• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

swerve

Satoru Iwata said:
I believe that there will always be unique experiences that only home consoles can realize. Nintendo has to make efforts to offer the public something only our home console systems can achieve.

There are also a number of restrictions with home consoles such as you have to be in front of a TV set, all the players must get together in one place and you cannot play if someone else is watching a TV program.

I feel that an increasing number of people, who are playing with a variety of games, are saying, "I used to be able to start home console games rather casually, just whenever I felt like playing with them, but nowadays, because I am used to the easy-to-start handheld game devices, I have to have a rather strong determination to start playing with home console games."

I think he's giving us hints about the personal screens here, and their ability to interact with the machine even when the TV is doing something else. Easy, handheld style 'pick up and play' brought to the home machine.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/110128qa/index.html

Londa

Banned
These designs show no real creativity. Nintendo usually starts designing from a clean palette and not with old controller designs in mind.

I said it already pages back but I want to further develop my thinking...

The console IS the screen AND the controller, it's a 15"-18" tablet, similar to Ipad, multitouchscreen, with layered 3d like the 3ds, and haptick feedback.
You can play it horizontal in a complete multitouch way (imagine pikmin 3 with this!) or you could put the screen/console vertical and play with a normal controller, or the wii controller...

They absolutely wouldn't have any kind of competition because Sony and Microsoft would never be able to copy it and they would be the only on the market for years to come probably.

This way you could have whatever kind of gameplay you like and still be absolutely simple for everyone.
Well, if Nintendo don't do it, I'd like to see something like this one day :)

wsippel

Banned
So Jesse Divnich is in Tokyo right now to see the new hardware or what? That's a bit unusual, considering it hasn't even been announced yet. I believe analysts typically get hands on time during or after an announcement...

moozoom

swerve said:
I think he's giving us hints about the personal screens here, and their ability to interact with the machine even when the TV is doing something else. Easy, handheld style 'pick up and play' brought to the home machine.

This is exactly how I'm gaming nowadays... The Ds has become my main console, while most of the time, I can't be bothered to start playing on the PS3. How many times have I booted the console to have a new firmware and patches to install... when the game is finally at the start screen, I'm already playing another game on DS or ipad. I work at home, so portables are great to play when the 3d renders or I'm waiting for a client's call...

I'd love to access my wii(2) remotely and play Monster hunter tri, or SMG2 in my office without being in front of the tv.

Coen

First Children said:
I said it already pages back but I want to further develop my thinking...

The console IS the screen AND the controller, it's a 15"-18" tablet, similar to Ipad, multitouchscreen, with layered 3d like the 3ds, and haptick feedback.
You can play it horizontal in a complete multitouch way (imagine pikmin 3 with this!) or you could put the screen/console vertical and play with a normal controller, or the wii controller...

They absolutely wouldn't have any kind of competition because Sony and Microsoft would never be able to copy it and they would be the only on the market for years to come probably.

This way you could have whatever kind of gameplay you like and still be absolutely simple for everyone.
Well, if Nintendo don't do it, I'd like to see something like this one day :)

As much as I'd like to believe this to be true, I don't think Nintendo will once again force third parties to develop games exclusively for its console due to some insane controller set-up.

Whatever Nintendo comes up with, it has to be both accessible for third parties to port over their projects and it has to have something consumers won't get with other conventional consoles. If they're going with a more alien idea of at-home-gaming, like what you're describing, they're going to have to carry it alone, software-wise. I don't think they'll make that mistake twice. But just doing WiiHD isn't going to cut it either, because there'd be no incentive for customers to choose it over a Move/Kinect bundle.

Coen said:
As much as I'd like to believe this to be true, I don't think Nintendo will once again force third parties to develop games exclusively for its console due to some insane controller set-up.

Whatever Nintendo comes up with, it has to be both accessible for third parties to port over their projects and it has to have something consumers won't get with other conventional consoles. If they're going with a more alien idea of at-home-gaming, like what you're describing, they're going to have to carry it alone, software-wise. I don't think they'll make that mistake twice. But just doing WiiHD isn't going to cut it either, because there'd be no incentive for customers to choose it over a Move/Kinect bundle.
First Children said:
or you could put the screen/console vertical and play with a normal controller
:p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
wsippel said:
So Jesse Divnich is in Tokyo right now to see the new hardware or what? That's a bit unusual, considering it hasn't even been announced yet. I believe analysts typically get hands on time during or after an announcement...
No, the only cafes he is there for is the maid cafes.

wsippel

Banned
BGBW said:
No, the only cafes he is there for is the maid cafes.
Wouldn't surprise me, but still:

3 Days till Tokyo....I wonder what I will see? Or better yet, play? I am told my "socks will be knocked off".
18 Apr

I'll do just about anything if there exists a chance I can play hardware and games before anyone else. I'll be safe.
18 Apr

I am now off to Tokyo!
vor 16 Stunden

abstract alien said:
Now that you bring it up, it does make sense. I remember that quote, but it never occurred to me. God find swerve.
yup. That's why the NGp is a step in the right direction.
People can play their competative multiplayer games in console quality (at least it will look close to that on that screen size) and with a console controller (dual sticks) and play them anywhere they want.

with a 6 inch screen.. and more power than the PS3... woaw.
It could look nice streamed on a tv (720P), but ridiculously detailed on the 6 inch screen.

The 6" screen rumor is still puzzling people, but I believe the best explanation for it so far is the knowledge that both the Wiimote and the original NES controller are nearly 6" diagonal, meaning that at least some of the physical controls will overlap with the display.

How? Well both of these technologies are possible today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i73p5kTAHvc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph7KprtxTNI

Nintendo might have something better in mind.

Coen

First Children said:

Hm, on second thought, maybe you're on to something. If whatever's streaming the data to your tablet controller also has HDMI output and an option to pick TV output over controller output, I agree that it's plausible.

MYE

Giving my mock-up another shot

dzxf9y.jpg

updates:

- Added Two thumbsticks. C-stick is out
- (+) and (-) buttons are gone
- Bigger screen

wsippel said:

Hmmmm. If it's playable (and he would certainly know), then that's very interesting.

No offense MYE... but that makes me hard.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MYE said:

- Two thumbsticks
- Bigger screen

This makes more sense. I mean, for the screen to be in a portrait orientation vs landscape. From a horizontal space POV.

Perhaps less sense from a remote-play/'streaming full games' POV, but more sense in a ' iPad in the middle of a gamecube controller' POV, with the default orientation of an iPad usually shown as portrait.

Adding a 6" screen on a controller is not gonna make "normal" gaming better, the controller would weight at least 0,5kg, and you are not gonna get hardcore gamers nor casual gamers with that.

The same for a Wii controller, it's gonna weight more and without physical buttons you would have to look at the controller every time to be sure what you are pressing.

Also cordless gaming is not possible because of high power consumption.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
gofreak said:
This makes more sense. I mean, for the screen to be in a portrait orientation vs landscape. From a horizontal space POV.

Perhaps less sense from a remote-play/'streaming full games' POV, but more sense in a ' iPad in the middle of a gamecube controller' POV, with the default orientation of an iPad usually shown as portrait.

I did it first. :/

Ct5h2.png

First Children said:
Adding a 6" screen on a controller is not gonna make "normal" gaming better, the controller would weight at least 0,5kg, and you are not gonna get hardcore gamers nor casual gamers.

The same for a Wii controller, it's gonna weight more and without physical buttons you would have to look at the controller every time to be sure what you are pressing.

Except it'll have physical buttons and shouldn't weigh all that much.
The battery life should last at least 15 hours, since it won't have to do a lot of processing.

antonz

[Nintex] said:
Nintendo's investor meeting is in Tokyo.
Yes but not until next Tuesday. Just seems a little odd to fly an Analyst in who is allowed to say He's going to such an event for something that "officially" doesn't exist.

wsippel

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
maybe another 5-6 more days without any word from Nintendo about this?
Considering Nintendo seemingly invited at least one American analyst to Tokyo, the announcement might happen even sooner than that - possibly in 12 to 18 hours. Probably not a bad idea to get it out of the way prior to the shareholder meeting early next week. Then again, maybe Divnich just wanted to spend a weekend in Tokyo and flew over just for the shareholder meeting.

GDGF

Soothsayer
swerve said:

Yeah, this + Miyamoto's comments from a while back about wanting to open up the space in the livingroom and make home console games extend beyond the home console are pretty big hints I think.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
First Children said:
Adding a 6" screen on a controller is not gonna make "normal" gaming better, the controller would weight at least 0,5kg

Not remotely that.

There's probably no internals to the thing, from a processing POV. They can make it very light.

There will be physical buttons though.

First Children said:

They can put a large-area battery in these things. With nothing to power except the screen, look at tablet battery life and extrapolate from there. You'd be looking at double-digit battery life...it'd be more than enough to be viable. And they'll probably have a 'cradle' like 3DS for handy charging when you're not playing.

Metal Gear?! said:
The 6" screen rumor is still puzzling people, but I believe the best explanation for it so far is the knowledge that both the Wiimote and the original NES controller are nearly 6" diagonal, meaning that at least some of the physical controls will overlap with the display.

How? Well both of these technologies are possible today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i73p5kTAHvc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph7KprtxTNI

Nintendo might have something better in mind.
Cafemockup.jpg

cafepro.jpg

swerve

abstract alien said:
Now that you bring it up, it does make sense. I remember that quote, but it never occurred to me. God find swerve.

Yeah, I think they have been frustrated with their inability to get people to use the Wii as an everyday device, and that their new machine will move more forcefully in that direction. I wouldn't be surprised (IF any of the rumors are true), if the controller screen sits in a cradle, always showing your the equivalent of the weather/news/nintendo channels - so they can keep talking to your living room in 'connect24' standby mode.

They've done a truck-load of research and investment into online services, especially in Japan where they even make TV shows for their TV channel, and they only recently launched their online shopping network...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Andrex said:
I did it first. :/

I know, but his looks 'viable', polished etc, less protrusion of the screen and all that. I think a lot of people had an image like his in their mind's eye, but it's nice to see it realised. Functionally yours is the same though, sure :)

Coen said:
Hm, on second thought, maybe you're on to something. If whatever's streaming the data to your tablet controller also has HDMI output and an option to pick TV output over controller output, I agree that it's plausible.
Actually, if console IS in the screen, you don't have to care about output ports.

For multitouch gaming you need nothing more than the console, because it's all in one piece. For normal gaming you only need a normal controller..

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
gofreak said:
I know, but his looks 'viable', polished etc, less protrusion of the screen and all that. I think a lot of people had an image like his in their mind's eye, but it's nice to see it realised. Functionally yours is the same though, sure :)

Well yeah, I did mine in Paint.

Andrex said:
Watch your mouth, fool, or it's tummy punches for you >:[

I find it strange everyone seems to be going back to the GCN controller as reference and not the Pro (though it seems most have the Classic's buttons and sticks

Interfectum

these controller mockups are awesome but seem to go against literally everything the Wii was. fuck even I'm intimidated by the complexity of a controller like that.

i can't wait for E3 to see how this shakes out.

MYE said:

http://oi52.tinypic.com/dzxf9y.jpg[IMG]

updates:

- Added Two thumbsticks. C-stick is out
- Bigger screen[/QUOTE]

On your next version, consider squaring the corners of the screens. I know it's not as sleek, but it's more realistic.

swerve said:
Yeah, I think they have been frustrated with their inability to get people to use the Wii as an everyday device, and that their new machine will move more forcefully in that direction. I wouldn't be surprised (IF any of the rumors are true), if the controller screen sits in a cradle, always showing your the equivalent of the weather/news/nintendo channels - so they can keep talking to your living room in 'connect24' standby mode.

They've done a truck-load of research and investment into online services, especially in Japan where they even make TV shows for their TV channel, and they only recently launched their online shopping network...
Connect 24 has the biggest potential of any of the online services, but it also is the least lackluster when put to practice. If they make a serious step this time, the base of how Connect 24 works would be outstanding, especially with a tablet it could feed information...even while the system is off. Receiving friend messages could now go beyond just a notification light while the system is powered down, but could be answered remotely via the screen/tablet as well. Maybe set up download schedules for when you power your system back on...hell, maybe power your system on when you aren't even home some sort of way? And that's not even dealing with the possible gameplay innovations(that we never got the first time around).

Shit, connect 24 could be a real step forward if they handle it correctly...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So, just getting back to timing/launch, I think the big assumption we were all making was that late 2012 was the absolute earliest Nintendo would have enough time to launch with strong internal games, given the 3DS lineup.

I now think that assumption is possibly flawed, both because from what we're learning about the 3DS software it appears much of it is outsourced, and because if this system is really in the hands of developers, it seems very likely that a Spring 2012 launch could have many many current gen ports ready for launch, taking a bit of pressure off of Nintendo. Obviously the ideal is for Nintendo to have strong first party software and unique, exclusive third party conent ready - but if they are hellbent on launching ASAP (especially in Japan), then quality ports of current gen games could at the very least provide a lot of volume early on while Nintendo and third parties catch up. I think something like a new Pikmin combined with quality 3rd party ports could at least be a plausible launch.

gofreak said:
Not remotely that.

There's probably no internals to the thing, from a processing POV. They can make it very light.

There will be physical buttons though.

They can put a large-area battery in these things. With nothing to power except the screen, look at tablet battery life and extrapolate from there. You'd be looking at double-digit battery life...it'd be more than enough to be viable. And they'll probably have a 'cradle' like 3DS for handy charging when you're not playing.
How much would a large battery weight?

A ps3 controller weight 140g, a DSlite 220g... I think a controller like that should be at least 400g.
Intimidating for everyone. I actually think these rumours are heavily misleading or complete bullshit.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
First Children said:

A ps3 controller weight 140g, a DSlite 220g... I think a controller like that should be at least 400g.
Intimidating for everyone. I actually think these rumours are heavily misleading or complete bullshit.

Well as another point of reference, the slim PSP weighs 189g...and IIRC, according to one or two hands-on reports, the NGP prototypes currently 'feel' like they weigh even less than that.

A screen on its own ought to be a light addition, even with the commensurate battery.

First Children said:

There's no reason it needs to be any bigger than an open DSlite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom