• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pie Lord

PantherLotus said:
enlighten me, lord of all informed speculation.
First off most people seem to be in agreement that this system will be backwards compatible with the Wii, thus it will have a disc drive of some sort. For that reasons alone it seems unlikely that Nintendo go the route of pure digital distribution. Secondly, there is the fact that this is Nintendo. Look at the online infrastructure that they have at the moment; compared to their competitors they are severely lacking in that department, making them unlikely to be the first of the big three to go digital. Finally, the concept that you posted sounds like nothing more than a handheld that can be set up to display on a television. Think about this for a second; why on earth would Nintendo release two handheld consoles on the market at once?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Pie Lord said:
First off most people seem to be in agreement that this system will be backwards compatible with the Wii, thus it will have a disc drive of some sort. For that reasons alone it seems unlikely that Nintendo go the route of pure digital distribution. Secondly, there is the fact that this is Nintendo. Look at the online infrastructure that they have at the moment; compared to their competitors they are severely lacking in that department, making them unlikely to be the first of the big three to go digital. Finally, the concept that you posted sounds like nothing more than a handheld that can be set up to display on a television. Think about this for a second; why on earth would Nintendo release two handheld consoles on the market at once?

1. Your points are fine but being backwards compatible and forgoing a new format for digital distribution are not mutually exclusive.

2. Their current online structure is not an indication of their intended online strategy, though your point is correct. I'm just not sure we can project their intentions based on what we currently know. See: motion, 3D, etc.

3. And suggesting that Nintendo is above releasing two handhelds at the same time is no less than ignoring history.

Game-Biz

Ookami-kun said:
I've always wondered if they are going to ditch the Wii name for a new one or keep it.
Maybe they'll go for Nintendo STRiiM :p

Edit: And I'm probably not the first who thought of that...haha

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^ Why is that a stupid thing to say? I can think of a dozen reasons why would would conclude that internet cafes were no longer necessary.

Ookami-kun said:
I've always wondered if they are going to ditch the Wii name for a new one or keep it.

Great question.

If we believe they correctly recognize established branding of world dominating properties, like: (NES -> SNES) / (GB -> GBC -> GBA -> GBASP) / (DS -> DSL -> 3DS), then they very easily could stick with the Wii brand.

Actually, come to think of it, the only two non-continued brandings of Nintendo were the N64 and the GC.

With that in mind I wouldn't be shocked if the name Wii was there somewhere.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Ookami-kun said:

The only thing consistent in the name of a Nintendo home console is just that, "Nintendo". Every Nintendo home consoles ever since the NES has "Nintendo" in it.

So whatever it's gonna be called, it's gonna be called Nintendo "Something".

onken

PantherLotus said:
Great question.

If we believe they correctly recognize established branding of world dominating properties, like: (NES -> SNES) / (GB -> GBC -> GBA -> GBASP) / (DS -> DSL -> 3DS), then they very easily could stick with the Wii brand.

Actually, come to think of it, the only two non-continued brandings of Nintendo were the N64 and the GC.

With that in mind I wouldn't be shocked if the name Wii was there somewhere.

The brand undeniably still has strength but let's not forget "Wii" is and always was a stupid fucking name, so crossing my fingers for something new.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
onken said:
The brand undeniably still has strength but let's not forget "Wii" is and always was a stupid fucking name, so crossing my fingers for something new.

That's the second time in as many posts you've used the word stupid, and you've been wrong both times. It's one of the most successful brand launches of all time.

BY2K said:
The only thing consistent in the name of a Nintendo home console is just that, "Nintendo". Every Nintendo home consoles ever since the NES has "Nintendo" in it.

So whatever it's gonna be called, it's gonna be called Nintendo "Something".

Nope. The Wii was just that, the "Wii". It's not the "Nintendo Wii".

Instro

PantherLotus said:
That's the second time in as many posts you've used the word stupid, and you've been wrong both times. It's one of the most successful brand launches of all time.

As successful as the Wii brand has been, it also carries a lot of negative baggage with it these days. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they ditched the name.

Speevy

Banned
shadyspace said:
Nope. The Wii was just that, the "Wii". It's not the "Nintendo Wii".

That depends on the context. Common usage, commercials, packaging, the console itself. I don't call it the "Nintendo Wii", but I doubt anyone would correct me if I did.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Instro said:
As successful as the Wii brand has been, it also carries a lot of negative baggage with it these days. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they ditched the name.

No it doesn't. It carries a lot of negative baggage with you, but that statement is otherwise nonsense.

Fourth Storm said:
lol, actually it's not even the "Wii." It's just "Wii."

Yup. Nintendo said as much back when it came out. The Wii is "Wii."

"Wii has many new games on the horizon." Sounds like poor English
and isn't really true anymore
, but there you go.

Pie Lord

PantherLotus said:
1. Your points are fine but being backwards compatible and forgoing a new format for digital distribution are not mutually exclusive.

2. Their current online structure is not an indication of their intended online strategy, though your point is correct. I'm just not sure we can project their intentions based on what we currently know. See: motion, 3D, etc.

3. And suggesting that Nintendo is above releasing two handhelds at the same time is no less than ignoring history.
1. Fair enough, but do you really think Nintendo would include a disc drive on their system without the intent to release disc based games?

2. I will admit, Nintendo in unpredictable if nothing else. Who would have predicted they would release a glasses free 3D handheld before a passable online service?

3. Consider this. When Nintendo has had two handheld consoles on the market at once in the past, these two systems were radically different. Now, based on the rumored specs of the Cafe, can we honestly say that it is that different from the 3DS? The difference in raw horsepower is considerable, but aside from that they would very similar. The other problem with the idea of this being a handheld is the fact that it is supposed to be backwards compatible. Again, this would mean the need for a disc drive and that would mean the need for an actual box console. So that would mean the only way this could be a handheld is if you carry around a small battery powered console that then streams all of its data to your controller screen; and I somehow doubt that is what you envisioned when you made your original post.

onken said:

To keep the mantra about gaming being for everyone, they are going to name the new console "Uus" (pronounced like "us"). Because this new generation will be about Uus gamers. :p

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Pie Lord said:
1. Fair enough, but do you really think Nintendo would include a disc drive on their system without the intent to release disc based games?

2. I will admit, Nintendo in unpredictable is nothing else. Who would have predicted we they would release a glasses free 3D handheld before a passable online service?

3. Consider this. When Nintendo has had two handheld consoles on the market at once in the past, these two systems were radically different. Now, based on the rumored specs of the Cafe, can we honestly say that it is that different from the 3DS? The difference in raw horsepower is considerable, but aside from that they would very similar. The other problem with the idea of this being a handheld is the fact that it is supposed to be backwards compatible. Again, this would mean the need for a disc drive and that would mean the need for an actual box console. So that would mean the only way this could be a handheld is if you carry around a small battery powered console that then streams all of its data to your controller screen; and I somehow doubt that is what you envisioned when you made your original post.

1. I don't, actually, which is why I was speculating in the first place. I can imagine both options, with the disc media option or the netflix-style option, whether through the base unit or from the controller or something else.

2. Indeed.

3. I think a lot of people are assuming backwards compatibility, and it's probably a safe assumption. Good points, though.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
dwu8991 said:
Pointer controls are kind of like cheating, since when did sports games turn into strategy games?

Since the invention of playing a sport on screen with limited inputs, requiring tactical decisions and an over-arching strategy learned through repetitive play?

bgassassin said:
I don't know. In that March interview Horii only stated that they were "working toward releasing it on the Wii". I have a tough time believing they still do that with a new console on the horizon. Could explain why info has been scarce on the game since it was first announced it was coming to the Wii.
Do you remember that time DQVII was running really late during the 32-bit era so they decided to just port it up to PS2?

Cause I don't.

dwu8991 said:
Pointer controls are kind of like cheating, since when did sports games turn into strategy games?
You're a single person playing a team game. That PES stuff is the perfect solution. Why are you against progress?

ShockingAlberto said:
Do you remember that time DQVII was running really late during the 32-bit era so they decided to just port it up to PS2?

Cause I don't.

Well it's not like I'm saying it's guaranteed to switch. However what you mention was also roughly 2 console generations ago and before Enix and Square merged. It is plausible that they may hold a different ideology.

bgassassin said:
Well it's not like I'm saying it's guaranteed to switch. However what you mention was also roughly 2 console generations ago and before Enix and Square merged. It is plausible that they may hold a different ideology.
Horii is still Horii.

Square-Enix does not tell him what to do.

EDarkness

I really don't care about the new controllers. They can have 7" screens on them as far as I'm concerned. However, I do want them to include remotes and nunchucks in every package so that we can have our motion controls if we want them. If they don't include them, then motion controls are effectively dead on a Nintendo system. At least if they include them, then maybe, just maybe, we'll get what we wanted all along with the Wii. I just don't see them giving up on them after the success of the Wii. It would be silly to do so.

onken

PantherLotus said:

I didn't say it wasn't successful, I said it was stupid. The spelling is illogical, it's a British euphanism for "piss" and it tells you nothing about the product.

Also, just because you personally don't have need for an Internet cafe, assuming that nobody else does is a stupid fucking thing to say (I know it wasn't you that made the original comment, though I have no idea why you are defending it, alt account busted?)

Mmmm, Nintendo's Wii Stream...

On a serious note, the core hardware seems like something I'm "ok" with, but the controller shit... if this is true, I'm completely passing up Nintendo. I don't want to pay 80+ bucks for a fucking controller with a screen on it.

ShockingAlberto said:
Horii is still Horii.

Square-Enix does not tell him what to do.

You're still debating me like I said it was guaranteed. My original point was doing it to give the new console a good start. Clearly with the large base already established with the Wii they would (and more than likely should) stick to releasing on the Wii to sell the most games sooner.

Beth Cyra

bgassassin said:
You're still debating me like I said it was guaranteed. My original point was doing it to give the new console a good start. Clearly with the large base already established with the Wii they would (and more than likely should) stick to releasing on the Wii to sell the most games sooner.

It's not like this is even an original thought though. This comes up all the time, why DQ X should be ported and/or moved. It gets old, even more so when this goes against how Horii has handled DQ up to this point and the man just came out a few months ago and said it was for Wii.

GCX

Nintendo doesn't necessarily have to keep the Wii name alive. Their brand is strong enough to launch a new console with a new name if it just has a Nintendo logo attached to it.

This was not the case when Wii released and therefore they even dropped "Nintendo" from the console's name.

NewFresh

bgassassin said:

It will be interesting to see if DQX will be more like the release of Pokemon b/w here in the US. They were released on the previous console that had a large install base shortly before the new console came out. They announced the platform in march 2008 so that is at least 3 years building for the Wii hardware.

EDarkness

bgassassin said:

If the new system is backwards compatible, then people who buy Stream can play the game anyway. Everyone wins.

TunaLover

I only can think how battery consuming will be that controller (big scren|touch controls|camera|streaming); if nintendo doesn't offer a good battery solution I don't see it being so practical.

TruePrime said:
It's not like this is even an original thought though. This comes up all the time, why DQ X should be ported and/or moved. It gets old, even more so when this goes against how Horii has handled DQ up to this point and the man just came out a few months ago and said it was for Wii.

I never expected it to be an original idea. I haven't posted on GAF since last year and even longer on the Gaming side to know what's been discussed ad nauseam. Heck, people have been reposting the same fake scan in this thread that's only a week old like they haven't been posted before.

EDIT:

EmmanuelMunoz said:
It will be interesting to see if DQX will be more like the release of Pokemon b/w here in the US. They were released on the previous console that had a large install base shortly before the new console came out. They announced the platform in march 2008 so that is at least 3 years building for the Wii hardware.

Yeah, that's the most likely scenario of which I don't disagree with.

EDarkness said:
If the new system is backwards compatible, then people who buy Stream can play the game anyway. Everyone wins.

This is true as well.

antonz

Flying_Phoenix said:
Why does Horii have more say than Square-Enix (a multi-million dollar company and publisher)?

Can somebody explain this to me please.
edited for correctness.

Horii and his company have an exclusive production contract. I have to imagine he has some decent protection clauses in there

Beth Cyra

antonz said:
Because SE doesnt own Dragon Quest and Horii does. He has simply agreed in contract to let them publish all his games.

SE knows better than to rock the boat on a cashcow

SE does own Dragon Quest.

It's more complicated then that. duckroll or a few others could explain it alot better then I ever could.

antonz

TruePrime said:
SE does own Dragon Quest.

It's more complicated then that. duckroll or a few others could explain it alot better then I ever could.
You are right I got the contract mixed up. He has an Exclusive Production Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom