• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiltz

I hope this new controller isn't going to be too gimmicky. It's great that Nintendo likes to seperate itself from the competition by being unique but it can come at the cost of being impractical.

Nintendo has to offer more of what third-parties want and less about what it wants in terms of hardware features or it will yet again risk alienating third-party developers.

Based on the 3DS, it doesn't sound like it has learned its lesson. Miyamoto said that the 3DS could have had a second analog stick/slide pad but thought that it wouldn't be needed IF developers used the motion control right. Well, here's the thing, Miyamoto, everyone doesn't think like you. Besides, do you really want to put that must trust in third-parties again?

bidaum said:
So I'm a little confused (<-- not being sarcastic), is the argument that if you have an SDtv you can play the game on the controller for a better image? I must be misunderstanding what you mean...

Well, playing on the controller still wouldn't be HD, but it would be 16:9 at least and probably look a bit more crisp.

emb

bidaum said:
So I'm a little confused (<-- not being sarcastic), is the argument that if you have an SDtv you can play the game on the controller for a better image? I must be misunderstanding what you mean...

I'm sorry, I was rather unclear there. The issue is displaying text and other detailed information that doesn't scale down to SD very well. Could probably also help people with bad eye-sight.

Then again, Nintendo might not follow the trend of making everything so tiny just because it's HD.

wsippel said:
They're streaming all investor briefings. Every single one. This one is no different. It's really nothing special.

why aren't other companies as transparent as Nintendo? streaming investor meetings, releasing invester Q&A, and I'm sure they subtitle those meetings too :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From The Dust said:
why aren't other companies as transparent as Nintendo? streaming investor meetings, releasing invester Q&A, and I'm sure they subtitle those meetings too :lol
Most companies actually do have a live financial call that includes a Q&A session and then post a transcript later.

The only thing that really makes Nintendo different is the video component.

Fourth Storm said:
Well, playing on the controller still wouldn't be HD, but it would be 16:9 at least and probably look a bit more crisp.
Well let's not go to the extremes, it won't look better. But what's worth to point out is that 16:9 6'' screen that you are holding inches from your face its very easy and comfortable to see. The user won't be straining his eyes or anything. Plus the use will vary from game to game.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
From The Dust said:
so maybe a leak from Nikkei later tonight?

If there's any substance to any of this, something will be in Nikkei tomorrow or Tuesday.

They basically seem an official leak, in the same way as Apple sometime do things. Assuming Nintendo are going to say something at the meeting.

Hiro

Banned
If they are streaming the 2011 event, rather than just posting it up as an afterthought as has been the case in previous years, is that what makes the 2011 event potentially special?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hiro said:
If they are streaming the 2011 event, rather than just posting it up as an afterthought as has been the case in previous years, is that what makes the 2011 event potentially special?

Have we actually had a confirmation of a live-stream that isn't GAF -> Internet -> GAF though?

I'm assuming at the moment it will be the same as previous years.

wsippel

Banned
From The Dust said:
Some people tend to forget that every once in a while, but Nintendo is a publicly traded multibillion dollar company. They have to be transparent. And they usually even dub the meetings.

MisterHero said:
so did NES, but both gamers and developers complained when Nintendo had some amount of quality assurance

it can be argued that all Nintendo's quality assurance did was make sure a shitty game could turn on, but maybe a stronger set of standards can work today

or maybe not. lol Nintendo (nor anybody else) can't win

The steps Nintendo already took during the 8-16 bit era to prevent a slide back into the Crashed state of the market was enough to force developers away from them in enough numbers to the apparently greener pastures of other systems was enough to help Sega and Sony establish themselves as viable competitors in the video game market and, combined with some missteps during the 64-bit era, cost them the leadership of a market they practically resurrected by hand. Even today they face the stigma that caused. No way they try to establish any sort of quality guidelines now.

Nirolak said:
Most companies actually do have a live financial call that includes a Q&A session and then post a transcript later.

The only thing that really makes Nintendo different is the video component.

never knew it was so frequent. I should pay more attention to the financial aspects then

Refreshment.01 said:
Well let's not go to the extremes, it won't look better. But what's worth to point out is that 16:9 6'' screen that you are holding inches from your face its very easy and comfortable to see. The user won't be straining his eyes or anything. Plus the use will vary from game to game.

I didn't mean to say it would look "better," but would hopefully prevent the blurry text when scaled to SD, such as in Dead Rising.

From The Dust said:
so maybe a leak from Nikkei later tonight?
Since the annual report is being released on the 25th, we could get something as early as tonight. Though that's only if the release is in the morning, JP time, which very well might not be the case.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
bidaum said:
It seems kind of odd, for this to be Nintendo's HD debut so to speak, for them to then make a controller with at least one purpose being to not need the HD tv.

Not at all. I believe one of the heads of Nintendo was quoted as saying that when they made their HD console that HD wouldn't be the main focus.

MisterHero

Fourth Storm said:
I didn't mean to say it would look "better," but would hopefully prevent the blurry text when scaled to SD, such as in Dead Rising.
There's no problem with the hardware that causes that.

Devs like Capcom just outright ignored the need for SD settings/text/HUDs. If they really wanted to be complete, they could have done it, even with any of their later games (ex: movelists in SF4 and MvC2 and probably MvC3). SMH Capcom

Having played and loved the original DR in SD to completion, I really should give Chop til You Drop a rent though

Fourth Storm said:
No prob man, didn't meant to imply you said it'll look better. I was steering the discussion into something more meaningful, because the hole blurry/tiny text issue is easy fixable from the developer side. What happened in Dead Rising was an oversight from Capcom.

edit:just seconds apart from Mister Hero :D

wsippel

Banned
Father_Brain said:
Since the annual report is being released on the 25th, we could get something as early as tonight. Though that's only if the release is in the morning, JP time, which very well might not be the case.
I believe they usually release their reports immediately after Tokyo Stock Exchange closes, which should be in about ten hours.

EDIT: Or maybe we'll get something sooner:

Jesse Divnich
Ok. Enough fun. Off to Kyoto...I wonder what I will find?
vor 58 Minuten

wsippel said:
I believe they usually release their reports immediately after Tokyo Stock Exchange closes, which should be in about ten hours.

Interesting. But any news will probably just be there when I get up tomorrow and Tuesday, then. Not staying up until 3 AM EST, let alone an hour or more past that.

MisterHero said:
There's no problem with the hardware that causes that.

Devs like Capcom just outright ignored the need for SD settings/text/HUDs. If they really wanted to be complete, they could have done it, even with any of their later games (ex: movelists in SF4 and MvC2 and probably MvC3). SMH Capcom

Having played and loved the original DR in SD to completion, I really should give Chop til You Drop a rent though

Refreshment.01 said:
No prob man, didn't meant to imply you said it'll look better. I was steering the discussion into something more meaningful, because the hole blurry/tiny text issue is easy fixable from the developer side. What happened in Dead Rising was an oversight from Capcom.

edit:just seconds apart from Mister Hero :D

Thanks for the clarification, guys. And yeah, I need to play the DR games, myself (only played a tiny bit of the first). As a Zombie fan, I'm amazed I haven't gotten around to them yet.

Zeal

Banned
correct me if i'm wrong, and i probably am, but i've never heard of nintendo streaming an investors meeting or making it publicly available, because isn't that for...you know, investors?

moreover, would we really hear something about their new hardware from such a business oriented event?

wsippel said:

Ilook foreward to the 10-20 pages I'll have to read after I return from work if that's the case. ;)

Dascu

Zeal said:
correct me if i'm wrong, and i probably am, but i've never heard of nintendo streaming an investors meeting or making it publicly available, because isn't that for...you know, investors?

moreover, would we really hear something about their new hardware from such a business oriented event?
You're very right not to get your hopes up. I expect Iwata to say something like the official name for the next console, perhaps a tidbit about the controller and of course that more info will follow at E3. It's unlikely that we'll actually get to see the new console, let alone its software, at this investor meeting.

Branduil

Fourth Storm said:
Nintendo have said in the past that they would not release a console with HD being its only selling point. While it'll definitely be cool to see Nintendo properties in HD, it is not going to be the focus of the system.

They will also need quite a bit of horsepower to render to 4 of the rumored 800x500 screens, so the beefy hardware might be used however developers see fit. Nintendo have also stated in the past that whether a game is presented in HD or lower might be taken on a case by case basis. Having a game like Wii Sports be in HD is really besides the point. Who really cares if it is or not?
Where did the 800x500 come from?

antonz

Zeal said:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/index.html
They have a long history of their investor meetings being publicly viewable. Its because Investors are not all Japanese.

The Investor meetings are always where they unveil new stuff. Pandoras Tower etc was revealed at the last meeting. Anything revealed on the Wii 2 will be very basic. Much like the 3DS info it will be hey it exists it.It can do this. see ya at E3

wsippel

Banned
Dascu said:
You're very right not to get your hopes up. I expect Iwata to say something like the official name for the next console, perhaps a tidbit about the controller and of course that more info will follow at E3. It's unlikely that we'll actually get to see the new console, let alone its software, at this investor meeting.
I think Jesse Divnich would be a bit disappointed if that was all:

Ok. Enough fun. Off to Kyoto...I wonder what I will find?
vor 1 Stunde

I am now off to Tokyo!
20 Apr

3 Days till Tokyo....I wonder what I will see? Or better yet, play? I am told my "socks will be knocked off".
18 Apr

I'll do just about anything if there exists a chance I can play hardware and games before anyone else. I'll be safe.
18 Apr

Hiro

Banned
Zeal said:

They have made the investor meetings publicly available since at least 2006, I've already pointed this out and so did the article I linked, which itself links to the publicly available videos of previous years' investor meetings.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dascu said:

They've announced and shown new games, peripherals and services (such as the 3DS Eshop) at previous Investor Meetings. Not a new system, but it's not unthinkable.

Also, just saying "We can confirm we shall be releasing a new console in the next financial year, but have nothing further to say at the moment" would just lead to the media all over the official announcement but regurgitate all the recent rumours as facts to fill in the blanks. Nintendo definitely wouldn't want that.

So we'll probably either get a) a good chunk of info, just not an E3 style blowout or b) absolutely nothing at all.

nintendo-project-cafe-20110421004125347.jpg

From IGN's front page, where the fuck is that from?

I guess it's supposed to be a pure black SNES?

antonz

Hero of Legend said:
http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/article/116/1163325/nintendo-project-cafe-20110421004125347.jpg[/IMG

From [URL="http://www.ign.com/"]IGN's front page[/URL], where the fuck is that from?

I guess it's supposed to be a pure black SNES?[/QUOTE]
Yes they just made an SNES black. They claim they are told it looks like a modernized SNES thats roughly original 360 size

wsippel said:
I think Jesse Divnich would be a bit disappointed if that was all:
Divnich (possibly) getting an advance look at Cafe doesn't mean it's reasonable to assume that everything he sees will be made public prior to E3.

Dascu said:
I'm just trying to keep everyone's hopes down, so in case nothing happens, I can be all: "I told you so!!"

you cannot deny my god given right to get hyped over pointless, little "facts"!

CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
That IGN pic just screams trolling, if none of this turns out to be true it's going to be hilarious.

Come on Nikkei, put us out of our misery or the madness that has taken over the PSN thread will consume this one as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom