. :D

Knowing my luck, I'd end up with:

Cosmonaut X
Will take you to his Thirteenth Floor
(Today, 10:12 PM)
Reply | Quote | Edit/Del

...and everyone would just assume it was some weird sex reference ;-)

KAL2006

Banned
This is my shitty mock up, the controller won't be that big, they can easily make it around the size of NGP with handles

NXl7i.jpg

EDIT, switch Dpad with analog on the left side, you can detach the left side and use it as a Nunchuck for WiiMote

pirata said:
Yeah, I was holding up my hands to the ruler thing posted earlier, and figured out that the controller would have to almost as wide as my laptop. Either there's some really weird miscommunication going on right now, or this is going to be the weirdest thing ever.

Put in a slide or fliptop and it ceases to be the weirdest thing ever.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Whaaat. Nintendo is doing what I expected Sony to do? Holy hell.

Now only Sony needs to perfect remote play with the NGP and gaming is cool again.

Vamphuntr

So they are copying the PSP? The streaming part sure seems like it. And people complained when MS and Sony copied the wiimote and made it better.

apana

Say what you want about Matt Castlevania, but at least he wasn't a total clown like the people who currently run IGN.

batbeg

Zeliard said:
Unless ol' Jim is trolling people via the French site link, it actually seems to match up. From 01.net:

controller specs : 6-inch screen, single touch (so no multitouch, it seems), front camera, acts as a wii sensor bar, has a d-pad, two bumpers, two triggers, possibly more.
Not particularly impressed by it acting like a sensor bar, as I have a lighter that does the same thing at my house. That point doesn't even make sense.

Tron 2.0 said:
It's weird to me that all of these websites dropped Wii-successor info at the same time. It feels like a coordinated leak.
Well, it's not like it's a coincidence. Once one place decided they were confident enough to turn the rumblings into an article, the others had to post what they heard quick or seem irrelevant.
Chittagong said:
Where's Gakman? We need to see his scribbles, he called the Wiimote iirc. I think he has been pitcing a console/portable hybrid for a while now.
Hahaha, yeah, I was thinking these speculations were lacking something without him around anymore, too. Given it's been forever since he's been around and his tag still says banned, though, it must be a permanent one.
Chittagong said:
so a CONTROLLER with two analog sticks, and a SIX inch screen (PSP is 4"). That's roughly to scale

http://www.wiikeyboard.com/img/gamecube-keyboard-controller.jpg
Ahaha. I had the same image ready before seeing you beat me to it.

Orayn

This just seems completely impractical. It cannot be the only controller for the system. Three permutations, maybe?
1. Plain old dual analog (for use with TV)
2. Dual analog with screen
3. Wiimote + Nunchuk (for use with TV or controller 2)

offshore

This controller has buttons though right?

I can't think of anything more off-putting than trying to play games on a controller that sounds like it amounts to a landscape iPod Touch.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
sounds pretty much exactly like what i'd expect. i saw it coming all along. called it in a thread which has been excised from public record.

now accepting compliments.

Tobor

Nintendo-4Life said:
6 inch screen? Could it possibly be like the IGN article where the console itself (i know it says controller but I just can't even begin to comprehend that) would have a screen and would be portable?

That's what I'm starting to think. It's the only way this all makes sense.

batbeg said:
Not particularly impressed by it acting like a sensor bar, as I have a lighter that does the same thing at my house. That point doesn't even make sense.

Makes sense once you dock the controller/console and pick up your seperate motion controls.

MisterHero

I hope Starfox for Wii 2 has 1000 players vs 1000 players Online

actually I would enjoy that for Star Wars Battlefront for Wii 2

The console on a controller stuff reminds me of that system Nintendo released in China.

Of course now it really does seem like this is all one big hoax.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amir0x said:
and where are the motion control attachments!?

The left/right bits could snap on/snap off? If they have a good, simple, seamless snapping mechanism with magnets or something...

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
gofreak said:
The streaming would just be an obvious side effect of a) a large-ish screen on the controller and b) a wireless connection to the console. But not the main reason for it, necessarily - that'll be the other applications and interplay with the console they presumably have planned, which could include social play etc. etc.

But it's not as if Nintendo's averse to changes in focus anyway...

There are roots of this in previous work they've done, and we've seen how sometimes Nintendo doesn't just let ideas drop.

The large screen sounds bullshit, as does the game-streaming which is a side-effect of people thinking it has a big screen and joining the dots.

Connectivity has produced exactly 2 good uses, it does not justify massively increasing the cost of the controller, making them far more fragile, and killing the battery life of them. Nintendo haven't even done rechargeable controllers. I hardly think their first use of them would have so many downsides. Also such a large controller throws motion controls and the iconic remote out the window, thinking they are going to have complicated (and inherently fragile) pull-apart controllers is again very un-Nintendo.

All other applications of social gaming between multiple devices are better served by the 3DS. Why we have had this sudden explosion of rumours is hard to explain, but the more they continue the more it sounds like Chinese whispers that are getting far away from what the system and controller will end up being.

evangd007

JimWood27 said:
These controller rumors...I don't even...what is this thing gonna look like

All I know is pointer controls better not be gone

Personally, I think they are going to make the controller modular, like what they intended for the Wii. They fully intended for things that weren't the nunchuck to be plugged into the Wiimote, but it never happened.

Tron 2.0 said:
It's weird to me that all of these websites dropped Wii-successor info at the same time. It feels like a coordinated leak.

It just seems strange that, with Nintendo's notorious secrecy, we are hearing so much about this new system. Specifically the controller.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of it all.

According to GI, everyone was sitting on the rumors and only started posting their versions once GI posted theirs first. Evidently GI broke some sort of "gentleman's agreement" that nobody would act on the info from their sources until Nintendo gave a press release about it.

KAL2006

Banned
Amir0x said:
and where are the motion control attachments!?

the motion control is your old WiiMote, the controller will also have motion control too, and you can detach the left side to use as a nunchuck

Tobor said:
That's what I'm starting to think. It's the only way this all makes sense.

Makes sense once you dock the controller/console and pick up your seperate motion controls.

But a console with only a 6 inch screen? NO thanks.

Amir0x

Banned
KAL2006 said:
the motion control is your old WiiMote, the controller will also have motion control too, and you can detach the left side to use as a nunchuck

are they including a WIi motion controls with every Wii HD?

Cause if not all that means is that motion control gaming IS effectively dead altogether on the Wii HD. Very few people will utilize a peripheral that is not in every system. Wii proved this time and time again with all the underutilized peripherals Nintendo kept adding after the fact

antonz

Stephen Colbert said:
A 6 inch HD touch screen with dual analog sticks!!

I would gladly pay $399 just for that controller

If it also functioned as a GBA 2/NGP
French are saying its not actually a High Def screen. Just a 6" Screen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DECK'ARD said:
The large screen sounds bullshit, as does the game-streaming which is a side-effect of people thinking it has a big screen and joining the dots.

Connectivity has produced exactly 2 good uses, it does not justify massively increasing the cost of the controller, making them far more fragile, and killing the battery life of them. Nintendo haven't even done rechargeable controllers. I hardly think their first use of them would have so many downsides. Also such a large controller throws motion controls and the iconic remote out the window, thinking they are going to have complicated (and inherently fragile) pull-apart controllers is again very un-Nintendo.

All other applications of social gaming between multiple devices are better served by the 3DS. Why we have had this sudden explosion of rumours is hard to explain, but the more they continue the more it sounds like Chinese whispers that are getting far away from what the system and controller will end up being.

Of course it could be wrong, but we've two sites apparently independently confirming that (the screen size). Along with a third confirming a screen.

So, go figure...

The ruler posted above measure 9.5" on my LCD, wtf?

Anyways, how much would such a controller cost to manufacture? $100? 6" sounds insane.

Orayn

J-Rock said:
So who here thinks Nintendo is crazy enough to release this thing this holiday season?
ZXkpo.gif

Nintendo does two things: Crazy shit no one could have expected, and making devices that print money.

The only way I can see this working now is if the screen is the front of the controller, with the buttons on the reverse. That would give you something around the width of a 360 pad, but I'm not sure what you would do with the analogues - through the screen?

Can't see how you could get more accurate motion control in there given a tablet-ish form factor, though (or pointer control for that matter...)

J-Rock said:
So who here thinks Nintendo is crazy enough to release this thing this holiday season?

Depends how far along they actually are with development. In a perfect situation, they'd reveal it at E3 and Reggie would say, "Oh by the way, look for it in stores this holiday season." Of course that's a huge stretch, but it would be an insane way of building up hype.

Vinci said:
Dude, are you paying attention? Who gives a damn about the specs anymore?!

Why the fuck would i want to stream content to my control like mini TV .
Also 6inch screen how big is this thing going to be along with analog sticks and everything else.
yeah Wii HD now with xbox 360 specs in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom