• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
shinobi602 said:
...no.

Traditional controllers FTW.

Even though I know it's a lost cause, eventually motion gaming will take over. *sigh*
But I didn't mention motion. Just a pointer for menu selections and a controller split in two so my hand are free to be where they want to be. I don't see why this would be bad.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
good maybe this time we'll get better games out of it. who cares about leaks. the earlier devs are on board, the quicker they'll come to terms with the hardware and start making better games

Also: I'm almost positive Nintendo does not give a shit that any of this info is out.
ubisoft got their 'months' ago. now we know why we haven't seen beyond good & evil 2 in so long.
because it'll be a minigame launch title for the new nintendo system! :D

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
now we know why we haven't seen beyond good & evil 2 in so long.

i will kill you

Edit: LOL @ Nintendo talking to Rockstar being news

AWESOME for Pikmins. Finally, Pikmin 3 will fill me with holy love. Hope it's more Pikmin 2 than Pikmin 1. I don't want them to rush it for launch and then have a deficient third Pikmin game.

Luigiv

Andrex said:
Yeah, it was pretty bad, even when the GC was released that was on the lower mid end... by the time the Wii came out 88 was appalling. Still, they made it work somehow, which gives me hope for even 512, even if it isn't optimal, it's still a 5-6x increase.
Given the Wii's other specs, 88MB is actually pretty decent. More then that would have hard to take advantage of, given limits of the processors (eg, textures are already texel draw limited as it is).

The device could have used more VRAM, though.

Quasar

Medalion said:
That's because hardcore gamers mostly grew up with Nintendo... they still have a soft spot for the big N

The console folks at least (certainly in all the circles I ever travelled all the hardcore games grew up on computers, whether they were IBMPCs, Commodore, Atari, TRS80, or Apple). And even then I wonder if that's regional. Here it seemed like the Sega dominated until the Playstation appeared.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
AniHawk said:
ubisoft got their 'months' ago. now we know why we haven't seen beyond good & evil 2 in so long.

Why do you do these things?

Amir0x

Banned
Quasar said:
The console folks at least (certainly in all the circles I ever travelled all the hardcore games grew up on computers, whether they were IBMPCs, Commodore, Atari, TRS80, or Apple). And even then I wonder if that's regional. Here it seemed like the Sega dominated until the Playstation appeared.

I know I have a soft spot for Nintendo. That's why I hate on them so often. If I didn't love what they represent, the amazing catalogue of games they have created over the years, they wouldn't be worth the effort to smear for their recent decline.

I hate because I love, you know the sayin'. Tough love and all that.

No developer makes games as high quality as Nintendo. They understand that these are games, not movies, and they make so their games are positively brimming with the sort of happy-go-lucky energy that makes this hobby such a joy.

Anihawk said:
you can try

ASSASSINO!

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
No developer makes games as high quality as Nintendo. They understand that these are games, not movies, and they make so their games are positively brimming with the sort of happy-go-lucky energy that makes this hobby such a joy.
valve doesn't make games with the same wide appeal nintendo does, but i think they are the consistently best developer around these days.

Amir0x

Banned
GCX said:
While I don't really trust these kinds of rumors I think it's pretty much a given that some games that we've heard nothing about in ages (Pkimin 3, Dragon Quest X..) have moved to Wii2.

Eh? Enix just confirmed a few days ago DQX was still coming to Wii.

Anihawk said:
valve doesn't make games with the same wide appeal nintendo does, but i think they are the consistently best developer around these days.

I love VALVE and certainly they are one of the only other developers at the same level as Nintendo.

rekameohs

Banned
Here's my mockup. I tried putting in all of the features rumored to be in the controller. I think I got them all.

GvV8R.png

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
rekameohs said:
Here's my mockup. I tried putting in all of the features rumored to be in the controller. I think I got them all.
Brilliant. So many great touches.
So flexible. Truly a controller for the masses.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Luigiv said:
Given the Wii's other specs, 88MB is actually pretty decent. More then that would have hard to take advantage of, given limits of the processors (eg, textures are already texel draw limited as it is).

PS3:
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

Just saying.

Edit: Quoted the wrong guy, sorry Luigiv :) This was meant to the guy you quoted^^

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I have been told that this new Pikmin game will indeed be at E3 in video form.
People who have seen the game have told me that it looks drop dead gorgeous.
This makes me doubt the rumor. Nintendo's not likely to show video of games running 18 months before launch. We didn't see a single game running on the Wii until the E3 before its November release. Even the Spaceworld 2000 stuff was mostly renders. Nor do I believe Nintendo is showing off the game to anyone outside of top management.

AniHawk

redbarchetta said:
New rumor alert! (like we don't have enough)

Pikmin Coming to Project Cafe. Nintendo Talking with Rockstar

Regardless of the rumor, Pikmin 3 would make a ton of sense. Besides having not heard anything about it in years, using a touchscreen to select and manage Pikmin could be really great.

makes sense to replace pikmin with kirby. i imagine pikmin 3 might have been in the planning stages for the wii at some point, but sometime last year they had already decided to make it a new console game instead of a 2011 release. so when miyamoto was asked what system it was coming out for, he just lied instead of revealing that a new system was coming out relatively soon.

if gta 5 is next year, then it makes sense to have it as a launch title... not that it would mean much. i imagine a lot of these late-gen, development hell games, like beyond good & evil 2 and half-life 3 might be launch titles if they're releasing on ps3, 360, and pc in late-ish 2012.

i'm really surprised nintendo hasn't opened up a relationship with valve. i know valve's idea of providing value and not shitting on customers with stupidly high prices for forever goes against nintendo's recent philosophy, but as far as game design goes, i bet they're kinda similar.

but they're all the way in oregon...

Came in here expecting bullshit, but this is huge. There's no announcement like nintendo announcements. The timing on this is genius with Sony and ms locked into their machines for the next bunch of years.

Instro

DQX might still be a wii game, but I could see an HD version being released as a launch title as well for the next system. Wouldnt be a bad idea, unless DQX is ready for release this year.

GCX

Andrex said:
But they said it would be a few days ago...
Yeah, Horii should've totally said "We moved the game to that unannounced Nintendo console that I'm not supposed to talk about yet lol!"

Antagon

A wiimote shaped controller with a screen over the entire upperside of it and haptic feedback + a pressure sensitive screen (so it could sense the difference between resting your finger on it and pushing down) sounds the most probable to me.

Sounds like that immersion haptic technology might be convincing enough to simulate buttons, analogs sticks, etc. This way games can have custom button layouts or even implement completely new controls.

maeda

Gahiggidy said:
This makes me doubt the rumor. Nintendo's not likely to show video of games running 18 months before launch. We didn't see a single game running on the Wii until the E3 before its November release. Even the Spaceworld 2000 stuff was mostly renders. Nor do I believe Nintendo is showing off the game to anyone outside of top management.
Actually most of the Spaceworld 2000 stuff was real time. The only CG one was WaveRace.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GCX said:
Yeah, Horii should've totally said "We moved the game to that unannounced Nintendo console that I'm not supposed to talk about yet lol!"

Hey, it's practically what Ono did.

DeathNote said:
What about the NGP? It has everything, including a touchscreen, except a 5" screen?
fDPIe.jpg

Yep, The controller wouldn't have to be any wider than the NGP.
Going with the idea it is a conventional 6" tablet screen, it would probably be 4.8" by 3.6", rather than widescreen. That would give you another inch of height to comfortably fit the controls along the sides.

IDK if its because it's 4 in the morning here or if its because I have gone pretty crazy with the head ache and lack of sleep but ... I think I can see how all the shit for this controller can actually fit together. And if I knew more about the tech behind the screen (Like, is it JUST a touch screen display with ALL the info coming from the console or what? Because if its ONLY that then maybe its not nearly as pricey as it sounds)

Maybe I should draw a mock up later.

Aeana

GCX said:
Well, we'll see. The game was announced two and half years ago so I have my doubts.

I know DQVII for example came out on PS1 when PS2 was already out but the difference here is that Wii is already dead in Japan. And the game is not coming out at least in another year or so.
There is a 0% chance that a numbered Dragon Quest game will release on a new, unproven system with a small userbase. If DQ10 comes out on Wii2, then it will not come out until the Wii2 has established itself, which would take years.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
i'm really surprised nintendo hasn't opened up a relationship with valve. i know valve's idea of providing value and not shitting on customers with stupidly high prices for forever goes against nintendo's recent philosophy, but as far as game design goes, i bet they're kinda similar.

but they're all the way in oregon...
Valve are all about platform equality. I'm sure there would have been a strong alliance between Nintendo and Valve if the Wii could run Source games sufficiently.

I wouldn't be that surprised if Nintendo tried to one up Gabe's Sony conference arrival from last year and had Half-Life 3 debut at the Wii 2 unveiling.

That's a lie, I actually would be a bit surprised. But I could still see it happening, if Nintendo have done their homework on what actually matters to the 'hardcore'.

Having a bunch of big, respected multiplatform games demonstrated in graphically superior versions at the e3 conference would be a very important step in altering the dedicated gamer demographics' perception of Nintendo.

GCX

Aeana said:
There is a 0% chance that a numbered Dragon Quest game will release on a new, unproven system with a small userbase. If DQ10 comes out on Wii2, then it will not come out until the Wii2 has established itself, which would take years.
And I don't think a numbered DQ will release on a console that has been dead for two years before its release.

midonnay

redbarchetta said:
No idea who you mean, but I do remember people flipping out over...

it was pablo belmonte who apparently works at gameloft now (yes I google stalked him awhile back)

such an awesome video.....still watch it often.

someone has to top it!!!

Cygnus X-1

Forkball said:
I'm going to be pretty disappointed if the controller doesn't have buttons. I NEED BUTTONS.

Let's suppose that the layout of the controller is entirely touch, thus permitting to customize buttons for every game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Krev said:
Valve are all about platform equality. I'm sure there would have been a strong alliance between Nintendo and Valve if the Wii could run Source games sufficiently.

I wouldn't be that surprised if Nintendo tried to one up Gabe's Sony conference arrival from last year and had Half-Life 3 debut at the Wii 2 unveiling.

That's a lie, I actually would be a bit surprised. But I could still see it happening, if Nintendo have done their homework on what actually matters to the 'hardcore'.

Having a bunch of big, respected multiplatform games demonstrated in graphically superior versions at the e3 conference would be a very important step in altering the dedicated gamer demographics' perception of Nintendo.

That would be even remotely plausible if Valve had set a precedent for such a thing. Not only will they not make other platform owners wait on a game purely because of an as-yet unavailable console, they wouldn't announce a game ~18 months before it's due to hit shelves (Episode Three's informal announcement notwithstanding).

Cygnus X-1 said:
Let's suppose that the layout of the controller is entirely touch, thus permitting to customize buttons for every game.

And how will you be able to determine exactly where your thumb is without looking at the touch screen? Having physical buttons allows you to "feel" your way around the controller.

Black-Wind said:
IDK if its because it's 4 in the morning here or if its because I have gone pretty crazy with the head ache and lack of sleep but ... I think I can see how all the shit for this controller can actually fit together. And if I knew more about the tech behind the screen (Like, is it JUST a touch screen display with ALL the info coming from the console or what? Because if its ONLY that then maybe its not nearly as pricey as it sounds)

I think it's unlikely to be much more than that, It should have enough processing power to decode some form of video stream, so it could perhaps run simple apps as an alternative to doing that.

Luigiv

Bufbaf said:
PS3:
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

Just saying.
You completely missed my point. Yes 91MB isn't much next to the 512MB in the PS3 and 522Mb in the X360, but the same also goes for the Wii's specs overall next to the HD twins. Anything more then about 100MB main memory would have been a complete waste in the Wii, as you would start to get bottlenecked by the CPU and GPU at that point. But yeah, like I said, the 3MB VRAM is itself a bottleneck in the systems current configuration. If the system had twice the VRAM it would look so much damn better on a HDTV.

Aeana

GCX said:
And I don't think a numbered DQ will release on a console that has been dead for two years before its release.
What determines whether it is alive or dead? Rate of new Wii sales? Rate of new software releases? 11.5 million Wiis have been sold in Japan, and that is what matters. Also, it can't be completely dead or DKCR wouldn't have sold 870k to date on it in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom