• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

Lonewolf_92 said:
Not idiots who would claim a 2011/2012 launched system would be equal in power to a 2005 launched one? For that to be true, you wouldn't just have to be unmindful of power, you'd have to spend more money to buy parts old enough for that to be the case. You can buy off the shelf parts that would dwarf the 360 in power for peanuts, even less in bulk if you're a manufacturer like Nintendo.

You don't have to call people idiots for defying conventional wisdom. Nintendo did this very thing in 2005. It was a POS backwards ass CPU/GPU that they put in the Wii. And they had their most profitable stint in the history of their company.

It's wasn't hard to believe it again when the most credible leaks weren't able to say it was more powerful and were hemming and hamming. I'd say it was common sense to be cautious.

antonz

I mostly concur with BMF. Unless they want to really heavily modify lower models to raise performance the 4770 is the logical baseline. Its a low power option in the 4000 series that with further upgrades for console use would make it even more power efficient.

Would Give Nintendo a decent 4x power improvement over this gens HD consoles and give them access to almost all of the DX11 features minus things like Shader Model 5.0. It would give Shader Model 4.1 which as we all know is an extra shader gen ahead of the current consoles.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
CoffeeJanitor said:
Wtf, that guy just said the Wii isn't a 'real' system. How many years has this been?

This is the uphill battle Nintendo has to climb. Much of the gaming journalism industry seems to have similar views.

watershed

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
That's what we want to believe.

- Friend Request
- Messaging System
- 3D Video Recording

We don't ask for much!

Only the eshop is confirmed for the may update right? I can't wait for that.

But the messaging system and the 3d video recording have only been confirmed for "future updates" not necessarily the may update, iirc.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
civilstrife said:
This thing will run DVD's.

Forget blu-ray
LOL at holo-anything
Wouldn't surprise me one bit. There is no real reason to go Blu-Ray, unless you want to make your system much more expensive.

Remember Nintendo worries about things like loading times, and it's way cheaper to put a fast DVD drive there than a fast Blu-Ray drive there. Many PS3 games had the problem of slow BR drive, and developers had to copy the same data many times on the same blu ray to solve it...

Double layered-DVDs are enough for 99.9% of the games, and in the future this is unlikely to change.

1-D_FTW said:
You don't have to call people idiots for defying conventional wisdom. Nintendo did this very thing in 2005. It was a POS backwards ass CPU/GPU that they put in the Wii. And they had their most profitable stint in the history of their company.

It's wasn't hard to believe it again when the most credible leaks weren't able to say it was more powerful and were hemming and hamming. I'd say it was common sense to be cautious.

Difference being that he CPU and GPU used in the Wii were parts that were still being made BECAUSE of the Gamecube.
They don't have that luxury here, unless they are literally going to cannibalize the PS3 or 360 for parts (which they won't).

Plinko said:
This is the uphill battle Nintendo has to climb. Much of the gaming journalism industry seems to have similar views.
The guy who's talking right now is just silly. He said that Apple is going to take over the handheld market if they keep it up.

I wonder if they've ever delved in logic.

PantherLotus said:
I obviously don't know, but I don't think Nintendo starts their dev process by saying, "first thing's first: it needs to play Wii games." I don't think that's necessarily a non-starter.
Actually I think that absolutely is one of the first things on the design table. At least it was with GBA, DS, 3DS, and Wii.

I'm pretty sure there's an Iwata asks out there that states as much.

BMF said:
The use of the 4770 is my conjecture based on the R700 rumor. AMD's smallest process for dedicated gpus is 40nm. The only unit in the R700 line at 40nm is the 4770. It was released around the time that Nintendo would have been specifying parts for the new system. The inference is that the 4770 was a proof of concept in shrinking the R700 down to 40nm on the path to further optimizing it for use in Nintendo's box. My logic chain is good, but given the limited dataset, it is not necessarily correct.

Ah, so someone other than me is suspecting it to be a 4770 huh? This is also the chip I believe would be in it. Hell, the minute it came out and I saw the benchmarks I thought, wow, this thing was be great for a Nintendo console. It's also not a power hog like any of the other 4xxx cards.

Cow Mengde said:
Ah, so someone other than me is suspecting it to be a 4770 huh? This is also the chip I believe would be in it. Hell, the minute it came out and I saw the benchmarks I thought, wow, this thing was be great for a Nintendo console. It's also not a power hog like any of the other 4xxx cards.
So if it is that card,

What kind of performance are we talking?

Could it play today's highest end PC games at a decent framerate?

Azure J

BMF said:
The use of the 4770 is my conjecture based on the R700 rumor. AMD's smallest process for dedicated gpus is 40nm. The only unit in the R700 line at 40nm is the 4770. It was released around the time that Nintendo would have been specifying parts for the new system. The inference is that the 4770 was a proof of concept in shrinking the R700 down to 40nm on the path to further optimizing it for use in Nintendo's box. My logic chain is good, but given the limited dataset, it is not necessarily correct.

You can probably tell that I'm not all that informed when it comes to these things, but still this is all very interesting and enlightening for me. Thanks for sharing your logic with me.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
civilstrife said:
Actually I think that absolutely is one of the first things on the design table. At least it was with GBA, DS, 3DS, and Wii.

I'm pretty sure there's an Iwata asks out there that states as much.

Yeah, I clarified my point after the quoted text. I specifically meant a requirement of same physical media capabilities, but point taken.

Pyrokai

Ugh, no matter how I wrap my head around everything, I can't see this new system being anything but a machine mainly for Nintendo games.....again. I just can't see developers supporting it past 2014 with the looming launches of PS4720, and they have a hard sell to dudebros (a huuuuge market) that probably will wait to upgrade to the next MS/Sony systems. It's such an awkward release timing Sigh.

Yes, I'm expecting the worst here, but that way I can't be disappointed. I'll still buy it because I love Nintendo games, but seriously, it would just be really nice to have a Nintendo console with real third party support so I don't have to buy so many systems.

KAL2006

Banned
AceBandage said:
Hmmm, a 4770, eh?
That can run (on a PC) Crysis on High with 4x AA at 30FPS.
Meaning it would be pretty good for a console indeed.

on a console it could do way better because the game will only be designed specifiaclly for that console and not multiple PC setups. also lets not forget WiiHD is not going to have resource taken up from Windows OS.

I reckon you can probably get Crysis running at 1080p, 60fps and AA

Big One

Banned
civilstrife said:
No I highly doubt this. For one how would you be able to store something like GTAV or any HD game onto a DVD disc? Secondly Bluray is highly popular and practically the new standard for disc based media...it'll probably have Bluray or some form of it.

Dascu said:
I'm starting to like his hijinx. He's way more fun than you!

I thought we had something, man...

Pyrokai said:
Ugh, no matter how I wrap my head around everything, I can't see this new system being anything but a machine mainly for Nintendo games.....again. I just can't see developers supporting it past 2014 with the looming launches of PS4720, and they have a hard sell to dudebros (a huuuuge market) that probably will wait to upgrade to the next MS/Sony systems. It's such an awkward release timing Sigh.

Yes, I'm expecting the worst here, but that way I can't be disappointed. I'll still buy it because I love Nintendo games, but seriously, it would just be really nice to have a Nintendo console with real third party support so I don't have to buy so many systems.

All next gen console engines will still be scalable to the Cafe, unless they're going with some futuristic GPU that isn't created yet.
The same was not true for the Wii, which couldn't handle any of the HD engines.

WillyFive

Big One said:
No I highly doubt this. For one how would you be able to store something like GTAV or any HD game onto a DVD disc?

The same way people have been doing it the past six years.

Secondly Bluray is highly popular and practically the new standard for disc based media...it'll probably have Bluray or some form of it.

Maybe, but I fear the loading times.

dvolovets

Big One said:
No I highly doubt this. For one how would you be able to store something like GTAV or any HD game onto a DVD disc? Secondly Bluray is highly popular and practically the new standard for disc based media...it'll probably have Bluray or some form of it.
In the same way that it's going to be stored on a 360 disc, maybe?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Pyrokai said:

The upgrade in graphics capabilities next gen will be as important as the increase in bits on the PS1/N64 generation. The capabilities rumored are really enough in terms of graphics, there will probably be like 1 game that will surpass it, and we will move on to notice other things.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Lonewolf_92 said:
Not idiots who would claim a 2011/2012 launched system would be equal in power to a 2005 launched one? For that to be true, you wouldn't just have to be unmindful of power, you'd have to spend more money to buy parts old enough for that to be the case. You can buy off the shelf parts that would dwarf the 360 in power for peanuts, even less in bulk if you're a manufacturer like Nintendo.

3ds_psp-2%5B8%5D.jpg

3ds_psp-1%5B6%5D.jpg

3ds_psp-3%5B6%5D.jpg

1. LOL Using Namco's shit to compare anything.
2. The other games (especially MGS3) destroy the PSP games. It's not even a contest.

So... what was the point of your post again, MadOdorMachine?

Big One

Banned
dvolovets said:
In the same way that it's going to be stored on a 360 disc, maybe?
For some reason I was thinking those were HD-DVDs, but even then the usage of DVD wouldn't be very progressive whatsoever. Bluray isn't really all that more expensive nowadays and to avoid going to it wouldn't be very appealing for third parties. Bluray doesn't have any different load times from DVD either.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Pyrokai said:

I imagine that their kid cousins console having better graphics than their 360 or PS3 with possibly a two year wait will encourage a lot of people to jump ship.

ryan-ts

DeaconKnowledge said:
Get ready for a month of false rumors and mockups.

Really wish this was kept secret until at least late May.

Eh? Some of initial rumours are going to proven to be BS when the time comes for the reveal, that just how it always is.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Pyrokai said:

They seemed to upgrade to the 360/PS3 just fine. If this console were the only one on the market for at least a year before the others and the games were there I think they'd say screw it and upgrade.

MisterHero

civilstrife said:

Forget blu-ray
LOL at holo-anything
if anything people should not forget anything Nintendo has a direct hand in developing, including holographic storage (they are included as one of the patent holders, after all)

if not now, then maybe after Wii's successor

anyways I don't doubt that they'd consider a less prevalent medium. they still want some control on whether their games can be easilly copied/pirated.

it can be their way of having a competent, unique and tolerable proprietary format

AceBandage said:
1. LOL Using Namco's shit to compare anything.
2. The other games (especially MGS3) destroy the PSP games. It's not even a contest.

So... what was the point of your post again, MadOdorMachine?

We must be looking at different screenshots because the only 3DS game that looks "better" is MGS3 and that's because of the cliff faces only.

Instro

MadOdorMachine said:

Considering we already know the 3DS is more powerful than the PSP, Im not sure why you think posting some images(particularly of MGS3D which looks significantly better than Peace Walker) is somehow driving home a point about Nintendo hardware.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Big One said:
For some reason I was thinking those were HD-DVDs, but even then the usage of DVD wouldn't be very progressive whatsoever. Bluray isn't really all that more expensive nowadays and to avoid going to it wouldn't be very appealing for third parties. Bluray doesn't have any different load times from DVD either.
Just goign from retail the difference between a bluray drive and a DVD drive is about $30-40. Even at $15 a console, if they sell about 80 million consoles that is 1.2 billion dollars. Every component on a console has a next step up that is only $5 or $10 more, but a few dollars here or there can make a big difference to overall profit margins.

HYDE

Banned
poppabk said:
Because mice don't require you to obscure what it is that you are interacting with. Because touch, unless with a fine stylus is not very precise. Because touch requires direct access to the screen.

hence, the purpose of a touchscreen on a controller= don't obscure the main screen (TV).

and at junior saying trackballs=mice...... yah think?!.

Azure J

Pyrokai said:

If Nintendo is really aiming to go for a PS2 approach to this system where it is both able to do things beyond what the current gen offers and be scalable/easy enough to develop for in conjunction with the other two successor systems like many of us suspect (or in a strange alternate world, dictate the benchmark all devs develop for due to it being par in ability between the 3 next gen consoles and having the userbase to support it), there won't be any real problems on this front. At worst, it'll get a ton of PS360 ports with the ability to play them more stably than said consoles on top of the Nintendo franchises. There will also be viable current engines capable to create content for the system although without as many shinies as the Microsoft & Sony systems will be pushing if they go all in again. This is because no one's going to throw out their entire engine sources (think UE3, CE3) to start from scratch. It was actually because something similar happened between last gen and this why making content for the Wii specifically became such a specialized situation where dev houses would need to put in a ton of effort to get the most out of the system. Unfortunately, with no one left that could really tap the Gamecube and no libraries to really reference, well no one saw any worth in doing all that work and stuck to what they were established with.

Dascu said:
Tell that to stumpokapow! That grouchy old coot.
To recap: We got the AceBandage type poster, that makes multiple post per page with super short replies and fears the edit button like Satan.

We got the guys reposting information and we got maybe 50/60% of most threaders that are maniac derailers. And i'm the banning material? But i luv you guys long times anyway! :D

OT: To the guys making mock ups of controllers with the screen. Consider that the clamshell design is a good way to keep the size of the controller acceptable. Remenber is supposed to be a 6'' screen. The area of it at 16:9 is similar to a Wavrbird controller.

MisterHero said:
if anything people should not forget anything Nintendo has a direct hand in developing, including holographic storage (they are included as one of the patent holders, after all)

if not now, then maybe after Wii's successor

anyways I don't doubt that they'd consider a less prevalent medium. they still want some control on whether their games can be easilly copied/pirated.

it can be their way of having a competent, unique and tolerable proprietary format

HD DVD. Melt down some old Xbox 360 add-ons.

civilstrife said:
So if it is that card,

What kind of performance are we talking?

Could it play today's highest end PC games at a decent framerate?

It's hard to say for consoles, but as someone said before, if the card is in a closed platform, it'll be able run faster unlike a PC. In a PC, games have to worry about completely different hardware so they can't be optimized as well. This is one of the advantages to being a closed platform. I don't dare to say if it'll run Crysis @ 1080p, but 720p @ 60fps isn't out of the question.

Let me put it this way, my 8800GS is about 2-3 times the power of a 360. The 4770 is better than my card. By how much, I don't remember.

Quoting the post below was a hassle for some reason
Refreshment.01 said:
The controller is already available on Amazon for ordering!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028Y4BTW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

JK! jus in case
Goona grab this sucker before any one else! :D

I shouldn't be the one in trouble bro, Nintendo should watch out cause this reaks of lawsuit.

There's no TOS violation for sense of humor. At least last i checked. :)
Review said:
Screen: Very sensetive touch screen.
*Sound: reasonable sound quality.
*Video: I am very happy that I can now carry all of my home videos with me. cafe has TV connection feature but I haven't tested.
*Accessories: Nice leather case and the touch pen. Also, the good earphone.
Interesting. Looks like they're really going for a multimedia concept this time around.

wouldn't it be rad

CoffeeJanitor said:
Quoting the post below was a hassle for some reason

Interesting. Looks like they're really going for a multimedia concept this time around.

wouldn't it be rad

I thought about buying one at one point :lol

I'd put my money on DVD instead of Blu-ray. it's cheaper and so far, not many games exceed the allotted space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom