• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReyVGM

I have no reason to distrust IGN on this. No popular site like this one would constantly make up rumors like these just for hits. Unless they're on a suicide mission.

What does bother me about IGN is the stupid "learn how to disable this ad" nonsense. They're still trying to get people to pay a subscription fee to get "exclusive" content and disable the ads? Do they think it's still 2001 when there weren't any blog sites?

CoffeeJanitor said:
IGN is not credible, at all, especially considering their few Nintendo journalists (who were good back in the day) are now all gone (outside of Craig).
That stupid reasoning. The old Nintendo editors being gone doesn't mean that there sources for anything Nintendo are all gone.

Pyrokai said:
I think people are overreacting with IGN. Their Nintendo channel specifically has never been bad. I'm definitely inclined to believe this simply because they AREN'T that starved for hits.
It has been for a while if you've followed IGN at all.

1-D_FTW

The_Darkest_Red said:
Like we were saying half jokingly in this thread 100 pages back or so, what if Nintendo showed off Battlefield 3 on the console at E3 and launched the system during the fall/winter? The definitive console version of BF3, only on the Nintendo Stream. ;)

I wasn't half joking when I said it. If Nintendo wants to really court the hardcore gamers/developers that have abandoned them, this always made the most sense.

Fuck 2012 and fuck their first party titles. Release Zelda: SS that's rendered at 1080P @ 60fps as the big Nintendo holiday title. And let the rest of the lineup be the definitive versions of BF 3, etc. BF 3 at 1080P/60fps would be more compelling to the core gamers than anything Nintendo could release anyways. Not launching 2011 is wasting a golden opportunity.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
1-D_FTW said:
I wasn't half joking when I said it. If Nintendo wants to really court the hardcore gamers/developers that have abandoned them, this always made the most sense.

Fuck 2012 and fuck their first party titles. Release Zelda: SS that's rendered at 1080P @ 60fps as the big Nintendo holiday title. And let the rest of the lineup be the definitive versions of BF 3, etc. BF 3 at 1080P/60fps would be more compelling to the core gamers than anything Nintendo could release anyways. Not launching 2011 is wasting a golden opportunity.

Agree 100%.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
1-D_FTW said:

BF 3? They should do something actually worthwhile like CoD6.

Beth Cyra

Not saying that I think the IGN guy is right on everything. As I have said before, until it is fully revealed I will think it's no more powerful then Xbox 360 so I won't get to hyped.

That said, I fully think the man is being told this by someone that is or was in the know of the Platform.

Things could have changed or small details as well.

As far as the power thing goes, it really could be a matter of one persons opinion. We heard plenty of people who are happy with the power of 3DS, saying how much of a step up it was, the added use of shaders.

Then you look online and you see people crying saying it's barely stronger then PSP, it looks the same or worse, and it has no right to be 250$.

Either way, I'm not going to say IGN or the man is flat out trolling. As far as I remember despite alot of people thinking IGN is shit, they still get a very good amount of traffic and I see no reason fot this man to go so far out of his way to lie to his reader ship like some people are suggesting.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I see no reason why there can't be a tablet, a "nunchuck" (with an analog/four buttons), and a "wiimote" (with an analog/four buttons) that all connect together to make a gamer pad with a touch screen in the middle. If both the separate controllers had an (almost) identical design to the nunchuck with wiimotion+ included in both.... I could easily seeing such a thing happening.

they would connect together like:

Nunchuck-tablet-Nunchuck

We could easily get a Skyward Sword HD, all previous Wii games being compatible, and a stronger motion-control system like Edge said.

We have any mock-ups like that?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I really don't think it will connect together at all. The Wii remote will become the new classic controller, and the new controller will be standard.

3DS is up against the DS. As it fades the 3DS will gain mind-share. During this process Nintendo and others are still cashing in.

Wii is more of an island and can be abandoned. Grab what you can and set off to the future.
If the controller included has the function, if not the look of the standard pads today, like we have been led to believe they could release it at e3. Portsapalooza.

2011 doesn't seem likely but If Nintendo can pull together the new interface stuff with robust online abilities that could help keep the system dynamic early on with Nintendo software coming in 2012.

robor

1-D_FTW said:

Sir, you can have my money!

Doorman

Ahh I just got back from work and it sounds like things are blowing up again. What happened? IGN now claiming a possible 2011 release and a market name of "Nintendo Stream" is what I've gathered.

Which, I kind of hope isn't the case, at least as the name goes. It already refers to too many other things for me.

Amir0x

Banned
Cow Mengede said:
Didn't an N64 game come with the 4MB ram pack even though the thing is sold for 30 bucks as a stand alone?

I can assure you an entire wiimote controller+motion plus costs more to produce than the 4MB of RAM ever did :p

Andrex said:
I really don't think it will connect together at all. The Wii remote will become the new classic controller, and the new controller will be standard.

I just can't believe Nintendo would do this. It would literally mean abandoning the wiimote standard they created, particularly the one good thing with the pointer. As much as people would love to debate this, everybody knows 99% of developers would essentially pretend it doesn't exist.

I have to believe Nintendo was truthful when they thought this motion paradigm meant something, even if it didn't mean much to me. I just want them to maintain pointer functionality since light gun games resurgence was one of THE best things of the entire generation.

1-D_FTW said:
And let the rest of the lineup be the definitive versions of BF 3, etc. BF 3 at 1080P/60fps would be more compelling to the core gamers than anything Nintendo could release anyways. Not launching 2011 is wasting a golden opportunity.

lol @ the idea of 1080p/60fps Battlefield 3 on a system not much more powerful than PS360.

Anyway, I don't think Skyward Sword is possible on Wii HD without a literal complete re-development. The game is too centered around motion plus - every aspect of it depends on this. Unless we're getting some really wrong rumours here, it would not be possible.

1-D_FTW

Andrex said:
BF 3? They should do something actually worthwhile like CoD6.

That's a given. And Skyrim. And whatever other high profile games that are out there. I take the controversial view that BF 3 is going to outsell CoD this year, that's the only reason I singled that title out.

M3d10n

brochiller said:
TONS of new details from IGN:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/116/1163325p1.html

- Retail cost between $350-400
- Manufacturing to begin this Oct.-Nov. with Winter as the earliest release, but likely to wait until 2012 to build up stock
- Based on revamped version of AMD's R700
- custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, clocked higher than that of 360
- potential for stereoscopic 3D
- In terms of the design of the console itself, the overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)
- given the power of the system, could feasibly provide a virtualized console for each individual unit
- "Stream" is being considered as a final name
- Nintendo, of course, declined comment

EDIT: Fuck, beaten again.
Ah, nothing like IGN bullshit. The 360 CPUs are clocked at 3.2GHz already. These IBM chips would need watercooling to go significantly higher than that.

It's more likely for it to be clocked slower (2.0~2.5GHz) to use less cooling. Also, it wouldn't be the same as the 360 CPU: Nintendo likes their CPUs easy to code for, and will surely go for cores which good branching capabilities. The 360 and the PS3 CPUs are gimped in that they are terrible at general purpose code and games *must* use stream-oriented programming to get acceptable performance (imaging a x86 CPU that runs absurdly slow for everything task that isn't coded in SSE).

Big One

Banned
Amir0x said:
Although I like to joke about a "Skyward Sword HD", in this case I think it wouldn't be possible (unless the controller being described is very different, or unless the Wii HD comes with TWO types of controllers - one this traditional type with a screen, and a regular motion controller. I highly doubt that scenario).

Skyward Sword is like the flagship motion plus title, and it requires a remote shaped controller to function normally. It wouldn't work with a regular controller with some SixAxis-esque motion. Hell even the puzzles apparently have more in-depth motion-based functions. Even I know this much. And there's no way Nintendo would flagship a launch game that didn't utilize the main controller that came with the system and forced consumers to buy a controller from an old one.
There's a possibility that Wii controllers are compatible with Wii2, though. It certainly wouldn't be un-Nintendo like in the very least after the Gamecube controller compatibility for the Wii. I also don't believe Nintendo would abandon the actual Wii brand of stuff like Wii Sports and shit, even if the console has a different name. Hell even the 3DS has Wii brand shit on it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Amir0x said:
I just can't believe Nintendo would do this. It would literally mean abandoning the wiimote standard they created, particularly the one good thing with the pointer. As much as people would love to debate this, everybody knows 99% of developers would essentially pretend it doesn't exist.

I have to believe Nintendo was truthful when they thought this motion paradigm meant something, even if it didn't mean much to me. I just want them to maintain pointer functionality since light gun games resurgence was one of THE best things of the entire generation.

That's true. And if there is ever a HotD Overkill sequel I'd want a Nintendo console to get it (or a version of it.)

That said, if they include both in the box, then both would be standardized and dev's would be free to use either.

1-D_FTW said:
That's a given. And Skyrim. And whatever other high profile games that are out there. I take the controversial view that BF 3 is going to outsell CoD this year, that's the only reason I singled that title out.

Oh, erm, uh. OK.

Amir0x

Banned
Big One said:
There's a possibility that Wii controllers are compatible with Wii2, though. It certainly wouldn't be un-Nintendo like in the very least after the Gamecube controller compatibility for the Wii. I also don't believe Nintendo would abandon the actual Wii brand of stuff like Wii Sports and shit, even if the console has a different name. Hell even the 3DS has Wii brand shit on it.

Again, as I said, no way Nintendo would flagship a title that requires a controller that does not come with the system. People are not being realistic here.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Amir0x said:
I can assure you an entire wiimote controller+motion plus costs more to produce than the 4MB of RAM ever did :p

lol @ the idea of 1080p/60fps Battlefield 3 on a system not much more powerful than PS360.

Anyway, I don't think Skyward Sword is possible on Wii HD without a literal complete re-development. The game is too centered around motion plus - every aspect of it depends on this. Unless we're getting some really wrong rumours here, it would not be possible.
The pointer needs to stay for a new PES Play Maker with the HD engine.

NewFresh

Amir0x said:
Again, as I said, no way Nintendo would flagship a title that requires a controller that does not come with the system. People are not being realistic here.
Exactly. They want people to be able to take it home and play it. Why would you sell them the system without the ability to use it.

Big One

Banned
Amir0x said:
I agree, it probably won't be on the system. I'm just saying that I think it'd be pretty unprofitable if Motion controls were abandoned completely as a control method.

1-D_FTW

Amir0x said:

Even if it's Xbox 2.5, it's still going to have significantly better frame-rates/resolution. The point still stands. And it's a console. It's doesn't have the headroom of a PC. If 360/PS3 were a PC, they'd probably crash trying to boot the game. So the fact it's still vastly inferior to a good PC doesn't say what it could/couldn't achieve in a closed environment.

I've already given my opinion on the motion paradigm. Nintendo innovates solely to fill voids in markets. I think that's priority 1, 2, and 3 for it. The hard core market seems a lot more appealing than going after the Kinect market at this point. That's the new tech race. Plus, the Wiimote+ being bundled in still lets them keep motion when it's absolutely necessary.

Amir0x

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Even if it's Xbox 2.5, it's still going to have significantly better frame-rates/resolution. The point still stands. And it's a console. It's doesn't have the headroom of a PC. If 360/PS3 were a PC, they'd probably crash trying to boot the game. So the fact it's still vastly inferior to a good PC doesn't say what it could/couldn't achieve in a closed environment.

It most definitely would not be 1080p @ 60fps. A system which is reportedly not much more powerful than Xbox 360 and PS3 would not be able to do this at any reasonable level. That's an absurd belief that requires you to not understand what that level of technology means. It's simply not possible, unless they downgraded the visuals everywhere else versus the other platforms... which might be nice and all, but it would defeat the purpose you're trying to get at here.

1-D_FTW said:
I've already given my opinion on the motion paradigm. Nintendo innovates solely to fill voids in markets. I think that's priority 1, 2, and 3 for it. The hard core market seems a lot more appealing than going after the Kinect market at this point. That's the new tech race. Plus, the Wiimote+ being bundled in still lets them keep motion when it's absolutely necessary.

The wiimote+ is not bundled in as far as anyone here knows. And it would make no sense to add more expense to a system which is already apparently going to have a VERY expensive controller. Where did you hear this?

Anyway, your assertion here implies such a negative aspect to the way Nintendo works that it's almost believable to me. It's such a cynical way to do business - gameplay and controls don't really matter, only filling voids with distractions and unrefined shit.

Pyrokai said:
I thought this was a hefty bump? People are having different opinions here.

So far most of the rumours indicate not a substantial leap from 360 and PS3. Imagine Wii vs. Gamecube.

M3d10n said:
Ah, nothing like IGN bullshit. The 360 CPUs are clocked at 3.2GHz already. These IBM chips would need watercooling to go significantly further than that.

"Clocked higher" could be laymans terms for it being a better, if seeminly similar CPU. I'm not a techy person at all, but isn't the clockspeed a really old fashioned way of measuring CPU performance, and many other factors are more important?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just curious--say IGN nails this one.

At that point would they be "redeemed" in your eyes?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
For what it is worth, kotaku said a wiimote and nun chuck would be included. But, they didn't know if it was a revamped set or the ones we are using today for the Wii.

Big One

Banned
Plinko said:
Just curious--say IGN nails this one.

At that point would they be "redeemed" in your eyes?
Well IGN is just a shitty site in general. If their information is fake: like someone else said, this would be the biggest blunder in gaming journalism ever. Sites like IGN and Gameinformer are convinced this is legitimate news. It could be, we don't really know the sources they both get this from so it goes either way.

Beth Cyra

Amir0x said:
It most definitely would not be 1080p @ 60fps. A system which is reportedly not much more powerful than Xbox 360 and PS3 would not be able to do this at any reasonable level. That's an absurd belief that requires you to not understand what that level of technology means. It's simply not possible, unless they downgraded the visuals everywhere else versus the other platforms... which might be nice and all, but it would defeat the purpose you're trying to get at here.

So far most of the rumours indicate not a substantial leap from 360 and PS3. Imagine Wii vs. Gamecube.

As it stands I thought only one or two places said it's a Wii like leap over 360 and PS3. Wasn't it only Game Informer and a tech that said it was like that? If so then it's equal people claiming alot stronger compared to a little.

Outside of that I agree that we will not see Zelda HD and I can't belive Nintendo is going to pack in 4 different controllers at least at launch.

[Nintex]

Wasn't IGN pretty much in the right ballpark with their rumored 3DS specs?

In any case these sources usually don't want to be found out so they usually mix up the real info with some fake info to not get in trouble. So the Foxconn part is true, the shipping date is true but for example the name could be complete bullshit so Nintendo doesn't know where the leak came from.

Overall these rumors are probably in the right ballpark give or take a few details.

[Nintex] said:

In any case these sources usually don't want to be found out so they usually mix up the real info with some fake info to not get in trouble. So the Foxconn part is true, the shipping date is true but for example the name could be complete bullshit so Nintendo doesn't know where the leak came from.

Overall these rumors are probably in the right ballpark give or take a few details.

No...
They really weren't even close.
The only thing they might have gotten right was the internal storage.

Van Owen

Banned
[Nintex] said:

They said 3DS was 360/PS3 on a smaller scale. That might have just been Craig though.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Pyrokai said:
I thought this was a hefty bump? People are having different opinions here.
If Nintendo plays it smart, it will be close but visible enough. They'd better give an incentive to gamers who select their console based on best graphics. And they have an image issue, that will force them to give if they want to be noticed by gamers.

Amir0x said:
I guess that's possible, but Zelda: Skyward Sword is no $10 shallow mini-game. The package of that sort would be considerably more than $50 :p

Agree.Its more like a $5 shallow mini-game... complete with a buggerang.

JaseMath

Skiesofwonder said:
For what it is worth, kotaku said a wiimote and nun chuck would be included. But, they didn't know if it was a revamped set or the ones we are using today for the Wii.
New rumors from LOLtaku and IGN are not what this thread needs.

evangd007

TruePrime said:
As it stands I thought only one or two places said it's a Wii like leap over 360 and PS3. Wasn't it only Game Informer and a tech that said it was like that? If so then it's equal people claiming alot stronger compared to a little.

Outside of that I agree that we will not see Zelda HD and I can't belive Nintendo is going to pack in 4 different controllers at least at launch.

We've only ever gotten ambiguous subjective terms like "a notch" and "significantly". The same terms that went around when xbox360 was first being revealed. Remember everyone saying "Xbox 1.5 lol" about the 360?

Mrbob

Supposedly the PC version of BF3 is going to be significantly better than the 360 and PS3 versions of the game. Might be BS hype from DICE but this could be the game which makes the consoles look a bit outdated in the face of raw PC power. Dice has already talked about wanting a new generation of consoles already.

2011 release and a superior console version of BF3 on Super Wii would be a huge get. It would be a bigger deal than any exclusive Nintendo game if the Big N is serious about getting the hardcore market back. However I don't see 1080P/60fps. If the Super Wii version can incorporate all the new tech features of the PC version of BF3 it will give it a huge leg up on the other two console versions. This is all idle speculation though because I don't believe we'll see the system out in 2011.

Pyrokai

Amir0x said:

Even the newest IGN one? I really don't know anything about this stuff, but they said "revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture". What does that mean?

Beth Cyra

evangd007 said:
We've only ever gotten ambiguous subjective terms like "a notch" and "significantly". The same terms that went around when xbox360 was first being revealed. Remember everyone saying "Xbox 1.5 lol" about the 360?

That's fair, as I have said I believe it will be closer to a Xbox 360 then anything else. However I was pointing out that from everything we have seen it's a pretty clear split compared to more things pointing to it being weaker then stronger is all.

Pyrokai said:
Even the newest IGN one? I really don't know anything about this stuff, but they said "revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture". What does that mean?

Completely depends on what model of an R700 they use.
But it would be significantly stronger than the GPU the 360 uses.
I still don't buy it, though. Not when they could get something from the 5xxx series that does the same for less cost and energy consumption.

Vagabundo

AceBandage said:
Completely depends on what model of an R700 they use.
But it would be significantly stronger than the GPU the 360 uses.
I still don't buy it, though. Not when they could get something from the 5xxx series that does the same for less cost and energy consumption.

Beyond3D said:
My guess is Nintendo went to AMD for a GPU design to integrate with the PowerPC design they wanted to use, but AMD wouldn't let them use their current tech unless they bought whole Fusion APUs for the system. Instead they licensed their older R700 series tech to Nintendo to do what they want.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1544243&postcount=5489

Just a guess.

wsippel

Banned
M3d10n said:
Ah, nothing like IGN bullshit. The 360 CPUs are clocked at 3.2GHz already. These IBM chips would need watercooling to go significantly higher than that.

It's more likely for it to be clocked slower (2.0~2.5GHz) to use less cooling. Also, it wouldn't be the same as the 360 CPU: Nintendo likes their CPUs easy to code for, and will surely go for cores which good branching capabilities. The 360 and the PS3 CPUs are gimped in that they are terrible at general purpose code and games *must* use stream-oriented programming to get acceptable performance (imaging a x86 CPU that runs absurdly slow for everything task that isn't coded in SSE).
POWER6 and POWER7 are clocked at up to 5 and 4.25GHz, respectively. Not to mention POWER7 is out-of-order - I'm sure Nintendo would like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom