• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Mrbob said:
You need to make an updated post in 2011 with what you think MS and Sony reaction will be to this. They can't be happy if Nintendo truly is going to make a hardware monster because it is going to eat into their longevity. Especially if Nintendo truly is going to jump two generations ahead of the Wii and make sure their new system is in the same ball park as what Sony and MS offer. First mover seems to be an advantage more often than not.

I think Nintendo's new console won't be quite in the ballpark with Sony's and Microsoft's new console tech. It will look super high end with 1080P, AA, advanced shaders but only because PS3 and 360 are 6-7y old tech.

To be honest, I can't quite figure out how Microsoft and Sony could play next generation to their advantage. I think their best bet is just to sit still and let Nintendo do their thing, so that once they introduce a new console it will be leagues beyond Nintendo but still won't break the bank.

The winner in all this is Nintendo. They get started with the first mover advantage, capture back some core gamers, gain the perception of being a tech leader and coast on fairy inexpensive tech, all this on the back of launching off cycle.

Cruzader

Banned
LOL always find new ninty hardware funny and its fans too.

Lag a few generations and then one day have current gen specs and people go nuts like its gonna be out of this world.

Guess its something only true nintendo fans can experience as other companies normally have up to date consoles every generation and know what to expect.

Great news though. Nintendo fans desperately need an upgrade on their hardware and I applaud Nintendo for finally doing the jump.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Assuming these rumours are true, mixed reports on hardware power would have me believe it's not as powerful as the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3, at least not in all areas.

It reminds me of the 3DS gossip. Some were saying it was very powerful, others were saying it was weaker than the Wii. What we've got is a system that is quite powerful in some areas (eg: shaders), that may even surpass the Wii, but weaker in other areas (triangle count) over the Wii.

If it were objectively more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, I cant see why any developer would say otherwise. If they cant decide if it is they're either idiots, or it's horsepower falls much closer to the other two systems than one might expect.

J-Rock

Banned
Riddick said:
It's sad that old consoles in the end of their lifecycle are the standard the new Nintendo console is measured. I bet it's as "more powerful" as 3DS is to PSP which isn't nearly enough.

Isn't nearly enough for what exactly? Quality games? I'm sure the 3DS will have it's share.

Looking back, I'm glad I didn't buy a Wii. This however is in my watchlist as long as Nintendo right all the wrongs. If they are after hardcore gamers, there are a lot of thing they need to fix, starting with the lackluster online.

rikichi said:
no more heroes no more heroes no more heroes no more heroes

Suda has pretty much already said it'll happen at some point on Nintendo's next system.

Cruzader said:

Lag a few generations and then one day have current gen specs and people go nuts like its gonna be out of this world.

Guess its something only true nintendo fans can experience as other companies normally have up to date consoles every generation and know what to expect.

Great news though. Nintendo fans desperately need an upgrade on their hardware and I applaud Nintendo for finally doing the jump.

One system = a few generations?
Do what?

Cruzader said:

Nice troll.

Donnie

Riddick said:
It's sad that old consoles in the end of their lifecycle are the standard the new Nintendo console is measured. I bet it's as "more powerful" as 3DS is to PSP which isn't nearly enough.

What? You bet its going to be 4 or 5 times as powerful as 360/PS3?? That seems more then enough to me :)

EatChildren said:
Assuming these rumours are true, mixed reports on hardware power would have me believe it's not as powerful as the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3, at least not in all areas.

It reminds me of the 3DS gossip. Some were saying it was very powerful, others were saying it was weaker than the Wii. What we've got is a system that is quite powerful in some areas (eg: shaders), that may even surpass the Wii, but weaker in other areas (triangle count) over the Wii.

If it were objectively more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, I cant see why any developer would say otherwise. If they cant decide if it is they're either idiots, or it's horsepower falls much closer to the other two systems than one might expect.

Yeah, didn't someone at IGN throw the rumor out there that 3DS was on par with ps3, or even better? Let's wait for E3 at least.

I'm more interested in the game media storage solution itself.

They won't go bluray, so my guess is proprietary holographic discs of some kind. They've been toying with holographic sotrage since the gamecube days.

As for the hardware power, the wii was based on some 5 year old hardware standards, if the have indicated that they intend to recapture the western graphics whore cod crowd, then they're not gonna release a console based on 7 year hardware in 2012, that would be pushing the wii philosophy.

Lord_Byron28 said:
Interesting. I wonder what next control style they're thinking of.

As for appealing to more Westerner/dudebro hopefully they understand how difficult that'd be to appeal to 3rd parties for AAA dudebro games on their next system. I also imagine they'll get monster games to develop either an Excite, Wave Race or F-Zero game. Next Level could make another popular sports game or another Punchout since the Wii version did pretty well in the west. I suspect Retro would likely be working on something as well.

I hope they could also revitalize Star Fox. Take the same formula from the 64 version but expand it out further include online multiplayer and co-op.

What the dudebros really want is COMPETITION . They may not know it, but what drives all the dudebro games is not violence, its competition. Thats why dudebros like sport games, racing games etc etc

Nintendo needs to have an online system that provides competition amongst bros

Donnie said:
Are you just playing dumb or?..
Or what? I'm not sure we're on the same page here. I understand that new hardware is always exciting and grounds for speculation, but there is analysis -- both optimistic and pessimistic -- about Nintendo's next-gen strategy that seems a little silly to me here when we know next to nothing right now. That's all I'm getting at. I don't know why that would be construed as dumb or playing dumb.

Instro

Ickman3400 said:
Yeah, didn't someone at IGN throw the rumor out there that 3DS was on par with ps3, or even better? Let's wait for E3 at least.

Maybe Im not remembering correctly but wasnt the actual rumor that the 3DS was able to pull off some effects found in current gen hardware?

HunkyDory

Neo Member
Galvanise_ said:
Yeah, I reckon there'll be a biometric aspect to the console. The Vitality sensor disappeared up Nintendo's arse. It'll likely make a comeback in a new form.

I really hope that Nintendo have just given up on the vitality sensor.

Did they ever say how it was supposed to work? The only thing that I can think is that it takes a crude measure of galvanic skin response, which wouldn't be anywhere near reliable enough to realise the kind of gameplay ideas that people were coming up with when it was announced.

I'd be happy enough to just see a beefed up Wii without any gimmicks like the vitality sensor.

Keyouta

I don't think that Skyward Sword will do a platform jump like Twilight Princess did. It's unreasonable, and c'mon, we need at least 1 Zelda game for the Wii that's built from the ground up.

I am excited.

Medalion

Banned
Nintendo is probably crazy enough to do something the "nintendo way" to be different, they release a very very powerful console but still doesn't do HD

KAL2006

Banned
It's obviously going to be much powerful than PS3/360, however it will be way weaker than PS4/720

I think it doesn't matter though, Nintendo will use the head start to get the 3rd party support for prettier multiplatform game but that won't be their trump card, there trump card is what it always has been, Nintendo games, people are going to go bonkers when they see Mario HD with crazy new gameplay possibilities due to extra horsepower, maybe more open world like Sunshine and 64 but highly detailed with tons of enemies on screen at once. Same for their other franchises like Metroid and even Wii Sports. However once PS4/720 drop I think it will be Wii vs PS3/360 all over again meaning the competitors getting the multiplatform games due to extra power. But because of Wii 2's head start it should have a nicer library of games before the other 2 consoles drop.

Sadist

Serenade said:
The person who leaked it should have it was more powerful than superman, batman, spider-man, and the incredible hulk put together. That would end all of this ambiguous discussion in heartbeat

"Didn't you hear? Hulk is strongest there is!"

BertramCooper said:
I don't see this happening, especially if they're switching up the controller.

Plus, Wii needs something this holiday.
It's not like the Gamecube controller and the Wii Remote are exactly the same.

Cruzader said:
What? Um isnt that how its been? Sorry if Im misunderstood.

Im sure Wii2 will be like PS3. How am I trollin?

The GameCube wasn't 'lagging' in tech. It was easily beyond the PS2, and near Xbox in everything except shaders.

The Wii was the first time they went with an appreciably weaker system than the competition when it comes to consoles.

Historically people have expected Nintendo portables to be modest because of battery life concerns primarily. The 3DS is the first to buck that trend.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This basically confirms you should never listen to what Reggie has to say unless someone from NOJ confirms it.

45 million units lol

HunkyDory said:
I really hope that Nintendo have just given up on the vitality sensor.

Did they ever say how it was supposed to work? The only thing that I can think is that it takes a crude measure of galvanic skin response, which wouldn't be anywhere near reliable enough to realise the kind of gameplay ideas that people were coming up with when it was announced.

I'd be happy enough to just see a beefed up Wii without any gimmicks like the vitality sensor.

it seems like at VALVE they seem to love biometrics too, so the may be up to something!!

Donnie

Cruzader said:

Do you practice bitter condescension often?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Chittagong said:
I think Nintendo's new console won't be quite in the ballpark with Sony's and Microsoft's new console tech. It will look super high end with 1080P, AA, advanced shaders but only because PS3 and 360 are 6-7y old tech.

To be honest, I can't quite figure out how Microsoft and Sony could play next generation to their advantage. I think their best bet is just to sit still and let Nintendo do their thing, so that once they introduce a new console it will be leagues beyond Nintendo but still won't break the bank.

The winner in all this is Nintendo. They get started with the first mover advantage, capture back some core gamers, gain the perception of being a tech leader and coast on fairy inexpensive tech, all this on the back of launching off cycle.

A number of the latter suggestions depend on what MS/Sony show. And where this sits vs their stuff. We will most likely know what the competition looks like before Nintendo's system releases - if Nintendo's machine doesn't hold up against them reasonably, and doesn't have some other stand-out attraction, I wouldn't be nearly as rosy on its outlook. Particularly for core players, the current 360/PS3 base especially.

If Nintendo's platform is 'good enough' vs what MS and Sony later show then they could sew the seeds for the situation you paint.

HOLY SHIT

This is gonna be awesome. I hope it trounces PS3 and 360 in power. Wow, this came out of nowhere.

I really hope they ditch friend codes and let you pick a universal screen name like Live and PSN. That would totally seal the deal.

Mrbob

Chittagong said:

Would it be crazy if Sony just decided to ride out most of this entire upcoming generation with the PS3 and PSP2? Maybe they launch the next Playstation in 2016 and then they are first mover for the next next generation of consoles! I don't see how being late in 2013 or 2014 does them any favors, unless this new Nintendo system is all smoke and mirrors from what we actually get.

Chittadamus needs to go to work on a new thread! :D

EmCeeGramr said:
the portal 2 arg will end and then gaben will reveal episode 3ii exclusive

Hahahahaha.

I find it funny. "Wii 2 May Feature Backward Compatibility"... um, duh?

Can't see how they wouldn't do that. I mean, the first one even plays gamecube games and has virtual consoles for each of nintendo's previous consoles.

Heavy said:
HOLY SHIT

This is gonna be awesome. I hope it trounces PS3 and 360 in power. Wow, this came out of nowhere.

I really hope they ditch friend codes and let you pick a universal screen name like Live and PSN. That would totally seal the deal.

Even with FCs, you still get a universal user name, though.
Just saying.

Cruzader

Banned
timetokill said:
The GameCube wasn't 'lagging' in tech. It was easily beyond the PS2, and near Xbox in everything except shaders.

The Wii was the first time they went with an appreciably weaker system than the competition when it comes to consoles.

Historically people have expected Nintendo portables to be modest because of battery life concerns primarily. The 3DS is the first to buck that trend.
Oh yea you are right. My bad.

Im probably thinking of the GC to Wii jump compared to the other 2 and the DS stuff.. N64 to CG was substantial too so im wrong on that too.

Like I said though, this is great news. Im sure its true btw. Its about damn time lol.

Rich!

Cruzader said:
What? Um isnt that how its been? Sorry if Im misunderstood.

Im sure Wii2 will be like PS3. How am I trollin?

Gamecube:

gamecube-metroid-screen.jpg

resident-evil-1-remake-gamecube-mansion-screenshot.jpg

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102555515_640w.jpg

Zelda5.jpg

rstrike_081103_x9_640w.jpg

f-zero-gx.724990.jpg

resident_evil_4_5.jpg

The gamecube was powerful, dude.

MisterHero

EmCeeGramr said:
the portal 2 arg will end and then gaben will reveal episode 3ii exclusive
didn't Valve and Sony announce a partnership last E3?

you said this for lols but if that were true that'd be terribad for Sony

Sadist

Skiesofwonder said:
This basically confirms you should never listen to what Reggie has to say unless someone from NOJ confirms it.

45 million units lol
Everyone knew that was bs from the very beginning.

Woffls

I think Vitality Sensor will be a big part of it, and it'll be more integral to games than we assume. When it was revealed, the press was just all "lol fitness games", but imagine how it could be implemented in survival horror. Heart rate goes up, general chances of survival go down. It has lots of potential for both demographics, and I think it'll just be some contacts on the controller that take a pulse reading from your fingers and thumb.

They might still release the Vitality Sensor as a peripheral for Wii, but there's no reason they can't do both and use Wii as an experimental console. In fact, that's not far short of reality. They've traditionally done one experimental console then refined it with the next one.

Chittagong said:

but what happens if a ton of gamers don't go onto that wii 2 wagon and opt to wait for ps4/720, while casuals don't go onto it either, as they are a pretty unpredictable/fickle bunch.

I don't know. I want to say the person to release their new shit first, especially by a large margin always has the biggest advantage but for some reason I think this time remains the most iffy. So many variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom