• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

AceBandage said:
Eh, don't really buy that either...
Again, we'll see.
Extremely unlikely because AMD is not gonna act like a bitch to a partner who will order 10s of millions of chips.

People like to live in fairy tale land where AMD can boss around Corporations who want to give amd lots of money.

wsippel said:
POWER6 and POWER7 are clocked at up to 5 and 4.25GHz, respectively. Not to mention POWER7 is out-of-order - I'm sure Nintendo would like that.

On top of that newer cpu technology runs a hell of alot better than the shit the 360 had. Im rocking a 2500K Quad core right now at 4.9Ghz overclocked from 3.3 on air cooling with a basic heatsink/fan

Woffls

Pyrokai said:
Even the newest IGN one? I really don't know anything about this stuff, but they said "revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture". What does that mean?
From what little I know about R700 architecture, it would be difficult for the GPU not to outperform Xenos and RSX by a considerable margin. They would likely take a mid-range GPU and modify it a bit, and revamped implies improvement rather than underclocking.

The CPU bit could mean anything really. All they're doing is stating that they think it's a similar architecture to 360, so that it's familiar to developers. I don't think their intent was to give any indication of performance beyond that. Again, beating Xbox 360 in terms of processing power shouldn't be much of a challenge for Nintendo in 2011.

At the moment, I'm inclined to believe that it will be "significantly" more powerful than the current competition, but talking about specs is boring.

The name is interesting, and is exactly the kind of thing I thought they'd come up with. Something vague enough that it could imply practically anything, but makes complete sense when you know Nintendo's intentions behind the console. My first thought was actually a stream of water, which could mean a bunch of things.

Instro said:
I dunno that doesnt sound right. AMD stipulating what tech one of their biggest customers can and cant use seems a bit odd. Either theres a legit reason for using the r700 series over something from the 5xxx line( I cant think of any but maybe someone with better tech knowledge can), or these rumors are either wrong or based off old dev kits.

I'm gonna go with this.
Dev kits get upgraded all the time.
They might have given out early kits to select devs but the actual console has slightly different guts.

Woffls

AceBandage said:
Stream is definitely something I'd expect an early 90s product to be named...
Which is perfect.
Hopefully it will look like an early 90's product as well :D Well, not too much, but enough that I know it's a gaming machine and not some external hard drive that looks good on a bookshelf. I've already cleared a space for this thing. How sad.

More than anything, I want a front loading disc tray and a cool power button button that just screams "Yup, I'm a gaming machine. Deal with it." Sunglasses optional.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So how do you think these rumors are leaking out?

I've been imagining like, a Nintendo spokesperson is going to devs and doing a Powerpoint presentation on the platform. That's the only way we could be getting details this specific.

Andrex said:

I've been imagining like, a Nintendo spokesperson is going to devs and doing a Powerpoint presentation on the platform. That's the only way we could be getting details this specific.

Easy... They gave Ubisoft dev kits ages ago, and Ubisoft sucks at keeping secrets.

McHuj

Andrex said:

more and more people are involved trying to finish demos for e3. so there are more potential leakers.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Andrex said:

Nintendo is doing it themselves. Perfect timing--bad Wii sales, disappointing 3DS sales, and E3 coming up.

Andrex said:

I guess there is some sort of internal presentation to give third parties the bare facts of the device what how to work it. but Nintendo guards the presentation rooms with ninjas

Instro said:
I dunno that doesnt sound right. AMD stipulating what tech one of their biggest customers can and cant use seems a bit odd. Either theres a legit reason for using the r700 series over something from the 5xxx line( I cant think of any but maybe someone with better tech knowledge can), or these rumors are either wrong or based off old dev kits.

If they are using something really awesome from the 5xxx line, then it makes sense to have a 4870x2 for a bit more flexibility until their custom 5xxx chip is done.

JaseMath

Plinko said:
Nintendo is doing it themselves. Perfect timing--bad Wii sales, disappointing 3DS sales, and E3 coming up.
This. When was the last time any of us were this involved with the Wii brand? By controlling the leaks themselves, Nintendo can maintain interest in the brand leading into E3. They'll leave little bread crumbs for us the entire time and we'll never figure it out because of the rumor mill.

Xun

Plinko said:
Wouldn't surprise me.

Whether or not you believe it, it seems like Apple do the same thing.

It's a good way to build hype.

McHuj

Instro said:

My guess is that the 5xxx line added features to their architecture that Nintendo doesn't see as necessary. For example, the 5xxx series has much better support for OpenCL applications. That stuff adds transistor count (thus cost). There are probably other things as well.

Nintendo may be just looking at it from the point of view of what gives them the most gaming bang for the least (in terms of chip size/transistor count). That's why I think a 4xxx series maybe good enough for them.

Woffls

Andrex said:

My very first guess was that, because devs have had kits for "months", it was leaking that way. It's likely that a bunch of journos were sitting on bits of information here and there that was all hush hush and not very accurate. Then one day Game Informer ran a story and everyone else started talking about what they knew already.

I think the information has been too vague for a controlled leak, and that doesn't, to me, sound like something Nintendo would do in 2011.

McHuj said:
My guess is that the 5xxx line added features to their architecture that Nintendo doesn't see as necessary. For example, the 5xxx series has much better support for OpenCL applications. That stuff adds transistor count (thus cost). There are probably other things as well.

Nintendo may be just looking at it from the point of view of what gives them the most gaming bang for the least (in terms of chip size/transistor count). That's why I think a 4xxx series maybe good enough for them.

Except that it really wouldn't cost more, and it would use less wattage, which is another big thing for Nintendo.

Retro

thefro said:
I like that idea a lot, but it'd have to have a mechanism to lock into place so that when you touch the screen it doesn't move.

IpbqY.jpg

(Reposting mockup from previous page so people know what we're talking about)

Right, but I don't foresee anyone JABBING the screen, so... in theory, if the rear screen's locking mechanism is just a little more tenacious than, say, the regular DS screen, you could tap it and it wouldn't go flying.

Maybe another option is having the screen lock in either up or down, and there's a little tab you have to press for the hinge to swivel free.

Either way, this mockup sucks because you can see the hinge, whereas I imagined it as being tucked BETWEEN the shoulder bumpers and ahead of the Triggers, whereas my terrible 5 minute mockup puts it way at the rear.

I would imagine the screen would fit very much INSIDE the body of the controller, though I have no idea where the battery pack would go in that case. Maybe Nintendo will have the hardware for headset/microphone on one grip and a cylindrical battery pack will slide up into the other (weight would be an issue so you'd have to balance the opposite side against the weight of a battery.

Basically, when you're playing with the screen down, you'd have a touchpad on the back... so there's kind of multiple functions. I like that idea, even if the NGP gets credit for announcing it 'first'.

Andrex said:

Nintendo usually doesn't get details or devkits to western devs, especially French developers I'll leave unnamed, this early. Scuttlebutt gets around faster when everyone's speaking english and talking during, say, GDC.

AceBandage said:
Except that it really wouldn't cost more, and it would use less wattage, which is another big thing for Nintendo.

would an older architecture with some modern customizations cost as much as a more recent architecture with said customizations built in?

From The Dust said:
would an older architecture with some modern customizations cost as much as a more recent architecture with said customizations built in?

Hard to say, but the 5xxx is in higher production than the older 4xxx models. Which would also decrease costs.

MYE

I completely fail to see what a modernized, disc-based version of a SNES would look like.

edit: I thought i was posting in the other thread
ugh

Hobbun

I don't see anything mentioned in the OP (unless I missed it) about being able to somehow transfer over or redownload (for free) your VC/WiiWare games.

Although if the system is only BC for Wii games and not for GC, it may not matter anyways. At least for me, as I would want access to my GC games and may need to keep my Wii up and going.

Retro said:
http://i.imgur.com/IpbqY.jpg[IMG]

Right, but I don't foresee anyone JABBING the screen, so... in theory, if the rear screen's locking mechanism is just a little more tenacious than, say, the regular DS screen, you could tap it and it wouldn't go flying.

Maybe another option is having the screen lock in either up or down, and there's a little tab you have to press for the hinge to swivel free.[/QUOTE]

now you have to keep people from cracking the screen. good luck homie

wsippel

Banned
From The Dust said:
We don't know what kind of customization was done. It's possible that whatever they did took years to complete and was different from what AMD wanted for PC GPUs, in which case the outcome is perfectly understandable. They didn't go to AMD yesterday and ordered a bunch of GPUs, they possibly approached AMD a few years ago to customize a GPU, and AMD used the most cutting edge tech they had back then.

Retro

From The Dust said:
now you have to keep people from cracking the screen. good luck homie

Eh, I said it was an idea, not an awesome idea. Just a thought I had I felt like sharing, not like anything else is going on in this thread but the same discussions from two days ago.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hobbun said:
I don't see anything mentioned in the OP (unless I missed it) about being able to somehow transfer over or redownload (for free) your VC/WiiWare games.

Although if the system is only BC for Wii games and not for GC, it may not matter anyways. At least for me, as I would want access to my GC games and may need to keep my Wii up and going.

It's not important right now. You can transfer DSiWare to 3DS, it's a non-issue.

Now back to those specs...

It would be nice to have Tessellation on Wii Stream Golden Shower HD. Tessellation removes the polygon look and allows displacement mapping.

Hobbun said:
...why did you expect specific details about account transfer in a thread about vague rumors concerning the next hardware cycle?

Retro said:
Eh, I said it was an idea, not an awesome idea. Just a thought I had I felt like sharing, not like anything else is going on in this thread but the same discussions from two days ago.

how about a slide design. it would protect the scree while adding less bulk

Pyrokai

Woffls said:
From what little I know about R700 architecture, it would be difficult for the GPU not to outperform Xenos and RSX by a considerable margin. They would likely take a mid-range GPU and modify it a bit, and revamped implies improvement rather than underclocking.

The CPU bit could mean anything really. All they're doing is stating that they think it's a similar architecture to 360, so that it's familiar to developers. I don't think their intent was to give any indication of performance beyond that. Again, beating Xbox 360 in terms of processing power shouldn't be much of a challenge for Nintendo in 2011.

At the moment, I'm inclined to believe that it will be "significantly" more powerful than the current competition, but talking about specs is boring.

The name is interesting, and is exactly the kind of thing I thought they'd come up with. Something vague enough that it could imply practically anything, but makes complete sense when you know Nintendo's intentions behind the console. My first thought was actually a stream of water, which could mean a bunch of things.

Yes, it may be boring, but I really want to know if they're improving themselves enough to stay competitive against PS4720 :p

A.KU.MU said:

I still think the images is fake. Is that not the consensus anymore?

donny2112

Door2Dawn said:
Wait, THIS year?

If it's just launched in Japan this year, then that's fine, if it has the games at launch. Next year for rest of world would be fine. Maybe even wait for June-Sep 2012 to launch.

Hobbun

ShockingAlberto said:
...why did you expect specific details about account transfer in a thread about vague rumors concerning the next hardware cycle?

I didn't say it in the sense that I was criticizing or complaining that it should have been in the OP. It's just BC is an important aspect to me and was another topic to bring to the table. That's all.

wsippel

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
It would be nice to have Tessellation on Wii Stream Golden Shower HD. Tessellation removes the polygon look and allows displacement mapping.
R700 does tessellation. It might be considered a D3D12 feature, but that doesn't mean it's exclusive to D3D12 compliant GPUs. ;)

wsippel said:
R700 does tessellation. It might be considered a D3D12 feature, but that doesn't mean it's exclusive to D3D12 compliant GPUs. ;)

Oh yeah, I heard about it, but we've never seen it in action. Are there any hacks out there that makes use of the R700's tessellation abilities?

Ok, if in the ends screen on the controller is going to be real... Nintendo completely changed their philosophy (not considering other peripherals) and want to hit HARD on Sony and Microsoft marketshare.

Retro said:
IpbqY.jpg

Basically, when you're playing with the screen down, you'd have a touchpad on the back... so there's kind of multiple functions. I like that idea, even if the NGP gets credit for announcing it 'first'.
Retro of the mock ups that put the screen on the controller yours is the most creative one. Sadly the only way to know if its viable is to hold it in the hand. My biggest worry its the ergonomics.

When the screen is used as a trackpad the finger that touches would be able to cover a small area (6'' is too big). Its not multi touch so only one finger at a time.

The other issue is accidental touches of the touch screen when it functions as a trackpad but its workable. It could be useful to use the middle fingers as camera controls for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom