• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

apana

Cube with touch screens on each side. It's the only way:

touchcube-touchscreen-technology.jpg

love these threads. E3 will ruin the fun.

anyway, a Wii that´s a bit more powerfull than PS3 and 360 sounds fine to me.
I really think the gap between wii and 360 was TOO big on a HDTV.

I´ll let Nintendo surprise me wit something new.

I have a sneaking feeling this might come out in time for Christmas 2011. Why else has Nintendo been so quiet on Skyward Sword? And developers have had kits for months now, right?

antonz

TekkenMaster said:
I have a sneaking feeling this might come out in time for Christmas 2011. Why else has Nintendo been so quiet on Skyward Sword? And developers have had kits for months now, right?
I mean it could theoretically happen. They will have to make sure they can be compelling enough to steal sales away from the 3rd party games launching.
The French site is claiming the proposed launch date is June 2012.

TekkenMaster said:
i agree. Zelda HD launch title.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
artwalknoon said:
That's pretty cool but what application would it have on a controller? Some kind of AR integration stuff? Vitality sensor transparency readings?
Maybe. AR is Nintendo's current hobby, going by the 3DS pack-in demos, so perhaps this whole screen on controller business is a way to advance AR games. I figure a transparent screen would negate the need to have a 3D camera setup to record the scene but instead just use the sensor bar and the motion controls to place the virtual objects into the scene.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Always-honest said:
i agree. Zelda HD launch title.

I hope not.

Let me ask you; would you rather a Zelda that's an upscaled port, or a Zelda that takes full advantage of the hardware power? I want Zelda whatever for the next Nintendo system to be built 100% for that hardware.

On that note, get Retro working on a new Prime if they're not already, because Prime HD would be gguhggguuuuuhhhnngg*drools*

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
arnoldocastillo2003 said:
With all due respect, that is an ugly controller.

Better than the super wide ones or the mockups that have 3 inch screens, I think.

Teknoman

EatChildren said:
I hope not.

Let me ask you; would you rather a Zelda that's an upscaled port, or a Zelda that takes full advantage of the hardware power? I want Zelda whatever for the next Nintendo system to be built 100% for that hardware.

On that note, get Retro working on a new Prime if they're not already, because Prime HD would be gguhggguuuuuhhhnngg*drools*

This. Gimme Skyward Sword now, build a new Zelda to take full advantage of the next system.

J-Rock

Banned
EatChildren said:
I hope not.

Let me ask you; would you rather a Zelda that's an upscaled port, or a Zelda that takes full advantage of the hardware power?

Why not both? Skyward Sword in HD and then a few years from now a fresh Zelda game? We'll have to wait a few years for the next Zelda anyway.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EatChildren said:
I hope not.

Yeah, Twilight Princess basically gave the Zelda team an excuse to faff about for almost this entire gen.

statham

TekkenMaster said:
I agree. and porting over some ps3/360 titles for launch with nintendo 2-3 games fully developed for it. (reason for lack of games recently)

watershed

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
Maybe. AR is Nintendo's current hobby, going by the 3DS pack-in demos, so perhaps this whole screen on controller business is a way to advance AR games. I figure a transparent screen would negate the need to have a 3D camera setup to record the scene but instead just use the sensor bar and the motion controls to place the virtual objects into the scene.

If the tech is good enough on the transparent screens to make an image on the screen look like its a 3d object in real life, like a mii on a table or something that would be pretty impressive. But I have 2 issues with this, one, if you're staring at the controller to play games what's going on on the HD screen! Two, really eats into 3ds territory and seems like an odd feature for a console again with the whole wide screen HD tv sitting in the background.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The screen will be a very slightly smaller than this guys:

samsung-galaxy-tab-top-1.jpg

I'd rather have half a controller on such a thing in portrait mode, not landscape.

EatChildren said:
I hope not.

I understand yourworry, but in my scenario it wouldn´t be an upscaled port. I can hope right..
AAnnd.. even in your scenario, i rather play it in a higher resolution.

Instro

EatChildren said:
I hope not.

Retro anything will be amazing on a HD console. If they can get something out near launch window, I think its a huge opportunity to go for a new IP. Either way I bet they've been working on something for this new console for awhile.

thomaser

I don't know if it has been mentioned already, but one good use for streaming games to the controllers would be to let people play when someone else is watching the tv. Wife wants to watch a soap while you're desperate to play a round of CoD? No problem.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
J-Rock said:
Why not both? Skyward Sword in HD and then a few years from now a fresh Zelda game? We'll have to wait a few years for the next Zelda anyway.

Sure, but I honestly dont expect this to launch until mid to late 2012, and I expect Skyward Sword to be the 2011 holiday title. I'd much rather Nintendo just release it as the Wii's swangsong, rather than delay it 6 - 12 months to slightly upgrade the graphics and integrate the controls to a new system, and result in another long period of waiting for another console Zelda.

Get Skyward Sword done. Have it finished on the Wii, as a great example of what the Wii can do. Then start building a new HD Zelda from the ground up for the next system.

watershed

Banned
crazy monkey said:
remember these
wii_prototypes_1.jpg

63628_0_org.jpg

I was looking for these earlier, this is proof that Nintendo could be as crazy as these rumors suggest. I mean look at that star one, seriously?!

But the breaking apart controller is the one that seems most relevant to these rumors, just add a screen in the middle.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
What the fuck. Every time I come to gaming there's a new update on this shit...These leaks have potentially ruined the omgwtf factor of Nintendo's E3. It'll still be megatons but it won't make it a "Holy shit this is Nintendo's best E3 ever!" like it could be if we knew absolutely nothing about this until June.

Anyways...looking forward to seeing it...what the hell at the controller being the main show here.

Somnid

Let's look at what we have here:

Firstly is this rumor everyone is pressing on about having a 6" screen in the controller. Clearly this is not going to be an HD screen as some suggest. Even on a phone/tablet that would be a rather tall order and really expensive. Beyond that how do you render to it? Wii only does 480p and 360 and PS3 often struggle to maintain a baseline 720p. To say this console can remote render for this supposed screen and itself is a bit much.

Much more likely here is a reasonable res screen. 320x240 or something. Even then rendering remotely would likely require more than a standard bluetooth connection provides. Unless these are custom controllers, or wi-fi enabled my guess is the controller itself would need to render it's own images. Even if it was remote they'd still need some sort of CPU to decode the images sent and some RAM to act as a buffer. My guess would be an ARM 7 or something. Hardware like this in the controller is going to get pricey. I really don't think Nintendo is creating a new handheld to act as a controller but whatever this thing is it sounds like it'll be positioned as a personal item rather than selected from a communal pool of controllers.

The size of the screen is also questionable. 6" is basically the world's largest cell-phone or a really small tablet. Most point out a Kindle as falling in this range. Clearly this is a bit large for any sort of controller we know of and a tablet is certainly not a good fit for two handed operation (unless they want you on a coffee table). It's also BC with Wii and has new enhanced motion controls. These are clearly contradictory with a screen. The only way to consider both would be if Nintendo specifically branched the controls (which in many ways they already have as have Sony and MS). One branch is a take on traditional controls with a screen and the other is an enhanced wand-based system and the console provides both.

Something here is definitely not adding up with these rumors. My interpretation says this will have some sort of CC with a small touchscreen, accelerometers, gyros in addition to some enhancements to the now standard Wiimote design (likely cameras and magnetometers).

antonz

Stat Flow said:
What the fuck. Every time I come to gaming there's a new update on this shit...These leaks have potentially ruined the omgwtf factor of Nintendo's E3. It'll still be megatons but it won't make it a "Holy shit this is Nintendo's best E3 ever!" like it could be if we knew absolutely nothing about this until June.

Anyways...looking forward to seeing it...what the hell at the controller being the main show here.

Well French are saying there is a Megaton surprise that the console has that wont be discussed before E3

Is it wrong that I don't want this to have some crazy exclusive support? I like the 1 console (PS3) and PC route. For next gen I would like it to go like this:

Sony - Yes
Microsoft - Maybe
Nintendo - Probably Not

...and continue on with my PC. The way it is now is manageable; I'm afraid of the new consoles not being close enough in power that devs don't once again decide to do the same multiconsole releases. Sony and MS should make a console together and make this decision easy.

Also, are they really going to announce this at E3 so far from launch?

At any rate I'll worry about it two years from now...

Foffy

Banned
redbarchetta said:
From its official announcement to when it was released, this would put it within roughly the same time-frame as the 3DS.

I was banking on this happening. I bet it's going to be exactly like the 3DS.

- Major reveal at E3
- Release early next year
- Offer enough supply that doesn't cause droughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom