• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
anonymousAversa said:
I thought nothing was confirmed. You mean it's been speculated?
IGN said that, and they claim to have first hand information from multiple sources and are not spreading rumors.

StevieP

Banned
wsippel said:
IGN said that, and they claim to have first hand information from multiple sources and are not spreading rumors.

Total fail, Nintendo, if that's the case.

Controllers will need to be small, able to be held easy by little kids and older adults alike. Very light, and easily replaceable.

And it doesn't seem that it is.

Philthy

StevieP said:

I think after the huge success stories of Nintendo taking over retirement centers and a billion old people thankful they can play bowling again they would not be ignoring their new install base.

Granted, I'm not sure how hip older people are to new consoles. I suppose when we're old and broken we will be stomping our feet and literally pooping our pants with this kind of news, but no so sure about the current generation of coffin dodgers.

agrajag

Banned
StevieP said:
Total fail, Nintendo, if that's the case.

It could still be dual analog if they have a wiimote+nunchuck type thing but with an analog stick added to the wiimote! Believe!

which1spink said:
Don't want to be a picky asshole, but I think you could do a much better one.
When I said it was a quick bodge, I meant it! Stick and button position is ripped from the Move Sub controller, I said not to take it too seriously. I,m now thinking the pointer would be buttonless on the nib end, with the IR camera and buttons on a chunkier opposite end.

The dpad is on there because it's in the rumoured specs, and the 4 button is there partly for an upside down left handed option like book mode DS games have, but the exact layout is up to you. I disagree about the select, start and home buttons unless this was a rumoured thing, See the N64 and Gamecube controllers for reference.

Yours looks very nice but I'm not keen on the analogs being so near the bottom corners.

StevieP

Banned
Philthy said:
I think after the huge success stories of Nintendo taking over retirement centers and a billion old people thankful they can play bowling again they would not be ignoring their new install base.

My grandmother doesn't know how to work most TVs, barely speaks a word of english, and has successfully played and excelled at Wii Sports bowling. Nobody had to explain to her how to curve the ball either, she just did it. This is NOT a unique story. And it is an amazing sight to all that have witnessed it.

While I am a part of the "core" segment, hence posting on GAF, I appreciate the remote (and so did Sony, btw, and MS as well) and what it's done. Going back to a pad as the default control scheme is a regression in almost every sense for all but the games that absolutely require it (fighting games, etc).

So dual analog is bad now?

It is compared to the Wii Remote + Nunchuck. In comfort and certain levels of freedom and functionality in motion gaming, which is here to stay. Does anyone remember the Warhawk demo at E3? Think about that for a moment.

lilltias

which1spink said:

For instance think about the button placing ... how in God's name are we supposed to play with this thing? Is it supposed to to be held in the portrait orientation only? If so, what's the point of the second analog stick? Facebuttons and analog stick on one side ... do you really think this is a good idea? Why even have facebuttons there when there's a 6" touchscreen you could use with your right hand?

When holding it in landscape orientation the facebuttons are placed very poorly (assuming the analog sticks and buttons are on the top) because you'd cover about 1/3 of the touchscreen with your hand. The Cafè button in the middle is neat, but keep in mind the real deal would need to have a home, select and start button. And why are you using Sony's design language for your photoshop and not Nintendo's?

Three buttons on the pen is CRAZY. Even the two buttons on Wacom's pen feel a little bit overwhelming sometimes - Nintendo would at best put one button on the pen.

Another detail that would improve the quality of the photoshop are the shadows. Look at the analog sticks, the bottom one needs to be mirrored. And make sure to "relax" the design a little bit - it needs more "whitespace"/space without buttons and functions, if you get what I mean. I know it's tough (I study Industrial Design) but if you can't combine all the stuff into an good looking, ergonomic and produceable design, it may not reflect the real deal you're trying to predict with your mockup.

I'll shamelessly enclose my mockup (it was originally posted two days ago) to this post since it's basically the same as yours but without facebuttons and d-pad (which sounds much more Nintendo-like to me)

OYFYy.jpg

(of course it can be used in both orientations)
GHs 'shop looks much more appealing to me even if Its not as perfect in execution. You obvioulsy didn't think about orientation at first and your example looks really akward to hold.

GWX

StevieP said:
It is compared to the Wii Remote + Nunchuck. In comfort and certain levels of freedom and functionality in motion gaming, which is here to stay. Does anyone remember the Warhawk demo at E3? Think about that for a moment.

C'mon man, dual analog is a must. Camera control in third-person games is a clusterfuck without them.

1-D_FTW

which1spink said:

For instance think about the button placing ... how in God's name are we supposed to play with this thing? Is it supposed to to be held in the portrait orientation only? If so, what's the point of the second analog stick? Facebuttons and analog stick on one side ... do you really think this is a good idea? Why even have facebuttons there when there's a 6" touchscreen you could use with your right hand?

When holding it in landscape orientation the facebuttons are placed very poorly (assuming the analog sticks and buttons are on the top) because you'd cover about 1/3 of the touchscreen with your hand. The Cafè button in the middle is neat, but keep in mind the real deal would need to have a home, select and start button. And why are you using Sony's design language for your photoshop and not Nintendo's?

Three buttons on the pen is CRAZY. Even the two buttons on Wacom's pen feel a little bit overwhelming sometimes - Nintendo would at best put one button on the pen.

Another detail that would improve the quality of the photoshop are the shadows. Look at the analog sticks, the bottom one needs to be mirrored. And make sure to "relax" the design a little bit - it needs more "whitespace"/space without buttons and functions, if you get what I mean. I know it's tough (I study Industrial Design) but if you can't combine all the stuff into an good looking, ergonomic and produceable design, it may not reflect the real deal you're trying to predict with your mockup.

I'll shamelessly enclose my mockup (it was originally posted two days ago) to this post since it's basically the same as yours but without facebuttons and d-pad (which sounds much more Nintendo-like to me)

http://i.imgur.com/OYFYy.jpg[IMG]
(of course it can be used in both orientations)[/QUOTE]

Kind of looks like a Photoshopped etch-a-sketch.

which1spink said:
OYFYy.jpg

Not sure how you would use it as a dual analog setup, as it seems to be pretty top heavy with the screen and all. Seems like it would be uncomfortable as hell(outside of full tablet mode), but it looks nice though.

StevieP said:
I don't remember fighting with the camera in the Galaxy games.
Because they actually used a good, modern camera system as opposed to the shit we have been using for years on end.

Cyborg

Why do I get a GameCube feeling....? They try to please the hardcore gamer and the casual gamer with this? Chose a side. Its not working if you choose both (see MS and Sony)

A game needs to be developed for a console for his unique parts.........choose MOTION or a standard controller........NOT BOTH

birdchili

StevieP said:
I don't remember fighting with the camera in the Galaxy games.
i do. it was far from perfect, in spite of the praise it got. the galaxy camera had some advantages that lots of other third-person games don't have too (not all third-person games can be set on small planetoids floating in space).

swerve

Cyborg said:
Why do I get a GameCube feeling....? They try to please the hardcore gamer and the casual gamer with this?

They pleased *many* casual and *many* hardcore gamers with Wii, just not those who enjoy online gaming, big 3rd party releases, or HD graphics.

What's the problem with them trying to improve the areas where they are lacking?

Amir0x

Banned
which1spink said:
OYFYy.jpg

Unplayable tripe for 99.9% of all genres, Nintendo loses for all eternity. No way they'd go with that. Nintendo had to have playtested the thing they're set to release. Something like that would demonstrate to everybody that they hadn't done that.

radcliff

Lonewolf_92 said:
Posted this once already, but:

That much space between face buttons would be uncomfortable/unintuitive. A slide pad/analog stick between them would be intrusive. A D-pad should be at the same level as the face buttons and a second slider/analog at the same level as the other.

StevieP

Banned
swerve said:
They pleased *many* casual and *many* hardcore gamers with Wii, just not those who enjoy online gaming, big 3rd party releases, or HD graphics.

What's the problem with them trying to improve the areas where they are lacking?

Nothing. Except for throwing out what is now considered a new standard. It would be like the Wii releasing with a single-analog three-prong controller.

agrajag

Banned
Amir0x said:
Unplayable tripe for 99.9% of all genres, Nintendo loses for all eternity. No way they'd go with that. Nintendo had to have playtested the thing they're set to release. Something like that would demonstrate to everybody that they hadn't done that.

I really don't think they playtested the two screens in the original DS. Even Nintendo didn't know what to do with the other screen when they just released it.

Mrbob

swerve said:

Yeah I don't understand the complaints either. Even the DS and the 3DS does not abandon the hard core market. Nintendo did this with the Wii from day one and paid for it by losing all market share to a group of people who buy a ton of games every year.

Although I don't think they pleased many hardcore gamers with the Wii.

Amir0x

Banned
agrajag said:
I really don't think they playtested the two screens in the original DS. Even Nintendo didn't know what to do with the other screen when they just released it.

Even in its original configuration, the DS was completely playable even if you decided not to use the touch screen at all. That giant screen controller would absolutely demand 99% of all genres would be played with hideously inferior controls - so inferior, in fact, that they might as well cede to Sony and Microsoft now and save everybody the trouble of having to argue with Nintendo fanboys for a generation over this inarguable fact.

agrajag

Banned
Amir0x said:
Even in its original configuration, the DS was completely playable even if you decided not to use the touch screen at all. That giant screen controller would absolutely demand 99% of all genres would be played with hideously inferior controls - so inferior, in fact, that they might as well cede to Sony and Microsoft now and save everybody the trouble of having to argue with Nintendo fanboys for a generation over this inarguable fact.

Those are all valid points, I'm just saying that Nintendo has had a history of just throwing things out there with complete disregard of how it might affect other developers.

abstract alien said:
Not sure how you would use it as a dual analog setup, as it seems to be pretty top heavy with the screen and all. Seems like it would be uncomfortable as hell(outside of full tablet mode), but it looks nice though.

I know the front looks a bit awkward to hold and since you haven't seen it from the side or a perspective render you can't tell - my fault. The bottom third segment (where the sliders and buttons are placed in the vertical center) is about as thick as an opened 3DS with two shoulder buttons on the left and the right with a built-in Vitality Sensor. This is also where the center of gravity is, due the built-in batteries. The top two thirds are basically just the screen (all-in-all a thickness of about 5 millimeters) and since modern LCDs are like what, two millimeters thick(?) they weight nothing.

Amirox said:

It's basically an iPad with two extra analog sticks and two shoulder buttons. I'm not sure how this would limit developers, especially when considering the amount of different genres that are available in the app store right now(I'm not talking about the qulaity). FPS, racing, strategy, football, partygames/shovelware ... they even work with far less then what's pictured in my mockup.

Amir0x

Banned
which1spink said:
It's basically an iPad with two extra analog sticks and two shoulder buttons. I'm not sure how this would limit developers, especially when considering the amount of different genres that are available in the app store right now(I'm not talking about the qulaity). FPS, racing, strategy, football, partygames/shovelware ... they even work with far less then what's pictured in my mockup.

Aaaaaaaaaand there's a reason why most of those games play like fucking garbage compared to those on real controllers.

If you're saying whether it's possible they'd be that fucking retarded and systematically rape game control in the name of capturing the iPad market, sure. if you're saying the controller would be comparable in functionality to legitimate controllers that aren't fucking undeniably horrendous like the PS3 and 360's pad, then wrong. As stated, it would ensure a generation of Nintendo having THE worst controls of any of the competitors by a fucking galaxy worth. It wouldn't even be a competition. When people discussed the platforms, everybody with half a brain cell would automatically go to the PS360 because they don't control like festering piles of bull shit.

which1spink said:
I know the front looks a bit awkward to hold and since you haven't seen it from the side or a perspective render you can't tell - my fault. The bottom third segment (where the sliders and buttons are placed in the vertical center) is about as thick as an opened 3DS with two shoulder buttons on the left and the right with a built-in Vitality Sensor. This is also where the center of gravity is, due the built-in batteries. The top two thirds are basically just the screen (all-in-all a thickness of about 5 millimeters) and since modern LCDs are like what, two millimeters thick(?) they weight nothing.

I still dont' think your design is ergonomic. Where is your hand supposed to go while thumbing the analog sticks? There's a reason most game controllers have horns, its more comfortable. The only reason portable devices dont' have horns is for portability. I think you're trying to convert a portable device into a non-portable device, when usually things are designed the opposite way.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Aaaaaaaaaand there's a reason why most of those games play like fucking garbage compared to those on real controllers.

If you're saying whether it's possible they'd be that fucking retarded and systematically rape game control in the name of capturing the iPad market, sure. if you're saying the controller would be comparable in functionality to legitimate controllers that aren't fucking undeniably horrendous like the PS3 and 360's pad, then wrong. As stated, it would ensure a generation of Nintendo having THE worst controls of any of the competitors by a fucking galaxy worth. It wouldn't even be a competition. When people discussed the platforms, everybody with half a brain cell would automatically go to the PS360 because they don't control like festering piles of bull shit.

also, according to the same rumors that have said that there will be a sub-hd touch screen, they also said it won't be multitouch. that would make playing almost every modern game unplayable, and it also rules out any fear that the controller will be just a touch screen with touch buttons on it.

birdchili

if there's a 6-inch screen involved here, it's just got to be a separate piece for a million different reasons already talked about in this young, weighty thread: ergonomics, cost, fragility, etc...

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
also, according to the same rumors that have said that there will be a sub-hd touch screen, they also said it won't be multitouch. that would make playing almost every modern game unplayable, and it also rules out any fear that the controller will be just a touch screen with touch buttons on it.

Yup. I cannot imagine Nintendo would be so retarded. I am cynical about a lot of things related to Nintendo, but not that they'd jump off a bridge or some shit.

Amir0x said:

Applying that logic to the current generation, Wii would have been DOA.

And yet the Wii and the iPad are very successful
even though I think the Wiimote was a piece of shit controller beside the pointer-function
. So...?

Also I've played some games like Fifa on the iPod Touch which are in my opinion were superior to the DS versions. Even without the missing digital or analog pad.

lilltias

which1spink said:

Kill you're darling and create a new one. This one is not up to par.

Kevin

In my opinion, this whole controller with a six inch screen idea just sounds impractical. I certainly hope that Nintendo doesn't try shipping this console with some hideous screen controller.

Kevin said:
In my opinion, this whole controller with a six inch screen idea just sounds impractical. I certainly hope that Nintendo doesn't try shipping this console with some hideous screen controller.

yea. go with a 4 in screen instead

Amir0x

Banned
which1spink said:
Applying that logic to the current generation, Wii would have been DOA.

And yet the Wii and the iPad
even though I think the Wiimote was a piece of shit controller beside the pointer-function
. So...?

But that makes no sense. The Wiimote controller, as much as I had major issues with it that everybody knows, could still play MOST genres with some reasonable level of competence. And it could play a few genres with a superior level of competence. It wasn't like this: the removal of so many central buttons in favor of a touchscreen would be essentially screaming that you're done in the controller wars, that you hate most genres and don't care if you get those types of games anymore in a competitive way.

As I said, it'd scream from the mountain tops that your system is home to the most inferior controls imaginable, and I'd hope they would save us the time of having to argue with Nintendo fanboys over that fact by just throwing in the towel ahead of time.

No way Nintendo is so stupid.

NpTzH.jpg

Ok this looks pretty ergonomic. My main gripe with most portables such as the psp and ds was how far the analog stick and d-pad were from the bottom of the device. With the psp, whenever i wanted to use the analog nub I would have to move my thumb away from a natural position and after a long session my huge hands would cramp up.
It looks like I'd have a place to rest my pinky. I'd buy it for sure.

wsippel

Banned
Listening to current podcasts is really interesting: IGN Nintendo was very excited and positive, Game Informer was excited and mostly positive, Giant Bomb knew next to nothing and used the opportunity to bash the Wii, WAHP was WAHP (as in "Sony fanboys extraordinaire"), and Gametrailers seemingly didn't even notice the leak happened at all...

StevieP

Banned
Amir0x said:
But that makes no sense. The Wiimote controller, as much as I had major issues with it that everybody knows, could still play MOST genres with some reasonable level of competence. And it could play a few genres with a superior level of competence. It wasn't like this: the removal of so many central buttons in favor of a touchscreen would be essentially screaming that you're done in the controller wars, that you hate most genres and don't care if you get those types of games anymore in a competitive way.

As I said, it'd scream from the mountain tops that your system is home to the most inferior controls imaginable, and I'd hope they would save us the time of having to argue with Nintendo fanboys over that fact by just throwing in the towel ahead of time.

No way Nintendo is so stupid.

As much as Amir0x loves things like exaggeration and hyperbole, I agree with him. That said, IGN has reportedly corroborated this "dual analog controller with an ipad in the middle" thing with multiple sources, so I don't know whether to facepalm or to facepalm hard.

Doc Holliday said:
I'm 99.9 percent sure the touchscreen rumor is bullshit. Of course that probably makes everything else bullshit as well :(

I've been saying that countless pages ago. The more you think about it, the less sense this screen makes. Why downgrade from motion controls to touch controls? Why compete with the TV screen for the user's attention? Why display on a remote screen that which can be shown on the TV? Why translate a portable experience into the living room?

wsippel said:
Listening to current podcasts is really interesting: IGN Nintendo was very excited and positive, Game Informer was excited and mostly positive, Giant Bomb knew next to nothing and used the opportunity to bash the Wii, WAHP was WAHP (as in "Sony fanboys extraordinaire"), and Gametrailers seemingly didn't even notice the leak happened at all...
I have a friend who works for Gametrailers and trust me, they noticed. The only thing is their upper management seems to be convinced that the main leaks are completely fake.

AniHawk

Kevin said:

well it sounds incredibly large if it's mainly going to be used for hud stuff and other information. also, the idea that the game would be streaming to something that's 4:3 means the game itself will be confined to less than half the screen if it's vertical.

still not totally sold that it won't be 16:9 (roughly 5.2in wide by 2.9 high) with an option on the touch screen to flip to the hud when necessary. the wording around it- ipad, tablet- is concerning. however, if the aspect ratio was 16:9, then that could account for the rumor that it was actually an hd screen.

Ookami-kun said:
Is it safe to say that it'll be hilarious if the actual controller has no touchscreen?

I think so!
Thread should be about 20,000 posts long before people realised. Scratch that, 100,000 posts. This'll get dragged out until E3 won't it.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Ani and Amir0x are obviously right if we're going off of knowns (that nintendo is both smart, practical, wants a low barrier to entry, and desires a low-ish initial price).

I'm getting the mockup bug, though. Any rumors regarding the controller you guys think are most credible?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
PantherLotus said:
I'm getting the mockup bug, though. Any rumors regarding the controller you guys think are most credible?

Absolutely none of them, and if the (literally) big one regarding the system+controller is wrong then logically the rest of them are as well because these 'leaks' were so specific in nature.

It's worth remembering that touchscreen in the controller rumours did the rounds with Revolution as well.

Amir0x said:
But that makes no sense. The Wiimote controller, as much as I had major issues with it that everybody knows, could still play MOST genres with some reasonable level of competence. And it could play a few genres with a superior level of competence.
Exactly same applies to touchscreen-only-devices as the iPhone, iPad or my mockup (beside the fact that the two added analog sliders and triggers on the back would fix the major flaw of those devices). And talking about hardcore games like CoD: the only difference between playing it on, say, the 360 and my mockup would be that the facebuttons would be emulated on the touchscreen. Touching a granade-icon on the screen instead pressing the X button seems like to be a real dealbreaker for you (while yet you'd certainly accept a stupid throw-gesture that doesn't work 95% of the time on the Wii). Hm.

Amir0x said:

Don't blame me for thinking in that direction, blame the success of the iOS devices. It's not like I'm in love with the idea, it's simply what I believe what it *could* be like. I know that your agreeing and that's fine. It's just a discussion, Sir.

PantherLotus said:
Ani and Amir0x are obviously right if we're going off of knowns (that nintendo is both smart, practical, wants a low barrier to entry, and desires a low-ish initial price).

Personally, if I was Nintendo, it would be enhanced motion controls. Build on something you've already established.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom