• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameSeeker

It would be nice if Nintendo actually released a next-generation console that would leapfrog what we are playing today, but that would be completely out of nature for Nintendo, so don't hold your breath.

A Wii HD will be like the 3DS. Current technology packaged together with a twist (2 screens for DS, motion controls for Wii, 3D for 3DS).

Nintendo will not be a technology leader with the Wii HD anymore than the 3DS is a technology leader compared to NGP.

Cruzader said:
What? Um isnt that how its been? Sorry if Im misunderstood.

Im sure Wii2 will be like PS3. How am I trollin?

if by how it's been you mean wii then yes.
the gamecube, n64 , snes where all safely on close to/above what the competition tech wise .
and handheld wise ds was exactly the leap expected compared to gba, the psp just entered the game and through off expectations.

Regulus Tera said:
This shit is gonna be fucking expensive isn't it?

Completely depends on what they are putting in it, really.
And I think after a slower than expected 3DS launch, they won't jack up the price too much.

Donnie

Steve Youngblood said:
Or what? I'm not sure we're on the same page here. I understand that new hardware is always exciting and grounds for speculation, but there is analysis -- both optimistic and pessimistic -- about Nintendo's next-gen strategy that seems a little silly to me here when we know next to nothing right now. That's all I'm getting at. I don't know why that would be construed as dumb or playing dumb.

Nintendo's last console (Wii) was only a small upgrade in power from the previous system (GC). So obviously the idea of a system that's well over a generation more powerful then Wii from Nintendo excites Nintendo fans. It also means we won't be waiting until 2014 for a console more powerful then 360/PS3 which excites everyone. I'm just not sure why anyone would need that to be spelt out for them, which is why I made that original comment.

neptunes

-Pyromaniac- said:
but what happens if a ton of gamers don't go onto that wii 2 wagon and opt to wait for ps4/720, while casuals don't go onto it either, as they are a pretty unpredictable/fickle bunch.

I don't know. I want to say the person to release their new shit first, especially by a large margin always has the biggest advantage but for some reason I think this time remains the most iffy. So many variables.
What?!!? the Wii came out a year after the 360 (05-06) and was weaker and still ended up selling the most. It goes both ways. A year's head start doesn't mean much if you think your product is different enough to sell on its own.

Mrbob

Selling the most consoles doesn't mean much when your software lineup consists of mostly cheap priced shovel ware. There needs to be a balance. The Wii doesn't have it.

Regulus Tera said:

Going to need at least 4 jobs to afford it!

Donnie

Instro said:
Maybe Im not remembering correctly but wasnt the actual rumor that the 3DS was able to pull off some effects found in current gen hardware?

Yeah basically that's what IGN said, 3DS can do a lot of 360/PS3 style effects as well so its not as if they were talking shit.

I really don't care to speculate on how powerful the hardware is, it has almost been a full 6 years since the Xbox 360 was first manufactured and Nintendo has shown in the past that they can produce high-performance consoles at consumer friendly prices, so I'm fairly confident about the rumoured hardwares performance.

What I am concerned about is launch support and the online infrastructure. 3DS has been my first Nintendo hardware since the SNES, and while I can appreciate the potential, the past 2 weeks haven't exactly blown my socks off (aside from the amazing screen obviously!).

My first post on Gaf, in an epic thread no less! Exciting times.

Cruzader said:
What? Um isnt that how its been? Sorry if Im misunderstood.

Im sure Wii2 will be like PS3. How am I trollin?

Probably because you are?? You make it seem like every Nintendo system has created has been under powered, when that's the farthest from the truth.

ant1532

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
This basically confirms you should never listen to what Reggie has to say unless someone from NOJ confirms it.

45 million units lol
Well Reggie said to expect some more Nintendo surprise announcements before E3 at the last 3DS event before it came out ....

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Our sources have said the the console is significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and that Nintendo's intent is to recapture the hardcore market.

i'm ready for next-gen, if this is true, this may be my first nintendo console sense the snes

Mrbob

Phonomezer said:
I really don't care to speculate on how powerful the hardware is, it has almost been a full 6 years since the Xbox 360 was first manufactured and Nintendo has shown in the past that they can produce high-performance consoles at consumer friendly prices, so I'm fairly confident about the rumoured hardwares performance.

What I am concerned about is launch support and the online infrastructure. 3DS has been my first Nintendo hardware since the SNES, and while I can appreciate the potential, the past 2 weeks haven't exactly blown my socks off (aside from the amazing screen obviously!).

My first post on Gaf, in an epic thread no less! Exciting times.

Agreed about the online situation. This needs to be a top priority alongside hardware boost.

Cruzader

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
I could see tops $300 and thats cheap if its gonna be catered for the 'hardcore'. I would pay more if it has a more robust and open online system.

Nintendo normally are the ones who dont release new hardware and go "$600 bitches!" lol, so I think we shouldnt worry about the price.

jintek

Banned
I'm calling a achievement-like system right now. As for pure horsepower, it'll probably edge out the 360/PS3 but not by a landslide. I'm thinking Nintendo wants a reliable system, over a superpowered failure-prone system...

I also hope they launch BOTH a next-gen Wiimote and a new traditional gamepad in box on launch day. Let dev's decide where they want to go.

Raide

Teetris said:
Classic controller + Wii remote by default in the box

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Pfft. Knowing Nintendo and their love for selling more controllers to people, it will be a totally new control setup.

antonz

The new control method is the big secret to find out. Going HD was known and stated years ago by Nintendo. 3rd Parties complained alot that the wiimote didnt have enough buttons so im expecting a more traditional control scheme with all the bells and whistles of the wiimote

mantidor

HunkyDory said:
I really hope that Nintendo have just given up on the vitality sensor.

Did they ever say how it was supposed to work? The only thing that I can think is that it takes a crude measure of galvanic skin response, which wouldn't be anywhere near reliable enough to realise the kind of gameplay ideas that people were coming up with when it was announced.

hmm it measures pulse as far as we know, that can have multiple applications, pulse sensors are, I assume, very reliable, I mean your fingers alone can feel the pulse in your wrist, it doesn't require super sensitivity.

jintek said:
I'm calling a achievement-like system right now. As for pure horsepower, it'll probably edge out the 360/PS3 but not by a landslide. I'm think Nintendo wants a reliable system, over a superpowered failure-prone system...

I also hope they launch BOTH a next-gen Wiimote and a new traditional gamepad in box on launch day. Let dev's decide where they want to go.

Then you are calling wrong.

Donnie said:
Nintendo's last console (Wii) was only a small upgrade in power from the previous system (GC). So obviously the idea of a system that's well over a generation more powerful then Wii from Nintendo excites Nintendo fans. It also means we won't be waiting until 2014 for a console more powerful then 360/PS3 which excites everyone. I'm just not sure why anyone would need that to be spelt out for them, which is why I made that original comment.
I still don't think you follow me. I get general excitement at new hardware. Bases on known info, though, I don't get optimistic analysis that Nintendo is really trying to win the arms race, or the skeptical analysis that they're biting off more they can chew. Such speculation is premature.

Balb

Cruzader said:
I could see tops $300 and thats cheap if its gonna be catered for the 'hardcore'. I would pay more if it has a more robust and open online system.

Nintendo normally are the ones who dont release new hardware and go "$600 bitches!" lol, so I think we shouldnt worry about the price.

It's kind of hard to make that assumption. After all, the 3DS broke Nintendo's old handheld philosophy in many ways, including the price.

I don't think Nintendo has ever released a console over $250, but that's going to change.

pakkit

Banned
If it can output Wii games in HD...and have a competent online component...and garner enough 3rd party support that gamers no longer have to suffer through gaming droughts...then I might be back on board.

I loved the Wii, but it was sometimes a really tough nut to crack.

If this is their attempt to recapture the hardcore market, I wonder if they're going to create a direct Wii successor to continue their mass market success? At the very least, I'm curious if they're going to continue to pursue motion control or leave the gaming scheme that they pioneered.

neptunes said:
What?!!? the Wii came out a year after the 360 (05-06) and was weaker and still ended up selling the most. It goes both ways. A year's head start doesn't mean much if you think your product is different enough to sell on its own.
yeah but if the rumours are true then this product doesn't sound too different then what is already out there. That's why I say this time remains the most iffy.

About time! This generation has devolved into all the publishers gathered around a dead horse beating it with rehashes and Call of Duty clones.

AceBandage said:

If they want to grab that hardcore crowd then they better have an achievement/trophy system. I know some don't like it (I personally don't care for it), but it's clearly something that many people have taken a liking to. There's no reason to ignore it.

jintek

Banned
AceBandage said:

:(

Yeah probably, but if there's anything Nintendo could/should adopt from competitors that'll be well received and cheap...it's a achievement system w/ a "Nintendo flavor". I'd love to see a more complex community-type achievement sticker system. But who knows, E3 should be Nintendo's for the 2nd year in a row! :)

King of the Potato People said:
Here’s hoping the Wii goes out with a bang, rather than a long, long whimper.

If a bang is that in the US it receives tons of olde titles in need of localization, then I guess thats a bang, but that wont halt its swift precipitous decline in overseas markets, and I cant imagine people will keep buying Wii Fit Plus Plus Plus, and Wii ______, releasing very swiftly with limited marketing. 2012 is so late, that I wonder if they will hopefully offer at least 4 solid fresh Wii titles before then, this year, seems like we are lucky to receive 4.

donny2112

Will wait on buying Wii Play: Motion until its confirmed if the new system uses Wii Motion Plus controllers. Got enough controllers, so don't want to buy more, if they can't be used on the new system. Simultaneous multi-player Wii Fit, finally?

This rumor excites me. I (and quite a few others) totally saw it coming, though.

However, I still greatly worry about those smaller companies who don't really have the resources to make amazing graphics. I just hope they will be able to release those amazing, niche games that will look good and sell at full price.

jintek said:
I'm calling a achievement-like system right now.

I would actually like to see them expand on the Play Coins (a set amount earned per game for example) that you can actually use for something. The Play Coins could tie in nicely with the 3DS and vice versa.

StickSoldier said:
Probably because you are?? You make it seem like every Nintendo system has created has been under powered, when that's the farthest from the truth.

honestly, the wii has re-visioned history hard for some people .
In regards to Wii 2/ super wii I think nintendo will try the same strategy they have for 3ds right now. The graphics will more or less be Ps3/360 level polygon/whatever wise but with the new fancy stuff of the the modern day. I'd be hard pressed to believe it's only will be any better than the 3dses structure maybe one improvement more if we're lucky, they will try to get 3rd more third parties on board and there will be some new special "gimmick".

Why would you do that? said:
This rumor excites me. I (and quite a few others) totally saw it coming, though.

However, I still greatly worry about those smaller companies who don't really have the resources to make amazing graphics. I just hope they will be able to release those amazing, niche games that will look good and sell at full price.

The 3DS exists for them, along with downloadable services.

Donnie

GameSeeker said:
It would be nice if Nintendo actually released a next-generation console that would leapfrog what we are playing today, but that would be completely out of nature for Nintendo, so don't hold your breath.

A Wii HD will be like the 3DS. Current technology packaged together with a twist (2 screens for DS, motion controls for Wii, 3D for 3DS).

Nintendo will not be a technology leader with the Wii HD anymore than the 3DS is a technology leader compared to NGP.

Do you have a NGP then? As far as I know, its not released yet and may not be for another year..

Chittagong

Gold Member
Mrbob said:
Would it be crazy if Sony just decided to ride out most of this entire upcoming generation with the PS3 and PSP2? Maybe they launch the next Playstation in 2016 and then they are first mover for the next next generation of consoles! I don't see how being late in 2013 or 2014 does them any favors, unless this new Nintendo system is all smoke and mirrors from what we actually get.

Chittadamus needs to go to work on a new thread! :D

I will really need to sit down and figure out what I'd do if I was them now, and then write a thread about it :)

my intuition says that the new Nintendo console uses some cheap variation of fairly modern graphics tech, enough to make it look really awesome until the other players reveal their tech, at which point it will look just "ok". sort of what's happening with the 3DS vs. NGP.

Because Nintendo's ideals certainly haven't shifted from enjoying rolling money from hardware - 3DS tech is dirt cheap. Nintendo's new console will appear cutting edge only because of how old everything else is, not because it will have killer tech.

Meanwhile the rivalry will once again be between Microsoft and Sony, which will make their maneuvering in relation to each other most interesting. Microsoft definitely benefited beating Sony to the market last time around, I expect them to attempt the same this time too. They're in a prisoner's dilemma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom