• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Vinci said:
Nintendo has always made comfortable controllers. I doubt this will be an exception, though it IS odd as hell sounding.

Yes, but I can not think of a single imaginable way a controller with dual analogs, d-pad, a tablet sized screen, etc etc would be comfortable. It'd be huge, unwieldy, heavy, unbalanced. There's just no conceivable way.

I think the NES controller was quite uncomfortable. And the N64 controller was a bizarre awful mess. And the Wiimote was comfortable with its split design and when you were holding it like a remote, but it was significantly less comfortable, and less ergonomic and less balanced on its side.

So i don't think it's beyond Nintendo to fuck a controller up.

However, in this case, I don't think Nintendo could put all these pieces together into a comfortable whole even if they tried. This sounds like mission impossible.

woahjeez said:
I truly believe anybody saying Gamecube was better than Wii is trolling. I have more, and in my opinion better, games for Wii. Better Nintendo games and a better range of third party exclusives. Yes Wii had Wii Sports and Wii Fit, but it also had Punchout!!, Sin and Punishment 2 and excellent sequels to just about all of their other major franchises except for Starfox, F-zero and Pikmin

So true. Wii is their best system since the super.

Vinci

Danish
Amir0x said:
Yes, but I can not think of a single imaginable way a controller with dual analogs, d-pad, a tablet sized screen, etc etc would be comfortable. It'd be huge, unwieldy, heavy, unbalanced. There's just no conceivable way.

I think the NES controller was quite uncomfortable. And the N64 controller was a bizarre awful mess. And the Wiimote was comfortable with its split design and when you were holding it like a remote, but it was significantly less comfortable, and less ergonomic and less balanced on its side.

However, in this case, I don't think Nintendo could put all these pieces together into a comfortable whole even if they tried. This sounds like mission impossible.

Then it can't be just one controller; it has to be multiple units or something.

EDIT: If Jim is screwing with us....

Tron 2.0 said:
It's weird to me that all of these websites dropped Wii-successor info at the same time. It feels like a coordinated leak.

It just seems strange that, with Nintendo's notorious secrecy, we are hearing so much about this new system. Specifically the controller.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of it all.

Well, just think about all the leaked info of the "PSP2". Sony denied everything about a psp2, despite the internet being flooded with info about it; then we see the NGP. Now think of Nintendo changing their strategy. They're trying to capture the hardcore market... Which sounds like a pretty big change in strategy to me. So maybe they are trying to change their marketing strategy as well by intentionally letting info leak out.

antonz

KAL2006 said:
Just imagine holding a PSP but the sides come out like a regular controller
I think Kal has the right idea. I think we could see controls on each side of the screen that can be removed. We know even with the 3DS they were tinkering with concepts of removable control parts

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I don't............. seriously someones gotta be pulling our leg.

I keep picturing the Jaguar controller for some reason. This is making my head hurt.

apana said:
Transformer controller

transformers-cellphone.jpg

So the controller is an AT-ST walker?

Tobor

The only way a 6" screen on the controller makes sense is if the controller is the console. That would explain the "wii sensor in the controller" rumor as well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amir0x said:

Well, NGP is supposed to be quite comfy to hold.

These controllers could be something similar in design. But they will be big, and probably pretty expensive if this is all true.

sajj316

lilltias said:
Whatever, if they just launch it with a Super Mario Galaxy HD remake 1080p 60, they can have all of my monies. And I would love them long time.
This and give me Wind Waker and you had me at "rumor".

justchris

Skiesofwonder said:
IGN has updated their Wii 2 article with a confirmation of streaming and the screen being 6 Inches.

Ummmm... Six inches is bigger then DSXL..... WTF is going on?

I don't know, maybe it uses a flexible screen rolled up inside the remote that you pull out and link to the nunchuk when you want to use it? Then it could be just about any size they want to make it. (You link it to the nunchuk so that it doesn't just roll back up.)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amir0x said:
hahahahaha

he has trolled us all

gotta hand it to Jim. Amazing performance.

It's one thing to fuck around on twitter, but I doubt they'd start posting info in their site articles just for lolz...

Zeliard

charlequin said:
Dual analog control is just shy of an abomination for shooter games (which can indeed be improved via pointing control) but it's exceptionally, irreplaceably useful for 2D shooting games (both "twinstick shooters" and side-scrolling platform-shooter games), 3D action games, and a variety of other genres. Getting rid of the second analog stick is an insipid idea.

Totally agreed. My hatred for dual analog is reserved solely for shooters (and general aiming in a 3D environment), but for a number of other genres they're quite nice.

I can't even envision another control scheme I'd rather be using for, say, a game like Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta. I don't even know how you could necessarily better the effectiveness of analog + button configuration for that genre of game. Is there any control input that would better it? Just bettering it with increasingly solid and responsive analog sticks and buttons, basically, but the scheme itself is fairly perfect.

I suppose some would say they'd let the second stick go in those genres and just continually center the camera via a button press, but minute camera control is always a nice thing to have.

maybe its two wii remotes, both with a trigger and analog stick, one with a dpad buttons etc and the other has the whole face as a touch screen?

Duderz

Banned
Vagabundo said:
If this is all true we are looking at multiple controllers here.

Exactly. I'm imagining a scenario where, for example, a Classic Controller Pro is packaged in the system for 3rd party devs in addition to the Wii2remote controller with all this craziness built in.

Orayn said:
New tweet: "Believe."
Jim is in our fucking thread, and he's messing with us.

:lol nevermind well played sir

Tobor

Amir0x said:

Sure there is, it's called the NGP.

Amir0x

Banned
gofreak said:
Well, NGP is supposed to be quite comfy to hold.

These controllers could be something similar in design. But they will be big, and probably pretty expensive if this is all true.

eh, i'll have to wait and see on that but it may function at a basic level but certainly not when you start adding pointers and motion controls to the mix.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Wow I cant even begin to imagine it. Color me intrigued. But I am intrigued like I would be to see a 7 legged giraffe. Dont feel that it will work all that good, but sure want to see it.

Shiggy

disappeared said:
Whatever the controller turns out to be, Nintendo needs to ditch that wired bullshit that was the remote/nunchuk connection. It was awkward as hell.

They need to ditch the nunchuk altogether and make a Motion+ nunchuk.

Vagabundo said:
lol do I get a prize? I suppose you not killing me arbitrarily is good enough.

Arbitrarily? Everything I do is for the good of my residents - even if that means taking a few troublesome GAFers to my THIRTEENTH FLOOR!

;-)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Amir0x said:
hahahahaha

he has trolled us all

gotta hand it to Jim. Amazing performance.

No way. They have an article on the front page with all of his information and the French site said the same thing.

Surely they can't be joshing......

Tobor

Amir0x said:
eh, i'll have to wait and see on that but it may function at a basic level but certainly not when you start adding pointers and motion controls to the mix.

Set the controller in a dock next to your tv and use Wiimotes and nunchucks for the motion controls?

Maybe Gakman was right all along?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom