• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Graphic Horse definitely has my favorite mockup. I would love for the controller to look like this.

F5V2J.jpg

JasonMCG said:
This would be my guess. A controller with a touch screen doesn't really make any sense at all.

The mockup doesn't make sense either. Its not the design but the implementation. Weather, news, calender, those are features you can just as well browse on your TV Not to mention that sort of information is readily available on you computer homepage, on your cell phone, even built in to most HDTVs these days. The extra screen isn't adding anything.

Displaying a map on the second screen? Thats the sort of conveniences we've already been seeing on the DS for years. Thats all it is though, a convenience at best. This is not the sort of concept to base a new console around.

The more and more we think about this remote screen, the less sense it makes, whether its a shared tablet or built-in to the controller. I think we're being lead around by our noses with false rumours.

GDGF said:
Graphic Horse definitely has my favorite mockup. I would love for the controller to look like this.

Swap the D-Pad and face buttons around so that it can be held upside down and the dual analog can be used more comfortably.

EDIT: Ah, didn't noticed the shoulder buttons, never mind.

Zeal

Banned
i'm really starting to wonder, like others, if the 6" screen is a misunderstanding. the only way it would work, in my opinion, is being horizontal, and similar to a handheld console. as i said before, something comparable in size and design to the NGP would make sense.

every mock up we are seeing is just too damn big and overly complicated. none of these look comfortable to hold or have any practicality. then you also have to factor in price, as well. having a $100+ controller makes zero sense.

plex said:
A quick mockup of how I believe the tablet as a standalone device could work:

http://www.playwii.de/files/cafe_concept_2.png

Still makes a lot more sense to me than a controller with touchscreen.
Damn, that really is an awesome mock up. I'm not sure how it will be used for gameplay innovations, but it would be cool to have it as a second screen ala ds. Switching menus to look at maps on TV after having it constantly available on ds is irritating as hell. Well, I guess you would still need to sit it in your lap and look down at it, or prop it up like you have it.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Only thing i can think of is a replacing the right stick with a touchpad or something like that. It would make FPS shooters a lot easier to play.

But we already have motion controls for that so who knows :/

Dystify

plex said:

IMG]http://www.playwii.de/files/cafe_concept_2.png[/IMG]

Would love something like this. Great mockup, imo.

swerve

JCRedeems said:
Some poster on here said Nintendo has spent 1.5 billion in R&D in the last few years. Can anyone confirm if it is true?

Even if it were it would mean nothing to us, because we don't know their development plans, nor how long this machine has been done, or in progress.

There's always a lot going on at Nintendo so R&D spend is a tricky thing to interpret (see how, for example, John Davidson was talking about their big R&D spend in 2008 signifying Wii 2, but in the end decided it was for DSi).

Raide

I am thinking the screen will just be a Dashboard and Online status device. Basically it will show basic details shown on the Dashboard, giving people the option to load up games, swap to VC, loads photos etc, all from the device but showed on the TV.

The online features will track players details, aka the Friends list on the 360 Dashboard. It will show the Mii, plus what game they are playing and you can look a little more into their games played etc and then invite them to games via the handheld device.

For some games it will double as a more elaborate map. Imagine Zelda where you can actually look at a world Atlas, click to zoom into an area and it gives you information about what kind of area it is and a little backstory. Then you can use the device to add notes and information, which would include objects or landmarks (Like Temples, dig spots etc) what type of monsters plus their weaknesses.

It could also be used for the various spells/songs etc that you have to play in the game. Ocarina appears on the screen and you touch the notes to play it, which comes out of the devices built-in mic. Would also show information for other various things, like a fishing map or being able to quick search for various NPC's/places etc.

Green Scar said:
Swap the D-Pad and face buttons around so that it can be held upside down and the dual analog can be used more comfortably.

EDIT: Ah, didn't noticed the shoulder buttons, never mind.

You could switch the analogs with the buttons of course, I just bodged it together from Sony's Move Navigation Controller layout.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Refreshment.01 said:
Finally you saw the light :D You don't aprove the function and thats ok. But its doable and lag is not an issue.

Try reading the last sentence of that first.

It will not be perfect, your examples aren't perfect even in ideal situations, prone to problems, and none of this adds up to something a company like Nintendo would embrace. You are not going to be controlling your 60fps Mario game in this way. Period.

As a matter of fact theres tech already doing something similar. Even for small devices like smart phones. So imprecision is not a problem.

Just because technology exists doesn't mean it is right to be applied in other areas, or without its problems either. Finger tracking for pointing via a handheld device would be an unnatural and problematic way of interacting with a game on your TV screen. It becomes even more silly when the same company already has a better working solution.

Like i said you dissaprove the ideas and thats fine, but theres no need to get pissed because some of the arguments you provide are not valid.

But get this you are right in thinking that is something thats not woth it to implement :D

We are talking Nintendo, they like things to just work.

Your talk is so far outside the realm of just working, and prone to problems, that it does become silly to discuss in the context of Nintendo.

Never offended you in any of my posts, so that analogy was uncalled for. At least in my opinion.

If this line of discussion was indeed a bone, there would be nothing left of it.

Getting hung up on possibilities while ignoring feasibility is where rumour threads go to ruin.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
swerve said:
Even if it were it would mean nothing to us, because we don't know their development plans, nor how long this machine has been done, or in progress.

There's always a lot going on at Nintendo so R&D spend is a tricky thing to interpret (see how, for example, John Davidson was talking about their big R&D spend in 2008 signifying Wii 2, but in the end decided it was for DSi).

A good chunk of that is the third-building they are adding in Kyoto. This will be a pure R&D sector. But it won't be finished until later next year.

But I deleted the branding and everything!

plex said:

http://www.playwii.de/files/cafe_concept_2.png

Nice work! I don't see that making too much sense personally, but I like the idea of a console having its own screen. It might be a good competitor to Kinect, forcing people to move that coffee table back infront of the TV.

DECK'ARD said:
Realistically I wouldn't expect anymore than upscaled video signal.

We aren't going to get emulation because of Nintendo's love of 100% compatibility, but there is a tiny chance that they've rejigged the Wii's chipset to rerender in HD. If the chipset has to be in there, you might as well adapt it if it could be done. Not likely, but with their ridiculous R&D spend it's not impossible and that would explain the mysterious higher-res assets in some Wii games.

Would be a killer feature for sure, but safer to be pleasantly surprised if it's in there rather than expect it.

This is how I'm approaching it. As much as I love Nintendo, I would honestly be surprised if they did it.

I would be incredibly hyped, but very surprised.

I don't understand why anyone would ever consider that it would be a controller without buttons, touch screen only.

The only reason anyone assumes that a screen is involved is because there are rumors that say so. The same rumors that say it's got analog sticks and triggers. There is no rumor that claims it's only a screen.

Why would anyone jump to that conclusion? Nintendo knows the importance of buttons just as much as anyone else, and then you have the host of rumors talking about how it'll cater to the hardcore...and the hardcore need buttons.

Ridiculous to think otherwise.

UncleSporky said:
I don't understand why anyone would ever consider that it would be a controller without buttons, touch screen only.

The only reason anyone assumes that a screen is involved is because there are rumors that say so. The same rumors that say it's got analog sticks and triggers. There is no rumor that claims it's only a screen.

Why would anyone jump to that conclusion? Nintendo knows the importance of buttons just as much as anyone else, and then you have the host of rumors talking about how it'll cater to the hardcore...and the hardcore need buttons.

Ridiculous to think otherwise.

Quoted for truth. Miyamoto has gone on record talking about the need for physical things to interact with, and although I know he was mostly talking about body-only "controllers" like Kinect, I'm confident he also respects the importance of buttons. Buttons are also probably cheaper to manufacture than an all-touch surface.

Also, UncleSporky, nice to see you posting. I usually see you post so much more often on PA.
I'm "LupintheThird" on PA, but I mostly lurk, so I doubt you'd recognize me.

EDIT: Also, the fact of the matter is, iPhones and iPads are terrible controllers for traditional-style games. If they're proprietary, custom games for that format (Angry Birds, among tons of others), then they're great. But for a "video gaming" controller, it really needs buttons. Test: try playing Street Fighter IV on iPhone and tell me it doesn't make you long for the controller-based version after a while. I'm sure Miyamoto and co. feel for you.

RPGCrazied

We want to keep the price down. So no tablets or anything. Please be under $300, but with everything on the rise I doubt it. $349 or $399 is my bet.

Kevin

A tablet gaming console with a decent screen and Xbox 360 level visuals would be super expensive. It's definitely not a tablet. :)

Somnid

plex said:

cafe_concept_2.png

Close this thread, it can only get worse from here.

But definitely that's what my mind is seeing. I would also throw a full-sized stylus on that puppy but it looks pretty spot-on. Probably would include a motion control suite (no pointer) and a microphone as well. Or even a back-facing camera for AR.

robor

Shikamaru Ninja said:
A good chunk of that is the third-building they are adding in Kyoto. This will be a pure R&D sector. But it won't be finished until later next year.

You think HAL Labs were involved in some way with this console's development hardware-wise?

RPGCrazied said:
We want to keep the price down. So no tablets or anything. Please be under $300, but with everything on the rise I doubt it. $349 or $399 is my bet.

I hear ya. Price certainly wasn't the only thing that led to Wii's success compared to the HD twins, but the fact that it wasn't cost prohibitive to the mass market was definitely *a* factor. A big one, I'd wager.

I'd say they have a strong history of friendly pricing, but the 3DS has bucked that trend, IMO.

And people need to remember, it's not how much money someone has, but how much they feel is worth spending on a game system. One of the thing's I've always applauded Nintendo for is remembering that these things are (or at least should be) toys, and priced accordingly.

1-D_FTW

TheRagnCajun said:
The mockup doesn't make sense either. Its not the design but the implementation. Weather, news, calender, those are features you can just as well browse on your TV Not to mention that sort of information is readily available on you computer homepage, on your cell phone, even built in to most HDTVs these days. The extra screen isn't adding anything.

Displaying a map on the second screen? Thats the sort of conveniences we've already been seeing on the DS for years. Thats all it is though, a convenience at best. This is not the sort of concept to base a new console around.

The more and more we think about this remote screen, the less sense it makes, whether its a shared tablet or built-in to the controller. I think we're being lead around by our noses with false rumours.

After today's GI where it didn't seem like a single developer had kits and they all expressed curiosity, I'm not sure this isn't the truth. I wouldn't be surprised if the "it's coming in 2012" is about all we can really trust.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
plex said:

cafe_concept_2.png

If this means getting rid of the HUD, health bars, etc and moving them into the touchscreen, that would be freaking awesome.

Lupin the Wolf said:
Test: try playing Street Fighter IV on iPhone and tell me it doesn't make you long for the controller-based version after a while.

"A while" for me is measured in seconds. Of course, I already knew that after trying to play Doom on the iPhone. Touch screen controls are great for some things, but on-screen d-pads and buttons are the worst idea ever. I can't believe Nintendo, even though they've demonstrated time and again that they don't believe in logic, could decide to go that direction.

JaseMath

Starchasing said:
and nintendo releasing and iPad clones makes sense???
Its not an iPad clone at all. It's a console with a combined focus on smaller games that you'd maybe see on the iPad. There's a huge market now for "app" games and huge chunk of that goes to Apple. Why wouldn't Nintendo want a share of that?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
There is going to be a next-gen standard controller on this system. Nintendo's primary focus seems getting core gamers (who buy more than 2 games a year) and big third-party games. None of that will be possible with a Wiimote or a tablet only controller. I expect them to ship with a next-gen 2 handed controller, and then have another option for motion-casual games.

Somnid

robor said:
Hang on.....is plex suggesting that the touch-screen is actually on the console rather than on the controller?

Plex is (I think) suggesting the tablet is a different entity from the console or the motion controls. Basically the console streams visual data to it so it's not a hugely expensive piece. Like a uDraw tablet with a screen and some other stuff.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Starchasing said:
and nintendo releasing and iPad clones makes sense???
It does make sense if you couple it with an improved wiimote/nunchuck combo, and take into account nintendos desire to be a living room hub in terms of social function. Their efforts with the Wii were lackluster (everybody votes, internet, weather/news channels, wii connect 24) but they give an in inkling of a direction nintendo were interesting in pursuing. I can definitely imagine a set-up where each touchscreen controller is part of a wifi interconnected device with the TV/console as the main hub. Each person could be looking at different things, but could then pull up something interesting on the TV screen for everyone to view. Some games might use the touchscreen alone, others just the wiimote controller and others would use a combination with the touchscreen as hud/map etc, or even used by a second person to interact separately from the main action, basically a more involved form of SMG's co-op. It would definitely fit with the cafe moniker and also with Nintendos ideas for social interaction and the role they want their console to play. It also fits with how 'a lot' of people spend their time around the TV nowadays, watching TV while also browsing the net, checking facebook, looking at videos on you tube, texting, twittering etc.

robor said:
Hang on.....is plex suggesting that the touch-screen is actually on the console rather than on the controller?
No, he said, "the tablet as a standalone device." Unless he just threw something in that's completely out of context with the rest of the thread then that is referring to a separate tablet device that would come with each console.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Leondexter said:
"A while" for me is measured in seconds. Of course, I already knew that after trying to play Doom on the iPhone. Touch screen controls are great for some things, but on-screen d-pads and buttons are the worst idea ever. I can't believe Nintendo, even though they've demonstrated time and again that they don't believe in logic, could decide to go that direction.

I would quit gaming forever if every game used on-screen d-pads in the future.

Gamer98

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
I haven't seen any mockups with 'dick controls' but you might be onto something.

Lets hope so, all these pics are fucking stupid. Everybody here trying to build little Timmy's dream console. Shits dumb.

robor

Somnid said:
Plex is (I think) suggesting the tablet is a different entity from the console or the motion controls. Basically the console streams visual data to it so it's not a hugely expensive piece. Like a uDraw tablet with a screen and some other stuff.

The_Darkest_Red said:
No, he said, "the tablet as a standalone device." Unless he just threw something in that's completely out of context with the rest of the thread then that is referring to a separate tablet device that would come with each console.

Yikes :X I didn't see that text above his mock-up. Hmmmm I suggested something similar earlier in this gigantuan thread but my pitch was a stand alone device that isn't for gaming purposes ^Mine makes much less sense though.

Gamer98 said:
Lets hope so, all these pics are fucking stupid. Everybody here trying to build little Timmy's dream console. Shits dumb.

Most people are just trying to make sense of a 6 inch touchscreen controller, do you have any opinions on the rumours, Gamer98?

Gamer98 said:
I think the standalone tablet mock-up is great. Combine that with a regular controller and some smart ideas from developers and I would totally be on board with it.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
There is going to be a next-gen standard controller on this system. Nintendo's primary focus seems getting core gamers (who buy more than 2 games a year) and big third-party games. None of that will be possible with a Wiimote or a tablet only controller. I expect them to ship with a next-gen 2 handed controller, and then have another option for motion-casual games.

What if they take a page from the Wii playbook:

-- The console ships with a "core unit" controller, and a pair of shells
-- Shell 1 is a trad-pad layout (dual analogue sticks, typical button array etc.)
-- Shell 2 is a more Remote/Move-esque design

The "core unit" carries the screen, the wireless, infrared/camera modules, gyros etc. so that you can have access to those functions no matter which "shell" it's plugged in to.

Think of it as a VMU in reverse, building off of Nintendo's experience with shell add-ons for the Remote this gen. It lets them keep costs down - no duplication of relatively expensive screens, gyros etc. in two full controllers - and it allows them to expand the line of controllers at a later date by releasing new shells.

Cosmonaut X said:

-- Shell 1 is a trad-pad layout (dual analogue sticks, typical button array etc.)

The "core unit" carries the screen, the wireless, infrared/camera modules, gyros etc. so that you can have access to those functions no matter which "shell" it's plugged in to.

Think of it as a VMU in reverse, building off of Nintendo's experience with shell add-ons for the Remote this gen. It lets them keep costs down - no duplication of relatively expensive screens, gyros etc. in two full controllers - and it allows them to expand the line of controllers at a later date by releasing new shells.
Sounds crazy but interesting. You should make a mock-up, all the cool kids are doing it.

Gamer98

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
Most people are just trying to make sense of a 6 inch touchscreen controller, do you have any opinions on the rumours, Gamer98?

No I don't think anybody here is remotely close to anything real. That's what I love about this thread people being kept in the dark, its driving them crazy everyone wants answers now all you have to do is wait about 2 fucking months Jesus. Don't you people like being surprised?

Cosmonaut X said:

Hmm...makes sense. Would they need a nunchuck?

RPGCrazied

Having a actual screen on the console is a terrible idea. No, Thanks. Also, no shine finishes please. I hate that with a passion. It attracts so many fingerprints and scratches its not even funny. Keep it like the old 360 and the PS3 slim.

Gamer98 said:
No I don't think anybody here is remotely close to anything real. That's what I love about this thread people being kept in the dark, its driving them crazy everyone wants answers now all you have to do is wait about 2 fucking months Jesus. Don't you people like being surprised?
So none of the rumors are true then? Any idea on where they came from?

Some people enjoy speculating on the future of the gaming industry because they like, you know, the gaming industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom