• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez it geting more and more crazy in here I can see this geting hype and hype and then at E3 disappointment as nothing show or its not what we think

What also makes me happy is if the Wii 2 is indeed "significantly" more powerful than 360/PS3, then that means the next Xbox and PS4 should easily sport hardware that shows off Battlefield 3 PC level visuals, even right at launch.

Exciting times :)

pringles

Gahiggidy said:
Here's an idea... what if the screen attaches to the wrist of one of the player's arms, allowing you to use the non wiimote hand to use the touch screen controls. I dunno. *shrugs*
That's more like it. Thinking outside the box. Not that I think that's going to be what it is, but these mockups with a regular controller with a built-in screen don't seem like Nintendo's style.

Vyer

TekkenMaster said:
someone with Photoshop skills needs to get on the case!

lol, yeah I would have tried it but my mock up skills are lacking.

I just thought it was interesting, considering we know that's a prototype Nintendo actually developed in the past....

miksar

plainr_ said:
http://i51.tinypic.com/2r5f814.gif
This. Add B Button on the back and put everything else (other buttons, analog) on the new nunchuck. The screen layout is changed depending on the game. Simple downloadable games can be streamed on it. The only thing that doesn't make sense then is no multi-touch.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Gary Whitta said:
I really doubt Nintendo is doing anything as unimaginative as simply grafting a screen into a traditional controller design.
agreed.

is there any chance the touch screen part of this isnt true at all? i wouldnt mind if it were but i dont understand how itd work with motion control, which they wont give up

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can't see it being 3D on the controller. If we just think of the controller as having 'remote play' like the PS3, it'll keep expectations in check. My guess is that they started with the idea of having gameplay on the controller (like four swords), and the streaming was an added feature they could bring. Perhaps they have research that shows more people would like to play but the lounge TV is being used for other things (common in my house), so this approach would help with that.

Anyway, good old crazy times coming again. Looking forward to E3..

Wonder how long Sony/MS will leave it before they start spoiling tactics? Is could work well for them, if they have plans to be ready around the end of 2012 or even 2013. They can gauge the public appetite for a new generation nd have time to respond

I'm surprised nintendo are showing it publicly this early. If it's not out until next Christmas, doesn't that put some people off buying the Wii? I suppose they are confident that the buyers of Wiis now are not the sort of people to buy a Wii2 at launch, which seems fair enough.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Amir0x said:
oh god the story has got even crazier since I've been asleep

i'm surprised the thing can't shoot lasers. I can't wait to see the absurdity of its aesthetic

I too just woke up and its crazier indeed!
I am dying to see it. I have no idea what its going to be and how exactly will it be received, but some fireworks are guaranteed.

Game-Biz

Disorientator said:
That French site actually says "sun-screen".
Google Translator messed up.
First game revealed:

Nintendo_Beach_by_ChocolatePixel.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
kittoo said:
I too just woke up and its crazier indeed!
I am dying to see it. I have no idea what its going to be and how exactly will it be received, but some fireworks are guaranteed.

I mean my thing is no matter what the outcome guarantees hilarity. Even if they do manage a comfortable feel it is going to be the ugliest thing ever haha

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Amir0x said:
I mean my thing is no matter what the outcome guarantees hilarity. Even if they do manage a comfortable feel it is going to be the ugliest thing ever haha

Indeed! Roaming Gaf in those times is going to be glorious! Bring it on!

mrklaw said:
Wonder how long Sony/MS will leave it before they start spoiling tactics? Is could work well for them, if they have plans to be ready around the end of 2012 or even 2013. They can gauge the public appetite for a new generation nd have time to respond

Supposedly this Nintendo thing won't be available til late 2012. All MS and Sony have to do is some previews of what the real next generation of hardware will be capable of at E3 2012 and announce their intent to launch Holiday 2013 to undermine Nintendo.

upandaway

Kenka said:
Resistive or capacitive ? If it's capacitive, maybe it would detect the variation of voltage due to blinking or keeping eyes shut at a 1 cm distance, which... no, I am just thinking bullshit.
Nice to see you stopped yourself midway.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Why is everyone so stuck about this thing being able to detach? Wasn't it mentioned in the OP that the controller might be used as a sensor bar? Couldn't they just easily keep the wiimotes around? "if you want to play a wii game, keep your wiimotes!"

Is this too unlikely?

flak57

artwalknoon said:
No, we're just kicking silly ideas around. All the "real" rumors are in the OP.
Ah.

How's this for a silly idea. How about a Mario Kart where two people are playing. One person is a driver looking at the TV, and the other an item user.

The item user can look out the sides of the vehicle using the detected position/direction of where he is moving/pointing his controller, and from this perspective on his controller-screen he can hurl shells and bananas and what not at opposing drivers, as if he were within kart displayed on the TV.

Where this all falls apart is if the slightest obstruction of the sensors screws everything up, but it's fun to speculate weird shit, it is Nintendo after all.

mrklaw said:
I'm surprised nintendo are showing it publicly this early. If it's not out until next Christmas, doesn't that put some people off buying the Wii?

It doesn't make sense that Wii 2 will come out at the end of 2012.

By then Microsoft could easily have the next Xbox ready, and Nintendo's new system seems to rely on getting a head start.

Game-Biz

What's going to be amazing is if Sony, MS and Nintendo each all have their own unique "gimmick" next generation making ports an hassel no matter what.

pringles

Amir0x said:
When was the last time Nintendo released an ugly piece of hardware? The original DS? Everything since then has been really slick.

No idea how they're gonna combine all these different features into one solution but I'm pretty sure it won't look ugly.

HYDE

Banned
Kenka said:
Would the 6-inch screen be glasses ? 2*3 inches overall.

Your vision is filled and it doesn't seem that mysterious anymore.

17eiyc.jpg

Although, yes, 3'' per eye seems way big.

17eiyc.th.jpg

:)

nevermind.

My biggest wonder is what are Nintendo going to do online community wise? Are they going to go all Xbox live this time, nice intergrated systems that can be used in all games, leave it up to the game developers or do a something totally different?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Have any of these mockups thought of the possibility of a clamshell controller? Like a DSLite. In this case, the controller is the DSLite Closed, but when its opened up it reveals a touch screen + other shit...or something. IDK.

robor

wii_prototypes_1.jpg

Can someone do a mock-up of this^ following this description:

Vyer said:
Make it a little bigger, rearrange/remove/shrink the buttons on the right, shrink the stick on the left, add the second stick. THe real estate in the center is the touchscreen.

You could flip that part that rotates back down, to use like a current Wii controller. One handed, or spin it around, use it two handed like a current controller or smartphone.

?

I know the quality of the image is small and crappy but it would be interesting to see nonetheless.

HYDE

Banned
spons said:
The American SNES.

tumblr_kw2v0aseGO1qa5kxw.jpg

man makes a good point, and the controller only makes it hurt even more.

except that our x and y buttons are concaved, so we win there (the one pet peeve that i have with the classic controller other than the triggers).

mrklaw said:
I'm surprised nintendo are showing it publicly this early. If it's not out until next Christmas, doesn't that put some people off buying the Wii? I suppose they are confident that the buyers of Wiis now are not the sort of people to buy a Wii2 at launch, which seems fair enough.

They revealed the Wii at E3 a year before it launched too....

Amir0x

Banned
Equus Bellator Apex said:
When has Nintendo ever made something ugly?

Unless you were born at the DS era - and hell, even the DS era started with that grotesque brick - the Nintendo I know has made plenty of ugly pieces of hardware. I'm sorry but except for the Wii, the GBA SP/Micro and the DS Lite, each of their platforms has been just sort of middling or outright ugly.

And CONTROLLER-WISE, which is what we're discussing here, they've made some truly offensive looking controllers. The controllers might have worked and been even comfortable, but ugly they did look

upandaway

Stat Flow said:
Have any of these mockups thought of the possibility of a clamshell controller? Like a DSLite. In this case, the controller is the DSLite Closed, but when its opened up it reveals a touch screen + other shit...or something. IDK.
The DS... IS the controller.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
shinobi602 said:
What also makes me happy is if the Wii 2 is indeed "significantly" more powerful than 360/PS3, then that means the next Xbox and PS4 should easily sport hardware that shows off Battlefield 3 PC level visuals, even right at launch.

Exciting times :)
That depends on what the meaning of is is.

Jackano

"Funny" thing, at the second Nintendo decide to let many third party developers being involved sooner that usual, there is a huge flood of leaks everywhere.

Amir0x

Banned
Jackano said:
"Funny" thing, at the second Nintendo decide to let many third party developers being involved sooner that usual, there is a huge flood of leaks everywhere.

good maybe this time we'll get better games out of it. who cares about leaks. the earlier devs are on board, the quicker they'll come to terms with the hardware and start making better games

Also: I'm almost positive Nintendo does not give a shit that any of this info is out.

Caj814

plainr_ said:

With a controller like that, you won't have to worry about the number of face buttons anymore but I would worry about responsiveness if the screen got scratched or dropped which is pretty inevitable for just about every controller out there.

M_A_C

smallios74 said:
My biggest wonder is what are Nintendo going to do online community wise? Are they going to go all Xbox live this time, nice intergrated systems that can be used in all games, leave it up to the game developers or do a something totally different?

3DS is already a big leap in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom