• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
-Pyromaniac- said:
LOL this is becoming too hilarious. 6 inch screen? Dual analogs? Triggers?

I...must...see this.

Here is my mockup.
TLQoJ.png

Emitan

likeGdid said:
The nunchuck was quite ergonomic, if not a little small, but yeah, two nunchuck sticks each consisting of:

-two triggers
-4 face buttons
-analog stick
-dpad/4buttons

would be ideal.
I meant like this:
Jx1lk.png

There's no room for a screen though, but you can access every button at once while still using both sticks (except for Start, Select, Home and the D-Pad).

Tobor

StickSoldier said:
But a console with only a 6 inch screen? NO thanks.

The 6" screen would be secondary when your using it as the controller, it would connect to your tv for full 1080P. Then you unplug it and the 6" screen becomes the primary screen.

/speculation

1-D_FTW

antonz said:
I think Kal has the right idea. I think we could see controls on each side of the screen that can be removed. We know even with the 3DS they were tinkering with concepts of removable control parts

Who's Kal? I said this as soon as I saw the leaks this morning. Even put Transformer in the Title of my post.

NEO0MJ

Amir0x said:
are they including a WIi motion controls with every Wii HD?

Cause if not all that means is that motion control gaming IS effectively dead altogether on the Wii HD. Very few people will utilize a peripheral that is not in every system. Wii proved this time and time again with all the underutilized peripherals Nintendo kept adding after the fact

Chances are games will be built with the new controller in mind with some games giving am option to play with the wiimote like shooters. Pretty sure Nintendo won't trouble game developers again like what they did with the wii.

KAL2006

Banned
Amir0x said:
are they including a WIi motion controls with every Wii HD?

Cause if not all that means is that motion control gaming IS effectively dead altogether on the Wii HD. Very few people will utilize a peripheral that is not in every system. Wii proved this time and time again with all the underutilized peripherals Nintendo kept adding after the fact

Yep they will also include a WiiMote with every Wii 2, a WiiMote+ is cheap to produce now so it shouldn't be expensive to bundle that with the controller, casuals will be happy that their old controller will still work for those casual party games like Wii Sports.

So basically the Wii 2 will come with
-Traditional controller with screen on it
-same old WiiMote+

no nunchuck as the left side of the traditional controller can be detached to make it own nunchuck

DSN2K

If the rumours are true Nintendo have taken completely different direction from the Wii. A huge risk but then the Wii was as well.

Advanced Specs, Touch screen controller...all sounds rather pricey! what doesn't sound like the Nintendo we have seen over the past 5 years.

Vinci

Danish
gundamkyoukai said:
Why the fuck would i want to stream content to my control like mini TV .

How the hell would I know? All I know is that specs are the least interesting thing right now.

This new info sounds incredibly weird. So I play Mario Galaxy 3 on my TV and then when I decide to leave I can keep playing it on my controller? What's the point of a handheld like 3DS/NGP then?

apana

Green Scar said:
It's actually the Gamecube 2.

How hard is it to pretend to be a Nintendo or Ubisoft representative? If some of these pranksters can trick Governors and politicians, how hard could it be to trick the staff of IGN and other gaming websites?

antonz

Streaming is the embellished bullshit from IGN im sure. The other sources mentioning the screen have made no mention of streaming

MisterHero

Based on the latest updates, if this has any semblance of truth, maybe Nintendo has found a way to market HD and 3D games to everyone who buys their hardware

I think these rumors are breaking several laws of physics though

Zeliard

Crazy that it's a 6 inch screen, if this shit is actually true. That is half a goddamn foot.

That is HUGE (as someone pointed out earlier, it's roughly the size of a dollar bill). And imagine a kid trying to hold it. This thing is gonna be bigger than a Game Gear with a 6 inch screen if it hopes to fit face buttons and such.

This is so strange.

Amir0x

Banned
KAL2006 said:
Yep they will also include a WiiMote with every Wii 2, a WiiMote+ is cheap to produce now so it shouldn't be expensive to bundle that with the controller, casuals will be happy that their old controller will still work for those casual party games like Wii Sports.

So basically the Wii 2 will come with
-Traditional controller with screen on it
-same old WiiMote+

no nunchuck as the left side of the traditional controller can be detached to make it own nunchuck

my my now things are getting expensive

traditional controller with 6 inch HD touch screen, old wiimote, motion plus, significantly more power than PS360 and also jesus and WII SPORTS INFINITY and Skyward Sword HD packed in at launch

Misterhero said:
3D games to everyone who buys their hardware

Rumours all seem to suggest no 3D.

Vinci

Danish
JordanLMiller said:
This new info sounds incredibly weird. So I play Mario Galaxy 3 on my TV and then when I decide to leave I can keep playing it on my controller? What's the point of a handheld like 3DS/NGP then?

Exclusive titles? Who knows?

Vamphuntr

Green Scar said:
It's actually the Gamecube 2.

So it won't have any games? Lovely.

I want Nintendo to finally do it right with Wii HD HiFi Super Mega Ultra 2. I want third party games again. Wii 2 seems to be "powerful" so I hope it will get third party multiplatform games. Knowing Nintendo they will probably screw it up by having an awkward disc format that will piss off devs.

There is no way the controler will look as the one currently described.

6" (with no multitouch?) + additional buttons? That's not happening. I firmly believe something has either been falsely reported or something is missing from the description (I'm trying to wrap my head about a possible curvature design of the 6" screen).

There's also the possibility that this is some sort of an addon controller. And then there's a possibility that this is indeed true but will be discarded like the PS3 Boomerang controller since it makes nomsense at all.

Orayn

Maybe we should be thinking of it as an official Nintedno-brand wireless video/control interface, rather than THE CONTROLLER.

Amir0x

Banned
Vinci said:

plus most people will be unable to stream their games wherever they go. it's limited by your wireless access.

It's an extremely limited function really

JordanLMiller said:

i'm pretty sure its more like continue playing within a certain range of wii 2 while someone else is using the tv and/or individual screens for everyone in local multiplayer.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
gundamkyoukai said:
Why the fuck would i want to stream content to my control like mini TV .
Also 6inch screen how big is this thing going to be along with analog sticks and everything else.
yeah Wii HD now with xbox 360 specs in 2012.

I really don't think you've done anything in this thread but troll. It's getting old.

I want to stream content to my controller. We only have one gigantic TV in the house. If someone is using it and I want to play a console game this is a fantastic option. And, as always, perfect for the toilet. If it was optional I'd buy one instantly.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

traditional controller with 6 inch HD touch screen, old wiimote, motion plus, significantly more power than PS360 and also jesus and WII SPORTS INFINITY and Skyward Sword HD packed in at launch
jesus would help bring the costs down because jesus saves.

ULTROS! said:
I'm wondering what's the cost of this system.

I'm guessing... $349-$399?

late...but Isnt that rather pricy for Ninty? For that price, I would hope this system can be the centerpiece of ones own home entertainment system with support for playing the latest video codecs, streaming, has onboard hardrive for video storage and is future proof (10 yr lifetime). And with the Mario Kart folks saying it would drive sales of the system, would people fork over that much for to play Mario Kart?

apana

pirata said:
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANYMORE.

GAF, TELL ME WHAT TO BELIEVE.

I'm just looking for people to blame. It's that fucking french website. Project Cafe my ass, what's next Project McMuffin?

Vinci

Danish
What's awesome is I'm sure Sony and MS folks are reading this shit right now too and are just as confused as we are...

Game-Biz

Amir0x said:

Doubtlful at this point. 01net, which seems to be in the know, suggests it'll only be slightly more powerful than the 360. And I wont doubt Nintendo will sell it for $299. The bastards.

KAL2006

Banned
Amir0x said:

Well like I said a WiiMote should cost Nintendo hardly anything by now. The main problem is that 6" screen, that is expensive, everything else about the new controller is the usual and shouldn't be too expensive (dual analogs, trigger and etc)

Billychu said:
I meant like this:
http://i.imgur.com/Jx1lk.png
There's no room for a screen though, but you can access every button at once while still using both sticks (except for Start, Select, Home and the D-Pad).

That's great but have you tried using your ring finger and pinkie like you use your middle and index? Maybe it's because we have trained ourselves over the years but pushing buttons wit those two would suck.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Though they don't explicitly say they've independently corroborated this bit of info, IGN seems to be rowing in behind the 'Project Cafe' name too.

Vinci said:

No, as a controller you can stream to is still just a controller. You are probably tied to being within a certain range for acceptable performance, the thing can't run games itself etc. There will still - for now - be a place for a dedicated handheld.

Pyrokai

I don't know what is so inconceivable about a controller with a big screen being uncomfortable. If they put two GameCube-like or 360-like handles on the left and right ends that allow us to use buttons like old controllers, triggers and all, it probably wouldn't be uncomfortable. The only difference would be the distance of your hands being apart. There's also weight, but we can just hope it wouldn't be too heavy I guess :p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Amir0x said:

Where has that been suggested? I would have to think the console itself would offer 3D--the touchscreen would probably not, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom