• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoanarch

Jackano said:
"Funny" thing, at the second Nintendo decide to let many third party developers being involved sooner that usual, there is a huge flood of leaks everywhere.

Controlled leak. There is absolutely no way Nintendo didn't plan this.

French

Banned
plainr_ said:
2r5f814.gif

Pointers are already bad, but this, would be the worst controller ever.

Amir0x

Banned
French said:
but this, would be the worst controller ever.

Yup. It would be so awful that it'd be worth abandoning the platform entirely over. It's a guarantee to a generation of inferior control. Indisputably inferior.

No way Nintendo is incompetent enough to make something like that.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
512 MB of RAM is a little disappointing. Hopefully it is true that it's "at least" 512. Doesn't having low RAM gimp the system even if the GPU is powerful?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Whoa this thread is huge. Someone was assuring me a month or so ago it would not display Wii games in HD.

Would it look as good as Dolphin?

Edit: Actually, I guess it doesn't say if it'd be in HD or not.

antonz

Oblivion said:
512 MB of RAM is a little disappointing. Hopefully it is true that it's "at least" 512. Doesn't having low RAM gimp the system even if the GPU is powerful?
The French Specs are not accurate. They actually report they have no information at all about ram but assume it would have to be 512MB at the minimum.

Another site ran with that and said Confirmed 512MB!

Same goes for the GPU they openly say they think it will probably be R700 based. No solid details if it is or not and again another Site ran with Confirmed!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
antonz said:
The French Specs are not accurate. They actually report they have no information at all about ram but assume it would have to be 512MB at the minimum.

Same goes for the GPU they openly say they think it will probably be R700 based. No solid details if it is or not and again another Site ran with Confirmed!

Yeah, there is no way actual specs would leak out this early, especially if this is indeed a controlled leak (which I highly doubt anyways.)

J-Rock

Banned
So I'm guessing the controller might actually have decent speakers? I still have nightmares about the Wiimote speaker. *shivers*

The M.O.B

J-Rock said:
So I'm guessing the controller might actually have decent speakers? I still have nightmares about the Wiimote speaker. *shivers*

Hopefully no speakers at all, that thing was completely useless and painful to my ears, I always leave it turned off.

Stupid idea but, how about a transparent ips display attached to an adjustable headband to give a real life heads up display. The technology is there but its likely far too unwieldy and expensive, still while we're throwing out crazy ideas, at least this one can work with motion control. Make that thing s3d and you're in for some serious virtual reality shit.

robor

J-Rock said:

It's like trying to listen to music through a 100ft long pipe.

antonz said:

Oh, phew.

At least nothing's been confirmed, I was going to say there's no freaking way Nintendo will go with just 512mb of ram for a console in 2012.

Got damn smartphones today have double that.

J-Rock

Banned
The M.O.B said:
Hopefully no speakers at all, that thing completely useless, I always leave it turned off.

I dunno. I get the feeling they will want you to hear what is happening on the controller screen.

Medalion

Banned
The M.O.B said:
Hopefully no speakers at all, that thing was completely useless and painful to my ears, I always leave it turned off.
I remember they put that thing to sorta good use when I was playing Silent Hill Shattered Memories... freaked me out to hear static and voices coming out of my Wiimote while playing that game in the dark o_0

Medalion said:
I remember they put that thing to sorta good use when I was playing Silent Hill Shattered Memories... freaked me out to hear static and voices coming out of my Wiimote while playing that game in the dark o_0

That was a great example of a developer using a hardware limitation to their benefit.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
That hoax that a gaffer played during the revolution hype was immense. Who was that again?

Anyway it would not surprise me if AR gaming was big on the agenda and a camera, 6inch screen and streaming capabilities kinda hint at that. Only thing missing is 3D, but I don't think they would make a 3D screen touch sensitive as well, though I could be wrong.

It's probably nintendo is taking some inspiration from apple's iPad and this is their take on a tablet.

It would not surprise me if the console came with 1 accompanying tablet and the controllers (plural) were separate. Doesn't have to be one tablet per player. And if it was then I'd wager it would be still be seperate from the main controller.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
shinobi602 said:
Oh, phew.

At least nothing's been confirmed, I was going to say there's no freaking way Nintendo will go with just 512mb of ram for a console in 2012.

Got damn smartphones today have double that.
Don't under estimate them. Wii has like.. 88 MB?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DeathNote said:

Yeah, it was pretty bad, even when the GC was released that was on the lower mid end... by the time the Wii came out 88 was appalling. Still, they made it work somehow, which gives me hope for even 512, even if it isn't optimal, it's still a 5-6x increase.

Medalion

Banned
So the official project name for this console is PROJECT CAFE?

I hope this controller can also provide a nice IV drip of caffeine in between games in HD

The M.O.B said:

I thought it worked very well in a few very specific circumstances. Strangely, the best use I thought was in Samba De Amigo, allowing it to actually sound like a maraca. It was also helpful for knowing whose turn it was in Wii Sports and a few other games.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Man, this reminds me so much when we first heard about the DS, "third pillar" leaks with the first thing detail was that it would sport two screens. A lot of people were at a loss as to "why". Only later did we learn one of them would have a touchscreen.

----

By the way, I think this detail might be wrong...
..a front camera which acts as a Wii sensor bar...

I think the original soure, the 0.1 FR site, mistook a Wiimote IR camera for a sensor bar. There is no camera on the Wii's sensor bar.

The fact that this thread has ecplised any NGP thread is just a prelude to whats gonna happen at E3. In the wake of info of the Wii's successor NGP is gonna have a difficult time getting coverage from the non-gaming media. Mission accompished Nintendo.

Eversynth

DeathNote said:
What about the NGP? It has everything, including a touchscreen, except a 5" screen?
fDPIe.jpg
Something like this is what would make more sense (based on the speculation), but it would make the pointing function awkward.
*imagine holding that thing and going "pew pew" at the TV*

So there must be something very wrong with the rumors going on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This is getting crazy.

Also disappointed so many mockups are using the traditional pad as a template when two separate entities are much more comfortable.

Pointers and detached controllers need to be the future baby! Everything else can be subject to change.

Naked Prime said:
The fact that this thread has ecplised any NGP thread is just a prelude to whats gonna happen at E3. In the wake of info of the Wii's successor NGP is gonna have a difficult time getting coverage from the non-gaming media. Mission accompished Nintendo.

Anytime the big N talks, gamers drop dead and listen.

Even "hardcore" gamers like many here ;)

BGBW said:
Pointers and detached controllers need to be the future baby! Everything else can be subject to change.

...no.

Traditional controllers FTW.

Even though I know it's a lost cause, eventually motion gaming will take over. *sigh*

Medalion

Banned
shinobi602 said:
Anytime the big N talks, gamers drop dead and listen.

Even "hardcore" gamers like many here ;)
That's because hardcore gamers mostly grew up with Nintendo... they still have a soft spot for the big N

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Eversynth said:
Something like this is what would make more sense (based on the speculation), but it would make the pointing function awkward.
*imagine holding that thing and going "pew pew" at the TV*

So there must be something very wrong with the rumors going on.
Yeah, I don't get it being "more accurate than the move".

Medalion said:
That's because hardcore gamers mostly grew up with Nintendo... they still have a soft spot for the big N

Trust me, I couldn't agree with you more. Even though I don't a Wii, Nintendo is still number one in my heart.

Started when I got my first NES and Gameboy :')

antonz

Naked Prime said:

It sucks for Sony because the reality is as you said no matter what happens with NGP. Wii Successor is going to dominate the headlines. Noticed on yahoo the #1 trending search is Nintendo Wii 2 already.

Mistle

7sovjl.jpg

Wow, my mock up has 1200+ views in only 2 hours. That's more than the total of any of my proper artworks on DeviantART (which have been up for months/years), which is... cool, but slightly depressing lol. Is this the power of Gaf or would other sites perhaps be linking to it?

Luigiv

Amir0x said:
Yup. It would be so awful that it'd be worth abandoning the platform entirely over. It's a guarantee to a generation of inferior control. Indisputably inferior.

No way Nintendo is incompetent enough to make something like that.
Pretty much. Even I'd skip out on the system if it had a controller like this and I'm a huge Nintendo Fan.

However there are no worries of that happening, the 3DS is proof enough. If Nintendo thought that a touchscreen was a viable replacement for all physical buttons they would have done it on the 3DS. Instead we got more physical inputs on the device.

Amir0x

Banned
Luigiv said:
Pretty much. Even I'd skip out on the system if it had a controller like this and I'm a huge Nintendo Fan.

However there are no worries of that happening, the 3DS is proof enough. If Nintendo thought that a touchscreen was a viable replacement for all physical buttons they would have done it on the 3DS. Instead we got more physical inputs on the device.

Yup. I have no fears that Nintendo would do that. If they thought they received less games before? With such a controller they'd be even more cut off.

Andrex said:
Yeah, it was pretty bad, even when the GC was released that was on the lower mid end... by the time the Wii came out 88 was appalling. Still, they made it work somehow, which gives me hope for even 512, even if it isn't optimal, it's still a 5-6x increase.
RAM is actually the only area where the Wii was significantly upgraded, given the rest of the specs they certainly weren't conservative there.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Mistle said:
7sovjl.jpg

Wow, my mock up has 1200+ views in only 2 hours. That's more than any of my proper artworks on DeviantART, which is... cool, but slightly depressing lol. Is this the power of Gaf or would other sites perhaps be linking to it?
By the way, the screen in that mockup seems to be closer to 4.5 inches. The total width of the Wavebird is exact same width of a 6 inch wide screen display, without a bezel.

Mistle

DeathNote said:
Really? Wow, I never knew that. That's ridiculous, haha. I guess they made it work though.

Gahiggidy said:
By the way, the screen in that mockup seems to be closer to 4.5 inches. The total width of the Wavebird is exact same width of a 6 inch wide screen display, without a bezel.
Yeah, it's not to scale, and I doubt it's a serious possibility. I just thought it was a nice concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom