• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
wsippel said:
Well, it seems whoever was first on reporting the codename was definitely up to something. Try this:

https://www.warioworld.com/nitro/
https://www.warioworld.com/wii/
https://www.warioworld.com/ctr/

Works, right? Now lets make something up:

https://www.warioworld.com/neogaf/
https://www.warioworld.com/believe/

404, obviously. Now try this:

https://www.warioworld.com/cafe/

https://www.warioworld.com/default.asp?page=/playstation/

Your find was working fine, until that. :(

Edit: Oh! It doesn't work if it's https://www.warioworld.com/playstation/ probably because it had "default" in the url at first. Ahh. :)

Somnid

ombz said:
I wonder if Nintendo will include an hdmi port or if they'll use some proprietary port.

Analog AV, HDMI and Optical out probably. HDMI is pretty standard and simple so it's a good bet. Analog will be there for everyone else.

ombz

Hero of Legend said:
I think HDMI is a given, what else could they use? Component doesn't support 1080p does it?
I guess so. It just I don't remember Nintendo ever not using proprietary ports.

Mrbob

If CoD isn't better on Super Wii then Nintendo failed with their goal. What was the reasoning behind him saying to stay with the 360/PS3 version?

Mrbob said:
If CoD isn't better on Super Wii then Nintendo failed with their goal. What was the reasoning behind him saying to stay with the 360/PS3 version?

trolling
dual analogue preference
hates touchscreen
touchscreen doesn't work

there can be several reason

Mrbob

From The Dust said:
trolling
dual analogue preference
hates touchscreen
touchscreen doesn't work

there can be several reason

Doesn't the Super Wii have dual analogs? Gaming journalists knowledge outside of the Xbox 360 is usually fairly weak.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Anybody else think that in this day and age is is silly (and ignorant) to announce a console, handheld, software, etc. a YEAR (or longer) before it's release? Today you see twice as many advertisements and have twice the amount of companies fighting for your attention and money. Why reveal your product and have the hype through the roof, but yet you fail to capitalize with releasing said product almost a year later?

Take the 3DS for example. Hype for that thing was at unbelievable levels when E3 2010 was over. Almost every single gamer you talked to wanted it, and hype continued to build for a sizable time. But then the Holiday season came, Kinect/Move was released along with tons of compelling software for each system, and support continued to grow for Apple's handheld products. People want to spend money on big products at the holiday time, and those people who would of most likely bought a 3DS, spent it on something else.

Now March 27h comes by and hype has died down, some people don't even know it's launched yet. It's been almost a year since the revealing and honestly... it's kinda old news now for gamers. IPad 2 has been announced and released, and more compelling software is starting to release for the competitors. NGP has been announced, and hype has started to build for it. Yeah the 3DS had a good launch, but I can't help but think how well it could of done if it took advantage of the E3 hype and released sometime last Holiday season like Nintendo originally planned.

Nintendo announcing Wii 2 at this E3 and NOT releasing it this Holiday season would be a mistake (imo). If they don't have the software or finished hardware to release within that time frame, then don't announce it.

Mrbob said:
Doesn't the Super Wii have dual analogs? Gaming journalists knowledge outside of the Xbox 360 is usually fairly weak.

yea. I'm just saying there are many reasons. there are those who dislike the Wii mainly because of the pointer. he may have more info on the Cafe than we do, but without context, his comment doesn't mean much

M74

Wolves Evolve said:
So the odds of it being called Nintendo Cafe just went up massively, then. Wow.
No. Most of those are just codenames. That's all "Cafe" is, so far as we know. A codename only.

Wolves Evolve said:
So the odds of it being called Nintendo Cafe just went up massively, then. Wow.

Nah, just means the French got the Project name right. Seems the site lists them by either project name and/or official shortform.

I've grown very used to calling it the Cafe. so much that whenever I mention the Wii's successor, I refer to it as the Cafe. "Nintendo Cafe" just roles off the tounge so well

From The Dust said:
I've grown very used to calling it the Cafe. so much that whenever I mention the Wii's successor, I refer to it as the Cafe. "Nintendo Cafe" just roles off the tounge so well

I felt the same about Revolution for the Wii. Still sad Nintendo didn't just go with that name instead of Wii.

Veal

lunchwithyuzo said:
The Stream controller/interface/setup sounds like it was almost tailor made for Monhan in Japan. Maybe Nintendo holds on to MH4 after all?
Oh god Monster Hunter would be GODLY on this thing! An always available and usable inventory/map/communications screen would make the choices with the controller completely worth it IMO. Add to that some nicely detailed graphics and (hopefully) true surround sound. I'd buy a dozen!

neoanarch

So about 36 hours to go

I have very limited expectations from an announcement. probably just an announcment and maybe a very early demo real. Think back to the Revolution reveal, it was just a Metroid 3 teaser.

swerve

neoanarch said:
I have very limited expectations from an announcement

Have *none*. It's completely likely that they say nothing *at all* and that will in no way be Nintendo letting us down, because they haven't promised anything.

I'll be happy if I get to see Rhythm Tengoku Wii. :D

For the people that think the screen is in the controller would you like something like this crude clamshell design?:

wii2protovu2u.jpg

Fig. A: Just the touch screen at the face of the controller with the 2 thumbsticks. Plus at the front, 4 buttons (2 triggers + 2 bumpers). This is the less intimidating mode, for very simplified game input.

Fig. B: The controller clamshell opens and rotates in the bezel around the middle axis so the touch screen faces the user, reveling 4 face buttons and the D-pad. Plus all the thumbsticks and front triggers/bumpers accessible.

Fig. B (second possible case): If the screen is detachable theres no need for the rotating bezel.

Why the clamshell? Because i think with a 6'' touch screen, is the only way to keep the controller at a reasonable size. Another advantage is when open, the screen is closer to the user FOV, since its in front and angled. At the bottom and the sides the controller will be more "fat" and with ergonomic curves like a normal pad and not like a DS. Didn't consider a slide design because they are not very durable. But it might work also.

So i think the people making mock ups with the integrated screen could explore this possibility.

Independent of what Nintendo chooses, this seems really cool from my point of view.

MisterHero

Lol I remember on Nsider someone leaked the Revolution remote (it was between a few minutes and an hour) and it got removed by a mod and that was still before the reveal

maybe we have slightly less than 35 hours
plus however long until E3
lol

Skiesofwonder said:
Anybody else think that in this day and age is is silly (and ignorant) to announce a console, handheld, software, etc. a YEAR (or longer) before it's release?

Nope. You need to start priming third-party developers to work on your system well in advance; once they start getting kits and development contracts, leaks will come out; announcing early helps keep this stuff under control. Nintendo has visibly already waited too long to formally announce this system even if it's not due out until November 2012.

Consoles aren't the same thing as consumer electronic products like an iPad that require no new software development, no new third-party partners, and no other ramp-up process before their release, and they're not going to be announced the same way as such products.

Now March 27h comes by and hype has died down

Hype on the 3DS didn't die down because time passed, hype died down because people found out about the excessive price, low battery life, and poor first six months of software.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Lonewolf_92 said:
Nah, just means the French got the Project name right. Seems the site lists them by either project name and/or official shortform.
And that suggests that 01net got their information from a developer with the kit, so their rough specs are likely accurate.
As for where IGN got hint of the possible final name...hard to say. Maybe someone involved with Foxconn?
Lonewolf_92 said:
I felt the same about Revolution for the Wii. Still sad Nintendo didn't just go with that name instead of Wii.
'Revolution' sounds like an old Sega machine. You can't sell that to soccer mums the way you can 'Wii'.
I think time has revealed Wii to be a fantastic name, given Nintendo's strategy with that machine.

neoanarch

swerve said:
Have *none*. It's completely likely that they say nothing *at all* and that will in no way be Nintendo letting us down, because they haven't promised anything.

I'll be happy if I get to see Rhythm Tengoku Wii. :D

If they were holding back they would have denied the rumors outright even if they were factual. But so far no direct quotes from any level at Nintendo? Way too suspicious.

Refreshment.01 said:
For the people that think the screen is in the controller would you like something like this crude clamshell design?:

Not now 01net confirmed the layout was something like a tablet/NGP crossover. Intimidation or buttonphobia is less of a factor thanks to all the people they sold a DS to. It will indeed be rather wide if the rumours are accurate, maybe 9". More than I was expecting.

Lonewolf_92 said:

well, I'm not one to get attached to codenames. because they are codenames :p

besides, looking back on it, would Revolution really have been a good idea? you'd be seeing posts about broken promises and shit

Graphics Horse said:
Not now 01net confirmed the layout was something like a tablet/NGP crossover. Intimidation or buttonphobia is less of a factor thanks to all the people they sold a DS to.
So? When the clamshell is open it has 12 buttons, two thumbsticks plus a touch screen. When closed it has that tablet feeling and look, but you retain 4 triggers and 2 thumbsticks.

From The Dust said:

besides, looking back on it, would Revolution really have been a good idea? you'd be seeing posts about broken promises and shit

We had them anyway because some people remembered the codename. :/

MisterHero

From The Dust said:

based on how it affected its competitors not really ;P

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
From The Dust said:
Just earlier today I was thinking that codename was entirely accurate.
Wii has revolutionised the game industry. Just not in the way fanboys were expecting back in 2005.

swerve

neoanarch said:
If they were holding back they would have denied the rumors outright even if they were factual. But so far no direct quotes from any level at Nintendo? Way too suspicious.

Really don't see why that's suspicious. Who wouldn't want all the attention and excitement of these threads and news reports, without a single word from official PR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom