• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Graphics Horse said:
Most people are just trying to make sense of a 6 inch touchscreen controller, do you have any opinions on the rumours, Gamer98?

One problem with that otherwise excellent 6" standalone tablet mockup is that once you set it on a table a few feet away, it's too tiny to make anything out on. 6" isn't that big in the whole scheme of things. Big on a controller, sure, but not for a tablet device.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I think the standalone tablet mock-up is great. Combine that with a regular controller and some smart ideas from developers and I would totally be on board with it.

What ideas are you expecting? What we're talking about here is basically taking the DS experience translating it to home console, except its going to be worse.

Gamer98 said:
No I don't think anybody here is remotely close to anything real. That's what I love about this thread people being kept in the dark, its driving them crazy everyone wants answers now all you have to do is wait about 2 fucking months Jesus. Don't you people like being surprised?
I have never seen a thread reach this many pages this quickly. Even the DQIX on DS thread stopped at 100 [50 posts per page], though to be fair I think that one was locked....

People are absolutely rabid on this board for exciting information right now.

robor

GregLombardi said:
I have never seen a thread reach this many pages this quickly. Even the DQIX on DS thread stopped at 100 [50 posts per page], though to be fair I think that one was locked....

I think this is a unique situation relating to Nintendo's current stature and what many EXPECT them to do next gen (finally stepping up to HD etc). If you factor in the 3DS, it only re-enforces that expectation (i.e. third-party dev support etc).

Gamer98 said:
No I don't think anybody here is remotely close to anything real. That's what I love about this thread people being kept in the dark, its driving them crazy everyone wants answers now all you have to do is wait about 2 fucking months Jesus. Don't you people like being surprised?

You really hate freedom, huh?

Gamer98

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
So none of the rumors are true then? Any idea on where they came from?

Some people enjoy speculating on the future of the gaming industry because they like, you know, the gaming industry.

I'm fine with speculation, but damn people are talking about the wackest shit imaginable in this thread and it's kinda getting dumb. I just like waiting for the real reveal. Cause nothing in this thread is true. Nothing. I feel like the OP should put that on the thread title.

Somnid

TheRagnCajun said:
What ideas are you expecting? What we're talking about here is basically taking the DS experience translating it to home console, except its going to be worse.

Player 1 generates levels on the fly, players 2-4 have to survive them. Actually games in general built around a DM-type person would be awesome.

evangd007

Cosmonaut X said:
What if they take a page from the Wii playbook:

-- The console ships with a "core unit" controller, and a pair of shells
-- Shell 1 is a trad-pad layout (dual analogue sticks, typical button array etc.)
-- Shell 2 is a more Remote/Move-esque design

The "core unit" carries the screen, the wireless, infrared/camera modules, gyros etc. so that you can have access to those functions no matter which "shell" it's plugged in to.

Think of it as a VMU in reverse, building off of Nintendo's experience with shell add-ons for the Remote this gen. It lets them keep costs down - no duplication of relatively expensive screens, gyros etc. in two full controllers - and it allows them to expand the line of controllers at a later date by releasing new shells.

My thoughts were similar to that, but cuts out the middle-man. The core unit is a remote/nunchuck setup (both wireless) that could plug into a shell with the screen that would cause it to be like a CC.

Just wanted to throw this tidbit into this massive thread: I was watching Destructoid's live stream of the Conduit 2 a few minutes ago. High Voltage got a question asking what they know about this console and he replied with a smug, "We can't talk about that." Seems like the rumor of devs getting kits early might have some truth to it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
GregLombardi said:

I think it is generation fatigue coupled with the feeling that Nintendo could do absolutely anything with their hardware. If it was MS, there would be a long thread discussing hardware and mock-ups of what the graphics might look like, but everyone would know that some variant of a dual analog would be central for the controls. With Nintendo we can't even be sure that the controller isn't the console.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
GregLombardi said:

It's the perfect storm as far as GAF is concerned really.

Plus just seeing how many of the rumours match up to the fact is going to be interesting, as so many of them are contradictory or downright bizarre.

Thinking about it, if you wanted to drum up interest in your new console just leak a load of details that make no sense and let the Internet take over ;)

TheRagnCajun said:
There have been tons of great suggestions in this thread but I don't feel like re-typing all of them. One idea I like is a touch-based friends list with a touch keyboard for messaging.

Gamer98 said:
I hate stupid speculation go play some damn games come back in a couple of months and you might get something real.
Why subject yourself to something you hate? We'll use our freedom to speculate and you can use yours to leave the thread and make yourself happier. Deal?

DCVMU_nano_02.jpg

this is all that's coming to mind.

totowhoa

Banned
richiek said:
If this means getting rid of the HUD, health bars, etc and moving them into the touchscreen, that would be freaking awesome.

Oh man, this would be an incredible option to have for those who could set it up on a coffee table right in front of them, assuming there's an alternative controller of some sort.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sklorenz said:
Oh man, this would be an incredible option to have for those who could set it up on a coffee table right in front of them, assuming there's an alternative controller of some sort.

It's ok, Nintendo are going to bundle not only a fully-functional touchscreen tablet with each HD console but also a DIY coffee table as well.

Plex those mockups are phenomenally well done, nice work.

Again I want to reiterate that the screen is rumored NOT to be multitouch, do you really think you could play a game like that air hockey game without multitouch?

I know those are just concept renders, and again they are extremely well done.

Gamer98 said:
It really is huh? I'm right though.

No you're not. All you are is annoying. If you're not interested in this thread why read it? The title clearly states that it's about rumors. Just wait for something with "FACT" written on it.

Then again I'm really not surprised.

DECK'ARD said:
It's ok, Nintendo are going to bundle not only a fully-functional touchscreen tablet with each HD console but also a DIY coffee table as well.
This sounds legit, better add it to the OP.

Seriously though, no one is saying the mystical tablet in question would be "fully functional."

poppabk said:
I think it is generation fatigue coupled with the feeling that Nintendo could do absolutely anything with their hardware. If it was MS, there would be a long thread discussing hardware and mock-ups of what the graphics might look like, but everyone would know that some variant of a dual analog would be central for the controls. With Nintendo we can't even be sure that the controller isn't the console.
True that. I guess perhaps its time to move on from this gen for everyone's sake.

If it's a loose tablet..... I'll give it one year and Sony and probably MS will follow and release their tablet for PS3 and Xbox360.
Bye bye exclusive feature and probably a lot cheaper then buying a wii2

M74

wii2-controller-mk-1-2.jpg

This is still the best mock-up we've seen. It's the only way they can maintain the normal gamepad shape/size/function/feel and still allow for a larger screen.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The_Darkest_Red said:
This sounds legit, better add it to the OP.

Seriously though, no one is saying the mystical tablet in question would be "fully functional."

If it's a standalone tablet, with the extra hardware that would require, it would be a fully functional tablet.

Ruud_Luiten said:
If it's a loose tablet..... I'll give it one year and Sony and probably MS will follow and release their tablet for PS3 and Xbox360.

Honestly whatever they do, if popular, is in danger of being copied by the time the other two consoles launch.

Gamer98

Banned
Holy Order Sol said:
No you're not. All you are is annoying. If you're not interested in this thread why read it? The title clearly states that it's about rumors. Just wait for something with "FACT" written on it.

Then again I'm really not surprised.

I like laughing at the mock-ups.

StevieP

Banned
M74 said:

This is still the best mock-up we've seen. It's the only way they can maintain the normal gamepad shape/size/function/feel and still allow for a larger screen.

Holding that thing would be absolutely awful. In fact, holding any controller with a 6" screen would suck. Not to mention the split controller design is *the* way to go for all future controllers, across all consoles. So much better.

Ruud_Luiten said:
Couldn't you say this of any potential Wii 2 controller interface? Anyway, I highly doubt Microsoft and Sony are going to do something that crazy with hardware this old, especially after Move and Kinect.

evangd007 said:
My thoughts were similar to that, but cuts out the middle-man. The core unit is a remote/nunchuck setup (both wireless) that could plug into a shell with the screen that would cause it to be like a CC.

The only issue I'd have with that is you then don't have access to the screen when using the remote setup, and if the screen is as central to the concept as it appears...

With the VMU Mk 2 I'm thinking of, you'd essentially have three different configurations:

1 -- "Core Unit". This would be a small touchscreen unit with gyro, camera and wireless built in. Essentially a cheap mini-tablet for controlling games on-screen, and perfect for apps, very simple games, system management etc.

2 -- "Traditional Gamer". Here, you plug the core into a GCN-esque shell, giving you access to the standard control config, but adding motion-sensing, wireless, camera and touchscreen functionality. Perfect for traditional games, but also adding a few neat tricks that enhance core games.

3 -- "Motion Gamer". Attach the core to a Remote/Move-style wand w. nunchuk. Few buttons, streamlined and perfect for motion gaming, but also retaining the screen and touch functionality.

The only way I can see it working is if the speculation about a 6" touchscreen is incorrect and the unit is smaller, but it would be a way to bring all of the different functionality together in one box without trying to force it all into one control pad.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I said a while back that if the Onlive technology works, it would be something nintendo would have to keep their eye on in the future.

Apparently it works. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427619

I wonder if the streaming tech Nintendo is using is similar in any way.

Would be cool if your game could stream to your controller while in your house and to your 3DS when you were a greater distance away.

M74 said:

that is the wrong size. It needs to be 6"

that's what she said

plex

Thanks for the feedback so far!
The idea is to have the tablet as some kind of a second display for the Café, not as a device on its own. It'd only need a very low-end CPU and some internal memory, as all the processing would be done by the actual console. 6" touchscreens aren't that expensive either, so I can absolutely see Nintendo bundling one with the Café.

And think of the advantages: No need to power up the console to check your messages, accept friends or browse the eShop. It would really encourage people to explore all the features of the console.

methodman

Banned
I wanna see fzero and pikmin for this thing. Even if it's just above a 360 power wise, 1080p is all I really want for my nintendo games. I'm salivating at fzero 64 racers at 1080p. Ahhhh

Vieo

Front facing camera and touchscreen built directly into the controller? It probably uses some sort of Augmented Reality like 3DS, but instead of the games being focused on top of the table, it uses your entire room!

If you're playing two-player Mario game and your friend is Luigi, when you point your camera at him and look at your screen, he'll look like Luigi (or maybe even his Mii) and you'll look like Mario through his.

Hilarity to ensue!

Screen will be used for AR gamin the most.

Zugara-CanonBallz-2009.jpg

adidas-ar.jpg

Basically I think the moto would be we will bring game come to life literally in your house.

Edit: Omg above poster you are reading my mind.

StevieP said:
Holding that thing would be absolutely awful. In fact, holding any controller with a 6" screen would suck.

The DSi XL fans don't seem to mind.
SgyrR.jpg

Vieo said:
If you're playing two-player Mario game and your friend is Luigi, when you point your camera at him and look at your screen, he'll look like Luigi (or maybe even his Mii) and you'll look like Mario through his.

Heh, It's weird but I'm still not sure if front facing means away from the player or towards him.

plex said:
The idea is to have the tablet as some kind of a second display for the Café, not as a device on its own. It'd only need a very low-end CPU and some internal memory, as all the processing would be done by the actual console. 6" touchscreens aren't that expensive either, so I can absolutely see Nintendo bundling one with the Café.

And think of the advantages: No need to power up the console to check your messages, accept friends or browse the eShop. It would really encourage people to explore all the features of the console.
I'm totally with you, man, this is the best idea anyone has come up with that involves a 6" touchscreen. It's been brought up quite a few times in this thread, along with some very interesting ideas and potential applications.

methodman

Banned
plex said:

Would be crazy if they had apps on this thing (kindle, Facebook, nook, pandora) so in essence when you buy the console you also get a full fledged wifi "HD" tablet while also being able to stream directly from your console whenever you're close by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom