• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
antonz said:
Its tuesday guys. 4 PM Tuesday Tokyo time aka 3 AM Tuesday EST, Midnight Pacific. Event will be streamed but of course in japanese so will need moonspeak translators
Had no idea this was being streamed. Pumped for 1am central time!

M74

Pyrokai said:
Do you, personally, think they will? Rumors aside?
I think they'll try. They'll have to succeed at guessing how far forward MS/Sony plan on going in terms of horsepower and at guessing what range of downgrading developers are willing to tolerate/provide for. Devs will be looking for the degree of ease in downgrading their wares to fit the platform. That is, unless this 1-2 year lead cements N6 as lead platform for the generation (which would be astonishing), then they'll be looking at the upgrade factor.

Who the heck knows what we'll get from this? It's crazy Nintendo land.

And do you think Epic Games will lock out the system again with the next Unreal Engine? I think that's a big thing, you know? Hmmm....
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I've ever heard a single kind word from Epic regarding Nintendo. But hey, they're in the business of making money just like everyone else. If the system can handle a respectable (reasonably complete) version of the engine, they'd be crazy not to open it up for use.

On a related note, I really hope IGN is right about Retro being hard at work on an N6 engine.

Pyrokai

Interesting. This will be interesting....

I only asked about Epic Games because it seems a tong of devs use the UE3 engine, so it would make sense that they should try to be sure the console can run it if the trend continues with UE4...

antonz

Pyrokai said:
Interesting. This will be interesting....

I only asked about Epic Games because it seems a tong of devs use the UE3 engine, so it would make sense that they should try to be sure the console can run it if the trend continues with UE4...
the latest engine preview from Epic is going to have to go through alarge amount of optimization and downgrading for it to be practical. The fact it takes 3 of the most powerful single GPU graphics cards on the market right now means its not practical. $1500 dollars worth of consumer GPU.

M74

antonz said:
the latest engine preview from Epic is going to have to go through alarge amount of optimization and downgrading for it to be practical. The fact it takes 3 of the most powerful single GPU graphics cards on the market right now means its not practical. $1500 dollars worth of consumer GPU.
I was just about about to edit my prior post to point this out. Frankly, even the Xbox3/PS4 won't be able to run what we've seen of the latest Unreal engine. Regardless of platform, we can reasonably expect a downgraded version of the engine to be in use.

antonz

M74 said:
I was just about about to edit my prior post to point this out. Frankly, even the Xbox3/PS4 won't be able to run what we've seen of the latest Unreal engine. Regardless of platform, we can reasonably expect a downgraded version of the engine to be in use.
Yep and the fact the next upgrade to UE is as beefy as it is UE3 is here to be used for many more years to come. SO the fact Nintendo will be launching a device more capable than current machines UE3 is a given for Nintendo.

Epic doesnt have alot of nice things to sya about Nintendo but they have made it clear Nintendo puts out hardware that can use their stuff and it will go there.

-PXG- said:
Okay I just saw some "leaked" photos which I'm assuming have benn posted several pages back? Are they real?
If it looks like its supposed to be some Official Nintendo documentation then yes its been seen and most likely fake

evangd007

Doorman said:
Exactly. It's a risk, but the alternative would be releasing a system marginally more powerful than a competitor that can run most of the same games and has had a year, two, or more to build up a community. Limping into the generation without something big to tilt content creation back in their favor would guarantee near-irrelevance.

So Nintendo is putting Sony and MS in a situation where the only solutions are "bad idea" and "incredibly risky idea"? Where's my Keikaku means plan pic...

This is just a cleaner version of the inverted colors picture poster's idea, so credit to him, can't find the post now!

2ljkd2b.gif

Choosing to assume 6" diagonal screen is devkit only!
Looking at it now, those analog triggers wouldn't be able to move .. shit :p

I hope Nintendo learns from their mistake with the 3DS and launches their next console with a strong AAA title. Preferably a new Mario thats like Super Mario 64.

-PXG-

antonz said:
Yep and the fact the next upgrade to UE is as beefy as it is UE3 is here to be used for many more years to come. SO the fact Nintendo will be launching a device more capable than current machines UE3 is a given for Nintendo.

Epic doesnt have alot of nice things to sya about Nintendo but they have made it clear Nintendo puts out hardware that can use their stuff and it will go there.

If it looks like its supposed to be some Official Nintendo documentation then yes its been seen and most likely fake
Sure did. Looked like an internal doc ok of the shematics.

M74

Anticitizen One said:
I hope Nintendo learns from their mistake with the 3DS and launches their next console with a strong AAA title. Preferably a new Mario thats like Super Mario 64.
How about a strong AAA 3rd party title? Assuming one exists.

PantherLotus said:
1. The Wii Remote is 5.83" long, right?
2. When someone says, 6 inch ipad, they're talking height, right?

Likely diagonal, as that's how such things are measured. in other words, depending on the screen:

4:3: 4.83" x 3.55"

16:9: 5.23" x 3.94"

Will definetely keep my eye on this.

Hopefully it is way more powerful then the 360.

Being slightly more powerful then the 360 , 5 years later is pathetic.

If it is indeed on par with the 360 or only slightly better I will skip this.

This is the same reason why I will not purchase a 3ds.

Choosing to assume 6" diagonal screen is devkit only!
Looking at it now, those analog triggers wouldn't be able to move .. shit :p

3"X2" doesn't produce a 6" diagonal. Think about a 3,4,5 triangle.... a^2 + b^2 = c^2.

sqrt(9+4) = 3.something

not to be an ass but...

I do like that mockup though, that covers the motion base as well.

Edit: Oh, your saying that there isn't a 6" screen... my bad.

AceBandage said:
Nintendo's Investor Meeting is on the 26th in Japan (25th in the states).
They'll likely reveal the system's existence there, but not get a lot of details.

I think they'll reveal at E3 and not the investor meeting.

Soroc

the androgyne said:
You're right, GCN ftw, plus analog triggers now movable

5nqauv.gif

I think this is the best mockup by far. Really well done the androgyne. Modular for versatility but also ergonomic for traditional gaming.

BowieZ

Banned
Soroc said:
I think this is the best mockup by far. Really well done the androgyne. Modular for versatility but also ergonomic for traditional gaming.
Yeah, except it's missing the 6" screen...

Pretty much anyone is capable of doing a mockup with a smaller screen... the design challenge is fitting a huge-ass touchscreen in there somewhere.

Striek

I hope Tuesday comes and none of the controller speculation is true.

I personally don't want to be looking down and up, back and forth, from TV screen to a controller. My admittedly limited imagination cannot think of anything that would play better with such a setup. I don't want developers to replace mundane actions with mundane minigames and move important information (like in-game maps) to an awkward place.

onipex

EDarkness said:
There's no reason why they can't have both, though. I think "core" gamers are relatively easy to please and with higher powered hardware and the potential for more ports of big games, they'll have more of a chance to keep people from "not turning on their system" for months.

There is a reason. Nintendo either needs quality third party support or Nintendo needs to fill their own software gaps. I think Nintendo needs to do both. The hardware can be the second coming but that means nothing if it does not have the games people want. . Nintendo's current output of games does not appeal to the FPS, horror, or western rpg crowd. They can't just rely on those games from third parties. Nintendo needs to outsouce such games or make them with one to their 1st/2nd party teams.

Pocks

antonz said:
Its tuesday guys. 4 PM Tuesday Tokyo time aka 3 AM Tuesday EST, Midnight Pacific. Event will be streamed apparently but of course in japanese so will need moonspeak translators
Where did you hear that it was going to be streamed? That's pretty awesome if true. I imagine andriasang will be liveblogging the presser.

M74 said:

On a related note, I really hope IGN is right about Retro being hard at work on an N6 engine.
Was this on the podcast or..? Thinking about how Retro made the GCN shine with MP1.. it'd be nice to see Retro develop a killer engine that will be available to other devs.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Has the Nintendo investor Q&A ever been streamed before?
onipex said:
There is a reason. Nintendo either needs quality third party support or Nintendo needs to fill their own software gaps. I think Nintendo needs to do both. The hardware can be the second coming but that means nothing if it does not have the games people want. . Nintendo's current output of games does not appeal to the FPS, horror, or western rpg crowd. They can't just rely on those games from third parties. Nintendo needs to outsouce such games or make them with one to their 1st/2nd party teams.
They did just that on the GCN. Didn't turn out so well.

antonz

Pocks said:
Where did you hear that it was going to be streamed? That's pretty awesome if true. I imagine andriasang will be liveblogging the presser.

Was this on the podcast or..? Thinking about how Retro made the GCN shine with MP1.. it'd be nice to see Retro develop a killer engine that will be available to other devs.
Nintendo as far as I know always does a video of it. The finance news site via the AOL network says it will be done. Only concern so far is while Finance sites are saying its happening Nintendos site hasnt added the event yet

M74

Pocks said:
They posit during the podcast that while one team within Retro was tasked with DKCR, they had most everyone else developing a new engine.

BowieZ said:
Yeah, except it's missing the 6" screen...

Pretty much anyone is capable of doing a mockup with a smaller screen... the design challenge is fitting a huge-ass touchscreen in there somewhere.

That's not much of a challenge either, the challenge would be in holding it, storing it, pretty much doing anything with it other than using it as a blunt force object :)

2zqbhbq.gif

BowieZ

Banned
the androgyne said:
That's not much of a challenge either, the challenge would be in holding it, storing it, pretty much doing anything with it other than using it as a blunt force object :)
Thank you Professor Ergonomics :p

Pocks

M74 said:
They posit during the podcast that while one team within Retro was tasked with DKCR, they had most everyone else developing a new engine.
I haven't been able to find it.. Any chance you could provide a link?

carlo6529

the androgyne said:
You're right, GCN ftw, plus analog triggers now movable

5nqauv.gif

Man, you went to town on the rough concept =) . Looks good.

To everyone complaining that the screen isn't 6 inches, the remote could just be made longer but that would make a huge controller; aesthetically it looks better like this,

the androgyne said:

2zqbhbq.gif

Haha yeah, I don't think they'll be able to make a 6" screen with a layout like that, it's just not practical.

I really have no idea of what it might look like, but if it truly has a 6" screen with controller inputs, I wonder if it could resemble this somewhat?

zj9y1d.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
Just had a crazy idea: what if the touchscreen component sat strapped within an elastic frame between your forearms lolol

2vl9p1l.png

EDIT: dammit! you wouldn't be able to touch it! lol but i thought it was crazy enough to possibly work

v Mario Kart

Goon Boon

Banned
Hey, found some fake looking pictures (shitty angle and sort of blurry, sort of reminds me of those e3 fake leaks), just wondering what the game they used for the four controllers is, they look sort of familiar but I can't place my finger on them. Also if in the unlikely event that they're not fake and actually are scans then woops.

iclg4.jpg

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Goon Boon said:
Hey, found some fake looking pictures, just wondering what the game they used for the four controllers is, they look sort of familiar but I can't place my finger on them. Also if in the unlikely event that they're not fake and actually are scans then woops.

iclg4.jpg

Posted a few pages back.

milanbaros

Member?
Lonewolf_92 said:
Likely diagonal, as that's how such things are measured. in other words, depending on the screen:

4:3: 4.83" x 3.55"

16:9: 5.23" x 3.94"

I can see just by looking at the numbers the second one is wrong.

Goon Boon said:
Hey, found some fake looking pictures (shitty angle and sort of blurry, sort of reminds me of those e3 fake leaks), just wondering what the game they used for the four controllers is, they look sort of familiar but I can't place my finger on them. Also if in the unlikely event that they're not fake and actually are scans then woops.
Most likely Mario Kart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom