• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vinci said:
How the hell would I know? All I know is that specs are the least interesting thing right now.

Well yeah the control interesting but if nintendo wanted to get back the hardcore and get ports the specs mean allot .
I don't want another Wii to happen and this is want i am seeing .
New type of control but under power again.

Vinci

Danish
Plinko said:
I really don't think you've done anything in this thread but troll. It's getting old.

I want to stream content to my controller. We only have one gigantic TV in the house. If someone is using it and I want to play a console game this is a fantastic option. And, as always, perfect for the toilet. If it was optional I'd buy one instantly.

What gamers have longed for: An option for #2.

DoomXploder7 said:
i'm pretty sure its more like continue playing within a certain range of wii 2 while someone else is using the tv and/or individual screens for everyone in local multiplayer.

Hmm... Is there enough of a demand for something like that? Making a $100 controller just so someone won't look at my screen in a multiplayer game?

Jikagi

There is so much now that I don't know what to believe. I'm pretty sure that about the system is correct, but I dunno about the controller.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
If the screen thing is entirely just to stream games to portable I wonder how they'll market it to their entire Wii audience

And I still think peripherals will be Nintendo's moneymaker with their next console just like now. Sly bastards. Although Wii controller + classic controller in the same pack would make things too busy and I dunno if Nintendo wants that.

DieH@rd

Banned
Im probably late as hell but...

Update: Sources now confirm to IGN the new Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console, saying it's like a miniature television. The screen size on the controller is also confirmed to be six inches in size.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1162045p1.html

GOD DAMN! Local version of OnLive. This will be great for households with small number of TV screens that are constantly occupied by other house members.

Before 3DS was announced, weren't there rumors of a Nintendo handheld with a screen that extended to the edge of the device?

Seems like that's what's going on here.

There was a great mockup of nsmb with the screen being used to display button functions.
Anyone still have that?

Vinci

Danish
GCX said:
Nintendo's E3 conference thread will be one for the archives, whatever they show or won't show.

REGGIE: Today, gaming changes. Forever.

[reveals the most profoundly convoluted whatchamacallit of all time]

REGGIE: [off] How the hell do I hold it again?

ciD_Vain

i just don't really understand the random timing of this. i mean, i'm all for knowing and all, but it's strange to have this kind of information leaked about Nintendo's stuff.

Emitan

cuevas said:
That's great but have you tried using your ring finger and pinkie like you use your middle and index? Maybe it's because we have trained ourselves over the years but pushing buttons wit those two would suck.
Should have known the guy with a hand for an avatar would see a problem with this :)
I just tried to press fake buttons with my fingers on my nunchuck...and it didn't go well. Darn it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So we've got the French site saying "slightly more power than 360" and developers saying "significantly" more power. I wonder if the French site is having an issue with the chipset names.

Either way, as I said earlier in the thread, I still think we're at the point now with graphics where, to the average consumer, "significantly more power" doesn't matter.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If IGN is corroborating the more 'out there' part of the 01net info, and the OP is laden with IGN stuff, I think the 01net info is worth putting in there... (no?)

Orayn

I'm slowly starting to acquiesce to the idea of a tablet-controller, as long as it's not the only one they're offering.
My brain is not ENTIRELY full of fuck, but it's pretty Goddamn close.

antonz

ciD_Vain said:
i just don't really understand the random timing of this. i mean, i'm all for knowing and all, but it's strange to have this kind of information leaked about Nintendo's stuff.

If the plan was to unveil it at their Investor Conference on the 26th details at this point would be hard to control. GI is told some stuff to sit on til then but lets it out. So at that point other loose lips start saying things because hard to track

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ciD_Vain said:

Not really--Wii sales are down, games are almost nonexistent on the horizon, and an E3 where their competitor is going to do a full showcase of their (what looks to be excellent) new handheld is right around the corner. This is perfect timing.

NEO0MJ

GCX said:
Nintendo's E3 conference thread will be one for the archives, no matter what they show or won't show.

Would be hilarious if it ends like the 2008 E3 with us waiting for something to show up.

likeGdid

Billychu said:
I meant like this:

http://i.imgur.com/Jx1lk.png

There's no room for a screen though, but you can access every button at once while still using both sticks (except for Start, Select, Home and the D-Pad).

Oh I see now. the "four buttons for four fingers" confused me.

Having the main function buttons operated by the fingers might be a bit much of a shift to what everyone is used to, though.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I thought Nintendo was the sane company, but with the 3DS they have proved me wrong. So I don't doubt they're working on garbage like this.

MisterHero

Maybe Nintendo went around to different developers and asked what they wanted. Then the developers told Nintendo, and Nintendo was like, "Oh sure, we can do that!", and then Nintendo decided to fulfill every one of the requests.

This reminds me of a dream Homer Simpson had, where he invented this magic all-in-one device but he couldn't get past the crowd to see what he invented. I feel like that now

justchris

Haha, I just realized we're all fools. We hear six inch screen and think of it in the classical tablet sense of measurement. However, how long is the Wiimote from top to bottom? They could easily make a screen that's 6" long that pops out of the side of the Wiimote and is only maybe an inch wide, or less. It doesn't have to be 6" on the diagonal.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Door2Dawn said:
Its fake! It's ALL fake! It has to be!
ofnkR.jpg

squicken

I've only casually followed this but how the fuck do I hold a controller than has an HD screen and dual analog sticks that also is a touchscreen and a fleshlight?

1-D_FTW

Amir0x said:
plus most people will be unable to stream their games wherever they go. it's limited by your wireless access.

It's an extremely limited function really

Assuming your family is rich and has 4 of these bad boys lying around, it'd be great for local multiplayer. Image a FPS shooter where everyone plays on their streaming screen (and the TV acts as some sort of broadcast highlight center/scoreboard). It's seems very multi-player centric. Also outdated, but maybe not in Japan?

But the question becomes: What's the point of the 3DS then? And I'm not sure I want a big fucking controller. It's like an even slightly bigger brick than the NGP.

antonz

Plinko said:
So we've got the French site saying "slightly more power than 360" and developers saying "significantly" more power. I wonder if the French site is having an issue with the chipset names.
I think the issue comes down to the chipset. AMD people have claimed they are working on a console CPU for 2012 release. That would fit the Wii 2 but it would discredit the cpu the french are saying. The AMD cpu would have a 5570 or higher equivelant GPU in it.

Zeliard

justchris said:
Haha, I just realized we're all fools. We hear six inch screen and think of it in the classical tablet sense of measurement. However, how long is the Wiimote from top to bottom? They could easily make a screen that's 6" long that pops out of the side of the Wiimote and is only maybe an inch wide, or less. It doesn't have to be 6" on the diagonal.

That would be a fairly interesting aspect ratio. :p

KAL2006

Banned
Streaming games on the controller itself really appeals to me, if it has good range and does not lag then this is a killer feature for me. Playing a online game of COD in your bed before you go to sleep will be pretty cool.

GCX

ciD_Vain said:
Everything leaks nowadays, even Nintendo's secrets.

With 3DS they prevented leaks by announcing the system before any leaks went public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom