• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeioIIDX

I'm thinking the controller will probably have a touch screen or a touch pad similar to the one on the back of the Sony NGP. If they're trying to recapture the hardcore demographic, I doubt they will add too much more to the controller than that. I love how comfortable the GameCube controller is, hopefully the new one is comfy and ergonomic too!

TUROK

Jonnyram said:
It's hard to believe a company that has made a significant amount of cash over the last few years selling low spec machines at a massive profit, would suddenly turn around and make a machine with higher spec than any of its competitors and take a bath on the price of the hardware. I have no doubt at all that Nintendo will release an HD console this year or next, but I really can't see it being a huge jump over the competition.
This is probably Nintendo's way of saying "my bad, we fucked up".

Anyways, a new Nintendo console that actually feels worth the money would be nice. Not trying to flamebait, but I could never convince myself to purchase a Wii.

Willy105 said:
That made it a better game though. And we like that.

I don't like "slow" in my fighting games, being able to visually react to too much stuff kills a lot of mix-ups. Besides, tactics suffered from the removal of options, whether they were actually absent or had become inefficient.

Seriously, the only other game to give me a similar feeling in that regard was SoulCalibur 3. As in, it's like nothing is worth doing because the risk/reward almost always sucks. :/

Suggesting that Sakurai should be kicked out is ridiculous though. Brawl is what it is because Sakurai had specific goals at the time, and his reasoning made sense (well mostly). I think he's perfectly capable of delivering a game that would satisfy those who've been disappointed by Brawl.

... and HD LANDMASTERS!!!!

Oh God I had forgotten all about that. The hilarity.

M74 said:
I can't shake the feeling the whole industry is just trolling us.

Neither can I. I wouldn't say it's too good to be true, it just feels like the timing is awkward. We've basically been given enough time to think that this gen was going to last much longer, and then this happens.

Einbroch

Banned
Teetris said:
Probably yeah, but hey, having an HD screen in there would make it weird to swing around

Nintendo's probably addicted to the bank they're making of off peripherals and extra controllers so they're just going where the money is.

Maybe they are going with both classic and motion controllers in the console pack after all
Or it would be awesome. HD screen lights up blue/green/whatever you swing it while playing a Star Wars game. It's like a real lightsaber!

Amir0x said:
4 swords WAS pretty awesome

hey add that to another GCN game I loved!

Also, add Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Totally not the bucket bitch! I refuse to be the bucket bitch for no man!

God why was GCN so fucking awesome?
Dude yes

Crystal Chronicles was amazing

TUROK said:
This is probably Nintendo's way of saying "my bad, we fucked up".

Anyways, a new Nintendo console that actually feels worth the money would be nice. Not trying to flamebait, but I could never convince myself to purchase a Wii.

Except they DIDN'T fuck up.
But there's too much competition in the ultra casual market now.

Face the demons you know, not the ones you don't.

seady said:
It will be 'significantly' powerful than PS3/360, but will be underpowered again against Xbox 720 (assuming release at holiday 2012) and PS4 (holiday 2013).

However, if history is any indication, the first system to arrive will usually have great advantage as it set the footprint for developers to follow. The PS2 and 360 are example of this. However, I am not sure Nintendo is a company that is good at following up with developer support and create strong and long lasting community.
I doubt the 360 successor comes out in 2012 as well. We would have heard something by now if it was.

I think both the next Sony and Microsoft consoles come out in 2013 so Nintendo should have 2012 all to itself to get as big of a lead as possible.

I wonder if the new Nintendo system will be powerful enough to allow for concurrent development of third party titles along with the next Sony and Microsoft systems. I somehow doubt it and kind of expect a similar scenario as present: one version for the underpowered Nintendo system and another for the more powerful Sony / Microsoft systems.

Boney said:
036yh.jpg

Yoshinori Ono "confirms" that could be presented a new desktop system from Nintendo.

Thus, players could be facing one of the possible bombing that Nintendo would have prepared for the E3 in Los Angeles, the arrival of Wii 2 could be imminent.

All this information has come through the words of one of the people most is betting on Nintendo 3DS, Yoshinori Ono, Capcom and developer already has a review of Super Street Fighter IV on Nintendo 3DS.

It is well known for their support in the handheld, has confirmed that Super Street Fighter IV will have connectivity to a video game system, but can not confirm until three months, coinciding with the E3 in Los Angeles. They suggest two things very interesting in his words, the first that the games could be patched and updated to offer new content and the aforementioned Wii 2 could be presented at the Nintendo press conference.

Fucking Ono...

kaiwing

While I would love a graphical beast these days it's just not necessary. Pc games used to be up and above consoles and look at them now. Even dedicted ones with no ports are just a few resolutions higher with some minor graphic effects extra. I think that Nintendo just took a step back this era and saw that as long as games are fun they'll sell regardless of graphic supremity. The new system is probably going to be slightly stronger than the PS3 using dvd18 for storage ( why pay for blue-ray if they're realistically not going to use it) using the same 3DS functionality ( friend codes, store...) with the controller using a HD touchscreen like the DS.

Think about it for a second... why add a screen and not be touch. Standard controls and touch for switching weapon loadouts ( surgical tools too, c'mon Trauma whatever ), using items, drawing spells, notes on the fly (3DS). Upscale old Wii titles and port over DLC (3DS) and many will trade up. When Sony's and Microsoft's systems come out it will be like Crysis 2 all over again. Yeah, they look better but it's not a huge difference that games can't be ported over unlike now. They can also be complete bastards and design the controller like the current classic one add the screen, 512MB, and just let you play nes and snes games on the controller while someone plays on the system with another.

There will certainly be movie playback on Wii2 from Blu-Ray and Netflix, but one major question is storage space. Could Nintendo go for SSD 1.5 or 2, at a 128gb. Talk about nearly zero load times. I doubt they'll go with SSD, but a brotha can dream.

Amir0x

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Dude, the Gamecube sucked.

And THAT is why we make fun of today's nintendo fans.

All modern Nintendo fans that think GCN sucked will be shunned when the old Nintendo returns for the crown. Deniers refused.

_Alkaline_ said:

What?

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 games, and I'm hoping to add to that during Gamestop's B2G2 deal coming up. My collection isn't all triple A titles, but there was plenty to play.

Same with the Wii ;p

Amir0x said:

All modern Nintendo fans that think GCN sucked will be shunned when the old Nintendo returns for the crown. Deniers refused.

Ami in five years:

"Hey guys, remember No More Heroes? After the Wii2 came out I grabbed it out of the toilet and started playing it. Best game ever. Remember how fun the Wii was guys?

TUROK

AceBandage said:
Except they DIDN'T fuck up.
But there's too much competition in the ultra casual market now.

Face the demons you know, not the ones you don't.
Well, I meant that more in the sense of Nintendo possibly losing some of their more loyal customers for trying to cater to the more finicky, impulsive demographic.

_Alkaline_ said:
Haha, this guy.

ReyVGM said:
Yes, but it hasn't super mega 1080p enhanced like what Dolphin does. It was 100% original graphics.

Of course Nintendo can work on each game individually and enhance them like Dolphin does, but they are absolutely not going to do it. Too time consuming and complicated.

Wii2 will just play Wii games with better graphics, but it won't be a Dolphin-type of jump.

I still think that if they were able to get a fairly low level solution in place, it wouldn't be too much trouble to render to 1920x1080 framebuffer w/ AA. Sure, there would probably be some games that would break, but maybe not too many. Only Nintendo knows for sure. They might be able to tweak them on a case by case basis. Depending on the architecture, like I said. I doubt it would be like what MS was trying to accomplish with their BC.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Amir0x said:
maybe it's a long form screen that slides out to a full sized one or some shit
High tech future stuff, from Nintendo?

Guess they must be bored swimming into all that cash

Einbroch said:
Or it would be awesome. HD screen lights up blue/green/whatever you swing it while playing a Star Wars game. It's like a real lightsaber!
Yeah, this sounds more like Nintendo. Using HD screens to flash a single color :D

Zinga

Banned
Sounds good but what the next Wii needs is better games, ever since I bought my Wii it has just sat there gathering dust :(

NEO0MJ

udivision said:
Thread title change, BAIL OUT!

Why is it constantly changing? And what's up with no avatars? Can't wait till E3 happens, I mean look how slow NG is running and this is only rumors!

Slayven

Amir0x said:

I read Nintendo threads just for you man. I love when you come in and start splitting wigs with wit.

~Kinggi~

Banned
All i know is that if it is fully backwards compatible with GC and Wii games and can display them upresed to 1080p even if they dont re-render them, im making a mad rush on Amazon for Wii releases i never got cause i dont own the system, as they will probably run out soon enough.

Dreohboy

If they do a modernized WaveRace...and the system were under $400 at launch then I'd consider it.

IF not, I'll run the heck out of the PS3 I'm buying tomorrow until the next Playstation console comes out.

I'm not going to have more than one console in my house, no matter how great the spec's are.

Big One

Banned
AceBandage said:
The screen-controller thing is certainly a rumor at the moment, but the actual system itself isn't. not even sure how it can even be called such when there's multiple sources that confirm the same basic thing and even something from Neogaf too.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just had a couple more ideas about the screen on the controller. I mentioned the configurable controls earlier but wouldn't it be cool if HUDs could be on it. Take more off the screen and in a still easily accessible location.

Amir0x

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Ami in five years:

"Hey guys, remember No More Heroes? After the Wii2 came out I grabbed it out of the toilet and started playing it. Best game ever. Remember how fun the Wii was guys?

I hope you're not implying I used to not like GCN, but now do.

Why don't you suck on this shit?

That's 2006.

I don't fake my likes and dislikes or change by the whims of a corporation. I'm not a fanboy. Might be difficult to understand the mind of someone who is not a fanboy, considering who you are.

Or...

This post in the "What is the most underrated console of all time?" topic!

Jonm1010

Banned
antonz said:
Thats really I think the thing that is gonna be shittiest for Sony. Nintendo revealing their new console is going to be the news of E3. NGP will be overshadowed heavily.

PS3.5 would be a significant boost in power and far more likely to be what the next gen is overall for all parties involved. I anticipate we will see another PS2,GC,Xbox style power spread
Ps3.5 doesn't sound significant to me. If the average gamer can barely notice a difference in graphics you'll lose right out the gate trying to play the graphics card to the hardcore gamers. If they want the hardcore crowd it's all in or bust. But given nintendos unwillingness to make a console at a loss I still think Nintendo at the end of the day is going to be not insignificantly less powerful than the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom