• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

donny2112

If it's a 2011 launch, Nintendo'd have to be counting on third-parties to fill out almost all of the launch.

Zelda HD (can't imagine a 6" screen being on the normal controller. Maybe that part's like a supplemental console controller. Touch control system for the console instead of using the pointer to make selections. That would make Motion+ still the primary controller for game. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but a honking controller with a 6" diagonal screen in the middle as the main controller doesn't make a lot of sense, either. :lol )

+

Third-party multi-platform ports

i.e. A thrown-together launch. :/

dvolovets

First Children said:
Ok, if in the ends screen on the controller is going to be real... Nintendo completely changed their philosophy (not considering other peripherals) and want to hit HARD on Sony and Microsoft marketshare.
Good for them. As a gamer, I couldn't care less about philosophies and marketing approaches as long as I get a return to form for Nintendo. The Wii library was excellent as far as first party titles, but I'm not sure it's quite as good as SNES/N64/GCN. Nintendo's decidedly more 'hardcore' approach to the 3DS, for lack of a better term, is indicative of the direction they seem to be headed with the Cafe.

I cannot wait to see Nintendo's franchises with PS3+ graphics in HD at 60 FPS.

A.KU.MU

Banned
Majine said:
That big-ass Nintendo logo makes me think it's fake.

Look at the SNES logo.

OVfyP.jpg

On a business strategy level, I would say that launching in 2011 holiday for the U.S. and other markets is absolutely what they should and must do with such a device. However, most of the rumors coming out make very little sense from Nntendo's perspective.

Miyamoto himself has said and argued with Iwata that a videogame console should be free. Why would they return to a higher price point? Why would they abandon what has made their business lucrative, at least abandon it fully?

Too many of the IGN rumors cross with past Nintendo strategies, and too many of the rumors in general.

The name Stream does make a lot of sense though.

zeioIIDX

Damn, just give me a next gen SNES with a normal fucking controller and great games. I already have a Wii so forget the motion control stuff and I already have portables so why the hell do I need to stream games to the controller of a console?! I mean 6 inches is just too big to be used for just a HUD but I can't imagine what they would possibly be streaming to the individual controllers of a home console when most people have a nice big HDTV in front of them. I'm not trying to mess with styluses, flip-screens, switches, and detachable components...And I don't know how many people would want Four Swords-esque games/situations forced upon them.

I'm actually not pissed or anything, I love Nintendo :) Just bewildered is all. And I don't want to see Nintendo become Sega if this system fails for whatever reason :/

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
donny2112 said:
If it's a 2011 launch, Nintendo'd have to be counting on third-parties to fill out almost all of the launch.

Zelda HD (can't imagine a 6" screen being on the normal controller. Maybe that part's like a supplemental console controller. Touch control system for the console instead of using the pointer to make selections. That would make Motion+ still the primary controller for game. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but a honking controller with a 6" diagonal screen in the middle as the main controller doesn't make a lot of sense, either. :lol )

+

Third-party multi-platform ports

i.e. A thrown-together launch. :/

Yeah..with maybe a surprise like Pikmin.

I still think Spring 2012 for Japan and Q2-Q3 2012 for the rest of the world.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
A.KU.MU said:
Look at the SNES logo.

OVfyP.jpg
I think his point is that none of their recent hardware have had the old logo displayed so prominently on them. Well, at least not on any immediately visible side.

Woffls

D-Pad said:
I'm hoping for a return to cartridges or another flash card-like format.
I'd like this as well, though the speed of current BD drives, disc capacity, and the cost at which the discs can be made means that they will probably use it. They could use a proprietary format, but I really don't see much point.

What I really want is a console/computer with no moving parts at all. Dream on. :(

D-Pad

Zeal said:
a return to cartridges?

sometimes i don't understand how people think.

By cartridges I meant ala DS and NGP. Guess I should have just stuck to flash-card instead, but I'm not good with the technical terms.
KuGsj.gif
Basically, I want to go back to the times of zero-to-minimal load-times.

D-Pad said:
By cartridges I meant ala DS and NGP. Guess I should have just stuck to flash-card instead, but I'm not good with the technical terms.
KuGsj.gif
Basically, I want to go back to the times of zero-to-minimal load-times.

unfortunetly, flash carts aren't immune to long load times. see some of the third party 3DS games

Instro said:
I dunno that doesnt sound right. AMD stipulating what tech one of their biggest customers can and cant use seems a bit odd. Either theres a legit reason for using the r700 series over something from the 5xxx line( I cant think of any but maybe someone with better tech knowledge can), or these rumors are either wrong or based off old dev kits.
It is definitely possibly that some of these specs has changed from different revisions of dev kits. I don't really see this new system really being as big as the original 360..

As for IGN's 3DS specs, don't think we still have much confirmed info about the CPU and GPU speed. We know they that the RAM count was off, but that was likely a dev kit spec too.

Flashcarts are much more expensive than disc based formats. Why would Nintendo go that direction over some kind of Blu-Ray variant? Publishers certainly wouldn't be happy paying for expensive flash media.

antonz

Anything less than Blu Ray or their own version of Blu Ray is a massive fuck up unless they somehow surprise us all with their Holographic Storage Discs.

Wait, I just noticed the IGN article mentions manufacturing.

Why in God's name would someone already be talking about manufacturing?

And the lack of earthquake related problems?

So either the Wii 2 is way further along than we've been led to believe, or this is complete bs.

Deku

Banned
Basileus777 said:
Flashcarts are much more expensive than disc based formats. Why would Nintendo go that direction over some kind of Blu-Ray variant?

source?

I'm not seeing a cart based media as well. It's great for portables because you don't need a drive and it makes the whole thing less power hungry and much more durable.

But the kind of tech Nintendo has been using for the cards have not been said to be expensive in terms of mfg. costs.

GregLombardi said:

So either the Wii 2 is way further along than we've been led to believe, or this is complete bs.
The days of needing rwo years or so are gone. I think its odd to show us now and not have it ready within 12 months nowadays.

wsippel

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
Cool, thanks. But what's the performance on that though? It's youtube so I'm not sure what's the frame rate on this thing.
22fps on a HD4870 (I stand corrected), but the demo also features global illumination, GPU based artificial intelligence for 65,000 agents (every single froblin is AI controlled and the AI is calculated on the GPU), and renders close to ten million polygons per frame, all with 4x MSAA. The demo is also available for download, but it requires a RV770 based graphics card.

antonz said:
Anything less than Blu Ray or their own version of Blu Ray is a massive fuck up unless they somehow surprise us all with their Holographic Storage Discs.
I'd assume they'll have their own disc format.

I'd love if they had "cards" that looked like TG-16 games.

GregLombardi said:

You have to consider the fact that Nintendo immediately after launch of a console, are already looking ahead to the future. Plus they have pretty much stuck to the 5 year plan since the NES and the Wii is not a console that can survive in this HD market for Nintendo. Let's not forget that a lot of Nintendo hardware as well as accessories produce outside of Japan.

Pie Lord

neptunes said:
If Sony says the capacity of their NGP carts will eventually rise (above 4GB) then 8GB-16GB flash carts could actually become a possibility.
Storage space isn't the issue, the problem is how much cartridges cost compared to discs.

From The Dust said:
Taiwan wasn't hit hard by the earthquake. nothing is broked over there
I guess what I'm saying is that that detail is alarmingly out of place.

Its like someone either knows an incredibly miniscule detail surrounding this system, or they're going out of their way to funnel fake information.

I honestly think this could be totally BS (the IGN article).

Amir0x said:
lol @ the idea of 1080p/60fps Battlefield 3 on a system not much more powerful than PS360

360 is based on a ati x1800, on a PC you could barely play games with HDR textures like HL2 Episode 2 , and lowering graphic settings. Once I tried to install bioshock on a system on par with the 360 hardware and it was a slideshow.

This new console is based on the HD4000 series. On the PC field this chip is still kicking hard. This is really a next generation card comparing the outdated R520 chip.

It IS much more powerful.

GregLombardi said:

Its like someone either knows an incredibly miniscule detail surrounding this system, or they're going out of their way to funnel fake information.

the only detail about that that's outta place is the fact Nintendo is ready to manufacture consoles. the location and company isn't new as they used Foxxconn before. Foxxconn is the village bicycle of electronics manufacturing

Beth Cyra

GregLombardi said:

Wait are you suggesting that Project Cafe isn't almost completely finished by this point?

As it stands, if this is shipping like Next year which is most likely that thing has been completeled for a while on paper and the prototypes easily in Nintendo's hands. At this point it should be entering final stages/manufactoring in the next few months.

Out of all the parts that could be fake this seems like the least likely one to me.

Vinci

Danish
Bidermaier said:
360 is based on a ati x1800, on a PC you could barely play games with HDR textures like HL2 Episode 2 , and lowering graphic settings. Once I tried to install bioshock on a system on par with the 360 hardware and it was a slideshow.

This new console is based on the HD4000 series. On the PC field this chip is still kicking hard. This is really a next generation card comparing the outdated R520 chip.

It IS much more powerful.

Eh. Who cares? I'll just be like one of the picky cool kids and wait till the PS4 and 720 come out.

M3d10n said:
Ah, nothing like IGN bullshit. The 360 CPUs are clocked at 3.2GHz already. These IBM chips would need watercooling to go significantly higher than that.

It's more likely for it to be clocked slower (2.0~2.5GHz) to use less cooling. Also, it wouldn't be the same as the 360 CPU: Nintendo likes their CPUs easy to code for, and will surely go for cores which good branching capabilities. The 360 and the PS3 CPUs are gimped in that they are terrible at general purpose code and games *must* use stream-oriented programming to get acceptable performance (imaging a x86 CPU that runs absurdly slow for everything task that isn't coded in SSE).

But, wouldn't a process change allow IBM core clock speed some leg room. Surely IBM have made some advancements that should get them to 3.4-5ghz without needing watercooling.

wsippel

Banned
OG_Original Gamer said:
But, wouldn't a process change allow IBM core clock speed some leg room. Surely IBM have made some advancements that should get them to 3.4-5ghz without needing watercooling.
As I already wrote, IBM had complex in-order CPUs running at 5GHz, air cooled, years ago. Their current top of the line server CPU, using an even more complex out-of-order design, run at up to 4,25GHz air cooled using four of it's eight cores (TurboCore mode), or 4GHz using all eight cores (MaxCore mode). Even the blade version with extremely limited cooling achieves 3GHz.

wsippel said:
22fps on a HD4870 (I stand corrected), but the demo also features global illumination, GPU based artificial intelligence for 65,000 agents (every single froblin is AI controlled and the AI is calculated on the GPU), and renders close to ten million polygons per frame, all with 4x MSAA. The demo is also available for download, but it requires a RV770 based graphics card.

One of the reasons I'm worried about tessellation performance is because they really kill the 5870 when it was launched, but I'm sure the tech has matured a bit since then and maybe better optimized.

Beth Cyra

AniHawk said:
so has that other thread reached 500 posts just off of a days-old mockup thing?
The main discussion is the IGN article.

A few people are hung up on the pictures, but most are debating if the IGN posting and then the Editiors follow up statements have any chace of being real.

Krowley

Machado said:
nintendo with more power than a ps3? that's and insta shut-up-and-take-my-money buy.

but a few questions arise from my deep, caring and insolent brain:

1.- even is flashcarts or cartridges are more expensive why shouldn't they use them? wouldn't that make it a more reliable machine?

2.- can this controller be somewhat compatible with 3ds games?

1. It's supposed to be backwards compatible with wii and presumably even gamecube, so it will need a compact disc drive of some kind anyway. Making a flash cart based drive would probably add an unnecessary expense.

2. No rumors reflect that.

1. A BD costs pennies to press. A Card costs dollars. When you're making thousands to millions it makes a HUGE difference.

2. No, but the 3DS will likely be usable with the Cafe.

ksamedi

So, this controller basically competes with the NGP doesn't it. Camera, dual analog, touch screen, comparable screen size, next gen graphics and stuff.

ksamedi said:
So, this controller basically competes with the NGP doesn't it. Camera, dual analog, touch screen, comparable screen size, next gen graphics and stuff.

One you can play outside your home, the other you can't. Different markets man.

ksamedi

Gamer @ Heart said:

I understand that but as someone who rarely plays handhelds outside (except when on vacation) they will definitely compete for my game time.

Krowley

Gamer @ Heart said:

Actually, I think the markets do overlap a little bit because a lot of people do handheld games mostly at home.

Obviously it's not exactly the same thing but it does look like they're trying to bring many of the advantages of their handheld systems into the console world. For example, Two screens (the tv and the screen on the controller). Touch screen functionality, play all over your house.. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom