• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat Goron

ShockingAlberto said:
I don't understand why anyone would think anything before they've actually seen what the controller is or what any software would do with it.

A keyboard and mouse in front of a blank screen seems kind of dumb, too.

Well, if we don't think anything, there isn't many reasons to keep reading this thread.

birdchili

there's no chance they're abandoning the "active gaming" genre that they've mainstreamed with wii, so whatever controller is in the box is going to work with that.

i find it hard to believe they'd abandon the pointer functions of the remote too... it's far too useful for both gaming and general ui stuff to bail on.

antonz

Theres a reason why Neogaf posters dont work for Nintendo R&D ;) Gotta be crazy creative with ideas even more so than the other guys

Caramello

A quick mock up based on others, might give some food for thought idk..

xOxzi.png

The controller will not look like anything we've even thought of, that's my bet..

apana

From The Dust said:
it's one of those things that have to be seen to believe. considering we haven't seen it yet, it sounds stupid on paper. but Nintendo knows how to make shit work (even if it isn't sucessful, it fucking works)

I'm assuming there is gonna be a big surprise but if it really is a classic controller with just a regular old touchscreen in the middle it will be an incredible step down from the Wii mote. Wii mote with a second analog stick and maybe a touch pad for biofeedback would be the most awesome controller ever.

Raide

Caramello said:

xOxzi.png

The controller will not look like anything we've even thought of, that's my bet..

Shocked controller is shocked.

Caramello

Cosmonaut X said:
Looks awkward to reach to the sticks etc.

Also looks kind like a gaping mouth with big white eyes...

Wouldn't be awkward to reach the sticks, you'd just hold it further up than what my crappy ergonomics would allow.. I can think of so many other reasons why this design would fail, reaching the sticks comfortably wouldn't be one of them.

GJS

There is a supposed leaked image from an internal project cafe presentation or information sheet going around.

Are we allowed to post that here?

antonz

Caramello said:
Wouldn't be awkward to reach the sticks, you'd just hold it further up than what my crappy ergonomics would allow.. I can think of so many other reasons why this design would fail, reaching the sticks comfortably wouldn't be one of them.
Arms would block the screen controlling via the top which would seemingly disrupt the planned ability to play via the screen

Caramello

Oh wow, I just had a thought! Remember when valve spoke about biofeedback being a very interesting aspect of gaming in the near future?

To read too much into it or not.. that is the question..

GJS said:
There is a supposed leaked image from an internal project cafe presentation or information sheet going around.

Are we allowed to post that here?

If it's the one showing controllers with mock-up screenshots on them, and talking about streams, and all badly photographed... look a couple of pages back.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
civilstrife said:
Toucscreen buttons are fine by me, it's touchscreen analog control that sucks.

You know, "touchscreen" can be too ambiguous at times. I love gaming on the DS's resistive touchscreen because using a stylus you can be very precise. You can click wherever you want immediately, and swiping/sliding can be done quickly as well as steady and accurately.

But I figure most people mean the capacitive touchscreen-based gaming found on modern smartphones. Sure, some games work well where you have to tap or do broad swiping gestures, but I've found many games with "virtual buttons" to be heavily inferior. Playing Megaman 2 on the iphone was a disaster. It's mostly because your fingers don't feel where they are pressing, and making subtle movements becomes much harder than it should be.

If the controller has a touchscreen I think it's merely for displaying extra information as well as having a few extra virtual buttons that you don't have to press frequently. The rumors still say there's a controller with actual sticks and buttons and that what you'll be using to actually play the game with.

I'm calling Cafe controller for core games, but still compatible with M+.

I don't think Nintendo will come out with a new Motion controller with the console.

Nintendo Fusion or Wii fusion.

I'm from the future.

Doorman

Cosmonaut X said:
Looks awkward to reach to the sticks etc.

Also looks kind like a gaping mouth with big white eyes...
Well you see, he wasn't actually making a mockup of the controller at all. It's actually a mockup of what our collective reactions will be once we finally DO see what the Cafe controller is.

birdchili said:
there's no chance they're abandoning the "active gaming" genre that they've mainstreamed with wii, so whatever controller is in the box is going to work with that.

i find it hard to believe they'd abandon the pointer functions of the remote too... it's far too useful for both gaming and general ui stuff to bail on.
No thanks. Pointers in gaming can die. Useless crap.

Krowley

Honestly, this really feels like the leadup to the release of an MS or Sony console with all the loose lips and whatnot. I fully expect a real pic of the controller to leak anytime now, but we probably won't know it's real.

Hell, maybe that blurry pic from earlier was real. It almost looks like it was blurred on purpose. Maybe somebody trying to make sure an identifying watermark wasn't visible so it couldn't be traced back.

Whatever happened to the vitality sensor? It seems like it's a little bit late for it to come out for the wii.

Maybe the vitality sensor will double as a pointing device.

BGBW said:
While I highly doubt this is true, I'd rather Silicon Knights were on board since they were the ones who created the ED universe and already had plans for what a sequel could contain, such as the yellow ancient.
And have the game take 10 years and a billion dollars? Ehhhhh...

Lance Bone Path said:
Whatever happened to the vitality sensor? It seems like it's a little bit late for it to come out for the wii.

Maybe the vitality sensor will double as a pointing device.

Not sure but maybe they figured it was a better idea in theory than in practice and it won't see the light of day.

Caramello said:

xOxzi.png

Add in the pen/pointer idea and I think this works nicely. The thumbsticks can be something like that without obscuring the screen, as long as the grips make your thums lie mostly horizontally.

all this talk of 6" screen made me go "fuck it, I'll draw it out." so I did and I came up with these dimentions:

4:3: 4.83" x 3.55"

16:9: 5.23" x 3.94"

drawn on paper, the 4:3 screen wouldn't be all that extreme. still large by controller standards, but it you can easily stretch your thumbs over have the screen width. this makes it great for virtual keyboards for online games like Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star. you can do the same with the 16:9 screen, but I think the 4:3 screen would be the best option (personal opinion here)

Pie Lord

Caramello said:

xOxzi.png

How exactly are we supposed to hold that? Seems like it would unbelievably awkward.

Vinci

Danish
I don't even know why Nintendo bothers. They should just keep doing their own wacky thing. Forget traditional. Forget what Sony and MS are doing. Forget what 3rd parties want.

onQ123

From The Dust said:
all this talk of 6" screen made me go "fuck it, I'll draw it out." so I did and I came up with these dimentions:

4:3: 4.83" x 3.55"

16:9: 5.23" x 3.94"

drawn on paper, the 4:3 screen wouldn't be all that extreme. still large by controller standards, but it you can easily stretch your thumbs over have the screen width. this makes it great for virtual keyboards for online games like Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star. you can do the same with the 16:9 screen, but I think the 4:3 screen would be the best option (personal opinion here)

that's what I was saying earlier a 4:3 6" screen isn't really that big

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom