• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
redbarchetta said:
Only assuming the screen doesn't run underneath the face buttons, which I could see as being a distinct possibility

This has been mentioned a couple times now but I can't imagine it in my head. What do you mean exactly by "the screen runs underneath the face buttons"? Is there a mock up of this? Not disputing just don't understand.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
plainr_ said:
sDBUV.jpg
SzdfN.jpg

antonz

Nirolak said:
Honest, this long before launch it's entirely possible that these things aren't even finalized yet.

The final NGP GPU didn't even go out until recently even though they had a general idea and some placeholders in the meantime.
Yep. If by some chance Nintendo were to be the ones using the Trinity Chip from AMD it would basically be impossible for Dev kits to be fully specced right now unless AMD is pumping out chips for Nintendo like half a year early

antispin said:
There is a lot more to it than R700 = Radeon 4000. Firstly, you can't compare the performance that a desktop PC card offers PC games, to what it might offer inside a console. The two cannot be compared or correlated in this manner. Further, this R700 refers to the class of the GPU; there could be further customization done by ATI for Nintendo's benefit (bandwidth, shaders, RAM). Similarly, you cannot equate a 3-core PowerPC to another 3-core solution and guess the performance. We don't know the architecture. We don't know how the chips talk to each other. Until we do (likely not until a dev studio such as Epic or id comments on the hardware) we should refrain from drawing conclusions on the longevity of this new platform.

Antispun!

Branduil

artwalknoon said:
This has been mentioned a couple times now but I can't imagine it in my head. What do you mean exactly by "the screen runs underneath the face buttons"? Is there a mock up of this? Not disputing just don't understand.
wii2.png

I still say the screen will be detachable, can't believe people are thinking a 6 inch screen will be on a controller. If the 6 inches is bullshit then maybe I could see a small one, but even that I'd think has a good chance of being detachable.

Ok just got back from work, so the last information has been leaked about the spec of the GPU being a 7000 series AMD, but do you guys know that the GPU and CPU will be in the same card?.

Thoraxes

-Pyromaniac- said:
I still say the screen will be detachable, can't believe people are thinking a 6 inch screen will be on a controller. If the 6 inches is bullshit then maybe I could see a small one, but even that I'd think has a good chance of being detachable.
I'm holding out for a holographic display that shoots out of the top of the controller.

antonz said:
Yep I mean I do understand they have a good trackrecord with the NGP but they also were alot more committed to what they revealed on the NGP. It wasnt we would guess this or that.

it does show how other sites are taking things and running with it though. French are very noncommittal and even guessing and other sites report it as fact
Well this far out it's really easy to change stuff so it's best not to have everything as fact.
You can change how much ram in the system have very easy and with Wii HD being more than a year away same for the GPU.
I think the only part of the system that really lock down would be the CPU .

artwalknoon said:

Branduil posted the image. Basically, the entire face of the controller would be a screen, with the buttons resting on top. It would mean that Nintendo would have to redesign their buttons to avoid having wires running underneath--something they could easily do by having the buttons simply touch the capacitive screen below, which the screen would recognize as a particular button by its positioning (control sticks would be a little more difficult).

This could be a really cool idea, allowing the sides of the controllers (where the controls are) to display non-essential details or backgrounds, while the center of the controller (say iPhone screen size) would be used for direct touchscreen interaction with the game.

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Ok just got back from work, so the last information has been leaked about the spec of the GPU being a 7000 series AMD, but do you guys know that the GPU and CPU will be in the same card?.

Unless they're using some kind of unified approach, I doubt it. The the 7000 series makes more sense. I mean if they wanted to save the consumer money on the hardware, I would expect them to go with at least the 5000 series.

Branduil

redbarchetta said:
Branduil posted the image. Basically, the entire face of the controller would be a screen, with the buttons resting on top. It would mean that Nintendo would have to redesign their buttons to avoid having wires running underneath--something they could easily do by having the buttons simply touch the capacitive screen below, which the screen would recognize as a particular button by its positioning (control sticks would be a little more difficult).

This could be a really cool idea, allowing the sides of the controllers (where the controls are) to display non-essential details or backgrounds, while the center of the controller (say iPhone screen size) would be used for direct touchscreen interaction with the game.
You could also display the control scheme directly beneath the buttons. So instead of Zelda having a massive, unsightly HUD showing all the items and controls, it would all be on the controller.

Ashodin

Zzoram said:
Nice step forward but kinda disappointed the Wii 2 graphics card will be around the same as my 2.5 year old PC.
PCs =/= consoles bud. Always will be able to upgrade often with a PC, stuff is made all the time. Consoles have to pick and choose from the best out right now (or cheaper than that) and make do for years.

Meier

Has anyone mocked up what the controller might look like? How odd that they'd go down to a streamlined remote control type controller to what is sounding like something fairly unwieldy.

Just saw Brandiul's post. I guess I didn't consider that it could be sort of like a Harmony remote.

I bet this leak is exactly why Nintendo usually avoids approaching Western devs until the last minute.

Hopefully it is a sign that they're trying hard to get them on board though.

watershed

Banned
Branduil said:
okay so with design what is the use of the screen area that is covered? Does it take vital readings like heat signatures for vitality sensor built in stuff or does it display graphics? because it looks like from the drawing that only the uncovered center area would be for touch screen use like menus or something.

antonz

Meier said:
Has anyone mocked up what the controller might look like? How odd that they'd go down to a streamlined remote control type controller to what is sounding like something fairly unwieldy.

Just saw Brandiul's post. I guess I didn't consider that it could be sort of like a Harmony remote.
this is IGNs guess
1zyec9c.jpg

watershed

Banned
civilstrife said:
I bet this leak is exactly why Nintendo usually avoids approaching Western devs until the last minute.

Hopefully it is a sign that they're trying hard to get them on board though.

That's a possibility. For once western developers have the goods early and what do they do? Run and shout to the gaming media, confirming Nintendo's distrust of their leak practices. At least E3 is just around the corner so they held it together for a while. Plus this all seems rather coordinated and straight-forward.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Meier said:
Huh. Going through some remotes available now, maybe it kinda gives a vague idea on how this might look.

5183gZpDLhL.jpg

TunaLover

Streaming to the controller?
That means that I can play my games in portable way? So far I see this like the main reson why nintendo opted by such a big screen, console acting like a hub for portable display sounds awesome.

Krowley

I think these two below, along with Branduil's are the two best guesses I've seen (they all have somewhat similar ideas).

Cafe_sketch.jpg

Q68Ly.png

Basically, the whole thing comes apart, and the two controller parts connect to the screen

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
TunaLover said:
Streaming to the controller?
That means that I can play my games in portable way? So far I see this like the main reson why nintendo opted by such a big screen, console acting like a hub for portable display sounds awesome.
If it's anything like Remote Play on the PS3, it's not great. There's always going to be that bit of lag that renders most games available for Remote Play somewhat unplayable.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What if the screen is one of these...?

udc_flexible_oled_screen.jpg

FlexibleTouchScreen.jpg

101651sloth.jpg

Glass Joe

If the controller has a screen, I imagine it functioning similarly to the DS... for pauseless menus, etc. For my guess, cut a DS in half (remove the top) and there's a good idea of what it would look like.

I like the IGN controller. But if the screen was built on it replacements would cost a shitton unless they'll sell 2 lines of controllers 1 with the screen and 1 with out. Also if they kepe selling motion controllers there would be 3 different controllers on sale.

Krowley

-Pyromaniac- said:
I like the IGN controller. But if the screen was built on it replacements would cost a shitton unless they'll sell 2 lines of controllers 1 with the screen and 1 with out. Also if they kepe selling motion controllers there would be 3 different controllers on sale.

that IGN design would never work with a 6 inch screen though. It would just be too massive.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
antonz said:
this is IGNs guess
1zyec9c.jpg
I just don't understand the point of the screen. It doesn't make any sense to me, and it adds to the cost of the controller.

Yes, a second screen is great on a handheld device, but looking down to see something you could see just as clearly on the TV screen seems like a pain.

I'm guessing there is something major we don't know about the screen, dealing with functionality.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
NEO0MJ said:
The PC is moving way too fast these days.

No, Nintendo has gotten used to selling you old hardware to make a lot of profit on the consoles themselves.

They could have easily gone with a 5000 series (even a 6000 series) level card and still make a profit. But that's not what Nintendo does anymore. It's annoying and it's taking gamers for chumps.

I am still exciting to play Zelda/Mario in PS3/Xbox360 plus-a-bit more-power quality even if it is 5 years late but that they are taking advantage of us bothers me.

I am sure the controller will be great though, as they always are from Nintendo. It sounds neat.

Branduil

Glass Joe said:
If the controller has a screen, I imagine it functioning similarly to the DS... for pauseless menus, etc. For my guess, cut a DS in half (remove the top) and there's a good idea of what it would look like.
Yeah, the main problem is the reported 6 inch size, so either it's the size of a tablet, or the screen is underneath/replace the buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom