• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZAK said:
What do you mean by, "claims in this thread?" Just ideas that GAFers have? Those are meaningless. I've claimed there will be full first-party DD BC and I was quite explicitly talking out my ass. The only things with any weight are the reported rumors, and you can't really rely on those, either. One of the quotes in the OP talks about motion control, too, so I don't know where you're coming from when you say you've seen nothing about it. It just sounds like you're setting yourself up for disappointment. That mostly just hurts you, although the attention to your comment may have been increased by the abrasive wording of your desires...

Anyway, considering the success they've had this generation, and the spread of motion control ideas to its competitors, it's hard to imagine they would just completely abandon it.

I'm not referring to gaffers. I'm talking about the various "leaks" from IGN and so on.

HUGE IDEA: Don't think this has been brought up yet, but if they are going with a capacitive touch screen it seems likely they would include a stylus. What if this stylus doubles as a simplified pointer for casuals? It would have to be somewhat large like the stylus included with the DSi XL and it might take some finagling technology wise to either fit a camera on the tip or reverse the way they currently do pointing, but to me this seems to make alot of sense.

And, it could slide right into the controller when not being used with the sensor facing out to retain pointer controls even during traditional gameplay.

Think about it...

Krowley

Fourth Storm said:
HUGE IDEA: Don't think this has been brought up yet, but if they are going with a capacitive touch screen it seems likely they would include a stylus. What if this stylus doubles as a simplified pointer for casuals? It would have to be somewhat large like the stylus included with the DSi XL and it might take some finagling technology wise to either fit a camera on the tip or reverse the way they currently do pointing, but to me this seems to make alot of sense.

And, it could slide right into the controller when not being used with the sensor facing out to retain pointer controls even during traditional gameplay.

Think about it...

I sort of like this idea but it still wouldn't supply wii backwards compatibility.

Of course, they could still just require the purchase of a wiimote and nunchuck for that I guess. They made people buy something for GC compatibility.

And it would also need buttons on it to be really useful, which might make the form factor a little too clunky to work like a stylus in terms of storing it on the controller somewhere.

Still, assuming the supplied controller is relatively conventional in terms of basic form, if they include a wand of some sort in the box, that wouldn't surprise me.

Gvaz

Banned
I like the PS2 D-pad but I like the 360 controller + triggers.

The gamecube controller hurt, it was too small and shaped funny

thefro said:
The Y/X buttons are concave on the SNES controller so that you can tell the difference between them an A/B by feel. That's not the case with the Super Famicom controllers, where all the buttons are convex.
Have any other controllers pulled that convex/concave trick? None come to mind, though GCN went the path of making every button a different shape.
Shikamaru Ninja said:
If you had a choice to play a 3D game would it be with the GameCube button layout or the classic controller layout? GameCube layout is evolution man. Get with it.
Man, I'm there. As long as this thread is largely in pipedream mode: take a Wavebird, give it Left Z, build in dual rumble, make the sticks clickable, and that's pretty close to my ideal standard type gamepad.

Krowley said:
I sort of like this idea but it still wouldn't supply wii backwards compatibility.

Of course, they could still just require the purchase of a wiimote and nunchuck for that I guess. They made people buy something for GC compatibility.

And it would also need buttons on it to be really useful, which might make the form factor a little too clunky to work like a stylus.

Right, since BC is in many ways an effort to not piss off owners of the older system, I would imagine most people would have a few Wiimotes lying around. And if not, as you said, they'll surely keep selling them for a long while...

Shiggy

The Ninja Courier - April 19th, 2011
Project Cafe
The internet is currently entranced with possible leaks of information regarding Nintendo's next home console. The hardware being tentatively titled "Project Cafe", is a high-definition console with some innovative new system and controller features. There is much rumor and speculation over some of those features, everything from a 6" LCD touchscreen being integrated into the control mechanism as well as head tracking sensors.

One of the more serious debates circulates the supposed horsepower of the system. With the Nintendo Wii taking steps backwards in favor of cost and efficiency, fans are definitely nervous and hopeful in finally seeing hardware from Nintendo that will pack some type of wow factor. The big question at hand is whether the system will be a slight improvement over current high-definition consoles, or something more significant.

Well analyze this.

It looks like Nintendo Technology Development, the Seattle based hardware group under Howard Cheng, has been quite busy researching and developing several of the technologies being used in Project Cafe. One of the more interesting features is their work on tracking systems and head-mounted stereoscopic displays along with CPU and GPU research and evaluation.

For those wondering what direction the system might take from a purely geometrical calculation standpoint. Some of the new team members at Nintendo Technology Development include one of the head engineers responsible for the PS3's Cell CPU and RSX GPU.

While the news is not indicative of the ultimate fire power the system may carry, it certainly is promising.

http://kyoto-report.blogspot.com/2011/04/ninja-courier_19.html

That information is absolutely credible.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Green Scar said:
Yeah, this is a pretty good guess. (Kotaku don't know shit, I doubt anyone does yet)

Well, they're quoting 'sources'...who knows though, it sounds like their sources are speculating also rather than saying 'I know for sure'.

IF it was true, though, it would give Nintendo an extra 12 months perhaps of 'best-version' multiplatform games (for a total of up to 24 months with that status, one would presume). Which would be good for them. On the downside though, it would markedly increase the potential gulf between their system and MS/Sony's next, and thus the potential for a development divide between them.

Krowley said:
And it would also need buttons on it to be really useful, which might make the form factor a little too clunky to work like a stylus in terms of storing it on the controller somewhere.

Still, assuming the supplied controller is relatively conventional in terms of basic form, if they include a wand of some sort in the box, that wouldn't surprise me.

There would be room for one or two slender shaped buttons basically like a pen clip. This would provide the basic functionality needed to shoot a virtual gun for instance. Anything more would defeat the purpose of appealing to casuals. Kinect has no buttons - the tracking would naturally interact with whatever was on screen.

Edit: Basically just think laser pointer.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
gofreak said:
Well, they're quoting 'sources'...who knows though, it sounds like their sources are speculating also rather than saying 'I know for sure'.

IF it was true, though, it would give Nintendo an extra 12 months perhaps of 'best-version' multiplatform games (for a total of up to 24 months with that status, one would presume). Which would be good for them. On the downside though, it would markedly increase the potential gulf between their system and MS/Sony's next, and thus the potential for a development divide between them.
Guess which platforms will limit the financial risks? PS3, x360 and Wii2. These 3 platforms are likely to get the most games until 2015.

gofreak said:

Sony and MS aren't going to wait that long. Just look how quickly Sony responded to the 3DS, at a time when many doubted they would even have a followup to the PSP.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
jarosh said:
Rev_R.jpg

Is this a sequel to this?

1037454986-00.jpg

Luckyman

Banned
H_Prestige said:
Sony and MS aren't going to wait that long. Just look how quickly Sony responded to the 3DS, at a time when many doubted they would even have a followup to the PSP.

I don't think they "responded".

Krowley

Fourth Storm said:
There would be room for one or two slender shaped buttons basically like a pen clip. This would provide the basic functionality needed to shoot a virtual gun for instance. Anything more would defeat the purpose of appealing to casuals. Kinect has no buttons - the tracking would naturally interact with whatever was on screen.

Actually, yeah, I guess one or two buttons would be fine... For some reason I was thinking more about something like the wiimote with several face buttons and a tiny D-pad.

One or two buttons would allow for clicking on things or whatever. No need for a D-pad or anything it if was totally focused on casual games.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
swerve said:
The best reason for why everyone should abandon this thread until something official is released.

Although I'm sticking around now for the pre-revolution nostalgia ride :)
Heh, me too. Those were the days.

Assuming the Wii 2 is late 2012 I would be amazed if NeXtbox720 didn't come in late 2013. I could possibly possibly see PS4 2014 but no later than that. I suspect 2013 for Xbox and Playstation updates.

swerve

Luckyman said:
I don't think they "responded".

No, only the announcement timing was a response. The machine itself was long in preparation of course. It's not easy to make such lovely tech as these guys all make.

Vinci

Danish
swerve said:
No, only the announcement timing was a response. The machine itself was long in preparation of course. It's not easy to make such lovely tech as these guys all make.

This, pretty much. If Nintendo comes out with a really nice looking machine, MS (at least) will get one out within the following year. Sony might wait till 2014 one way or another.

Luckyman said:
They ducktaped NGP in less than 10 months obv and shipped devkits the next day

PS4 development began in 2006. Ditto for MS' next system. Both of them can have something ready within a year after wii2.

Vinci

Danish
Stephen Colbert said:
Why would nintendo use a 6" screen on the controllers when they cheaper out and used a 3.5 inch screen on their portable?

Because a controller isn't meant to fit in your pocket?

radcliff

Shikamaru Ninja said:
If you had a choice to play a 3D game would it be with the GameCube button layout or the classic controller layout? GameCube layout is evolution man. Get with it.

Yeah, but you can't play SNES games on it without dislocating your thumb:(

Fourth Storm said:

Think about it...

I was thinking about this when I brought up those laser pointer pens,

Quick bodged together mockup, Pointer-pen would have the same 3 buttons as a Wacom stylus, plus a trigger on the opposite side. Pad held in landscape mode when used without the pointer-pen, which is slotted away inside the controller somewhere.
NpTzH.jpg

Don't take it too seriously but I think it could solve the pointer-fans needs, and go well with the touch screen. Not exactly sure how the screen pointing would be achieved!

Stephen Colbert said:
Why would nintendo use a 6" screen on the controllers when they cheaper out and used a 3.5 inch screen on their portable?

I was under the impression they used TWO 3.25 inch screens? 4.2 inch for XL.

swerve

H_Prestige said:
PS4 development began in 2006. Ditto for MS' next system. Both of them can have something ready within a year after wii2.

No, they'll be *talking about it* and giving us bullshots and PR speak and talking-down the competition relative to it from within a year.

Graphics Horse said:

Quick bodged together mockup, Pointer-pen would have the same 3 buttons as a Wacom stylus, plus a trigger on the opposite side. Pad held in landscape mode when used without the pointer-pen, which is slotted away inside the controller somewhere.
NpTzH.jpg

Don't take it too seriously but I think it could solve the pointer-fans needs, and go well with the touch screen. Not exactly sure how the screen pointing would be achieved!

Using the pen as a motion controller is brilliant. If all these rumors are true, I think your mockup and that fake is probably far better than the actual thing

qq more

HenryGale said:
Disgusting. Lets move the main joystick to where it should be. Not in the abomination that has like the PS3.
No way. The Classic Controller was made mostly for 2D games in mind. I hate playing 2D games with analog.

swerve said:
No, they'll be *talking about it* and giving us bullshots and PR speak and talking-down the competition relative to it from within a year.

They will do all of that and launch a product in a year.

This system will threaten to take away the ps3's and 360's only niche if it is on the market by itself for too long. That's why Sony and MS will accelerate their next gen plans.

Graphics Horse said:

NpTzH.jpg

I think that would work really well actually! Just switch the sticks w/ the face buttons and dpad. You wouldn't really need the face buttons when it's held vertically like that and having them on the outside would be more natural when held horizontally.

Poyunch

Stephen Colbert said:
Using the pen as a motion controller is brilliant. If all these rumors are true, I think your mockup and that fake is probably far better than the actual thing
Harry Potter fanbase would go crazy!

Zeal

Banned
Graphics Horse said:

NpTzH.jpg

make the screen facing upward (although horizontal while holding it at the bottom) and this would actually work. it would be just like a NGP or PSP, only with the screen above the controls instead of under. turning it sideways at times would also work. also swap the d-pad and button layouts.

EDIT: Adding triggers underneath for your two index fingers would also make sense.

probably the best and most practical mockup i've seen so far.

only one problem...price.

swerve

H_Prestige said:
This system will threaten to take away the ps3's and 360's only niche if it is on the market by itself for too long. That's why Sony and MS will accelerate their next gen plans.

Nothing would threaten to do that more than throwing resources at a rushed launch without the quality software to show why their new machines are worth your money rather than N6.

Don't forget, the jump to N6 is likely to be (relatively) small for developers. Sony/MS don't have that luxury if they intend to significantly trump Nintendo on hardware power. Whether through luck or judgement, the timing and positioning of the rumored project Cafe looks potentially very effective.

I think the price isn't much of an issue, it's only adding a cheap resistive screen and that's about it. Nintendo might like to convince you otherwise, of course, but Wiimote and nuchuck combined is already pretty costly.

If the pen idea didn't work as-is, it could have the camera on the opposite end to the nib and work like that instead.

Zeal said:
make the screen facing upward (although horizontal while holding it at the bottom).

I'm not keen on controlls right in the bottom corners, but that way round would make the screen a bit more useable, true.

Fourth Storm said:
Edit: I still say you put the buttons/dpad on the outside.

I would but I'm lazy, blame Sony. :)

Graphics Horse said:
If the pen idea didn't work as-is, it could have the camera on the opposite end to the nib and work like that instead.

I was considering this as well. This idea seems entirely doable. Almost so elegant it's bound not to happen. But it does fit all the rumors...with the stylus/pointer being the surprise aspect alluded to.

Edit: I still say you put the buttons/dpad on the outside.

StevieP

Banned
I would be pissed as hell if they went back to dual-analog. Especially when it comes to any game that's not third person. The Wiimote+Nunchuck combo can deal with the vast majority of titles as is, aside from complex fighting games a la SF4, and they are sooo much better to play with than a pad.

Not to meniton they would be throwing away the blue ocean in favour of the red. "Grandma" plays Wii Bowling, "Dad" plays NSMB, neither wants to play Gears of War. Not to mention, Gears would've been better with a pointer (a la RE4Wii). FPS is also terrible with dual-sticks.

I would be immensely disappointed at the loss of a split controller w/pointer, because in most situations it's just... better.

StevieP said:
I would be pissed as hell if they went back to dual-analog. Especially when it comes to any game that's not third person. The Wiimote+Nunchuck combo can deal with the vast majority of titles as is, aside from complex fighting games a la SF4, and they are sooo much better to play with than a pad.

Not to meniton they would be throwing away the blue ocean in favour of the red. "Grandma" plays Wii Bowling, "Dad" plays NSMB, neither wants to play Gears of War. Not to mention, Gears would've been better with a pointer (a la RE4Wii). FPS is also terrible with dual-sticks.

I would be immensely disappointed at the loss of a split controller w/pointer, because in most situations it's just... better.

You are a wise man. As for SF4, the new remote should get an extra trigger and four buttons surrounding the "A" button. And there should be one in each hand. Then you could use the D-pad in your left hand, and have six buttons easily accessible. Problem solved.

I just realized from the fake pics, the awesome multiplayer potential for the controller. Mario Kart with no split screen, a proper Zelda 4 Swords. I just worry how much it'll all cost.

conman

swerve said:
Whether through luck or judgement, the timing and positioning of the rumored project Cafe looks potentially very effective.
It's almost like they planned this all along...

I mean, seriously, Nintendo couldn't possibly have planned a better strategy. MS and Sony's hands are tied, and publishers certainly aren't in any rush to jump to the next gen yet. Production costs are wacky enough already without throwing another big wrench in the works like a new console cycle. If MS and Sony jump to the next gen too soon, publishers are just going to hop over to Nintendo's console. And at this point, MS has ditched most of its first-party developers, so they'd really be up shit creek.

Factor in how exponentially more expensive development costs will be, how risky AAA development is these days, the need to take a loss on hardware sales for the first coulple years, and not to mention, the risks of pushing a console out the door too soon (see RRoD).

The only way I can imagine new consoles is if they're incremental (rather than ambitious) in their processing boost, and that the bigger changes happen on the network and UI end instead.

Well played, Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom