• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
Sutton Dagger said:
Can Dolphin emulator GAF shed some light on the possibilities of upscaled regular Wii games? Is it technically possible on the new system?

I love the build up to new consoles, it's always so exciting. :)
Not possible at all. What is possible, however, is porting the games which I could imagine happening quite easily. Wii/GC classics line, anyone?

LCfiner

Dan said:
Backwards compatibility would strike me as really hard to have with significantly changing controllers... Wait, unless you can just use Wii controllers for that purpose. Probably that.

this. all it needs for backwards compatibility (consumer facing stuff, I'm talking about) is a port in the back for someone to reuse their wii sensor bar. everything can be sold separately. they don't NEED to be tied to the wiimote form factor as the basic controller.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If the launch is really late 2012, do we think we'll actually see footage of anything at E3? Or just a general announcement?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
sprsk said:
Return of the VMU!
Yep, but in this age of iPad, maybe you can download small games from an app store for it and take it out with you in public? If it really has an HD screen, it could be a portable media player and console controller rolled into one.

Giolon

There will be a screen in the controller - because each controller will be a 3DS!

That's right, $250 per controller.

I'd lol if it were true. Then I'd cry. Then I'd buy it anyway.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
If the launch is really late 2012, do we think we'll actually see footage of anything at E3? Or just a general announcement?
Tech demos are pretty likely if they're bothering to even mention it.

Think like the Move and Kinect reveals.

Pachter vindicated eey? Hasn't he been saying there will come a WiiHD "any day now" since 2008?

Or am I missing a recent prediction from him?

Neuromancer said:
Evilore lost 'em

SHNOOOOOO!!!!

EDIT 5: CVG reports all new controller with built-in HD screen.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-2012-sources/

Quote:
What's most exciting about the Wii successor however is its all-new controller, which industry sources have indicated is not simply an upgraded Wii Remote, and will even feature a built-in HD screen.

Our sources did not specify whether or not the controller displays will feature any other functionality, such as that of the DS's touch screen, but it's easy to imagine the sort of innovation an extra screen could bring to Wii 2 games.

"Nintendo's plans sound unreal," one source said. "Publishers are already planning launch titles and it's all very exciting.

"The hardware is even more powerful than current HD consoles and backwards compatible with Wii. The controller will be all-new and has a HD screen on it."

Wow, I didn't say this to anyone, but I had a quick thought of this, but dismissed having screens on controllers because it sounded unreal... This would be fucking awesome.

I wonder how they intend to deal with the exploding cost of graphics with a machine that (Supposedly) powerful. Do they intend to use the system as much as they can, graphically or is it essentially there to have a nice, high ceiling?

I still really hope that the system is very online-lite. Seriously, online fucked over the XBox360 and PS3 to the point of just being awful for players like me who just want solid single player based games. Perhaps thats why we're seeing smaller games, indie games and apps explode. Aside from being able to buy entire downloadable games, online has just bet a complete negative on this generation as far as consoles are concerned. I don't know why consoles have this problem while PCs don't.

I don't mind motion controls. When used intelligently they really bring a nice element to the game, ala Metroid Prime Trilogy, No More Heroes, Red Steel 2. Because of that, the Wii has been the last bastion of hope for me. If Nintendo dives headfirst into online without doing anything to correct the PS3 and XBox360's bullshit I'm done with consoles.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
A new controller with the HD screen, and while being able to sync up a Wiimote to the 'Wii HD' would seem most logical. It would seem improbable that the HD screen controller would have all the same motion control aspects of the Wiimote itself.

Amir0x

Banned
StickSoldier said:
Wow, I didn't say this to anyone, but I had a thought of this, but quickly dismissed having screens on controllers... That would be fucking awesome.

psst SEGA thought of it first. go play Dreamcast and fulfill your dreams and fantasies now! no need to wait!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nirolak said:
Tech demos are pretty likely if they're bothering to even mention it.

Think like the Move and Kinect reveals.

What did they do in 2005?

30SomethingGamer said:
im a huge xbox 360 microsoft guy but if Nintendo releases a 1080p all gaming console I will be getting it Day 1.

Am I the only one who saw this gem?

Didn't know people like this still openly existed on GAF.

Souldriver said:
Pachter vindicated eey? Hasn't he been saying there will come a WiiHD "any day now" since 2008?

Or am I missing a recent prediction from him?
Nope that's it

He was right and those who laughed at him are forever shamed

Jonnyram

It's hard to believe a company that has made a significant amount of cash over the last few years selling low spec machines at a massive profit, would suddenly turn around and make a machine with higher spec than any of its competitors and take a bath on the price of the hardware. I have no doubt at all that Nintendo will release an HD console this year or next, but I really can't see it being a huge jump over the competition.

Dennis

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Evilore lost 'em

He just took them

weekend_warrior said:
b2dTH.jpg

Einbroch

Banned
Mortrialus said:
I still really hope that the system is very online-lite.
I know, opinions are opinions, but...no.

Can you imagine Smash Brothers with working matchmaking, gamertags, clans, challenges, etc etc?

Online is a plus.

Nintendo could easily put together a system that takes a steaming pile on the competitors in 2011/12. Just look at what we have in notebooks and think what be achieved with more room.

The only problem I see is the controller take up a lot of the cost of the launch bundle.

Jonnyram said:
It's hard to believe a company that has made a significant amount of cash over the last few years selling low spec machines at a massive profit, would suddenly turn around and make a machine with higher spec than any of its competitors and take a bath on the price of the hardware. I have no doubt at all that Nintendo will release an HD console this year or next, but I really can't see it being a huge jump over the competition.

Why not?
Making a PS3+ console wouldn't cost them that much these days.
And they can't rely on motion controls and casual gimmicks, since that market is too red now.

Amir0x

Banned
sprsk said:
Yeah I guess I still don't care, lol.

But hey, 4 Swords!

4 swords WAS pretty awesome

hey add that to another GCN game I loved!

Also, add Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Totally not the bucket bitch! I refuse to be the bucket bitch for no man!

God why was GCN so fucking awesome?

Jonnyram said:
They would have to try hard to design a machine less powerful than the PS360.

Big One said:
Not possible at all. What is possible, however, is porting the games which I could imagine happening quite easily. Wii/GC classics line, anyone?

Yeah I thought so, a 'classic' line would be a great substitute, even via download (yeah right).
Thanks for the info.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Amir0x said:
come on. you really think Nintendo is gonna abandon motion controls? Come on. Come on.

I mean I would die laughing after all the Nintendo fans have to fall over themselves to act like they never liked motion controlled gaming but personally there's no chance of that imo. Motion control gaming will remain.
Probably yeah, but hey, having an HD screen in there would make it weird to swing around

Nintendo's probably addicted to the bank they're making of off peripherals and extra controllers so they're just going where the money is.

Maybe they are going with both classic and motion controllers in the console pack after all

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man it would be awesome if the controller was all a screen with gyros in it, a trigger button, and the button layout was customized on a game by game basis.

Neiteio

So... This is exciting and all (you saw how pumped I got for the 3DS!), but what's the point of a high-def screen on a controller, exactly? I mean, I can understand the interface advantages, but... Why high-def? Is high-def even perceptible on a screen that small? I was always under the impression you can't even notice the benefits of HD unless it's a screen 40 and up.

EDIT: Also, all the Pachter naysayers (I think nothing of the guy myself): Everytime you comment on him, in praise or sarcasm, you still make his stock go up. I mean, Editor X at Casual Publication Y just has to log on here periodically and they'll see thread titles with "Pachter" in them... It's kind of like Paris Hilton, or the Kardashians. Famous for being famous, but without the ass.

Wait, is Paris Hilton still alive?

Amir0x said:
psst SEGA thought of it first. go play Dreamcast and fulfill your dreams and fantasies now! no need to wait!

Haha, I completely forgot about the VMU. I was all over the Sonic one, with the little chao things or whatever they were called. My life has meaning again!!!

Foil

Mortrialus said:
I still really hope that the system is very online-lite. Seriously, online fucked over the XBox360 and PS3 to the point of just being awful for players like me who just want solid single player based games. Perhaps thats why we're seeing smaller games, indie games and apps explode. Aside from being able to buy entire downloadable games, online has just bet a complete negative on this generation as far as consoles are concerned. I don't know why consoles have this problem while PCs don't.

What in the world are you talking about here? There are tons of great single player experiences on those platforms...

NEO0MJ

schuelma said:
What did they do in 2005?

They showed a few tech demos like one where you control a plane by holding the wii remote like a toy plane, a tennis game where you hold the wiimote like a racket and a version of metroid prime playable with the wiimote. All of them behind closed doors though so no vids or screens, only impressions.

Amir0x

Banned
Teetris said:
Probably yeah, but hey, having an HD screen in there would make it weird to swing around

Nintendo's probably addicted to the bank they're making of off peripherals and extra controllers so they're just going where the money is.

Maybe they are going with both classic and motion controllers in the console pack after all

maybe it's a long form screen that slides out to a full sized one or some shit

Neiteio said:
So... This is exciting and all (you saw how pumped I got for the 3DS!), but what's the point of a high-def screen on a controller, exactly? I mean, I can understand the interface advantages, but... Why high-def? Is high-def even perceptible on a screen that small? I was always under the impression you can't even notice the benefits of HD unless it's a screen 40 and up.

HD in this case would be High Density. Not 720p. Just a really good LCD screen.

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
4 swords WAS pretty awesome

hey add that to another GCN game I loved!

Also, add Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Totally not the bucket bitch! I refuse to be the bucket bitch for no man!

God why was GCN so fucking awesome?
oh shmucks

a new good crystal chronicles?

haha like that's ever gonna happen

Einbroch said:

Can you imagine Smash Brothers with working matchmaking, gamertags, clans, challenges, etc etc?

Online is a plus.

Its considerably preferable to having to pay $60 for the next Super Mario Galaxy only to have to pay an additional $15 dollars to unlock half the game, or having achievements break immersion, or having the single player campaign bent over a table specifically so they can focus on the team based competitive online.

Fuck what online has done to the last generation.

udivision

Einbroch said:

Online is a plus.
Mario Kart's superior online has kept me playing it ever since I bought it. And it's online isn't anything special. And I didn't even like Mario Kart until Double Dash. But Smash? That was my favorite franchise. But thanks to it's online, I never play it.

In conclusion, good online is a good time.

GDGF

Soothsayer
H_Prestige said:
No. This only happened once (GCN).

They did a decent job with the N64, too. As a matter of fact they got the price of that down 50 bucks lower than was originally announced*

*N64 was originally set to release at $249.99, but it was lowered to $189.99 before launch.

antonz

Neiteio said:
I think its going to be a High Density Screen if real not a high Definition one. It would have a high pixel density etc. Alot of Cell phones have similar screens and they are called HD Screens even with sub 480P resolutions

jackdoe

Neiteio said:
Heh. If the HD controller screen is true, I would laugh my ass off if it had a higher screen resolution than the 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom