• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

Retro said:
Just speculating and putting another STOP WITH THE TERRIBLE MOCKUPS in this thread.

What if the controller has a sort of 'backwards clamshell' design, similar to the DS's top screen on a hinge, but facing OUT when 'closed' against the back of the controller?

IpbqY.jpg

I like that idea a lot, but it'd have to have a mechanism to lock into place so that when you touch the screen it doesn't move.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I imagine $349.99 is the goal. Any higher is too expensive for what is rumored and any lower would be eating into the 3DS sales.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The one thing that makes the 2011 release date (slightly) believable is Zelda's launch. I can't think of a better game to convince Nintendo fans and gamers in general, to invest in a new console. It worked with the Wii, and it would work even better here knowing there would be a night and day difference with HD graphics.

If they can get Zelda + Wave Race + a Wario Ware showcasing the controller, and some 3rd party multiplatform games, they could greenlight a 2011 release. Doing so, they would accept to perhaps hurt 3DS sales in the short term, but a dollar for Nintendo is a dollar for Nintendo. The more I think of it, the more I think they should do it. It would impact Kinect - round 2, and NGP's launch. 3DS may not be enough.

Mojojo

put me in the "sounds like bullshit" camp ... These websites are just desperate for hits ..When was the last time IGN had a scoop(that proved true) about anything Nintendo?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shorty said:
Isn't r700 65nm? And wouldn't this mean higher production costs than more up to date chips?

They'll make a design for whatever manufacturing process Nintendo wants to use.

There is no tie to specific R700 GPUs AMD's previously released. It'd be a custom part based on that architecture - the design can be whatever Nintendo wants, presumably within that larger parameter.

[Nintex]

marc^o^ said:
The one thing that makes the 2011 release date (slightly) believable is Zelda's launch. I can't think of a better game to convine Nintendo fans and gamers in general, to invest in a new console. It worked with the Wii, and it would work even better here knowing there would be a night and day difference with HD graphics.

If they can get Zelda + Wave Race + a Wario Ware showcasing the controller, and some 3rd party multiplatform games, they could greenlight a 2011 release. Doing so, they would accept to perhaps hurt 3DS sales in the short term, but a dollar for Nintendo is a dollar for Nintendo. The more I think of it, the more I think they should do it.
I still think a 3D handheld is a totally different ball game than a $349 HD console. The Wii and DS were among Nintendo's most popular systems and during their record heights they were both on the top of their game in terms of releases.

Mojojo said:
put me in the "sounds like bullshit" camp ... These websites are just desperate for hits ..When was the last time IGN had a scoop(that proved true) about anything Nintendo?
It would be beyond stupid for IGN to risk whatever credibility they have on something this big just for a few hits. You don't usually see something that desperate from such a large site.

I think you guys are being overly skeptical about this IGN leak.

Pyrokai

Craig Harris has a blog: http://www.thisiscraig.com/

Not sure what else he's doing. Why did he leave IGN anyway? And Boz? And Cassa? I know Cassa left to make love with Apple, but he seems to be totally out of the spotlight of anything right now. His Twitter account just suddenly died.

The_Darkest_Red said:
It would be beyond stupid for IGN to risk whatever credibility they have on something this big just for a few hits. You don't usually see something that desperate from such a large site.

But dude, IGN has no credibility. They seem to make shit up all the time.

Pretty sure all of them left because IGN is a shell of its former self. There are a lot of reasons that went into this fact but let's just say the site is pretty terrible now.

ReyVGM

Andrex said:
"Definitely"? No.

"Somewhat likely"? Yes, if the rumors are actually true.

It'll probably the same deal as when they announced the 3DS last year. A brief PR blurb mentioning the name or code name, and if we're lucky, confirming the controller screen. That's the absolute maximum I would expect if we get news on Tuesday.

Nintendo's 3DS announcement on March 23, 2010:

http://i.imgur.com/YI9s5.jpg

This is all we'll probably get.

Well, that is official news, which is what I said.

The_Darkest_Red said:

The_Darkest_Red said:

The_Darkest_Red said:
It would be beyond stupid for IGN to risk whatever credibility they have on something this big just for a few hits.

The_Darkest_Red said:
It would be beyond stupid for IGN to risk whatever credibility they have

The_Darkest_Red said:
IGN to risk whatever credibility they have

The_Darkest_Red said:

The_Darkest_Red said:
credibility

0KYIC.gif

[Nintex]

Mojojo said:
I remember that a few days before E3 2010 they broke the news that Retro Studios was working on the return of Donkey Kong Country.

I'm believing them after that blog post the guy put up. It's one thing to throw a bunch of rumors up on the homepage, it's another entirely to make a point of saying, "No, seriously dudes, this is all legit and here's why."

shadyspace said:
I'm believing them after that blog post the guy put up. It's one thing to throw a bunch of rumors up on the homepage, it's another entirely to make a point of saying, "No, seriously dudes, this is all legit and here's why."
I don't know if you're being sarcastic but if nothing else the guy is putting his PERSONAL CREDIBILITY on the line with this. Why risk that for more hits?

Seriously, do you guys really think IGN is that starved for traffic?

Pyrokai

I think people are overreacting with IGN. Their Nintendo channel specifically has never been bad. I'm definitely inclined to believe this simply because they AREN'T that starved for hits.

Ashodin

I actually like the name "Stream" for some reason.

Nintendo Stream.

What's available on the Stream? Zelda Skyward Sword HD!

I think I like it because shortening it to "the Stream" sounds like something related to netflix, DD content, etc. Which would hint in a big way that Nintendo is doing online right.

JaseMath

[Nintex] said:
I remember that a few days before E3 2010 they broke the news that Retro Studios was working on the return of Donkey Kong Country.
Retro Studios working on DKCR is not tantamount to Nintendo's new console...at all. IGN is full of shit and I'd bet this is just another in a long line of ploys to get gamers to a fledgling Nintendo IGN channel.

Amir0x

Banned
At this point this thread has taught me the real reason Nintendo likes to strap some new 'surprise' to every system they make, no matter how much sense it makes.

Because it creates like three months worth of near non-stop speculating on forums across the internet complete with mock-ups and dreams and fantasies and all sorts of mystical speculations. Build-up is enough to drive any man nuts.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I don't know if you're being sarcastic but if nothing else the guy is putting his PERSONAL CREDIBILITY on the line with this. Why risk that for more hits?

Seriously, do you guys really think IGN is that starved for traffic?

Not at all. The extra clarification gives credence to their credibility.

[Nintex] said:
In absolute fairness, there is a gulf of investigative journalism between "We got all this NDA'd information that no one else has" and "We were at Retro and they had bananas with the Donkey Kong Country logo on them on their desks."

Vagabundo

Obviously it would be 2011 in Japan. The rest of us peasants would have to wait until early 2012.

Looks like my source* was right. They are aiming for 2011.

EDIT *lol it all sounds so clandestine, when it is just a guy who knows a guy.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
When did Craig Harris leave? What's he doing now?

Amir0x

Banned
marc^o^ said:
The one thing that makes the 2011 release date (slightly) believable is Zelda's launch. I can't think of a better game to convince Nintendo fans and gamers in general, to invest in a new console. It worked with the Wii, and it would work even better here knowing there would be a night and day difference with HD graphics.

If they can get Zelda + Wave Race + a Wario Ware showcasing the controller, and some 3rd party multiplatform games, they could greenlight a 2011 release. Doing so, they would accept to perhaps hurt 3DS sales in the short term, but a dollar for Nintendo is a dollar for Nintendo. The more I think of it, the more I think they should do it. It would impact Kinect - round 2, and NGP's launch. 3DS may not be enough.

Although I like to joke about a "Skyward Sword HD", in this case I think it wouldn't be possible (unless the controller being described is very different, or unless the Wii HD comes with TWO types of controllers - one this traditional type with a screen, and a regular motion controller. I highly doubt that scenario).

Skyward Sword is like the flagship motion plus title, and it requires a remote shaped controller to function normally. It wouldn't work with a regular controller with some SixAxis-esque motion. Hell even the puzzles apparently have more in-depth motion-based functions. Even I know this much. And there's no way Nintendo would flagship a launch game that didn't utilize the main controller that came with the system and forced consumers to buy a controller from an old one.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Amir0x said:
Although I like to joke about a "Skyward Sword HD", in this case I think it wouldn't be possible (unless the controller being described is very different, or unless the Wii HD comes with TWO types of controllers - one this traditional type with a screen, and a regular motion controller. I highly doubt that scenario).

Skyward Sword is like the flagship motion plus title, and it requires a remote shaped controller to function normally. It wouldn't work with a regular controller with some SixAxis-esque motion. Hell even the puzzles apparently have more in-depth motion-based functions. Even I know this much. And there's no way Nintendo would flagship a launch game that didn't utilize the main controller that came with the system and forced consumers to buy a controller from an old one.
You make a good point, but perhaps they will include a Motion+ controller with Zelda, as they do with Wii Play 2.

Amir0x

Banned
marc^o^ said:
You make a good point, but perhaps they will include a Motion+ controller with Zelda, as they do with Wii Play 2.

I guess that's possible, but Zelda: Skyward Sword is no $10 shallow mini-game. The package of that sort would be considerably more than $50 :p

[Nintex]

Amir0x said:
I guess that's possible, but Zelda: Skyward Sword is no $10 shallow mini-game. The package of that sort would be considerably more than $50 :p
Just a slap a Zelda 25th anniversary sticker on it and presto.

FrankT

Wait IGN is now suggesting a possible 2011 release date. Well, well now that would be interesting. Even spring 2012 in the US I didn't see happening.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Baki said:
It definitely won't hit this year simply because there won't be any launch software. Spring 2012 the earliest (I suspect that it will slip into fall 2012).

Not this again.

We have no clue what 3rd-parties are working on. Nintendo itself has a barren release schedule. Rumors are that dev kits have been out for months. Nobody has any clue how far along games are.

Pyrokai

Amir0x said:

Unlessssss the OTHER rumors of the screen controller only being one segment of the controller--an input option--and the other one is some kind of controller akin to the Wii remote.

Before you go and tell me how absolutely wrong I am, I just want to say that I'm basing this off what that other rumor was saying about it possibly having two different control schemes or something. Likely? Probably not, but no one knows right now. But if it's the case I can totally see two Zelda versions again.

That being said, I still fully expect SS this Fall, and this console next year.

Edit: Oh and I forget what rumor I'm referring to. Wasn't it from Kotaku? Brb while I check....

Edit2: Yeah, this one: http://kotaku.com/#!5794424/fresh-details-of-wii-2s-unusual-controller-and-why-it-wont-kill-the-wii-remote

Amir0x said:

Didn't an N64 game come with the 4MB ram pack even though the thing is sold for 30 bucks as a stand alone?

McHuj

I could see a Japan 2011 release and spring for the rest of the world. I'd imagine there would be enough Nintendo software to carry a launch in Japan this fall.

And given the specs, there should be plenty of time for easy ports for next spring for a US/EN launch.

Woffls

I guess it's a possibility for SS to be on N6 if the 2011 launch rumours are true, and I'd expect it to just use a Wiimote anyway assuming the console is backwards compatible in such a way.

The good news is that, if N6 does launch this year and there's no N6 version, Skyward Sword on Wii will be released as early as possible so they don't clash.

[edit] Edited loads of that ^ because I'm half asleep... at 10pm :\
Cow Mengde said:
Didn't an N64 game come with the 4MB ram pack even though the thing is sold for 30 bucks as a stand alone?
Donkey Kong 64 had one in Europe - well, the UK, at least - and it cost like £10 more than other retail games. I can't remember very clearly, it was some time ago, and I was more interested in the bad ass golden controller I got with it as well :D

- $350? hmmm... I don't know how I feel about that. don't know why since I think a 3DS at $250 is pretty good. especially with what you get in the box. I assume Nintendo will pack shit into this as well

- Holiday release? I don't believe that

- Stream? nice name

- size of original 360? as long as it's geometric

- architecture? they say revamped, so maybe take the orignal and pack it into a smaller die? that's not extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom