• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

truendo

Anyone seen IGN's build?

how-could-the-wii-2-controller-work-20110415053115064-000.jpg

flak57

Krowley said:
The fact that they are going with 6 inches, plus the emphasis on the ability to stream back to the controller keeps making me go back to the idea of a 3d enabled display on the controller.

I mean, why bother with such a big touch screen otherwise? 5 inches would be fine... Heck, 3 inches would be fine if gameplay was the main reason it was there.

But if you intended for people to use the controller as a main way to view the games for the system because you were going to use 3d tech in your screen, then you would be likely to use an especially big screen, and you would spare no expense to make sure that the streaming tech for the wireless video was top notch.

I know it would cannibalize the 3ds, but honestly they have the tech, and it can't be properly implemented in televisions for a reasonable price at the moment.

Exactly what I was thinking, as I posted above. I think we're onto something with this, and I'm repeating myself because this thread moves so fast things get lost in the shuffle.

I think the screen/controller's position will be detected by the new Wii, and it will act as your eyes in a pseudo virtual reality type world.

Moving the controller will move your view in this world just like moving your head in real life.

Touch

shinobi602 said:
That looks good but I still don't understand how the screen will be used. If I'm using the thumbsticks, switching down to the screen real quick for something would seem really...impractical o_O
I don't think it would be much different from using the keyboard pad. If it's used to navigate menus' (mini map, inventory etc) I see it as being pretty practical after a while of getting use to it. Having all the menu options at your thumbs.. sounds cool to me.

Zelda needs to get out of this terrible pattern of launching during the death throes of the console.

My solution: double up on Zelda: have Skyward Sword come out for Wii and as a launch title for Wii 2, and have a built-from-the-ground-up-for-Wii-2 Zelda ready by its second Christmas.

Maximus.

Gary Whitta said:
I really doubt Nintendo is doing anything as unimaginative as simply grafting a screen into a traditional controller design.

Well what they possibly could do is have their new motion controller and then also have their screen/classic controller. I doubt that it will all be combined into one package.

Red

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Maybe it's just because I'm used to holding a Dual Shock, but that seems like the most comfortable layout for a dual analog controller.
I hate using Dual Shocks for exactly that reason. Can't handle the thumbstick layout. Feels so small and flimsy.

watershed

Banned
flak57 said:
Exactly what I was thinking, as I posted above. I think we're onto something with this, and I'm repeating myself because this thread moves so fast things get lost in the shuffle.

I think the screen/controller's position will be detected by the new Wii, and it will act as your eyes in a pseudo virtual reality type world.

But are we talking about a situation where the 3d screen on the controller is the main screen and you don't engage the HD tv you have at all? Or something else?

btw, I don't see this happening at all. The system still has a secret draw no doubt but this ain't it.

truendo

Can anyone clarify what they mean when they say that you can use the controller as a sensor bar? Does this mean that the controller actually emits infrared light detectable by a wiimote? If that's true, continuously keeping that on seems like a waste of battery....

antonz

qq more said:
What the...? I just noticed there's a toolbar in the screen. lol Not like it matters but I'm wondering what is with that?
Thats the 3DS toolbar at menu screen

truendo said:
Can anyone clarify what they mean when they say that you can use the controller as a sensor bar? Does this mean that the controller actually emits infrared light detectable by a wiimote? If that's true, continuously keeping that on seems like a waste of battery....

They clarified that people got what they meant wrong and If I am reading it right that they meant it has the pointer hardware in it

shinobi602 said:
Different sources saying as powerful as 360/PS3, to slightly more powerful, to significantly more powerful.

Supposedly sports an R700 series GPU, which could also consist of something like a 4870 x2 maybe...

But probably something closer to a 4670 is more likely. If Nintendo was going to go as big as a dual gpu 4870 x2 they're just go with a more recent design. If they're using R700 tech it's because they want something cheap and small.

HYDE

Banned
can someone do ign's mockup, but flip the directional pad with the analog stick, and play a black gameboy micro where the screen is?

Eteric Rice

You know, someone probably asked the developer how big the screen is, and he was just like, "Like, 6 inches I guess?"

And suddenly, it's 6 inches.

I think it's probably going to be a slider like the PSP go.

Vyer

crazy monkey said:
remember these
ip1lm.jpg

You know, this seems like the most viable fit for these rumors. Make it a little bigger, rearrange/remove/shrink the buttons on the right, shrink the stick on the left, add the second stick. THe real estate in the center is the touchscreen.

You could flip that part that rotates back down, to use like a current Wii controller. One handed, or spin it around, use it two handed like a current controller or smartphone.

Krowley

artwalknoon said:
But are we talking about a situation where the 3d screen on the controller is the main screen and you don't engage the HD tv you have at all? Or something else?

btw, I don't see this happening at all. The system still has a secret draw no doubt but this ain't it.

From my perspective, yes it would be the main display, but at the same time, I don't even believe it myself. It would be insanely radical to release a console with its own television built into the controller. Too risky. People wouldn't know what they were dealing with.

Still, it is the only reason I can think of to make the screen so big, or to bother with streaming games from the system to the controller screen.

Those features are neat, but not really worth the effort on their own. A smaller screen would work just fine if it is mainly there for inventories, maps, and interface features. A huge screen is a very strange touch, and--assuming it is true--they must have chosen it for a reason.

truendo

antonz said:
Thats the 3DS toolbar at menu screen

They clarified that people got what they meant wrong and If I am reading it right that they meant it has the pointer hardware in it
Ok, thanks. That makes way more sense. XD

Fantastical

Death Prophet
methodman said:
this thread is why gaf is the best. love the speculation that gaming news brings out on this forum.
It seriously is the most exciting time in gaming. Hardware launches/announcements are the beeessstttt.

flak57

artwalknoon said:

I actually don't necessarily see the controller screen being 3D, was that rumored?

Who's to say there wouldn't be a way to engage the TV as well?

qq more said:
What the...? I just noticed there's a toolbar in the screen. lol Not like it matters but I'm wondering what is with that?
It might have the 3DS home functionality where you can take notes or access the internet while playing on the controller. Just a guess.....I guess :/

dyergram

I think it would be kinda distracting having a big screen on the controller to be honest. But I was expecting a little display on the next xbox controller with the gamercard and stuff on it.

Kenka

plainr_ said:

Good visualization. This 6-inches screen thing is really what seems to be a bad design choice but you guys are pulling some genuinely interesting examples of what it could be. Thanks.

ElRenoRaven

DXB-KNIGHT said:
It might have the 3DS home functionality where you can take notes or access the internet while playing on the controller. Just a guess.....I guess :/

Well that is just a mock up IGN did. So odds are they took a shot of a 3DS screen and shopped it in to give a general idea of what it could look like. I really wouldn't read anything into the toolbar.

Treefrog

Vyer said:
You know, this seems like the most viable fit for these rumors. Make it a little bigger, rearrange/remove/shrink the buttons on the right, shrink the stick on the left, add the second stick. THe real estate in the center is the touchscreen.

You could flip that part that rotates back down, to use like a current Wii controller. One handed, or spin it around, use it two handed like a current controller or smartphone.

Ooh, I like this idea. It keeps the current form factor, which people are familiar with, yet adds new functionality.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't really understand how one controller can offer Move level motion sensing, buttons and a 6 inch touch screen. If it's as basic as a regular pad with a screen slapped in the middle, how would it work with games like Wii Sports Resort? You need that remote shape. I just don't see Nintendo dropping the Wii Remote concept for this new thing.

watershed

Banned
Krowley said:
From my perspective, yes it would be the main display, but at the same time, I don't even believe it myself. It would be insanely radical to release a console with its own television built into the controller. Too risky. People wouldn't know what they were dealing with.

Still, it is the only reason I can think of to make the screen so big, or to bother with streaming games from the system to the controller screen.

Those features are neat, but not really worth the effort on their own. A smaller screen would work just fine if it is mainly there for inventories, maps, and interface features. A huge screen is a very strange touch, and--assuming it is true--they must have chosen it for a reason.

Well this is my point. If these rumors are true, and given how crazy some of them are that is still a big IF in my mind, the main draw is still hidden from us. We know about the 6 inch screen and the "improved" motion controls, the dual analog, the streaming. But we don't know why, we don't know the reason that unifies it or justifies the hardware.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
TekkenMaster said:
I hope Retro has been working on a game for Project Cafe since before DKCR released. Either a Metroid, StarFox or a new IP would be best imo.
Starfox please. I trust Retro with that franchise.

watershed

Banned
flak57 said:
I actually don't necessarily see the controller screen being 3D, was that rumored?

Who's to say there wouldn't be a way to engage the TV as well?

No, we're just kicking silly ideas around. All the "real" rumors are in the OP.

Kenka

Would the 6-inch screen be glasses ? 2*3 inches overall.

Your vision is filled and it doesn't seem that mysterious anymore.

17eiyc.jpg

Although, yes, 3'' per eye seems way big.

HYDE

Banned
howcouldthewii2controll.th.jpg

I'm thinking more like a gameboy micro, except with ds xyab buttons, and gamecube triggers underneath that are similar to the XBOX 360 placement. I know the paint job is terrible, but it helps illustrate the general idea I have.

Kenka said:

17eiyc.jpg

You might be on to something here. Virtual Reality is really the only way forward in video game immersion.

Amir0x

Banned
oh god the story has got even crazier since I've been asleep

i'm surprised the thing can't shoot lasers. I can't wait to see the absurdity of its aesthetic

The M.O.B

Kenka said:

17eiyc.jpg

It is supposed to be touchscreen though..................

truendo

Kenka said:

17eiyc.jpg

I guess that would kill the touch screen rumors them?

robor

Vyer said:

Hey yea, I see it!

There definitely has to be some wand-like feature about this new controller if it's catering to past Wii games. This might suggest component detachability. This also means that the general mock-ups are invalid possibilities.

Kenka

The M.O.B said:
It is supposed to be touchscreen though..................

Resistive or capacitive ? If it's capacitive, maybe it would detect the variation of voltage due to blinking or keeping eyes shut at a 1 cm distance, which... no, I am just thinking bullshit.

robor said:
Hey yea, I see it!

There definitely has to be some wand-like feature about this new controller if it's catering to past Wii games. This might suggest component detachability. This also means that the general mock-ups are invalid possibilities.

someone with Photoshop skills needs to get on the case!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom