• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Graphics Horse said:
The DSi XL fans don't seem to mind.
SgyrR.jpg

I would...

methodman said:
Would be crazy if they had apps on this thing (kindle, Facebook, nook, pandora) so in essence when you buy the console you also get a full fledged wifi "HD" tablet while also being able to stream directly from your console whenever you're close by.
I think this would be a very bad decision on Nintendo's part. First of all, it would make the device much more expensive. Second, it would allow everyone to justifiably claim that Nintendo's latest console is based on a "gimmick" that's just a poor man's iPad.

plex said:
Thanks for the feedback so far!
The idea is to have the tablet as some kind of a second display for the Café, not as a device on its own. It'd only need a very low-end CPU and some internal memory, as all the processing would be done by the actual console. 6" touchscreens aren't that expensive either, so I can absolutely see Nintendo bundling one with the Café.

And think of the advantages: No need to power up the console to check your messages, accept friends or browse the eShop. It would really encourage people to explore all the features of the console.
Pretty brilliant on both your and Nintendo's part, if true.

The power button on consoles has certainly become a barrier to entry.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
You don't help sales of the 3DS by copying one of its unique features on your new console.

Nintendo will be differentiating themselves not only from competitors but also keeping the 2 spaces unique. There has to be a reason to buy a 3DS and a reason to buy a Wii 2. And the experiences will be totally different.

All the AR and touchscreen talk is missing that point, and why the rumours so far don't add up.

robor

The_Darkest_Red said:
I think this would be a very bad decision on Nintendo's part. First of all, it would make the device much more expensive. Second, it would allow everyone to justifiably claim that Nintendo's latest console is based on a "gimmick" that's just a poor man's iPad.

Yea Nintendo's never really been the type to pander to another giant's technology.

plex

GregLombardi said:
Pretty brilliant on both your and Nintendo's part, if true.

The power button on consoles has certainly become a barrier to entry.
Yep, and I can even remember Iwata mentioning exactly that.

methodman

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
I can see that. If it came with a regular controller as well as the tablet thing, it could really take off. "use the tablet to move the entire HUD off your screen, check your messages without ever pausing your game, change your music (please nintendo allow custom soundtracks already) without pausing your game... Shit, you can check your messages/ friends lists without ever turning your tv on"

Would be ingenious. IMO.

Gamer98

Banned
Holy Order Sol said:
Yet you argue people should "go play some damn games" and just wait instead of making them.

I still believe that. The mock-ups are hilariously horrendous so its easy to come in here and get a good laugh.

StevieP said:
Holding that thing would be absolutely awful. In fact, holding any controller with a 6" screen would suck. Not to mention the split controller design is *the* way to go for all future controllers, across all consoles. So much better.
I do agree that the split controller is a much better design as it allows for more options and is comfortable as hell, but I don't think this would be bad to hold either. Remember when the wavebird came out and had all of that extra filled in space between the grips, yet was still pleasing to grip? I think it would be the same thing here...so long as the weight from the screen didn't through off the balance.

methodman said:
I wanna see fzero and pikmin for this thing. Even if it's just above a 360 power wise, 1080p is all I really want for my nintendo games. I'm salivating at fzero 64 racers at 1080p. Ahhhh

There's nothing on 360 that can do that. Hell PS3 hasn't done that yet. Gt5 is only 1280x1080 (not 1920x1080) and it has 16 cars, not 64.

DECK'ARD said:
You don't help sales of the 3DS by copying one of its unique features on your new console.

Nintendo will be differentiating themselves not only from competitors but also keeping the 2 spaces unique. There has to be a reason to buy a 3DS and a reason to buy a Wii 2. And the experiences will be totally different.

All the AR and touchscreen talk is missing that point, and why the rumours so far don't add up.
Assuming there is no touchscreen and AR games, do you think Nintendo will go with a better version of the Wii-mote or a more standard controller? Or do you think they'll try something new?

methodman said:
I can see that. If it came with a regular controller as well as the tablet thing, it could really take off. "use the tablet to move the entire HUD off your screen, check your messages without ever pausing your game, change your music (please nintendo allow custom soundtracks already) without pausing your game... Shit, you can check your messages/ friends lists without ever turning your tv on"

Would be ingenious. IMO.
Yep, that's what we've been blabbing about for the past few days.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm not really interested in the next gimmick Nintendo has lined up for us, anymore... much more interested in seeing how they handle (Japanese) 3rd party support, the Virtual Console (hopefully a way to transfer games smoothly between Wii and Cafe), and the online infrastructure.

It's totally unrealistic to think it will happen, but a HD DQX being put on this system (or a Wii DQX release which can take advantage of Cafe capabilities) would be a dream.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
anonymousAversa said:
There's nothing on 360 that can do that. Hell PS3 hasn't done that yet. Gt5 is only 1280x1080 (not 1920x1080) and it has 16 cars, not 64.

Project Cafe is supposed to be a moderate to large size bump over current gen technology, though. I'm not saying it's a lock, but don't be so quick to discount the notion either.

Another controller mockup, this time focusing on the controls themselves. Forgive my lack of mad Paint skillz, I just wanted to kick out my vision of how the controls could be implemented without going the traditional controller route (which wouldn't work with "better than Move" motion controls) while still maintaining a 6" touchscreen in the design.

N6ControllerPrototype.jpg

They would each contain a gyroscope and force feedback and draw their power from the touchscreen. Maybe they would have a biometric skin on the grips if Nintendo is still interested in going the vitality sensor route. Slide pads for analog.

Idea here would be that the touch screen sat in your lap, or that you could wear it somehow (I've mentioned before having it mounted on a Velcro cuff and worn on the forearm like a bracelet). The D-pad would be on the touchscreen housing along with maybe a button "1" and "2", and Start, Home and Select. The rumors that suggest games being "streamed" to the touch screen, I assume means that it has a bit of memory that can temporarily store a VC or N6Ware title and enough power to allow it to be played there while the console does other things. I also think the camera will be mounted on the face of the touch screen housing, along with a mic.

anonymousAversa said:
Isn't Wipeout HD 1080p @ 60fps? Or do you mean the 64 vehicles part?

Eh, I still like my "magic mirror" mockup the best (but I guess I'm in the minority). haha. They could even do a ripple effect when you touch the screen like my Palm Pre.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
plex said:
The idea is to have the tablet as some kind of a second display for the Café, not as a device on its own. It'd only need a very low-end CPU and some internal memory, as all the processing would be done by the actual console. 6" touchscreens aren't that expensive either, so I can absolutely see Nintendo bundling one with the Café.

And think of the advantages: No need to power up the console to check your messages, accept friends or browse the eShop. It would really encourage people to explore all the features of the console.
Yeah, I really like this idea too. I'm not sure if it is possible, but couldn't you use the handheld as a way to play N6Ware games while someone else is playing a main game? The games would have to be restricted to Wii-level graphics (or other left-over processors), but for a 6" handheld, that's not that bad...

N6 could just be a hub-type system for all gaming in the house -- console, handheld, mobile (3DS integration). Wouldn't the rumored IBM 476fp, 12-core processor enable this?

I have no idea what i'm talking about, but I like it!

Okay, it seems as though the sources saying that the controller's screen is 6" are the same ones saying that the controller has a screen to begin with (IGN and 01net). So, if it's true that the controller has a touch screen, it follows that the screen is 6 inches. Let's try to put that in perspective.

Here's a Blu-ray Disc case. When cut across diagonally, the 6" isn't really that large.

24mvrr9.png

Here's the PSP-1001. The screen would only be roughly 2" bigger than the PSP's, and 1 inch larger than the NGP's. Clearly, competent controllers can coexist with large screens.

15p07kl.png

Posters comparing the controller to the NGP are probably on the money--IF the 6" touchscreen-on-controller rumor is indeed true.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The_Darkest_Red said:
Assuming there is no touchscreen and AR games, do you think Nintendo will go with a better version of the Wii-mote or a more standard controller? Or do you think they'll try something new?

Well I think they'd be mad to abandon the remote, not only because of how popular it has been and the functionality it offers such as the pointer but also because it's become iconic. And that's rare in consumer electronics. Ditching it now would be like Apple ditching the iPod's form-factor at it's first refresh.

Familiarity when something is that popular is important, and the Wii was very much like a NES-style reset on the industry. Bringing a lot of new people into games, or back to them, and like the SNES which followed you'd evolve the controller not change it radically. Returning to a more standard controller would be very bizarre indeed.

Whatever Nintendo's new idea is it won't be the technology itself that is the selling-point it will be how it's applied. And therefore its much harder to predict. Little ideas such as PlayCoins or StreetPass are much more potent than just knowing the 3DS had a pedometer in it, or that its Wi-Fi was always on.

Speculation with Nintendo is very difficult, and I think the contradictory nature of all these rumours is because a LOT of speculation is going on versus actual leaks.

anonymousAversa said:

I got the impression he meant "F-Zero 64-style racers," as in racing games akin to F-Zero 64 (which was actually F-Zero X). However, he did say, "I'm salivating at fzero 64 racers at 1080p.," so maybe he did mean 64 cars at once, which does sound mighty tasty! Anyway, I'm probably wrong, but there ya go.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
plex said:

I'm certainly warming up to your idea. Could be like some of the digital photo frames out there which shows you pictures but some also connect to the internet and displays stuff like current weather, incoming email/tweets etc. They're cheap enough. Of course, adding a bit more horsepower than a digital photo frame allows you to be more like the lower end tablets, but that does raise the price quite a bit.

Pyrokai

I found some more interesting rumors, but I think it's a banned site, but I don't know. Is there a list of banned sites from NeoGAF?

WillyFive

Machado said:
no shovelware please...

I'll settle for less shovelware

If it doesn't have shovelware, that means the console flopped and Nintendo will be going third party.

Nah, I am just kidding, Nintendo will leave the business before they go third party.

methodman

Banned
Lupin the Wolf said:
I got the impression he meant "F-Zero 64-style racers," as in racing games akin to F-Zero 64 (which was actually F-Zero X). However, he did say, "I'm salivating at fzero 64 racers at 1080p.," so maybe he did mean 64 cars at once, which does sound mighty tasty! Anyway, I'm probably wrong, but there ya go.
Ah, that was terribly worded, I always seem to type too fast/unclearly when I'm using my iPhone.

I meant I would salivate over a FZero game that had 64 racers, or even 32 of them, at 1080p. Though, im not sure if either would be possible on the new nintendo console after reading the last couple of responses.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The_Darkest_Red said:
As I posted earlier for a basic facebook/internet level tablet you could potentially get to under $50 to manufacture. So for $300 you would get a superWii console and a poor mans ipad, plus for another $150-$200 you could get the rest of your family a poor mans ipad as well, all of which would link up to your local console/TV hub.
Not going to happen but: one potential avenue for keeping the cost to the consumer down would be to create a Wii2 tablet android app.

Woffls

Pyrokai said:
I found some more interesting rumors, but I think it's a banned site, but I don't know. Is there a list of banned sites from NeoGAF?
From the site that is encouraging Nintendo to... uhh... displace? I've seen them too. I guess their source is only as unfounded as the rest xD

WillyFive

boris feinbrand said:
More a case of selective memory.

I remember going to Walmart to get Smash Bros. Melee, and saw this:

FriendsTheOneWithAllTheTrivia_PS2BoxArt_FINALboxart_160w.jpg

I thought it was funny how it was rated Teen with that completely innocent box art.

poppabk said:
As I posted earlier for a basic facebook/internet level tablet you could potentially get to under $50 to manufacture. So for $300 you would get a superWii console and a poor mans ipad, plus for another $150-$200 you could get the rest of your family a poor mans ipad as well, all of which would link up to your local console/TV hub.
Not going to happen but: one potential avenue for keeping the cost to the consumer down would be to create a Wii2 tablet android app.
I just feel like it would be wise for Nintendo to avoid presenting the device as a "tablet." They would be setting consumers up for disappointment when they found out they couldn't even store their music on it or something. I think it should be marketed as more of an auxiliary device for the Wii 2, either as a special kind of controller or an alternate way to output useful information from the system.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
djtiesto said:
It's totally unrealistic to think it will happen, but a HD DQX being put on this system (or a Wii DQX release which can take advantage of Cafe capabilities) would be a dream.

Well the easiest way of this happening is if some of Nintendo's astronomical R&D budget went on a rejigged version of the Wii's Hollywood that outputs in HD. The Wii's chipset is going to have to be in there anyway for 100% backwards compatibility, so with the Wii 2 being focussed on HD you might as well bring that up to scratch as well.

It's old tech, but they already rejigged Flipper to make Hollywood, this would be more of a drastic change but not out of the realms of possibility. Especially with their R&D budget and the high-res assets some Wii games have for seemingly no reason.

It would be a killer feature and the benefits to something like DQX launching at the end of the Wii's life would be obvious. Not to mention Zelda. Automatically enhanced for HD along with every other Wii game, and no need to work on or release a specific Wii 2 version.

Not expecting it, but man would that be nice :)

Gummb

Rumor Nuggets -- More stuff from a source that broke the GTA V rumors -- This is really starting to look more and more unrealistic.

-- Square Enix, Capcom, Sega, Konami, Activision, Rockstar/Take Two, Electronic Arts, Namco and Ubisoft all have development kits.
-- They each have at least one game in development for the Wii 2.
-- Expect games to be coming to this system that you would never expect on a Nintendo console.
-- Nintendo is kissing third party ****s with this console.
-- The new Nintendo controller sounds more ridiculous on paper. When you actually see the thing, it makes a lot more sense from a design standard.
-- Expect Nintendo to roll out the red carpet for third parties so their games don’t get overshadowed. Nintendo has been preaching to third parties that third parties won’t get screwed this time around, so if you’re expecting a ton of amazing first party games at launch…well…think again. Nintendo wants a launch that creates confidence in third parties again so expect very few first party games at launch similar to the 3DS.
-- Star Fox is coming. I can’t say when. Very good chance that it WONT be at E3. I am hearing Star Fox is coming for the new Nintendo system, but it is very early in development.
-- Nintendo solved every storage issue a third party could possibly have with the new console. I don’t know if it’s a harddrive or a different, cheaper way to store data.
-- Nintendo revamping their WiiWare and virtual console services. I don’t think it will be called WiiWare anymore.
-- Almost positive that we’ll be seeing Pikmin in some shape or form.
-- A first person shooter that people love will be ported to the 3DS. I can’t say what game, but it’s popular among FPS gamers.
-- Expect a crapload of 3DS love at this E3. The show will be wayyy more 3DS than Wii 2 (Project Cafe). 3DS stuff will be at least 60 percent of the E3 pre-show.
-- Don’t listen to anyone who says new Nintendo console will launch by end of 2011. They are idiots. This holiday season is all about the 3DS and Nintendo’s E3 show will focus on that.
-- Don’t expect many games to be shown at E3 for new Nintendo console, but expect all of the key features to be revealed.
-- Nintendo is thinking about launching Zelda: Skyward Sword around the same time as Wii 2 since Wii 2 is backwards compatible with Wii 1 games. They want to follow the same strategy when they launched Pokemon Black/White when 3DS was coming out.
-- I am 90 percent sure you will not see a Zelda: Skyward Sword port to the Wii 2. It will remain a Wii 1 game.
-- Nintendo approached Hideo Kojima about the new Nintendo console. Nintendo and Hideo Kojima have a good relationship with each other.
-- A Resident Evil game is in development for the new Nintendo system. I don’t know if Capcom is developing an RE spinoff or something part of the “main” Resident Evil series.
-- Retrostudios started working on a Wii 2 game. It is NOT Metroid. Retro is done with Metroid.

Read more: http://gameolosophy.com/consoles/wii/more-project-cafe-rumors/#ixzz1K0FgUSxM

Pyrokai

Woffls said:
From the site that is encouraging Nintendo to... uhh... displace? I've seen them too. I guess their source is only as unfounded as the rest xD

Maybe? I think. Opposite of Stay Sony. Anyway, if we're thinking of the same site, they have some new rumors posted. And I still have no idea if they're a banned site or not, so don't lash out at me! :\

Edit: Uhhh.....the rumors I was referring to are the ones posted above me anyway :p . Actually, only about half of those were posted on the site I'm referring to, so there's even more stuff there. Everything sounds so...crazy....as usual :p

FunkyPajamas said:
Isn't Wipeout HD 1080p @ 60fps? Or do you mean the 64 vehicles part?

Wipeout has that dynamically adjusting horizontal resolution thing, but I'm sure if you gave it to the Ridge Racer 7 team they could knock out a 100 vehicle F-Zero game at full 1080p.
F-Zero ships are traditionally very low poly, no need to go crazy.

Gummb

Pyrokai said:
Maybe? I think. Opposite of Stay Sony. Anyway, if we're thinking of the same site, they have some new rumors posted. And I still have no idea if they're a banned site or not, so don't lash out at me! :\

Edit: Uhhh.....the rumors I was referring to are the ones posted above me anyway :p . Actually, only about half of those were posted on the site I'm referring to, so there's even more stuff there. Everything sounds so...crazy....as usual :p

Sorry man, credit goes to you for finding them first. I should have read above me, but I saw them and jumped. :(

Gummb

AzureJericho said:
*Waits for this all to be confirmed or denied*

But sweet baby Jesus, let the Retro Studios thing be true.
of all of those rumors, Retro Studios' is the most realistic, imo. :p

StevieP

Banned
AzureJericho said:
*Waits for this all to be confirmed or denied*

But sweet baby Jesus, let the Retro Studios thing be true.

TBH, a lot of these "rumours" could be derived from common sense derived from the original rumours. Just like those NintendoLifeTweets. Like saying stuff and hoping some of it sticks based on common sense derived from the original story. Edit: Deck'ard beat me to it.

Game-Biz

Kansasdude2009 said:
Rumor Nuggets -- More stuff from a source that broke the GTA V rumors -- This is really starting to look more and more unrealistic.

-- Square Enix, Capcom, Sega, Konami, Activision, Rockstar/Take Two, Electronic Arts, Namco and Ubisoft all have development kits.
-- They each have at least one game in development for the Wii 2.
-- Expect games to be coming to this system that you would never expect on a Nintendo console.
-- Nintendo is kissing third party ****s with this console.
-- The new Nintendo controller sounds more ridiculous on paper. When you actually see the thing, it makes a lot more sense from a design standard.
-- Expect Nintendo to roll out the red carpet for third parties so their games don’t get overshadowed. Nintendo has been preaching to third parties that third parties won’t get screwed this time around, so if you’re expecting a ton of amazing first party games at launch…well…think again. Nintendo wants a launch that creates confidence in third parties again so expect very few first party games at launch similar to the 3DS.
-- Star Fox is coming. I can’t say when. Very good chance that it WONT be at E3. I am hearing Star Fox is coming for the new Nintendo system, but it is very early in development.
-- Nintendo solved every storage issue a third party could possibly have with the new console. I don’t know if it’s a harddrive or a different, cheaper way to store data.
-- Nintendo revamping their WiiWare and virtual console services. I don’t think it will be called WiiWare anymore.
-- Almost positive that we’ll be seeing Pikmin in some shape or form.
-- A first person shooter that people love will be ported to the 3DS. I can’t say what game, but it’s popular among FPS gamers.
-- Expect a crapload of 3DS love at this E3. The show will be wayyy more 3DS than Wii 2 (Project Cafe). 3DS stuff will be at least 60 percent of the E3 pre-show.
-- Don’t listen to anyone who says new Nintendo console will launch by end of 2011. They are idiots. This holiday season is all about the 3DS and Nintendo’s E3 show will focus on that.
-- Don’t expect many games to be shown at E3 for new Nintendo console, but expect all of the key features to be revealed.
-- Nintendo is thinking about launching Zelda: Skyward Sword around the same time as Wii 2 since Wii 2 is backwards compatible with Wii 1 games. They want to follow the same strategy when they launched Pokemon Black/White when 3DS was coming out.
-- I am 90 percent sure you will not see a Zelda: Skyward Sword port to the Wii 2. It will remain a Wii 1 game.
-- Nintendo approached Hideo Kojima about the new Nintendo console. Nintendo and Hideo Kojima have a good relationship with each other.
-- A Resident Evil game is in development for the new Nintendo system. I don’t know if Capcom is developing an RE spinoff or something part of the “main” Resident Evil series.
-- Retrostudios started working on a Wii 2 game. It is NOT Metroid. Retro is done with Metroid.

Read more: http://gameolosophy.com/consoles/wii/more-project-cafe-rumors/#ixzz1K0FgUSxM
I'm going to take a wild guess and say they have absolutely no sources/connections and they pulled all those "rumors" out of their ass to get hits.

Gameolosophy said:
Nintendo revamping their WiiWare and virtual console services. I don’t think it will be called WiiWare anymore.
Well uhhh, wouldn't expect it to if it's not Wii games.
Nintendo is thinking about launching Zelda: Skyward Sword around the same time as Wii 2 since Wii 2 is backwards compatible with Wii 1 games. They want to follow the same strategy when they launched Pokemon Black/White when 3DS was coming out.
Or Zelda Oracles when GBA was coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom