• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
ShockingAlberto said:
Not having the software from third parties kneecaps the system out of the gate. Launching without third party software that is comparable or better than the Nintendo games kneecaps it for them. Not allowing the 3DS a single Christmas by making Nintendo compete for its own dollars kneecaps their handheld.

Basically a lot of broken kneecaps.
They could sacrifice some 3DS sales in the short term to compete more efficiently against Kinect, NGP, iPad 2, PS3, etc. 3DS won't be enough.
If N6 offers some useful connectivity with 3DS, they will regain these sales later. That's not an act Nintendo would usually play, but they don't have the luxuary to play it safe with lackluster wii and 3DS sales. About 3rd parties, there could be some ports ready for Q4, couldn't there?

Bizzyb said:
Nintendo surely fucked up with the 3DS launch, but they are banking on the software and this Summer and Holiday season to revive it. That said, if they announce Wii2 at E3 and DON'T release Wii 2 by this Holiday season then they have really put themselves in an awkward position. Releasing another console outside of Thanksgiving/Christmas isn't a smart thing to do as seen with 3DS

But then again by releasing this Holiday they are kind of competing with 3DS, BUT if they wait until Holiday 2012, Wii sales HW and SW would have dried so bad people may have lost faith in Nintendo and momentum and hype for the system will have long since died by then

I agree that Nintendo is really in a sticky situation with Wii2

So they drop the 3DS by $50 bucks and make sure Mario 3DS is ready. Get Wii 2 out the gate by November in limited quantities with software mostly catering to the hardcore gamer (i.e. hold back on Mario, Star Fox, etc). Maybe release it with F-Zero and an original IP and let 3rd parties do the rest.

If they target two different audiences, they could minimize the interference.

yoopoo

Banned
JasonMCG said:
I sure hope Nintendo has more foresight than to make a classic controller with a 6" screen. That looks fucking stupid and awkward.
Well of course it looks fucking stupid. Some dingling on GAF made it.

I don't see the problem with a wide controller with a screen in the middle.
Seriously, wide is not what we are used to, but is it really a problem?

It's better than having 2 thumbsticks that cause my thumbs to touch each other at times (dualshock i'm looking at you).

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
ShockingAlberto said:
Not having the software from third parties kneecaps the system out of the gate. Launching without third party software that is comparable or better than the Nintendo games kneecaps it for them. Not allowing the 3DS a single Christmas by making Nintendo compete for its own dollars kneecaps their handheld.

Basically a lot of broken kneecaps.

A $150 Wii and a $150 DSi will be competing more with the 3DS then a $350-400 cafe' IMHO.

Wii and DS broke holiday records together for over 4 years. I see no reason to believe why cafe' and 3DS can't survive (and thrive) together this holiday season.

As for your other points I agree but if third parties have had dev kits since late last year like the edge rumor stated and the development architecture is similar to the 360/easy to up-port to, then I think cafe' could potentially have strong third party support for the holidays.

Why are there so many mockups being posted that don't match the rumor descriptions at all?

"Like a Dreamcast/GameCube controller with an 6.2" iPad stuck in the middle." Yet everyone's coming up with Wii Remotes with touch screens, touch-buttons....what the heck? I guess we're just that bored waiting for new info.

ipukespiders said:

Not to me, I'm concerned about the outright size of the thing, but there's nothing wrong with your arms being slightly more parallel instead of pointing inwards.

Bert

ipukespiders said:

It's better than having 2 thumbsticks that cause my thumbs to touch each other at times (dualshock i'm looking at you).

The problem I see with all these mockups is you can't reach over with your thumb and touch the screen while you're holding it like a pad. So as a control device it's worthless.

A wide controller would be even worse, you probably couldn't reach anywhere bar the first inch on each side.

I agree that there's not an issue form playing with normal controls, but the touchscreen may as well not be there then.

Suzzopher said:
I'm totally fine with one unified friend code, like the 3DS has. I just can't see Nintendo ditching that system.
I don't have a problem with the Friend Code system... one of the advantages is that you can use any name you want...

The REAL problem with the system is that it doesn't have Friend REQUESTS.

I'm still a bit confused about what 01net was trying to get across regarding a sensor bar. Would there simply be one just like Wii or are the IR transmitter right on the controller?

I tend to believe the former, but then again, if there is Wii BC, having IR transmitters on the controller would allow for Wii games to be played right on the controller. They'd probably look alot nicer on a smaller screen too. :D

Fernando Rocker said:
I don't have a problem with the Friend Code system... one of the advantages is that you can use any name you want...

The REAL problem with the system is that it doesn't have Friend REQUESTS.

doesn't the 3DS have friend requests?

Lupin the Wolf said:
Why are there so many mockups being posted that don't match the rumor descriptions at all?

"Like a Dreamcast/GameCube controller with an 6.2" iPad stuck in the middle." Yet everyone's coming up with Wii Remotes with touch screens, touch-buttons....what the heck? I guess we're just that bored waiting for new info.
Are you referring to my example? :D

I was being practical. Something like this for the people that think the screen is in the controller would save a ton of space:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBYAqiw7J_M

Too bad that crude mock up is either escaping people minds or down right pissing them off. From my point of view its more interesting coming up with concepts or potential controller lay outs than speculating of software line ups or derailing the thread with what games i want type of jerk fest.
Bert said:
The problem I see with all these mockups is you can't reach over with your thumb and touch the screen while you're holding it like a pad. So as a control device it's worthless.

A wide controller would be even worse, you probably couldn't reach anywhere bar the first inch on each side.

I agree that there's not an issue form playing with normal controls, but the touchscreen may as well not be there then.
Since the screen is not multi touch according to the rumors, not being able to reach the hole screen with the thumbs is not much of a problem. The user would take the hand of the controls (say the right one) and use the index or middle finger to operate the screen.
dvolovets said:
People love to go nuts with mockups, but assuming any of these sources are legit, I'm also expecting something that's basically a much wider Gamecube/360 pad.
The problem with these wide mock ups its that is kind of awkward holding the controller with 1 hand while using the touch screen.

Fourth Storm said:
I'm still a bit confused about what 01net was trying to get across regarding a sensor bar. Would there simply be one just like Wii or are the IR transmitter right on the controller?

I tend to believe the former, but then again, if there is Wii BC, having IR transmitters on the controller would allow for Wii games to be played right on the controller. They'd probably look alot nicer on a smaller screen too. :D

Yeah , in my opinion it's either magic-stylus related or a Move-like tablet positioning system, depending where those nodes are. Not sure how many people want to play Wii remote games on a 6 inch screen really, I'm sure there's some out there...

dvolovets

Lupin the Wolf said:

People love to go nuts with mockups, but assuming any of these sources are legit, I'm also expecting something that's basically a much wider Gamecube/360 pad.

Rich!

From The Dust said:
doesn't the 3DS have friend requests?

Nope. No notifications or messaging either. If someone adds my friend code, I have no idea they have done so unless they tell me by other means (phone, text, internet) - which really does defeat the purpose of communication with the 3DS.

We're hoping there's improvement in the update next month, but yeah...

when I think of mock-ups, I always go practical. even if it's for shits and giggles. you have to solve the control issue. having the entire screen be the controller doesn't solve the issue of tactile feedback when playing game. especially if you will be looking at your tv more. when you factor in the standard button layout, most people come up with a square controller. it solves the control issue, but you bring up a problem with ergonomics.

for this reason, I think a stretched Classic/GCN is the most practical. it's ergonomic, so you don't get hand cramps. and it gives you a small enough size to use your thumb as a stylus for the screen. you have the issue of size, but that's unavoidable when you have to solve the other design problems

wsippel

Banned
01net broke the codename, the codename is correct - they seem to have an actual source. They posted a mockup their source said was close to the real thing, so we already have a pretty good idea what it'll be like.

MisterHero

Ookami-kun said:
Shovelware exists in the past too. PS2 has plenty of them.
so did NES, but both gamers and developers complained when Nintendo had some amount of quality assurance

it can be argued that all Nintendo's quality assurance did was make sure a shitty game could turn on, but maybe a stronger set of standards can work today

or maybe not. lol Nintendo (nor anybody else) can't win

Eteric Rice

richisawesome said:
Nope. No notifications or messaging either. If someone adds my friend code, I have no idea they have done so unless they tell me by other means (phone, text, internet) - which really does defeat the purpose of communication with the 3DS.

We're hoping there's improvement in the update next month, but yeah...

Messaging is coming, I believe.

Notifications would be nice, though. Hopefully they add them soon.

Varjet

richisawesome said:
That's the entire point of friend codes.

M74

Wolves Evolve said:
And Nintendo played their part by allowing horseshit to flood the console.
The first major complaint from developers about Nintendo, way back in the day, was their perceived draconian oversight of quality control.

Now people bitch because they no longer do that.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Shiggy said:
How reliable is fudzilla.com? They say Retro is working on DKC2.

Considering how well DKCR sold and how well-received it was critically, this is a no-brainer.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Graphics Horse said:
the speculation about the rough form factor is pretty much over, and I'm not going to start telling them how to redesign it before we've seen it.

It's never over ...

Varjet said:
That's the entire point of friend codes.

Inasmuch as friend codes are a system to take something useful and make it as useless as possible (under the assumption that, were it useful, it would therefore be used, presumably by pedophiles) I agree entirely.

Instro

Shiggy said:
How reliable is fudzilla.com? They say Retro is working on DKC2.

Never heard of the site, but DKCR2 is an obvious no brainer. Im sure they are working on that along with some other project.

yoopoo

Banned
How many chances will people give to Nintendo before giving up on their online structure? They ignored online on GC, came up with the shittiest plan on Wii and DS, never improved it with any updates.

DSi was just as bad. 3DS still has friend codes, now people are hoping that an update will improve the 3DS online system, when it does not... people will put their hopes on Cafe for better online.

Time to let go of hopes of acceptable online from Nintendo. And with the terrible online the new machine will never become the hardcore system as the fanboys are hoping it to be.

bidaum

It seems kind of odd, for this to be Nintendo's HD debut so to speak, for them to then make a controller with at least one purpose being to not need the HD tv.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
bidaum said:
It seems kind of odd, for this to be Nintendo's HD debut so to speak, for them to then make a controller with at least one purpose being to not need the HD tv.

Yeah, that's one of the most basic logical problems with the rumours.

But we'll see soon enough (hopefully).

MisterHero

phisheep said:
It's never over ...

pfffft, I once made a drawing about the N64 being built into one of those Human Gyroscope rides

yes, I once dreamed that Nintendo's next home console would've been a carnival ride

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
bidaum said:

Be handy, though, for reading in-game text if you are playing on an SD TV - tiny text was a bit of a plague this gen.

yoopoo said:
How many chances will people give to Nintendo before giving up on their online structure? They ignored online on GC, came up with the shittiest plan on Wii and DS, never improved it with any updates.

DSi was just as bad. 3DS still has friend codes, now people are hoping that an update will improve the 3DS online system, when it does not... people will put their hopes on Cafe for better online.

Time to let go of hopes of acceptable online from Nintendo. And with the terrible online the new machine will never become the hardcore system as the fanboys are hoping it to be.
Pretty much. I love Nintendo to death and their systems are really catered to my playing styles and tastes, but I don't have any faith in them as far as creating an online system that most people will enjoy. I'm indifferent to it because the only games I care to really play online are fighters, but when it comes to nintendo and a more "modern" online interface....I'll believe it when I see it.

Krowley

bidaum said:

Maybe that was part of their thinking.

If you don't have an HDTV, you could still get images that look roughly equivalent with less resolution on a much smaller screen, so everybody that buys the system can benefit from the graphics, regardless of what kind of tv they have.

Nintendo has always worried about the install base for HDTVs in the past.

From The Dust said:
you have to solve the control issue. having the entire screen be the controller doesn't solve the issue of tactile feedback when playing game. when you factor in the standard button layout, most people come up with a square controller. it solves the control issue, but you bring up a problem with ergonomics.
Don't think anybody with the slightest pinch of mind is suggesting to operate all the games just with the touch screen. Some simple games could do it, the others will use buttons as normal.

Since you are a practical guy, look at things that way. Most people come with square or angular designs because of lack of drawing skills, is easy to draw square stuff to quickly represent an idea. Its obvious to expect a very ergonomic design coming from Nintendo.
From The Dust said:
for this reason, I think a stretched Classic/GCN is the most practical. it's ergonomic, so you don't get hand cramps. and it gives you a small enough size to use your thumb as a stylus for the screen. you have the issue of size, but that's unavoidable when you have to solve the other design problems
If the screen is 6'' , just slapped to a GC pad like most people are doing, will make it huge. And your thumbs (even both of them) won't be able to cover the hole screen area. Also being too wide pushes the center of gravity away from your hands so operating the screen while holding it with 1 hand could be uncomfortable.

For me? Nintendo including 6'' screen per controller is very hard to picture, one per system seems more plausible.
phisheep said:
It's never over ...

Except the Wii does just that, at least potentially :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0JBliDjjxU&feature=related

bidaum

phisheep said:
Be handy, though, for reading in-game text if you are playing on an SD TV - tiny text was a bit of a plague this gen.
Wouldn't a better font be a much cheaper easier option for that problem? ...that seems like a design issue.

bidaum said:

Nintendo have said in the past that they would not release a console with HD being its only selling point. While it'll definitely be cool to see Nintendo properties in HD, it is not going to be the focus of the system.

They will also need quite a bit of horsepower to render to 4 of the rumored 800x500 screens, so the beefy hardware might be used however developers see fit. Nintendo have also stated in the past that whether a game is presented in HD or lower might be taken on a case by case basis. Having a game like Wii Sports be in HD is really besides the point. Who really cares if it is or not?

emb

bidaum said:

I think that's the point. HD is the standard now, but I'm guessing there is still a nice chunk of people who don't own an HDtv; especially if we extend consideration to those outside of the normal "gamer" audience. That way they could take full advantage of their screen space, while not really gimping the eyes of people with SDtvs. The idea (as I imagine it) would be very similar to their implementation of 3D.

But that's the problem I keep coming up with if I try to think about where these rumors might lead. It all seems too reminiscent of a portable system to me. *shrugs*

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Suzzopher said:
So, are Nintendo actually live streaming their meeting? Or was that just wishful thinking?

Very wishful thinking.

Also if they are going to say anything on Tuesday, there's the possibility of something in Nikkei tomorrow.

bidaum

emb said:
I think that's the point. HD is the standard now, but I'm guessing there is still a nice chunk of people who don't own an HDtv; especially if we extend consideration to those outside of the normal "gamer" audience. That way they could take full advantage of their screen space, while not really gimping the eyes of people with SDtvs. The idea (as I imagine it) would be very similar to their implementation of 3D.

But that's the problem I keep coming up with if I try to think about where these rumors might lead. It all seems too reminiscent of a portable system to me. *shrugs*
So I'm a little confused (<-- not being sarcastic), is the argument that if you have an SDtv you can play the game on the controller for a better image? I must be misunderstanding what you mean...

wsippel

Banned
Suzzopher said:
So, are Nintendo actually live streaming their meeting? Or was that just wishful thinking?
They're streaming all investor briefings. Every single one. This one is no different. It's really nothing special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom