• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
the androgyne said:
You're right, GCN ftw, plus analog triggers now movable

5nqauv.gif

Peripheral and plastic hell. I don't want all those pieces everywhere.

Guardian Bob said:
Peripheral and plastic hell. I don't want all those pieces everywhere.

Plus using it as a motion controller would be pretty lousy with those "touch buttons." Ick. Single unit, please.

Otherwise, besides the GameCube "bean buttons," it's probably not too far off, if IGN's rumors are to be believed.

Fantastical said:
So... what are the chances this is coming out this year? I'm thinking pretty slim, but... could it happen?

At this early stage, I'd say there's only a 0 - 30% chance of the system arriving this holiday. Most likely early 2012 at the soonest. However, we don't know enough about how far along the system is to be certain one way or the other.

StickSoldier said:
I really have no idea of what it might look like, but if it truly has a 6" screen with controller inputs, I wonder if it could resemble this somewhat?

zj9y1d.jpg

Could work, but it would need to be more ergonomic with the hands thus, the sleekness of that design would be destroyed.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Since we're well into crazy talk now...

Some of the fake images gave me the impression that the system will not connect to a TV, or at least doesn't need to be. It would be a merging of their handheld and game console systems as a non-portable handheld. It explains the built-in screen and the codename, plus its got enough WTF to it to come from Nintendo.

BowieZ said:
Just had a crazy idea: what if the touchscreen component sat strapped within an elastic frame between your forearms lolol

2vl9p1l.png

EDIT: dammit! you wouldn't be able to touch it! lol but i thought it was crazy enough to possibly work

v Mario Kart
You and your sicko bondage fetish! ;)

Fantastical said:
So... what are the chances this is coming out this year? I'm thinking pretty slim, but... could it happen?

None what so ever. Most publishers, outside of major teams, have only just gotten their alpha dev kits. Unless Nintendo plans to launch with only their games, there is no way its coming out this year.

dwu8991

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Could work, but it would need to be more ergonomic with the hands thus, the sleekness of that design would be destroyed.

No this can't work, hand cramps galore. Any pull out controls are gimped.

Gamer @ Heart said:

I always thought it was silly how that mock-up leaves no room for your fingers. Are you only supposed to tap the Up and Triangle buttons with the tips of your thumb?

Pocks

Fantastical said:
Nintendo will focus on 3DS this holiday season. I can see them releasing March 2012 though.. It would make for a very strong fiscal year.

IGN seems to think, based on sources, that Nintendo wants to release Q1 or Q2 2012.

Q: If the Wii 2 is really launching in late 2012 and is being announced this June, how will we survive the drought of games until the Wii 2's launch? - Secret_Tunnel

A: Two points on this. First, I'm hearing that Nintendo would love to launch in Q1 or Q2 2012 if at all possible. So late 2012 does seem a bit out of the picture… software development pending.
Source

Krowley

If the reported dimensions and description are correct, and assuming the screen is positioned horizontally, I think it would have to look sort of like this:

208d845.jpg

I quickly threw this together in paint, and it is pure shit, but you get the point.

If the screen is really that size, it's going to be a very wide controller. I'm assuming that it's wide-screen since it's supposed to have HD games streamed to it.

onipex

Krev said:
They did just that on the GCN. Didn't turn out so well.

The problem with GCN is the same problem with the Wii. Lack of strong third party support. Nintendo does not need third party support to sell hardware. They need it to get the "core" gamers.

antonz

The Gamecube was doomed by Mini Discs and the look of the console. Those 2 things if had been handled differently would have been a very different turn out. Not saying won the generation but it would have done much better.

Developers are not going to go out of their way to make a 4GB game fit on a 1.5GB disc. If they have to change,edit etc that much they will just stick to the 2 consoles that dont need to be tinkered with.

If Nintendo sticks with DVDs for the Wii2 I will label it as just as big a fuck up move. Yes the 360 is stuck with them for now but Wii 2 using DVD will screw it long term

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Amir0x said:
the whole series. That's why I said they keep working on bad series*
While I haven't given the DKCR a try, I have to agree that I don't like the series ether. There is a single Rare game I actually Enjoy.

luffeN

antonz said:
Its tuesday guys. 4 PM Tuesday Tokyo time aka 3 AM Tuesday EST, Midnight Pacific. Event will be streamed apparently but of course in japanese so will need moonspeak translators
So that's 8 AM CET (GMT+1), nice! Will it be audio only or also video?

antonz said:
The Gamecube was doomed by Mini Discs and the look of the console. Those 2 things if had been handled differently would have been a very different turn out. Not saying won the generation but it would have done much better.

Developers are not going to go out of their way to make a 4GB game fit on a 1.5GB disc. If they have to change,edit etc that much they will just stick to the 2 consoles that dont need to be tinkered with.

If Nintendo sticks with DVDs for the Wii2 I will label it as just as big a fuck up move. Yes the 360 is stuck with them for now but Wii 2 using DVD will screw it long term

The size issue was a problem, but not the real killer. The fact is, the audience for the cube just didnt give a flying fuck about third party games. Dam near every major third party game got a gamecube version for those first 2 years and the sales for those versions where 1/10 of the next best selling version practically. After that, the cube version slowly started going away until it was practically non existent by 05. Unless it was a kids game, it sold terribly.

Gamer @ Heart said:
The size issue was a problem, but not the real killer. The fact is, the audience for the cube just didnt give a flying fuck about third party games. Dam near every major third party game got a gamecube version for those first 2 years and the sales for those versions where 1/10 of the next best selling version practically. After that, the cube version slowly started going away until it was practically non existent by 05. Unless it was a kids game, it sold terribly.

It was quite common for GCN versions to be released later than their counterparts on the two other systems though. Never by much, but that had to hurt their sales to an extent.

Holy Order Sol said:
It was quite common for GCN versions to be released later than their counterparts on the two other systems though. Never by much, but that had to hurt their sales to an extent.

I totally forgot about this, you are totally right. It was always around 2 to 3 months, when the marketing push was long since dead. The average game has 75% of its sales within the first month and this just further hurt it.

antonz

Gamer @ Heart said:
You are right but part of that goes to the head start the PS2 had. A head start is a powerful thing to have if you can manage to make the most of it. It didn't help the Purple Lunchbox comparison etc made it the uncool thing as well

Nintendo came to the party late even though a superior machine hampered by inferior storage medium.

Pretty much everything that could go wrong for the gamecube did. They made it far too cartoony in appearance in an age where all the kids are trying to be dudebros, inferior storage and the PS2 having a 30 million unit+ gap shortly after launch of GC and Xbox.

Log4Girlz

antonz said:
You are right but part of that goes to the head start the PS2 had. A head start is a powerful thing to have if you can manage to make the most of it. It didn't help the Purple Lunchbox comparison etc made it the uncool thing as well

Nintendo came to the party late even though a superior machine hampered by inferior storage medium.

Pretty much everything that could go wrong for the gamecube did. They made it far too cartoony in appearance in an age where all the kids are trying to be dudebros, inferior storage and the PS2 having a 30 million unit+ gap shortly after launch of GC and Xbox.

It was a goddamn purple purse. If it looked like the Wii and used DVD's it would have sold pretty fucking good IMO.

antonz

Log4Girlz said:
It was a goddamn purple purse. If it looked like the Wii and used DVD's it would have sold pretty fucking good IMO.
Yep if it had been a better design it would have certainly helped the perception of it.

Honestly I kinda see Nintendo trying to do the PS2 strategy here. Launch early and build a base that might be hard to overcome. If they can manage that and actually be friendly with the 3rd parties I find it hard for Sony or Microsoft to successful dethrone.

Log4Girlz

antonz said:
Yep if it had been a better design it would have certainly helped the perception of it.

Honestly I kinda see Nintendo trying to do the PS2 strategy here. Launch early and build a base that might be hard to overcome. If they can manage that and actually be friendly with the 3rd parties I find it hard for Sony or Microsoft to successful dethrone.

I always had a hunch Nintendo would come out first, simply because they invested so little as opposed to the competition (who sold their systems at a loss...that in itself is a form of investment, and you hope for a return later with software sales). IF they can put some very decent hardware say a 4 on my scale as quoted from another thread

Log4Girlz said:
Ok, so Detective Gaf, what power level do you expect for this thing? (no over 9k jokes)

Scenario 1: Xbox 360 level (not much more or less)

Scenario 2: Notch above 360 (running current gen games, regardless of complexity at 1080p)

Scenario 3: Significantly above 360 (running any current game games at 1080p, 60fps with improves textures and IQ)

Scenario 4: Next-gen .5 (Runs current-gen games as listed above, but in addition has just enough horsepower to create innovative new engines to provide graphics and performance never before seen at home, but below expectations for the next Xbox and Playstation)

Scenario 5: True Next-Gen (Xbox 720 or PS4 level, or just a hair or two below)

I'm expecting scenario 2. You will have developers who may want to show graphics beyond what the 360 can do by just lowering the resolution.

They can definitely pull a ps2. BUT, I'm so scared it will be a 1 or 2 :/

SpokkX

the androgyne said:
Poster above is correct, 16:9 screen with 6" diagonal is ~5.2x2.9"... still a hefty beast tho!

f2rfjn.gif

This is not a bad idea actually.. makes sense

My bet is still a Wii-mote with physical buttons and a touchscreen instead of plastic behind them

Overall the form factor will be that of the current wii-mote. The casual audience expects this today

6s5q8h.jpg

Krowley

Log4Girlz said:
I always had a hunch Nintendo would come out first, simply because they invested so little as opposed to the competition (who sold their systems at a loss...that in itself is a form of investment, and you hope for a return later with software sales). IF they can put some very decent hardware say a 4 on my scale as quoted from another thread

They can definitely pull a ps2. BUT, I'm so scared it will be a 1 or 2 :/

I can see scenario 4 being very likely. I don't think they'll go all out on power, but I think it will be strong enough to impress compared to current gen consoles.

It will still leave some room for the next gen consoles from sony and microsoft to outperform it, but honestly I think that's going to matter less and less with each passing generation. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Games just look objectively good now. They can still look better, but it's not going to matter as much in future generations.

The very fact that the wii, with it's significantly weaker specs, didn't get blown out of the water financially by the other two is the first sign of the practical effects of diminishing returns. The wii games looked "good enough" for most people, and the improved graphics for the other consoles were significant, but not enough to allow them to destroy Nintendo in terms of sales. This effect should continue to get more pronounced with each generation of consoles.

conman

antonz said:
Pretty much. The only catch I see at the moment is how they convince all those non-traditional Wii owners to upgrade to the WiiPad. Even with backwards compat, there's no reason for them to bother upgrading. How does Nintendo bring them along for the ride? Will the pad be 3D like the 3DS? Will it include controller-free motion tech like Kinect? Both?

Remote play is a sure thing for this console.
But i also think you will able to play 3DS games, you can move/slide the screen vertically and horizontally.

Dunno if it is bad for 3DS :p

Log4Girlz

I know the whole world would be against this idea...but I would love a simple Ram expansion port on this thing. Once MS and Sony decide to release a competitor, hey slip in some Ram and get a little boost...would help them be a little more competitive.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Log4Girlz said:
I know the whole world would be against this idea...but I would love a simple Ram expansion port on this thing. Once MS and Sony decide to release a competitor, hey slip in some Ram and get a little boost...would help them be a little more competitive.

Wouldn't work, it would fail like the N64DD did.

[Nintex]

So that Divnich analyst guy tweeted this 3 days ago:
JesseDivnich
3 Days till Tokyo....I wonder what I will see? Or better yet, play? I am told my "socks will be knocked off".
18 Apr

I wonder if he'll spill some of the beans.

This:
f2rfjn.gif

Makes sense on many levels, pretty much the Wii Wheel design taken a step further.

Log4Girlz

Andrex said:
Wouldn't work, it would fail like the N64DD did.

I was hoping more like the N64 Ram pak. It was released too late in life and the N64 didn't have anywhere near the market penetration of the Wii...I think a similar concept would be far better received on Cafe. But again, everyone will think I'm wrong :(

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Did you originally consider putting in a "B" style button, to better emulate the GC?

Never crossed my mind, i have always wanted the 3 beans since it was first shown!
Together with the original blue for A, green for blue colours :)

Krowley

the androgyne said:
Updated with GCN size comparison, accurate analog sizes

Wow that really puts it in perspective. It's going to be fucking huge. That might even be bigger than the n64 controller, hell I guess it's probably a lot bigger.

Why in god's name do they need such a big screen? How are they going to use it? Very confusing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I might need to find a better storage solution for my controllers so I don't scratch the screen. The ol' controller basket just won't cut it any more.

BGBW said:
I might need to find a better storage solution for my controllers so I don't scratch the screen. The ol' controller basket just won't cut it any more.

If they're planning to make the damn thing ~15" across, just build an outhouse...

neoanarch

the androgyne said:
Updated with GCN size comparison, accurate analog sizes

258q6x1.gif

Take out the handles on the new one, looking at the GCN control in there makes me realize there isn't any use in them sticking out, they'll probably be hidden underneath.

Yagharek

SpokkX said:
This is not a bad idea actually.. makes sense

My bet is still a Wii-mote with physical buttons and a touchscreen instead of plastic behind them

Overall the form factor will be that of the current wii-mote. The casual audience expects this today

6s5q8h.jpg

I love the simplicity of that mockup, would be great to see in practice.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Cosmonaut X said:
If they're planning to make the damn thing ~15" across, just build an outhouse...
So we've gone from "XBawks heug" to PS3 large (never really caught on) to giant Nintendo controllers.

Gamer @ Heart said:

There were certain third party games that did very well on Gamecube (relative to the other platforms) - Burnout 2, Beyond Good & Evil, TimeSplitters 2 are three such examples I can remember... later in its life, third parties seemed to start punishing the Gamecube for its lack of online. Despite good sales for previous iterations, it didn't get Burnout 3, it got the most inferior version of Timesplitters Future Perfect etc.

neoanarch said:
Take out the handles on the new one, looking at the GCN control in there makes me realize there isn't any use in them sticking out, they'll probably be hidden underneath.

Good point, here's another.

2lxw1zl.gif

I think it'll be simpler than we think: wii 2 will use all existing wii controllers plus the tablet, that will be just... a tablet, a wiimote peripheral just like now we have the nunchuck or the classic controller. Substantially, it will be used in combination with the wiimote. (already thinking of pikmin 3...)

Nintendo already implemented retro-compatibility for the controllers on wii (even if actually obliged by hardware structure), and I think they will expand on this for two reasons: 1-To assure full compatibility with wii software including virtual console 2-to make easier transition and incentivate consumers moving to newer console.

EDIT:
swy8lz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom