• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

that was amazing. pulled a lot of people into that one. i'm ready to believe there's no such thing as a nintendo, and this was an elaborate plan set forth 121 years ago.

likeGdid

Billychu said:
What if it was controlled with 2 Nunchuck style controllers that had a stick and d-pad on each side and 4 buttons for your fingers? You'd have dual analog control, but also have access to 8 buttons at the same time. It would have the exact same number of buttons we have now (4 face, 4 triggers), but all can be used at once.

The nunchuck was quite ergonomic, if not a little small, but yeah, two nunchuck sticks each consisting of:

-two triggers
-4 face buttons
-analog stick
-dpad/4buttons

would be ideal.

Vagabundo

charlequin said:
T
A M+KB setup can often substitute for the whole of a gamepad setup effectively in a way that pointing or touch cannot, though even then there are titles that would preferentially be played using a gamepad even on PC, like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. I think the Wii would be more crippled by its absence if it had any meaningful quantity of multiplatform games and therefore had to cope with specific games that controlled well using two sticks elsewhere.

That's exactly the point I am making; the industry is conditioned in designing games that suit the DS. I think it is holding back better game design, apart from niche games that make innovative use of the second thumb stick, it is a crutch.

A better, more accessible, controller is out there and I was hoping it was a refined wiimote and nunchuck. Well this isn't set in stone yet. I've faith they won't fuck up my controller.

trollface.jpg

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
gofreak said:
Remote play on PS3/PSP over wifi works pretty well, or so I'm told.

It would be quite handy for families where the TV is busy to be able to stream to a another screen. Yes, for disc games you have to switch at the machine etc. but still...

So Nintendo does a 180 from encouraging families to play together and social gaming, which is a strength of consoles, to encouraging a console that is played in solitary like a handheld? But without the strengths of a self-contained handheld.

It would be utterly bizarre.

Game-Biz

That can't be 6 inches, seems a lot bigger.

Are you sure that ruler's the right size?
Everyone take out a dollar. 6 inches. That's how fucking big the screen is. Holy fuck me. How will this not be a heavy piece of clunk?

antonz

Well the 6" screen did not originate from IGN. It came from the French who broke all the NGP stuff out. The streaming stuff is likely the bullshit

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amir0x said:
eh, i'll have to wait and see on that but it may function at a basic level but certainly not when you start adding pointers and motion controls to the mix.

Yeah, if it's a monolithic unit I don't know how pointer/one-handed motion control fits in.

But if the sides breakaway into 'little wiimotes' then it might be different.

Zeliard

Unless ol' Jim is trolling people via the French site link, it actually seems to match up. From 01.net:

controller specs : 6-inch screen, single touch (so no multitouch, it seems), front camera, acts as a wii sensor bar, has a d-pad, two bumpers, two triggers, possibly more.

Amir0x

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
No way. They have an article on the front page with all of his information and the French site said the same thing.

Surely they can't be joshing......

no no no, I think a lot of the shit has become embellished. The early shit still seems true. Obviously Wii 2 is coming but he's now just adding crazy shit to exaggerate the capabilities and make everyone's imagination go haywire :p

Orayn

Somehow, I don't think it's a troll. This is exactly the kind of insane stuff that Nintendo would pull. I just don't understand it.

AniHawk said:
that was amazing. pulled a lot of people into that one. i'm ready to believe there's no such thing as a nintendo, and this was an elaborate plan set forth 121 years ago.

Again, I don't understand how you guys could think any of this was real. It just sounds like a cluster-fuck. Nintendo would never leak info on the controller so soon.

Vinci

Danish
Besides all the weirdness associated with this, there's no way in hell 3rd parties would look at that controller and go, "YES - ABOUT TIME!"

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DECK'ARD said:
So Nintendo does a 180 from encouraging families to play together and social gaming, which is a strength of consoles, to encouraging a console that is played in solitary like a handheld? But without the strengths of a self-contained handheld.

It would be utterly bizarre.

The streaming would just be an obvious side effect of a) a large-ish screen on the controller and b) a wireless connection to the console. But not the main reason for it, necessarily - that'll be the other applications and interplay with the console they presumably have planned, which could include social play etc. etc.

But it's not as if Nintendo's averse to changes in focus anyway...

There are roots of this in previous work they've done, and we've seen how sometimes Nintendo doesn't just let ideas drop.

apana

I'm beggining to think Nintendo has only sent out Wii motes with analog sticks on them. They may have added some notes about touch screens so everyone is speculating like crazy.

Vagabundo

Cosmonaut X said:
Arbitrarily? Everything I do is for the good of my residents - even if that means taking a few troublesome GAFers to my THIRTEENTH FLOOR!

;-)

That should be your tag quote, but I doubt these Yanks would get the reference. :D

dankir

If the controller can stream full game content, then the controller is a portable. I'm sure there are detachable nunchucks / wii mote pointer from it.

This is all sounded very fucking cool though!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think, if true, there's absolutely no way the screen is a required part of the controller. I doubt IGN would be updating their main site story if they knew it was fake information.

It could be an optional piece that receives streaming data so a player could walk around the house (or anywhere with a console) and play the game in a portable manner without using the TV--like the DS, but requiring an active console nearby. That's the only way "HD Screen" makes sense to me. Perhaps developers could use the screen in optional ways when connected to the controller but in no way make it required.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Amir0x said:
no no no, I think a lot of the shit has become embellished. The early shit still seems true. Obviously Wii 2 is coming but he's now just adding crazy shit to exaggerate the capabilities and make everyone's imagination go haywire :p

Yeah I would agree but EVERYTHING he has tweeted is in the article now. If they are faking then IGN seriously is a joke now.

IGN said:
New details have surfaced from yesterday's reports that Nintendo is set to unveil its newest console, codenamed "Project Cafe."

According to our sources, the new Nintendo controller will feature dual analog sticks in addition to standard d-pad and trigger buttons. It'll mirror a Gamecube controller in general function but not in specific form.

French website 01.net has published additional details (via Develop), that say the touch capable screen on the controller is 6 inches in size, but we were unable to confirm the accuracy of the report. Additional details about the console's hardware specs could also not be confirmed.

Players will actually be able to stream game content to the controller screen from the console. It's unclear at this time what type of content it will be, whether it's full games you can take with you on the go, mini-games or applications.

At E3 in June, our sources also said Nintendo will show first and third party titles at the event, but it's unsure if they'll be playable or only in video form.

Update: Sources now confirm to IGN the new Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console, saying it's like a miniature television. The screen size on the controller is also confirmed to be six inches in size.

Article.

pirata

Chittagong said:
so a CONTROLLER with two analog sticks, and a SIX inch screen (PSP is 4"). That's roughly to scale

gamecube-keyboard-controller.jpg

WHAT IS GOING ON.

Yeah, I was holding up my hands to the ruler thing posted earlier, and figured out that the controller would have to almost as wide as my laptop. Either there's some really weird miscommunication going on right now, or this is going to be the weirdest thing ever.

Amir0x

Banned
Vinci said:
Besides all the weirdness associated with this, there's no way in hell 3rd parties would look at that controller and go, "YES - ABOUT TIME!"

the idea will be "uh, ok guys, so... what gadget you want to try first?"

"how about...what does that mouse tail jutting from the left grip do?"

"Er, I was told in the Nintendo letter to not touch that until they activate the sensors."

"The sensors?"

"Well, there's a new series of twelve sensors you lie around the house and--"

"Oh shit dude did you see that! I pressed this glowly green bulb and fucking little holographic Mario skittered across the floor!"

"The fuck? The screen says PLEASE INSERT 3DS CARTRIDGE FOR TELEVISION 3D CONVERSION."

"Uh, here's my copy of Monkey Ball 3DS."

"Ok it's loading and--OH MY GOD MY TV IS 3D NOW!"

Vagabundo

Amir0x said:

Yeah, like dual analogues on the main controller. ;)

ASIS

6 inch screen? Could it possibly be like the IGN article where the console itself (i know it says controller but I just can't even begin to comprehend that) would have a screen and would be portable?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Zeliard said:
Unless ol' Jim is trolling people via the French site link, it actually seems to match up. From 01.net:

controller specs : 6-inch screen, single touch (so no multitouch, it seems), front camera, acts as a wii sensor bar, has a d-pad, two bumpers, two triggers, possibly more.

He says IGN's own sources have confirmed the screen size as 6". They're not just echoing 01net's info, or so they claim, but corroborating it.

And I don't buy that it's 'all one big joke' just because of a Jim Reilly tweet...like I say, I highly doubt they'd actually publish info on the site just for that.

Zeliard

If it's actually a 6 inch screen then practically the entire face of the controller is the screen. And it has dual analog. And I noticed not a single of these rumors mentioned face buttons (unless I missed something).

Hmph

Dual analog + touch screen "buttons"?

wuahaha

It's a good thing I didn't believe anything that was posted about streaming, touch screen and all that, I can't ride rumor trains, I can wait to see everything at E3.

birdchili

two remotes in the box, standard.

both remotes have d-pads and buttons on top, analog sticks and buttons on the lower bit. reversible depending on the game. you use one in each hand, of course.

six-inch screen is separate and connects to each remote via a short cable that comes out of the remote "bottom" between your fingers (so it works no matter which way you hold the remote).

screen has a camera that detects body position via a sensor bar and is attached to the body either via a belt-clip, or with a headband (included).

all components are motion sensitive, have vibration features, and come in a range of colors.

also: they shoot real lasers.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeliard said:
If it's actually a 6 inch screen then practically the entire face of the controller is the screen. And it has dual analog. And I noticed not a single of these rumors mentioned face buttons (unless I missed something).

Hmph

Dual analog + touch screen "buttons"?

wuahaha

this is going to be the most hideous controller of all time, at the very least, even if it turns out comfortable! haha

Cow Mengde said:
Again, I don't understand how you guys could think any of this was real. It just sounds like a cluster-fuck. Nintendo would never leak info on the controller so soon.

Just like they would never leak that their next handheld would have glasses-free 3D?

AniHawk

Skiesofwonder said:
Yeah I would agree but EVERYTHING he has tweeted is in the article now. If they are faking then IGN seriously is a joke now.

Article.

maybe it's just some intern updating the article and was like, 'oh hey, jim is reporting it.'

like the triology stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom